Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Anyone else thinking sod it

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Family situation changed so person I go with isn’t going. No plans to renew. VAR not the reason, although fed up of the passion killer in our game. Quick Look at linesman and away we go was fine by me. Penalty at OT - no chance - no different now even for common assault.

Will get membership and attend a few games when able. Should be easy to get a ticket!!

Still a fan! UTW.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Next season don’t worry there is VAR use for corners, free kicks and throw ins!!

I have been saying this for ages. That this is where the current direction takes us if we keep going along it. Football will turn into something like American Football. With teams taking 2 -3 mins to take free kicks, it's already getting to that. Short bursts of football with long pauses for the set pieces.

Logically, it never made any sense to not have checks for second yellow cards, also free kicks and corners. Because all can be match changing moments. The problem is that VAR was not implemented how we all thought it would be over the years. Something invisible most matches, only interrupting for something like the Maradonna or Theirry Henry (v Ireland) handballs once every few games. If you are going to VAR check every goal, every possible penalty and red card, then ignoring yellow cards, free kicks and corners seems inconsistent.

The choice is one of 2 directions: realise that there are too many subjective yet totally match changing moments in a typical match, so scrap VAR. Or use VAR for more and more of those moments. The latter course was always more likely.

In the long term, I think there has to be an increase in the details of rules and definitions , especially for "contact". It's the only way to get over the inconsistencies and subjectivity. You either accept the subjectivity as a big part of the attraction of the game - fast, straightforward,. Or go into things like defining the angles and force of which contact is fair and which is not. Then real time AI systems will be the judge. There's a Black Mirror episode somewhere in this!

loppers86

Reaction score
Next season don’t worry there is VAR use for corners, free kicks and throw ins!!

wow! up till now i have been whinging about going non league. if there is a grain of truth about var being used for throw-ins then I’m 100% out of here and off to aggborough on an ST. No question about it!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
wow! up till now i have been whinging about going non league. if there is a grain of truth about var being used for throw-ins then I’m 100% out of here and off to aggborough on an ST. No question about it!
Unfortunately so. Enjoy the non league hope you get to see a fair few grounds

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure I can be ***** driving down from Nottingham on Saturday.

Context: I used to count down the days until my next trip to Molineux.

I used to travel up from the South West about 13 or more times a season for a good few years then Moxey got appointed and I could see the way it was going to go. In the end I was only going for the beer, food and a day with my mates. The club itself was clearly becoming squeeze the pips of the fans organisation. While I loved Banks's Mild and Cheese and Onion cobs I could not justify the 7 to 8 hours travel and expense to watch a spreadsheet select eleven play.

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
Must admit, I've been giving serious consideration whether to renew my ST for next season, Wednesday was a bit of a tipping point to be honest. But then again, isn't that just giving in? It shouldn't be fans walking away from the game, what needs removing is the idiots that are ruining it.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure the vast majority of 'local' fans will continue to go next season. The ones who've been killed off, I believe, are fans like me who travel long distance. Nothing on earth would get me to travel more than say an hour to go to a game now and there is no way I'd ever spend money on a hotel for an evening game.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I'm sure the vast majority of 'local' fans will continue to go next season. The ones who've been killed off, I believe, are fans like me who travel long distance. Nothing on earth would get me to travel more than say an hour to go to a game now and there is no way I'd ever spend money on a hotel for an evening game.
I know a few local fans who are not renewing because of VAR. I think clubs are seriously underestimating just how much the fans hate it.

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
A heartfelt appeal to all clubs and supporters of the beautiful game to just sack VAR off!
This is not football as we know it or knew it.
Time to make a stance and follow a none VAR afflicted team!
Shrewsbury Town is my choice, local to me! But possibly a better footballing experience and affordable over a season!

jackdusty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm only 15 miles away and i'm out.

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I know a few local fans who are not renewing because of VAR. I think clubs are seriously underestimating just how much the fans hate it.
You know you hate it when even the opposition have scored and there's a VAR delay, and you just don't care whether we'll benefit or not, just wanna get on with some football instead of waiting around for someone to forensically check everything.

The coventry goal was like that, I was just like give them the goal and let's try and turn the game around, like a proper game.

Also is it just me, but every single goal we score feels like there's a var check, like every single one? Haven't noticed so much with other teams goals.

Give it a few years and the fans will be so desensitised to scoring goals, we'll just sit quietly when we score, and there will be mild applause if VAR can't find a way to disallow it. (Although they'll probably still disallow one because Mario lemina was aggressively running in the build up)

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I travel a long way for each home game (4 hours each way). I go to around 14 home games every season and away games when I can get a ticket. Midweek games are mostly not possible for me. I've lived varying distances (Wales, London, Birmingham, Leicester) but have lived in Newcastle for around 25 years now, so this is the furthest I've ever had to travel. There have been seasons when I haven't been able to go as much (young kids, certain jobs, etc.), but I have never thought of packing it in. However, the VAR decision that really knocked the stuffing out of me was the injury time equaliser against West Ham. I felt so deflated for the home journey. A loss is always a worse journey home, but to be cheated out of a goal and a result made it difficult to bear (although I appreciate that these are first world problems). It hurt.

I couldn't go to the Bournemouth game but I was supposed to be travelling to the Luton game after visiting my dad in Wales but decided not to. It's not because we haven't won for a while but that it's becoming so much less enjoyable. You can't really celebrate a goal, the constant wait for VAR and not knowing what's happening, and the decisions are so ridiculous at times that it all feels a bit artificial now. Whether your team wins or loses feels like part of a script and not a competitive football game. It's totally changed. You're always second guessing if the goal you celebrated will be ruled out. I watched the Bournemouth game at home and celebrated quite wildly because it looked a clear goal. There's always a nagging anxiety though, so I closely watched the replay for offsides etc. and realised there was no way that one could be ruled out. No appeals from any players. All good! Then the guy in the office off the M4 steps in and that familiar sinking feeling comes over you. So, I decided to spend more time with my dad this weekend instead; we'll watch it without me having to dread a long journey after possibly being cheated again. It probably feels as bad for a local, but the long journey after a crap VAR decision feels a lot worse. I'll be going to the Palace game but VAR has made me seriously consider the amount of games I will travel to next season.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is there still a fans liaison c'tee/group or whatever it is called who meet with the Club officially every month or so or has that been scrapped? For me this would be the ideal format for us fans to communicate our disillusionment with VAR to the Club. I think trying to do this individually would be a waste of time. I was interested to see Jade's and others comments that local fans were giving up on STs. If they do this without making comment on the VAR situation that is a wasted opportunity.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think a large amount of fans travel more than an hour each way to get to a match.

Hazza

Reaction score
Were in Brackley, 90-120 mins away.

Had season tickets till 2 seasons ago. Eldest son went to Wolves Uni so could go to games but all.now do 3-4 games a season.

Looked on Tuesday and nearly bought 2 tickets for Luton tomorrow but £51 for me and youngest £30 diesel parking, food etc and I thought no, got offered a ticket for last weeks semi, city b Chelsea, not a classic but cheaper than if I’d gone to Arsenal at home. Never thought it would come to this.

Thanks VAR

Also, started going to non league - soooooo much better

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I really do hope they make the change to VAR, so it’s based on it’s original purpose of over ruling clear and obvious non offsides given etc. If agonising over hairline decisions using freeze frame and laser lines isn’t re-refereeing I don’t know what is?
In the World Cup finals in 2022 they used a lighter touch with VAR and it definitely helped the flow and enjoyment of the game.

Back
Top Bottom