Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bournemouth Verdict

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spoken like a true

Spoken like a true Tory.
Ha ha ha says he
Perton the people who didn’t want to be part of Wolverhampton and West Midlands and campaigned to stay in Staffordshire
Perton strong Tory hold with the stupid ex education secretary Gavin Williamson
Ha ha ha do you really know what you’re talking about…………I’ll answer for you as you might get confused and get it wrong…………NO

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Truly awful from tactics to performance.

There was the brief flurry of actual top level football before var said hold my beer and brought below amateur, although I don't believe this is incompetence.

If we sell all our flair players in the summer, who on their game win games for us, we'll be left with a bunch of workers chasing shadows next season, there is a clear predictable pattern to our play and it's not really that difficult to stop on the whole. Injuries aren't an excuse for that. No tempo, no meaningful movement and what looks like a complete lack of what to do in a attackng sense and just hoping for some magic from a flair player.

Last edited:

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We got exactly what we deserved from a ridiculously poor performance. There are no excuses, that starting XI should be producing a performance much higher in quality than that - we were absolutely ****.

The VAR call is up there with the worst imo. Completely inexplicable how that has been ruled out under the guise of a clear and obvious error. The officials in this country are shocking, and VAR is killing what was once a great sport. Yet another goal ruled out where absolutely nobody was questioning it. Ludicrous.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The poor VAR call will probably dominate discussions but, let's not kid ourselves, that was a very poor performance and 1-0 flattered us.

Burnemouth are clearly well-coached and bossed the game from the first whistle whilst we were ponderous and sloppy on the ball. Of the starters only Jose Sa emerges with any credit in my opinion whilst Boubacar injected some much needed energy when he came on.

Doyle was dreadful as was Sarabia and RAN had one of his poorest games of the season.

This reminds me so much of the Lage season where we fizzled out over the last couple of months whist GON must also be feeling a sense of deja-vu as his Bournemouth team also faded badly over the last 6 games last season.

We need to buck our ideas up on Saturday or we will be facing a fifth straight home defeat.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since going out with a whimper v Cov we have played 6 PL games. P6 W0 D2 L4 Pts 2.

We need to stop the rot before the end of the season, the whole thing looks stale.

Kingswood Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
My GON dislike levels are ratcheting up again. He gets a pass though, but if we're still playing like the last few months in September/October, he's gonna get it.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
That's the worst first half I've seen from us this season, conpletely outplayed and out tacticked.
Some shocking individual performances especially Doyle and Sarabia.
Our play out from the back is so slow and negative it puts us under more pressure.
Second half much better, Chirewa, Bouba and even Doc have us more energy and attacking intent, even if it was a bit uncontrolled at times.
Having said all that we should have got a draw, what a load of garbage var has turned into.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** poor officiating again but don't let that take away from the worst performance of the season (potentially).

Everyone (staff included) were dire tonight by Sa.

Glad Luton is my last game of the season to be honest.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
Another game where we score a goal that nobody in the ground has a problem with and some bloke in a room 100 miles away picks out an innocuous incident to rule it out.

We were dreadful and have clearly reached the point of the season where the impetus has gone and we're literally just fulfilling fixtures because we're obliged to do so. We now seem to do this year after year and usually finish by rolling over at Liverpool.

At least we're consistent.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First replay I've seen he actually pushes Cunha first how the hell is that in anyway a foul against us and robbing a goal ?

Webb will find some crap explanation. But when it comes to it, how the hell does VAR even get involved in that? Potential red card? No. Potential penalty? No. Handball by the goal scorer? No. Interference with the keeper? No. Foul missed by the ref in the final phase? No. But intervene it does, forcing the prat Attwell to review at the monitor, who then proceeds to rereferee the game by overruling the goal and dishing out a yellow. It’s literally everything we were assured VAR wasn’t. But it’s Wolves, so we get special interpretation of the rules which no other club gets before or after.

**** VAR. **** PGMOL. **** THE FA. **** THE PREMIER LEAGUE. I hate them all for robbing me of my favourite sport.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was a Bruno Lage type display. Poor tactically, poor on the ball, very disjointed. Pretty embarrasing display from a reasonably decent team. We might have improved our attacking output more, but defensivley we still look very vunerable and too easy to cut through.

7 games without a win, its going to affect the confidence around the club. If we cant beat Luton i can genuinley see us not winning another game. no wins in 11 to finish the season would be a huge blow to the moral.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Two huge things to improve on that worryingly seem a bit entrenched in the players DNA.
Stop conceding at least one goal virtually every game.
Start keeping the ball better, moving the ball better and looking good value for the points we get.
Bournemouth did both of the above.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see some Cherries fans are finding tonight’s VAR performance amusing to the point of making up crap tweets at our expense. The sooner that little club returns to the obscurity of the lower leagues where it’s festered for most of its existence, and takes their “fans” with them, the better.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still fuming over that ****-show. Even when tired and low on confidence; professional footballers should have more pride and desire that to perform like they did. It's not even unexpected though. We've been getting worse by the game and we've kidded ourselves that when Hwang and Cunha and Sarabia and Neto are back; everything will be OK. Well, 3 of them were back and it was still God-awful.

The VAR call aside, we deserved nothing and the disallowed goal came completely out of the blue. Semedo almost got his one assist a season with a delightful cross and the otherwise anonymous Hwang was in the right place. Of course, VAR had to ruin everything by disallowing it, however, Cunha did strike-out at Kluivert and whether the contact was minimal or not, his petulance gave VAR a reason to disallow.

First half, Sa was the ONLY player that stepped-up. Yes, Sa that most think won't be with us next season, because he can't play football like vintage George Best!
Semedo, Doyle and Gomes were poor. Kilman and Bueno were getting bullied by Solanke, RAN was trying too many show-pony tricks, Lemina tried hard but was ineffective. The rest were OKish, bar Sarabia and Hwang who were abject.

Second half, we were slightly better, but only slightly. It would have been hard to be worse than the first half, but I wouldn't have put it past our lot to have tried!

In contrast, Bournemouth looked like the 1970 Brazil side, slick, confident and pulling Wolves all over the place. Iraola took a while to get going after replacing their last manager, but has really improved them. I've watched them a few times this season and each time they've impressed. It looks like Glasner is doing similar at Palace. Just shows what a decent football manager can achieve!
GON has done well for most of the season at Wolves, but his success(relative) has come from a low level of expectation. Can he take us to the next level with consistently good performances? We need a bigger squad, we need better players and not just 'squad fillers'. Then, we'll really see what GON is made of, but, the honeymoon is over and many more performances like last night and I can see the knives coming out.
There was booing at HT and the final whistle and it wasn't all because of the officials!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The line up wasn’t too bad but it’s clear too many players aren’t fit they are exhausted

Bueno Kilman Semedo Toti RAN Gomes Doyle Sarabia Hwang.. 9 players looked like they was wading through treacle.

If players aren’t 90/100% they shouldn’t play give the likes of Bouba, Chirewa, Fraser or Holman a chance at least they will try their best. Not something we are seeing from a few notably Sarabia

As for the game itself we got totally out played, out fought, tactically out done. A draw would of been good but in reality we was very poor. Jose Sa stopped it being 0-5

As for Kilman what’s the point of him raising his game against the likes of arsenal to look absolutely dog turd against some of the worst teams in the league??

The officials didn’t have a good game for either side. To rule out our goals like that is criminal

The sport and game we once loved is no more.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have no attacking options thst suit his game plan

It works with Neto and Cunha. Not with anyone else

Need to adjust how we play to simply move the ball quickly.

Bournemouth were great and ripped us to pieces. All they did was pass the ball forwards quickly and persistently

We always always go back. Nowhere near enough pass and move into space in front of you

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have no attacking options thst suit his game plan

It works with Neto and Cunha. Not with anyone else

Need to adjust how we play to simply move the ball quickly.

Bournemouth were great and ripped us to pieces. All they did was pass the ball forwards quickly and persistently

We always always go back. Nowhere near enough pass and move into space in front of you
The players are coached this way unfortunately

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still disappointed at how poor we were last night. We had a decent side out but couldn't get near them in the first half. We looked better (though as toothless) against Arsenal. All the mood music seemed to be suggesting we were targeting this game (and the Luton one) as more realistic chances of getting points.

It is no real suprise the season is petering out, but if we continue to put in non-performances like that - the optimism for next season quickly fades away. Particularly if we are looking to cash in on Neto, RAN and maybe Gomes (who was more like poodle than a pitbull last night). There werent many Bournemouth fans there last night, but lots of empty seats in the home end. 25k there in total so maybe the inaction at the club is starting to be reflected in people being bothered to go. Last year the prices went up on 10th May so you'd think that will be similar - cant see that landing well based on current form.

Last time we beat Bournemouth I'm pretty sure GoN went on Monday night football to explain how he outdid his successor. Not sure that will be on the cards now!

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The players are coached this way unfortunately
You’re right on this. Every game I am infuriated by our inability to play through the lines especially centrally. Bournemouth and many other teams seem to do it with ease. Yet we seem to struggle. I can only put that down to the way GON is getting them to play.

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
Didn’t post last night as I was fuming, deflated and just numb if I’m honest. For what it’s worth my take and I’ll try and be constructive…
1. Sa made some important saves and the one on one from Kluivert was world class!
2. Semedo had one of his brain fart games and struggled against the directness of Kluivert.
3. Ait Nouri…way off and not sure where he was playing if I’m honest.
4. Doyle looked lost without being the pivot in the middle.
5. Pitbull and Lemina bypassed way too easily first half and Lemina so deep he must be totally bemused by constant changes in position.
6. Hwang great disallowed goal aside anonymous but in his defence so many balls played in the air to him rather than flat and in the channels.
7. Kilman went from Rolls Royce against Arsenal to Moris Minor! Poor touch for the goal.
8. Doc, Boubs and Chirewa at least looked like they have a damn when they came on. Good cameos!
9. Cunha makes us tick but sometimes comes too deep looking for the ball when we need him up top.
10. Sarabia!….good god! SOOOO frustrating! Moments of brilliance in between the majority of the time bottling tackles, watching players ghost past him and giving the ball away! Drop him now please and play Chirewa! Left semedo isolated so often!

GON - Has to take that one unfortunately. Tried to be too clever to put one over his old team and as a result ended up with a disjointed looking team with no shape, no fluidity, no movement and for what ever reason a lack of fight and effort until too late. No wins in 7 is not a good look and could do with a big performance on Saturday otherwise gonna be a depressing end to what could/should have been a really positive season.

VAR/Darren England/Stuart Attwell - Yeah, what can you say yet again?! Never a foul by Cunha, again checking for no reason and even on checking you could clearly see it didn’t effect Kluiverts ability to close down the ball and ultimately the goal being scored. Hard to not think they are just doing what they can to shaft us week in week out!

Overall, another notch on the depressing end to the season.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Wow. I couldn't really tell, as was listening to it on the radio. Burrows and Naylor were split on whether it was the right call.

But seeing that clip, that's a right joke. Cunha didn't impede their player, and the player didn't react, he just carried on playing. also obvs the ref didn't think so at the time.

So basically VAR is making retrospective decisions on subjective incidents?
I'm afraid to say it's totally corrupt.

I feel very sorry for the fans being milked a fortune every week for this premier league 'product'. How we supposed to enjoy something that's not decided on the pitch anymore, instead in an office miles away.
May as well watch wrestling or something where the outcome is already decided before the event.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apart from Sa that was a woeful performance up to the disallowed goal. Bullied all over the pitch by a Bournemouth side who seemed far more interested than us, though they've retained the diving skills introduced by Howe.
Subs and yet another questionable VAR against us perked us up a little but we still didn't really look like scoring.
From my view in the South Bank, their red looked absolutely nailed on in modern football (despite the joke that VAR was going to reverse it and send Doherty off), so will be interesting to see what grounds they have for appeal.
Overall it looks like our players have finished for the season.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really poor performance. Thoroughly outplayed and outthought. As always, can’t fault the effort but even with the extra man advantage, we looked fairly short of ideas. VAR with its now customary joy-stealing moment but that shouldn’t mask how comprehensively second-best we were.

Bournemouth were superb throughout. Looked incredibly well-coached and their movement and fluidity was streets ahead of ours. Solanke’s hold-up play was excellent, with Kluivert, Semenyo, Scott and Christie all superb playing off him. Kerkez looked a real player until the sending off.

MoM Sa. Thought RAN did ok and Boubacar made a difference.

Sa 8
Bueno 5
Kilman 5
Toti 5
Semedo 5
Gomes 6
Doyle 5
Lemina 6
RAN 6
Hwang 5
Sarabia 5

Doherty 6
Traore 7
Cunha 5
Chirewa 6

What a **** up we’ve made of these last few weeks. As we saw with the Lage season and what followed, it’s not always easy to recover momentum once it’s gone.

What you said in your last part is what i was saying a while ago. We were playing well, and had the momentum and things looked rosy. Now its going in the other way and its going to be hard to turn around.

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The real reason we lost was that we had a Luton fan as referee, he knew we had Luton on Saturday and didn't want us going into that game with any confidence. I'm pretty sure that Wolves made the PGMOL aware of this beforehand but they decided to appoint him for the game anyway.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
one of the worst of the season, we are dejected and low on confidence, need to find a turn around and victory against luton or we may not get a point the rest of the season

with two fit CBs play 4-3-3 with ran as part of the front 3

Gomes had an off game and looks tired while B traore gave us bite and looked excellent when he came on.

Give traore a go and try a fluid front 3, as a sarabia hwang up top does not work!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll take the VAR out of it and talk about the performance: awful.

GON said it himself in his press conference that it was probably the worst one of the season and it’s difficult not to agree. Saying that, the team selection shows me the massive flaw in what GON is about; shoehorning his favourite players in to the starting 11 if they were fit enough to start the game. It’s one of the main reasons we are burnt out and players are dropping like flies - bad luck has also played a part, of course. There was no reason to play the MOTM against Arsenal from that start, there was no real need to play a clearly injured Sarabia ahead of Chirewa or Bueno (moving RAN forward). He clearly doesn’t rate Bueno and Traore and got them out the starting 11 as soon as he could in favour of fatigued players he prefers.

I’m all for a bigger squad but I would still worry about a lack of rotation when he signs new favourites replacing old favourites.

Anyway, I’m gutted we were so poor still.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well done to Bournemouth. They looked good last night. Forward passes and forward runs caused us problems. They pressed us well and when they had the ball we couldn't get near them.

Too many players were off it last night. Semedo finally puts in a great cross but it counts for nothing. A good header from Hwang as well. Oh well. All just a bit poo.

Not many options for the Man of the Match. Sa because he kept us in it, although the Roy Keane in me thinks he did his job. Traore gave us a bit more energy and played some forward passes.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ONeil made too many errors last night in tactics and formation but the biggest errors were dropping Bueno, Chirewa and Traore. All should have started. All are fresh and showed that against Arsenal and both Traore and Chirewa looked far more positive when they came on. We can go on all we like about tired players but I start to lose sympathy when you leave out players that are fresh.

Wolf in Kenilworth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We move the ball SO slowly. The same labored pass from right to left at the back and then a clip down the wings to nothing.

Where is the playing through the middle, where is the pace.

There was a spell of about 5 minutes when Chirewa came on (who has a bit about him by the way) when we were playing quick, one touch football.

The players looks tired and on the beach mentally.

I predict we won’t win again this season and it’s a big summer for us.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ONeil made too many errors last night in tactics and formation but the biggest errors were dropping Bueno, Chirewa and Traore. All should have started. All are fresh and showed that against Arsenal and both Traore and Chirewa looked far more positive when they came on. We can go on all we like about tired players but I start to lose sympathy when you leave out players that are fresh.
Absolutely.
It’s like going on about a small squad, but when you have 2 extra players (silva and Sasa) not using them, causing them to want to leave to get game time.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We move the ball SO slowly. The same labored pass from right to left at the back and then a clip down the wings to nothing.

Where is the playing through the middle, where is the pace.

There was a spell of about 5 minutes when Chirewa came on (who has a bit about him by the way) when we were playing quick, one touch football.

The players looks tired and on the beach mentally.

I predict we won’t win again this season and it’s a big summer for us.
The issue is that if we end the game on a 10/11 winless run, where does that leave us? I know injuries have ****ed us a bit, but that would be nearly a third of the season.

Back
Top Bottom