Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nothing to do with his club management record. He never managed the Spanish national team in the knock out stages.
You'll soon be claiming that the most elite manager ever at national level is Big Sam with his 100% record (1 win out of 1 match) managing England.
Bah, humbug.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was making the point about it, not drawing them in. If it looked like that sorry, I am trying to get the point across that we are told by them to not start dogpiles on posters or attack them.

Well calling them out in a chain of messages with them not being involved is attacking them and then in turn inviting dogpilling.

what is way OTT to one person isn’t way OTT to another….. sorry but we all have different gages on things and how extreme they are.

From when I played rugby and a few others who played high level sport would agree the way your performances as a team or individual would get dissected and how you get spoken to or the way things are said make people on here cry based on how sensitive they apear to seeing player criticism of a performance!!!!!

You wouldn’t like to hear how some players talk to each other in team meetings even after a win if you think some of the views here are “way OTT”

Olympic athletes rip apart medal winning moments trying to find that elusive 1%….. they are brutal when reviewing tape and so are their coaches. So even winners are brutal in their reviews, it is how you get better.

Some people are passionate and enthusiastic, so to them, they are just speaking. To others they see it differently
you’re doing tnay
Shi is a puppet to a point, but at the same time, he does run the club. There isnt really any excuse for him not to have known what our likely financial situation for this season, or when he appointed Lopetegui. He knows the books at the club. There is no way even as a puppet chairman he wouldnt know how much money was coming in and out.

He's basically an actor playing the role of a chairman if he doesnt know whats going on here.
Build in the significant uncertainty from China in recent years and it puts a different slant on things.i’m not giving him a free pass whatsoever, but i do feel there’s more than him simply being incompetent.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'll soon be claiming that the most elite manager ever at national level is Big Sam with his 100% record (1 win out of 1 match) managing England.
Bah, humbug.

The opposite. The elite are the very best, who win trophies over a long period of time. A very good manager, will be someone who can consistently take clubs to the next level and Lopetegui has not even done that.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is ok to diminish the achievements of JL when putting him down and then bigging up Moyes who **** the bed totally at United!

Jl isn’t allowed to have credit for anything…… but Moyes who has won **** all other than the made up third tier European tournament that is predominantly contested by crap teams and lopetegui made our best team in decades look like school boys on his way to also beating United and inter Milan to win the Europa league….. did West Ham beat any major teams to win the conference league? Only Fiorentina in the final…. The rest was teams like anderlecht and genk…. Hardly powerhouses of the game are they? So JL won a higher competition and beat far superior teams to do so.

…… Lopetegi broke a centenary record at sevilla, something stourport refused to acknowledge in his long post about how **** he is…..

I don’t think what Moyes did at United is a yardstick for whether he is elite or not (he’s not, neither is JL). Some real proper elite managers in Moutinho and LVG equally failed there.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
The only thing that is relevant to me, is Shi has given us 7 years in the Premier League and got us performing as a consistent mid table team. When was the last time that Wolves were in the top flight for 7 seasons?
As I've said, Fosun have done many good things, I'm not having a go at their ownership overall, only breaking down some of the individual actions. Nuno was genius, Sellars was a disaster, Lage actually IMO a reasonable gamble. Thing is I'm here to look at what is right and wrong with the club. My point from day one on this is that it's Shi's behaviour which is the real issue for Wolves, a failure to see that (and your venomous hatred of Lopetegui colours your judgement and that of others) meant it would be repeated. Guess what, it was in January, if it happens again in the Summer we're likely to be repeating the cycle of,
mess up-get a good manager in-fail to back him-annoy him so he leaves again. That'll be the 3rd time.....

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL just didn’t sign up to save Wolves twice. He signed up to save us once, get to Europe the next season and vamos off to a massive club, which would’ve been a good deal all-around, the club said not-so-fast, then JL said F this.
If he was that good, he'd have proven it and got us into Europe, a bloke with a years experience, had us pretty close at one point.

The situation changed, he couldn't or wouldn't adapt, and the toys went out the pram...

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
he’s been absolutely shown up by a novice manager in GON who has worked with pretty much the same squad barring a few additions.
Has he though? Genuine question!

It looks like we’re going to finish 14th, with a massive slump due to small squad and lack of investment in key areas and the manager being messed around in the January window.

Isn’t that why he left?

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he was that good, he'd have proven it and got us into Europe, a bloke with a years experience, had us pretty close at one point.

The situation changed, he couldn't or wouldn't adapt, and the toys went out the pram...
Why do you keep banging on about him staying and proving it when he left because he lost all trust in anything Shi says?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has he though? Genuine question!

It looks like we’re going to finish 14th, with a massive slump due to small squad and lack of investment in key areas and the manager being messed around in the January window.

Isn’t that why he left?
Didn’t JL think the squad was relegation material? While we’ve slumped we’ve not flirted with that in the slightest. Either way I’d say he’s shown him up because he’s a novice PE teacher who Bournemouth didn’t want but has done better than his elite level predecessor thought he could do. Plenty of pundits had us nailed on in the summer for relegation

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

Pretty close at one point is the whole point though. Had to overload the players, who then broke down, because he didn't have the squad options. Exactly what Lopetegui said was the issue. Lage got us much closer, we're probably going to finish 13th.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because people keep banging on about being lied to. The landscape changed, happens all the time in business, be mature and deal with it.
When and why did the landscape change?

A Shi knew about it and didn’t tell Lopetegui before he joined us
B Our finance department are incompetent and and no clue what money we had available?

Either is no fault of Lopetegui so why should he hang around?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

B Our finance department are incompetent and and no clue what money we had available?

Maybe the people above Shi changed the amount of money that was available?

Maybe we realised that any ffp failure was going to have stronger punishments?

We just don’t know.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A manager who will walk out on them in a couple of years? ;)

He's a good manager, I'm not sure West Ham are fashionable enough for his ego however,
I honestly do see your point NWW, and as you know I'm not GON's biggest fan and I'm essentially a Lop fan boy. But I don't think he's the snake he's made out to be... reckon he'll do well there, and (reasonably) amicably move on somewhere bigger afterwards.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Maybe the people above Shi changed the amount of money that was available?

Maybe we realised that any ffp failure was going to have stronger punishments?

We just don’t know.
The first one still makes him a liar though, as he told us that PSR was the reason we could not spend (in the same statement when he told us the coaches were working hard to prepare the team for the season - forgetting to mention Lopetegui had already told him he was leaving)

So if you want to defend him, you're left with the second one. He was intending to break the rules and then the PL meeting scared him. That's not really a great look either is it?

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Because people keep banging on about being lied to. The landscape changed, happens all the time in business, be mature and deal with it.
If the landscape changed in your job and you had no need to stay as financially you were secure wouldn't you leave and find something you did enjoy doing?

I know I would, why bother being stressed working for a incompetent liar.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think what Moyes did at United is a yardstick for whether he is elite or not (he’s not, neither is JL). Some real proper elite managers in Moutinho and LVG equally failed there.

I said that as stourport was going on about JL and Real Madrid and that tenure not going well, yet when saying how great Moyes is….. neglected to mention Moyes was sacked before the end of the season as there was a break clause for a cheaper pay out if he was sacked before the season ended…..

So both managers have a sacking at a top club on their cv’s something Stourport keeps ignoring

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting discussion with entrenched views, but one thing to note is that Stourport said in advance how it would all pan out with Lopetegui and he was absolutely right. He got a lot of stick being the only poster who spoke out against Lopetegui when he was appointed, but what he said turned out to be totally accurate. At the same time, perhaps Lopetegui was perhaps mislead. Who knows. Except that when he decided to go, he did so with no loyalty to anyone but himself. He trashed and burned Jeff and the club in public and must have made it hard to sell the job to other candidates. He behaved like a child on the touchline, and whatever happened with Moutinho, Raul etc leaves a bitter taste. Anyway, someone quoted Dylan the other day, so you're right from your side and I'm right from mine. Lopetegui did keep us up, but with the players we had he should have done. But only Stourport said how it would eventually go pear shaped and he was correct.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
you’re doing tnay

Build in the significant uncertainty from China in recent years and it puts a different slant on things.i’m not giving him a free pass whatsoever, but i do feel there’s more than him simply being incompetent.

I dont even think he incompetent tbh. He runs the club based on what Fosun tell him. I just dont buy he didnt know we would have been in a mess financially towards the end of last season. Makes no sense to me we suddenly ended up in a huge mess. Even if it was caused by our January spending spree, they would have still known the lay of the land.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting discussion with entrenched views, but one thing to note is that Stourport said in advance how it would all pan out with Lopetegui and he was absolutely right. He got a lot of stick being the only poster who spoke out against Lopetegui when he was appointed, but what he said turned out to be totally accurate. At the same time, perhaps Lopetegui was perhaps mislead. Who knows. Except that when he decided to go, he did so with no loyalty to anyone but himself. He trashed and burned Jeff and the club in public and must have made it hard to sell the job to other candidates. He behaved like a child on the touchline, and whatever happened with Moutinho, Raul etc leaves a bitter taste. Anyway, someone quoted Dylan the other day, so you're right from your side and I'm right from mine. Lopetegui did keep us up, but with the players we had he should have done. But only Stourport said how it would eventually go pear shaped and he was correct.
I don’t remember Stourport saying Shi would move the goalposts 3 times causing Lopetegui to have zero trust in him.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not sa
I said that as stourport was going on about JL and Real Madrid and that tenure not going well, yet when saying how great Moyes is….. neglected to mention Moyes was sacked before the end of the season as there was a break clause for a cheaper pay out if he was sacked before the season ended…..

So both managers have a sacking at a top club on their cv’s something Stourport keeps ignoring

I am not going on about how great Moyes is, I am saying he has been more consistently employed as a club manager than Lopetegui and they statred about the same time. He did well at Everton and West Ham, but it would be as mad to call him elite as it is to say that Lopetegui is elite.

Last edited:

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t remember Stourport saying Shi would move the goalposts 3 times causing Lopetegui to have zero trust in him.
True, he couldn't foresee the specific excuse Lopetegui would give when shafting his employer and club. However, he did say Lopetegui would leave in a blaze of self justification and would publicly have a go at the club. And Stourport got a lot of stick from several of the same posters that are doing the same now. But he was right.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
JL keeping us up was a HUGE achievement and it's mad he's not given more credit for it. We were royally ****ed when he came in. Look at the lack of goals, the pourous defence, a team that had been led by Lage and then Davis, we were absolute cannon fodder.

I bet you he's seen what Emery's done at Villa this season and thought he could achieve that. And I'm just gutted we'll never know. And worried about next season.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
JL keeping us up was a HUGE achievement and it's mad he's not given more credit for it. We were royally ****ed when he came in. Look at the lack of goals, the pourous defence, a team that had been led by Lage and then Davis, we were absolute cannon fodder.

I bet you he's seen what Emery's done at Villa this season and thought he could achieve that. And I'm just gutted we'll never know. And worried about next season.
He did well keeping us up, absolutely. Lemina and Dawson played their part too. He will probably do well at West Ham. In many ways, he's an ideal fit with that club, 100% self confident, 100% self promoting and an **** in victory and defeat.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think it is unfair that Davis should get any blame. He was literally throwing at the deep end and despite being out of his depth, he did his best until Lopetegui was appointed. Wolves were in a mess because of Lage.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He did well keeping us up, absolutely. Lemina and Dawson played their part too. He will probably do well at West Ham. In many ways, he's an ideal fit with that club, 100% self confident, 100% self promoting and an **** in victory and defeat.
I wonder what input JL had in the January window recruitment which played a major part in us staying up. Dawson I’d say he had absolutely zero input into.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it is unfair that Davis should get any blame. He was literally throwing at the deep end and despite being out of his depth, he did his best until Lopetegui was appointed. Wolves were in a mess because of Lage.
Yeah Davis is a good footballing man with a decent career behind him but giving him that gig for so long was a massive error.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The next few months will end any reasonable debate on what the problems are at Wolves.

Season ticket prices, more big sales, another net profit, more shipping high earners and replacing with lower paid players.

As a poster outlined above, there's a high possibility that we are the 15th best team in the league this season (given Everton's points deduction). It's really not that great a season. It was failed in January. And everything Lopetegui feared came to fruition.

They've managed to hide and deflect from our problems for one year, and it's one year more than I thought they would. However, I genuinely fear it's all going to come together in a bad way in the next few months and people will see where we're heading.

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I honestly do see your point NWW, and as you know I'm not GON's biggest fan and I'm essentially a Lop fan boy. But I don't think he's the snake he's made out to be... reckon he'll do well there, and (reasonably) amicably move on somewhere bigger afterwards.
i think he’s got a high opinion of himself, some may say with good reason.

i rate him as a coach, compared to the jon GON has done though, i think it’s difficult disparage GON and be a huge fan of Lop at the same time.

I (mostly) have been consistent in my approach that it is the manner of how he left i take umbrage to, having never truly connected with him as a person in the way I did with Nuno for example.
The GB interviews and crocodile tears just summed it up for me.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Because the world economy is in constant flux, because Wolves are part of a wider conglomerate, because China's view towards foreign investment changes, because football's financial rules are changing etc etc

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But apparently none of that is relevant as it's PSR that was the big problem... lol
I just edited my post as you were posting yours, yes that was another factor, that JL couldn't cope with, I'm a big JL fan , he did a great job, bought some fantastic players in and I'd applaud him on his return to Molineux, however the guy's a Prima Dona!

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The next few months will end any reasonable debate on what the problems are at Wolves.

Season ticket prices, more big sales, another net profit, more shipping high earners and replacing with lower paid players.

As a poster outlined above, there's a high possibility that we are the 15th best team in the league this season (given Everton's points deduction). It's really not that great a season. It was failed in January. And everything Lopetegui feared came to fruition.

They've managed to hide and deflect from our problems for one year, and it's one year more than I thought they would. However, I genuinely fear it's all going to come together in a bad way in the next few months and people will see where we're heading.
Maybe our turnover isn't big enough to meet our ambitions!

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ahem.

Does this mean that Gary O'Neil is definitely not going to be West Ham manager at the beginning of next season?

So, he might still be tempted by the Man Utd reserve team coach role? Yeah?

Back
Top Bottom