Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

100 Years ago

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The upcoming season will mark 100 years since our inaugural season in the 3rd tier when we kicked off the 1923/24 season in Division 3 North.

At the time this was quite a shock to see a founder member of the football league fall so far. A regionalised 3rd tier had only been introduced in the1921/22 season and Wolves suffered a disastrous 1922/23 division 2 campaign finishing rock bottom with just 9 wins all season and the seemingly age old problem of a lack of goals, netting just 42 times in 42 games, leading to relegation.

The 1923/24 season was by contrast a complete turnaround and Wolves outclassed most of the division just losing 3 times and scoring 76 goals in 42 games as they ran out champions. This was our first ever divisional title win.

In the era of 2 points for a win, Wolves amassed 63 points (87 if converted to 3 points for a win) but were run close for the title by Rochdale.

For travelling supporters, there were visits to Rochdale, Barrow, Durham, Ashington, New Brighton, Bradford Park Avenue and Hartlepools amongst others.

Goal machine Tom Phillipson was signed for £1000 from Swindon scoring 12 in 23, Welshman Harry Lees top scoring with 21 in 40 games and at the other end keeper Noel George kept a remarkable 23 clean sheets in a 42 game season.

The team debuted the now familiar gold shirt this season (replacing the black and gold stripes) and the season marked the beginning of a slow climb back to the top flight which was achieved with promotion in season 1931/32.

We’ve come a long way since then, we have a long and proud history to be proud of and our current troubles can perhaps be put in perspective when we look back.

I wonder if the club will be marking this centenary in any way? Any mixers have any press clippings / pictures of that remarkable season to upload?

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The upcoming season will mark 100 years since our inaugural season in the 3rd tier when we kicked off the 1923/24 season in Division 3 North.

At the time this was quite a shock to see a founder member of the football league fall so far. A regionalised 3rd tier had only been introduced in the1921/22 season and Wolves suffered a disastrous 1922/23 division 2 campaign finishing rock bottom with just 9 wins all season and the seemingly age old problem of a lack of goals, netting just 42 times in 42 games, leading to relegation.

The 1923/24 season was by contrast a complete turnaround and Wolves outclassed most of the division just losing 3 times and scoring 76 goals in 42 games as they ran out champions. This was our first ever divisional title win.

In the era of 2 points for a win, Wolves amassed 63 points (87 if converted to 3 points for a win) but were run close for the title by Rochdale.

For travelling supporters, there were visits to Rochdale, Barrow, Durham, Ashington, New Brighton, Bradford Park Avenue and Hartlepools amongst others.

Goal machine Tom Phillipson was signed for £1000 from Swindon scoring 12 in 23, Welshman Harry Lees top scoring with 21 in 40 games and at the other end keeper Noel George kept a remarkable 23 clean sheets in a 42 game season.

The team debuted the now familiar gold shirt this season (replacing the black and gold stripes) and the season marked the beginning of a slow climb back to the top flight which was achieved with promotion in season 1931/32.

We’ve come a long way since then, we have a long and proud history to be proud of and our current troubles can perhaps be put in perspective when we look back.

I wonder if the club will be marking this centenary in any way? Any mixers have any press clippings / pictures of that remarkable season to upload?
I love reading about our history. However, I’m scarred enough by Wolves in the 80’s without having to recognise another previous historical disaster. What next, celebrate our double dip as it preceded promotion back to the Championship?

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I guess it shows @Timberwolf that a lot of these things are cyclical and we should enjoy the good times before the cycle turns and we have to endure the lean years again

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Probably one or two went to all the games :tearsofjoy:

Jack Russell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thanks for that Boss. An excellent summary. The 7-1 win at Ashington didn't do us any harm!

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

BSK has still got some pics on his phone! Sorry BSK, I really promise this will be the last time I reference you in 'history' threads. Believe me it's done with good heart and genuine respect for your knowledge of our great club.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Always quite fancied a return to the gold and black stripes. Maybe even to the gold and black diaganal halves of even further back in our shirt history? Perhaps not for a whole season, but as a one off for a special game or tournament - should we ever play in one!

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
Thought our original strip was red and white stripes - please correct me if I'm wrong

Monk

Groupie
Reaction score
Thousands missed out though .............. they were busy queueing up for the Chorley replay tickets !!
And were charged 5 ginueas for them to be printed out

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought our original strip was red and white stripes - please correct me if I'm wrong
I understand that was one of a number of strips worn in the very early days. The gold and black tradition goes back a long way though. They certainly wore the halves in 1893, when they won the cup.
( it seems they adopted a gold and black strip of some kind in 1891.)

Last edited:

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we had a spell with blue and white stripes too :oops:, but 1923/24 marked the debut of our now familiar gold shirt

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we had a spell with blue and white stripes too :oops:, but 1923/24 marked the debut of our now familiar gold shirt
Yes, blue and white best forgotten! I think we can say that anything prior to taking up the old gold in 1891 is just pre-history. The gold and black stripes were there for a very long time, but I think the relegation and the subsequent return in the plain gold shirt made it a kind of omen. Never to return to stripes.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

the gold shirts had a V in black at least on the front but white shorts.
We were always noted for scoring goals as stated on another thread we were the first to score 7,000 goals and
even now are third in the list

Back
Top Bottom