Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

11th Feb 2021

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The FA Cup, a home tie against a fellow PL low on confidence, a QF place on the line.

At the time, many of us were frustrated, annoyed bordering on angry, a line up sent out to give the fringe guys a go in a season destined to mid table wilderness.

The way things panned with the luck of the draw, it looked even worse, an up and down championship team separated us from an FA cup semi final again had we gone through against the eventual, arguably beatable, winners.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence the decision appears to have been made a week ago, off the back of a day that showed what could have been.

I watched that thinking the same and if I’m honest hoped the late Chelsea goal would stand stand just to quash that feeling of it could, maybe should, have been us.

After the final result, I had that feeling, I can’t recall if I posted on here, twitter or if it was just a message in a group chat after the whistle but I wasn’t the only one. Missed opportunity.

It’s not the only date, I think lockdown killed our momentum the previous season as I’ve said and genuinely believe without that we’d have done something special that season but I think this turned out to be a significant date for our club.

After an FA cup semi final collapse, a European QF disaster and the league top 4 challenge ‘collapse’ seeing what turned out to be a winnable FA cup thrown away IMO will probably end up be a significant date in our clubs history, I really hope it turns out to be for the positive.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The FA Cup, a home tie against a fellow PL low on confidence, a QF place on the line.

At the time, many of us were frustrated, annoyed bordering on angry, a line up sent out to give the fringe guys a go in a season destined to mid table wilderness.

The way things panned with the luck of the draw, it looked even worse, an up and down championship team separated us from an FA cup semi final again had we gone through against the eventual, arguably beatable, winners.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence the decision appears to have been made a week ago, off the back of a day that showed what could have been.

I watched that thinking the same and if I’m honest hoped the late Chelsea goal would stand stand just to quash that feeling of it could, maybe should, have been us.

After the final result, I had that feeling, I can’t recall if I posted on here, twitter or if it was just a message in a group chat after the whistle but I wasn’t the only one. Missed opportunity.

It’s not the only date, I think lockdown killed our momentum the previous season as I’ve said and genuinely believe without that we’d have done something special that season but I think this turned out to be a significant date for our club.

After an FA cup semi final collapse, a European QF disaster and the league top 4 challenge ‘collapse’ seeing what turned out to be a winnable FA cup thrown away IMO will probably end up be a significant date in our clubs history, I really hope it turns out to be for the positive.
You just portrayed the date in a lousy way but yet you hope that the day “turns out to be for the positive”.
Hard to fathom this reasoning.

Coops

Reaction score
You make your own luck dont count on other teams to f' up.

Momentum is made by the players on the pitch and the manager and coaching staff managing them.

Being an elite team only requires 1% difference and we need to be sure our entire squad is pushing towards that.

YamYamWolf

Reaction score
If we take off the rose tinted glasses, there are a lot of moments like this. Throwing away Europe last season isnt talked about enough for example. BUT as much as I've slated this season, I love Nuno. Everything he has done for Wolverhampton in general should not be forgotten. Lets not point fingers at moments like this. This season has been a mess but FA cup should be the bottom of the "we ****ed up" list

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You just portrayed the date in a lousy way but yet you hope that the day “turns out to be for the positive”.
Hard to fathom this reasoning.
As that date, imo, was a poor day for us in hindsight and the point I’m making is that after a club in a similar situation went on to make the most of what IMO turned out to be a miss opportunity for us, our owners decided something had to change.

I think there’s a correlation there and as a supporter of Wolverhampton Wanderers I sincerely hope that this decision, which IMHO does have a strong link to this date, turns out to be a positive for our club when we reflect back on this.

It may, or may not, turn out to be positive but I genuinely think this date/game has had a significant affect on the future of our club.

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we take off the rose tinted glasses, there are a lot of moments like this. Throwing away Europe last season isnt talked about enough for example. BUT as much as I've slated this season, I love Nuno. Everything he has done for Wolverhampton in general should not be forgotten. Lets not point fingers at moments like this. This season has been a mess but FA cup should be the bottom of the "we ****ed up" list
We’ll have to disagree, I don’t believe if we’d have taken the FA cup game against S’ton with the importance it could have had and with the way the draw worked out, a win would have put us wins against Bournemouth and Leicester away from an FA cup final.

To me in a season that ended up destined for mid table, that’s where we ****ed up.

YamYamWolf

Reaction score
We’ll have to disagree, I don’t believe if we’d have taken the FA cup game against S’ton with the importance it could have had and with the way the draw worked out, a win would have put us wins against Bournemouth and Leicester away from an FA cup final.

To me in a season that ended up destined for mid table, that’s where we ****ed up.
I agree mate that an FA Cup run is all we had but in the grand scheme of things I can understand why he did it to an extent.

Ps. Nice to talk to someone with a different opinion without being called a muppet.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think what's clear now wasn't so clear three months ago, we were running on empty and had numerous players near or in the 'red zone'. We had to make sure at the bare minimum we got through the league season unscathed, if that meant sacrificing the possibility of a long cup run (when in all likelihood you're coming up against a big head that will knock you out at some point) then it meant the cup took a back seat.

I'd be astonished if the cup game against Southampton had any bearing what so ever on the news today

Nivada

Reaction score

Losing one nil in a European Quarter Final to a giant from Spain is hardly a 'disaster'

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
I think what's clear now wasn't so clear three months ago, we were running on empty and had numerous players near or in the 'red zone'. We had to make sure at the bare minimum we got through the league season unscathed, if that meant sacrificing the possibility of a long cup run (when in all likelihood you're coming up against a big head that will knock you out at some point) then it meant the cup took a back seat.

I'd be astonished if the cup game against Southampton had any bearing what so ever on the news today
I’d agree with this. I think the fact that we’ve played almost 100 games with by and large the same group of 20 or so players with very little recovery time in between has killed us in the last 25-30 games.

I get the sentiments about the cup run but I’m not sure we should be using hindsight to suggest we could have won the cup. If you take any Wolves persuasion out of it, we were very fortunate to get past Chorley the round before. The round before it was a bit of Adama magic to decide a drab game. When you think three of the semi-finalists were City, Chelsea and Leicester, it would have been a very difficult competition to win. Not like, 2 years ago where the semi-finalists were City, us, Watford and Brighton.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We.
Might.
Not.
Have.
Drawn.
Bournemouth.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment of the thread, I still can’t get my head around people still don’t get this pretty basic fact.

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If only we hadn't qualified for the Europe league, we wouldn't have had the disaster of losing to the winners in the QF

If only we had lost to Shrewsbury, Liverpool, Man Utd or Bristol City, we wouldn't have had the disaster of losing in the semi final.

If only Nuno hadn't taken the championship by storm, and got is into 7th twice, we could be taking about how Eddie Howe blew finishing 6th, being edged out by Barnsley

Anything can be twisted, can't it

Jesus wept

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I get that people didn't like the decision, even though at the time most of them were also concerned about relegation. the league win that followed was pretty important in curbing those worries.

What I find bizarre is the idea that the first team who have barely put in a good performance since, would have gone on to win the Cup.

Wolferoo

Groupie
Reaction score
We failed to beat Leicester twice this season and didn't even look like we had the know how to so I wouldn't take it for granted that we would have reached the final.
Even if we had, we would not have beaten Chelsea. Leicester rode their luck in that final and scored a screamer with their only shot on target. We would not have kept a clean sheet and don't have the attacking weapons Leicester had.
Yes we may have beaten Southampton that day but we were still miles off from winning the cup.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep. Had Raul scored that pen, things could have been very different. Not saying we would have won the Europa, but the amount of times we've beaten Man Utd recently, there's a good chance we'd have got to the final.

Back
Top Bottom