Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

10 games in

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Earlier this season Kenny Jackett mentioned several times that we shouldn't start to conclude about our abilities till we've played ten games or so. We are now 10 league games into the season, and I'm wondering, on an overall, how good/bad have we been?

Sorry if this seems like an unnecessary thread, but me (and others, I suspect) have not attended any games this season. I've seen the ones on telly, but we've looked horrible in all of 'em. Surely we've been better on an overall.

So please, share your thought. Would appreciate some feedback.

On a 1-10 scale, how do we look:
- in defence
- in midfield
- in attack

Thanks.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
6 defence
5 midfield
9 strikers.

We let opponents so many chances each game.

Midfield goes missing and is bypassed.

Strikers take there chances at the very few they have got

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Defence is only an 8 when Ricketts is at left back , midfield still looks woefully slow and one dimensional

T

Tatter306

We’ve conceded fewer goals than anyone else in the division and, considering the whole of the back four are either new to the club or relatively inexperienced, i think we have very little to grumble about.
Ikeme has been good but generally not overworked.
9/10 for the back 5

We haven’t created as many chances from midfield as I would like, have tinkered with the system and personnel too often and have struggled to track runs from midfield.
5/10 for the midfield 4

Joint 5th highest scorers in the division – so playoff form up front - and whenever Griffiths or Doyle have been missing we’ve looked far less likely to score. A lack of strength in depth could bite us if either of those two is injured.
7/10 for the front 2

D

Dewsburywolf

We’ve conceded fewer goals than anyone else in the division and, considering the whole of the back four are either new to the club or relatively inexperienced, i think we have very little to grumble about.
Ikeme has been good but generally not overworked.
9/10 for the back 5

We haven’t created as many chances from midfield as I would like, have tinkered with the system and personnel too often and have struggled to track runs from midfield.
5/10 for the midfield 4

Joint 5th highest scorers in the division – so playoff form up front - and whenever Griffiths or Doyle have been missing we’ve looked far less likely to score. A lack of strength in depth could bite us if either of those two is injured.
7/10 for the front 2

I'm sorry but could you clarify who you're counting in the midfield 4? If as some you count Sako as a midfielder (4-4-2 he could be classed as thus) then surely your stats are wrong. In a 4-3-3 (wide left attack) then maybe your stats hold water

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with most others, defense has been pretty solid, and we're looking OK up front, maybe could do with a little more cover in case of injuries. Midfield has been the week point, though not disastrously so. Also think its partly down to other teams upping their game seeing us as a big game. So far teams havn't been parking the bus. I think this has in part been down to midfield as teams see they can compete in this area. If we improve the midfield I can see teams changing tactics and more of them parking the bus shutting up shop and trying to nick something. The danger for us with this is if we don't improve midfield enough we may then struggle to supply the extra quality of service to the front players to break down these teams and goals may dry up. So yes we should improve in midfield but when we do we must also learn to cope with teams shutting up shop against us

T

Tatter306

I'm sorry but could you clarify who you're counting in the midfield 4? If as some you count Sako as a midfielder (4-4-2 he could be classed as thus) then surely your stats are wrong. In a 4-3-3 (wide left attack) then maybe your stats hold water

I haven’t used any stats I’ve given an impression of how the midfield (including Sako) have performed.
I’ve given them 5/10 which to me is average, would you say they’ve been better than average?

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How people are rating defence so highly is beyond me. If other teams finishing was better we would have lost a lot of games.

And if ikeme wasn't so on form we would also have lost more.

Defence looks solid before he changed it round to fit in golbourne.

I would say 8 with stearman CB and ricketts lb but 5 or. 6 with golbourne in for stearman.

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Won't do scores, I will say that the quality of our individuals has been enough to keep us near the top rather than the quality of our team

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think 5/10 for the midfield is a little bit harsh. We've been bypassed a few times, but we're still scoring from midfield and providing lots of assists for strikers. 6.5 might be a fairer score, I think

H

Hathwolves

Agree with most others, defense has been pretty solid, and we're looking OK up front, maybe could do with a little more cover in case of injuries. Midfield has been the week point, though not disastrously so. Also think its partly down to other teams upping their game seeing us as a big game. So far teams havn't been parking the bus. I think this has in part been down to midfield as teams see they can compete in this area. If we improve the midfield I can see teams changing tactics and more of them parking the bus shutting up shop and trying to nick something. The danger for us with this is if we don't improve midfield enough we may then struggle to supply the extra quality of service to the front players to break down these teams and goals may dry up. So yes we should improve in midfield but when we do we must also learn to cope with teams shutting up shop against us

I think we have struggled with midfield when teams step up to us. We have looked strongest and most impressive when teams sit back and try to park the bus. Look at Gillingham and at times against Colchester. When opposition push up and close us down, that's when midfield has struggled.

Overall, I would rate us so far as 7-6-7. Room for improvement, and I think we look stronger with Doherty, Baath, Stearman and Ricketts as a back 4. With these, i'd push us up to an 8 at the back. We are missing a ball winner/enforcer in midfield, and up front, we seem to be taking chances when they come.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Ikeme 8
Defence 7
Midfield 6
Attack 6

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Stop bringing this up whenever possible. Midfield we play with 4 players. Now back to the thread.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People on here are pretty fickle! Whenever we lose or play poorly slating the team all over! Only remember the last game 3 0 away where we kept a clean sheet.

H

Hathwolves

People on here are pretty fickle! Whenever we lose or play poorly slating the team all over! Only remember the last game 3 0 away where we kept a clean sheet.

We played well for a fair spell of that game, although I don't think we really got out of 2nd gear. Colchester had a few gilt edged chances though, and I think that's one of the reasons I have slightly marked us down. Apart from Gillingham, every team has had good spells where if it wasn't for good goalkeeping and poor finishes, we could've lost more.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think we have struggled with midfield when teams step up to us. We have looked strongest and most impressive when teams sit back and try to park the bus. Look at Gillingham and at times against Colchester. When opposition push up and close us down, that's when midfield has struggled.

Overall, I would rate us so far as 7-6-7. Room for improvement, and I think we look stronger with Doherty, Baath, Stearman and Ricketts as a back 4. With these, i'd push us up to an 8 at the back. We are missing a ball winner/enforcer in midfield, and up front, we seem to be taking chances when they come.

Agree we've struggled in midfield against teams with better midfields who have stepped up in midfield. I'm not sure I would say Colchester or Gillingham set up to park the bus, but they were not as strong in midfield, so out midfield had more time on the ball and were able to play and we looked stronger. I guess what I meant by park the bus was the 10 players behind the ball approach with a lone striker up front. I think if some of the stronger teams come and set up more defensively against us we will struggle to break them down with the midfield we have at the moment

Sedgley Gold N Black

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Defence
Ikeme - Has won us several points this season with some great saves, without him we'd have conceded a lot more. A few shakey moments though and always feel he could make a $$$$ up. 8
Doherty - Very solid defensively and great going forward. He's been very consistent too and has picked up a couple of assists. 8
Batth - Superb centre back and like Doherty he has been very consistent too. 8
Ricketts - Has played at both LB & CB, brings the ball out well and seems to be a good leader and organiser. I think as a team we're more solid with him at LB rather than CB. 7
Golbourne - Slightly mixed feelings, he seems rather poor defensively especially compared to Ricketts but he is very good going forward. Has filled in and done a job at LM too but I feel he is the weakest point of our defence. 6
Stearman - Has been in and out of the team, has made a couple of mistakes but on the whole he's been decent at this level and I prefer him to play with Ricketts at fullback. 6

Midfield
Sako - Hopefully the stuff with Forest has finally gone away so he can get back to concentrating on us, despite all of that he still has 5 goals and 3 assists. He's a match winner. 8
McDonald - Another who I have mixed feelings about, he hasn't been bad but he needs to offer a lot more imo. Our creativity from CM has been poor and he is our most creative, he needs to start chipping in with goals and assists. 6
Davis - Started off well but has struggled to get back in the team since his ban. 5
Evans - Has done well so far for his debut season, lacks consistency though as expected and final decision making needs to improve but that will come with experience. 6
Price - Been very impressed with him since he's came in. Hope he can keep it up over the season. 7
Henry - Impressed at Colchester, less so against Notts County, would be unfair to rate him on those two games.
Zeli - his recent omission seems strange, he's raw but you can see his potential and is exciting to watch. 6
Edwards - useless and seems to have fallen considerably down the pecking order. 1

Forwards
Grffiths - His all round game is impressive and I love his attitude. So Clinical. 8
Doyle - You can see him class, hopefully his confidence is coming back and he can start chipping in with the goals on a regular basis. 7
Sigurdarson - still hasn't had a proper run in the XI , decent cover but isn't going to get the goals Griffo can. 5

H

Hathwolves

Agree we've struggled in midfield against teams with better midfields who have stepped up in midfield. I'm not sure I would say Colchester or Gillingham set up to park the bus, but they were not as strong in midfield, so out midfield had more time on the ball and were able to play and we looked stronger. I guess what I meant by park the bus was the 10 players behind the ball approach with a lone striker up front. I think if some of the stronger teams come and set up more defensively against us we will struggle to break them down with the midfield we have at the moment

I know what you mean. The thing is, are there any teams this year that would have that strong a defensive unit and be able to operate that way? Genuinely not sure from what I have seem so far this season. I think a lot would depend on how deep their midfield would sit. We have the players with the skill to unlock defences if you look at some of the goals we have scored. I just worry about movement at times- we do tend to not be as fluid as other teams.

1908radford

KJ is doing a top job building from the back we are now very solid in defence for the first time in 3 years...midfield is still not right yet although the Colchester game looked much better.
We have more then enough firepower for this division.
Defence 9
Midfield 6
Attack 9

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All in all it's still work in progress and given the amount of personnel changes to the spine of the team I think we're certainly progressing nicely.

Defence 7/10 - Although our defensive record looks great on paper we still allow too many simple opportunities to the opposition each game. I've lost count of the number of one on ones Ikeme has stopped so far this season and against a better quality of opposition I think the goals against column would look a lot different.

For me we've looked much more solid recently with Stearman back in the side and Ricketts shifted out to the left. Doherty's threat going forward has been pleasing too.

Midfield 5/10 - Whilst the introduction of McDonald and Price in the middle of the park has improved the way we move the ball about we still struggle when we aren't in possession. In most games this season we have allowed the opposition to take control of the midfield for large parts of the game. Our inability to win the ball high up the pitch and reliance on the opponents making a mistake causes us to sit too deep and isolate the front line. In addition the midfield 4/5 has lacked cohesion, our right side has been a problem personnel wise. Hopefully the introduction of James Henry will provide more balance to the team, rather than us trying to shoehorn Sigurdarson onto the wing or rely on the inexperience of Ismail.

Attack 7/10 -

When given the ball in decent positions Griffiths has looked a real threat, his goals have certainly helped to propel us up the league. He works hard to chase the opposition down but like a number of recent forwards he can find himself isolated and chasing hopeful up and unders.

Doyle has really stepped up his performances since his recall to the team, he seems really up for the challenge and now doesn't seem to fall over or get nudged off the ball half as much. Whether that's down to Jackett or the change in personnel to the team I don't know but he looks a different player to the last couple of years. Hopefully his new found confidence will result in him finding his shooting boots.

Sako has contributed going forward and weighed in with a few goals from out wide which is good to see. Sig has flattered to deceive but rarely gets to play down the middle thanks to Doyle's form and Cassidy has had little chance to make an impact but has looked off the pace when called in.

If somebody had said to me at the start of the season we'd have lost once, drawn a couple and won the rest in the first 10 games I'd have taken it. For me results have been good, it's just unfortunate that we've been matched by Peterborough and bettered by Leyton Orient resulting in us being in 3rd. I'm pretty sure our record would have seen us top in most seasons. Confidence is ever so slightly starting to return to my matchday experience; however this is Wolves so I'm fully expecting a glut of injuries, being on the receiving end of some woeful refereeing decisions and a poor run of form.

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know what you mean. The thing is, are there any teams this year that would have that strong a defensive unit and be able to operate that way? Genuinely not sure from what I have seem so far this season. I think a lot would depend on how deep their midfield would sit. We have the players with the skill to unlock defences if you look at some of the goals we have scored. I just worry about movement at times- we do tend to not be as fluid as other teams.
At this level maybe not, I guess we'll find out if/when it happens. Agree our movement fluidity of passing hasn't looked that good, we always seem to try and pass to feet with the recipient of the pass stationary rather than the recipient making a run and the passer playing the ball into space for the player to run onto and take in their stride, maybe that will just take a bit more time to get the required level of understanding between players

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sheriff Woody; If somebody had said to me at the start of the season we'd have lost once said:
how many have we drawn ? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most of these score look like the vital statistics for an anorexic chihuahua, which in fairness could do a job in midfield.

Defence, reasonable, but often helped by some truly woeful finishing.

Midfield still our worse area, the balance is not right yet, but Price and Henry have started well.

Attack... I like Siggy, but worry if LG or KD pick up an injury

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Generally disappointed by the performances but thrilled by the results. Defence and attack sound, mf still not settled and if we miss out this season it will be this area that will be responsible.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ikeme 8
Doherty 7
batth 8
ricketts 7
goldbourn 6
stearman 6
McDonald 6
price 6
Edwards 5
henry 6
davis 6
evans 6
sako 7
doyle 7
Griffiths 6
siggy 6

as a team 7

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Defence 9
Midfield 6
Attack 8

My personal favoured back 4 are Doc, Batth, Stears and Ricketts - I feel this is the best back 4 and are most solid with these.

Midfield has been non existent most games this season but matchwinners have papered over these cracks.

Without Doyle and Griffiths we will not score goals. Pure and simple. Both have been excellent so far.

Barnet Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd give us a 6 overall. We're not playing good football but we're getting the results. If we get promoted next season we'll get found out again because we still can't retain possession and pass, and if we make it to the rpem then it's straight back down.

Unlike most on here, I'm not focussed on the results, I'm more concerned about changing the culture of how we play from total asswipe to something resembling 21st century football

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd give us a 6 overall. We're not playing good football but we're getting the results. If we get promoted next season we'll get found out again because we still can't retain possession and pass, and if we make it to the rpem then it's straight back down.

Unlike most on here, I'm not focussed on the results, I'm more concerned about changing the culture of how we play from total asswipe to something resembling 21st century football
Interesting what you say Barnet. I've banged on on here for many seasons now about our style of play and how reactionary and out of date it was. There seems to be a view among many Wolves fans that the MM kick and rush style was the way this club played historically and that was that. It has frustrated the hell out of me esp when you see clubs adapt their football style of play and progress, noticeably Swansea, Norwich, Soton and Wigan. If they can do it why can't we?
I think this season is a results season tbh and if playing poorly we can still get promoted then reluctantly so be it. I think football is moving on fast and unless KJ can get us playing in a more fluent way we will stagnate again for years in the 2nd tier and our support will fall away.

Chungster

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Interesting what you say Barnet. I've banged on on here for many seasons now about our style of play and how reactionary and out of date it was. There seems to be a view among many Wolves fans that the MM kick and rush style was the way this club played historically and that was that. It has frustrated the hell out of me esp when you see clubs adapt their football style of play and progress, noticeably Swansea, Norwich, Soton and Wigan. If they can do it why can't we?
I think this season is a results season tbh and if playing poorly we can still get promoted then reluctantly so be it. I think football is moving on fast and unless KJ can get us playing in a more fluent way we will stagnate again for years in the 2nd tier and our support will fall away.

Possibly the two most significant posts to appear on this forum since its inception.

No doubt they will get steamrollered by the relentless, irresistible tsunami of glib, trite, inane, petty, recidivist, agenda-laden swill that passes for opinion on here sometimes.

Errr...something about spades......????

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom