Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary’s De-Presser

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excuses being laid out…..

Let’s see if he admits he got the selection, tactics and in game management wrong?

He does admit his part to be fair to him.

No issue with what he's said to be honest.

Tonight was a poor performance, worst of the season but whether people like it or not, there are mitigating factors.

Back him in the summer & give him no excuses. Simple.

Let's not fall into the trap we've done before. He's made mistakes but the end of this season is on the ownership.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is bloody appalling if he means what it suggests. Well, **** him too. He knew the score when he came. Dear god, another small man in a big job. That is really disappointing.
I probably shouldn't post, a long day and an awful evening, but he should not have said that if that's quoted correctly.
Hmmm let's ignore the common factor/probable cause....

God forbid that we don't all worship at Shi's altar huh.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Whine whine whine. All the time.

Does he not think that this incessant whining to the public translates to the players as excuses and negativity. Keep telling them they are fatigued and they’ll believe it. Tell them they’re great and they’ll believe it.

Our best period of the season was Christmas & New Year. The busiest part of the season. We barely rotated. We had players going off to afcon and Asia. Players weren’t tired then were they! Suddenly we’ve had a few bad results and the tiredness, small squad excuses come out.

How about some positivity for a change!
Yep. Being tired is the fashion now. Especially when you lose.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Others with bigger squads in a lot of cases

Tonight was a poor performance, worst of the season but whether people like it or not, there are mitigating factors.

Sorry mate, but the amount he got wrong in the selection, team set up and then his inability and not for the first time to make tactical changes that work during the action (not for the first time) had nothing to do with number of options

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did these others have the same size squad as us?

He is partially responsible for the over use injuries by not rotating and by his admission leaving players on who are in the red zone…..

He also didn’t tweak the strategy or workload of the press or over reliance on Hwang, Neto and cunha to sprint around constantly……

He isn’t faultless in the injury crisis….. yes the squad was too small but he didn’t adjust anything to compensate for that.

He has shown some massive tactical limitations!

Let alone the fact he hasn’t come close to improving the issues with the defence…..

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be bloody careful what you wish for.

I'll remind you of this if Fosun sell and we are back where we started.
You may well remind him, but we’ll all be wolves fans after Fosun depart (whenever that may be). We will bicker about someone else at that point.

I’m thankful for Fosun, but can understand people wanting them to invest more or leave. FWIW I think they’ve invested plenty, but got too much wrong in the last couple of seasons, leaving us where we are at now. That said, we’re in a far better position than when I started supporting wolves.

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is partially responsible for the over use injuries by not rotating and by his admission leaving players on who are in the red zone…..

He also didn’t tweak the strategy or workload of the press or over reliance on Hwang, Neto and cunha to sprint around constantly……

He isn’t faultless in the injury crisis….. yes the squad was too small but he didn’t adjust anything to compensate for that.

He has shown some massive tactical limitations!

Let alone the fact he hasn’t come close to improving the issues with the defence…..
I haven’t absolved GON of any blame, but you said others have lost more players without the level of drop off. Who are you referring to as I am sure they have bigger squads to begin with?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I haven’t absolved GON of any blame, but you said others have lost more players without the level of drop off. Who are you referring to as I am sure they have bigger squads to begin with?

Newcastle, man united, Brighton to name three

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because he's beginning to see where Lopetegui was coming from.
And if some of the comments on this thread are anything to go by, I am beginning to see certain posters preparing to turn against another manager in favour of Teflon Jeff.
I think most of us now see Jeff for what he is but Gary was very happy to take the job and has rightly enjoyed the plaudits for what he has done since Lopetegui bugged out. But now the results and performances are going south it seems it’s time to pick open the very wound he has up to now helped heal.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry mate, but the amount he got wrong in the selection, team set up and then his inability and not for the first time to make tactical changes that work during the action (not for the first time) had nothing to do with number of options

How many of the players were fit?

He's also owned up to his part, so what's your point? He's a coach approaching the end of his first full season as a manager (still never had a preseason mind) of course he'll get things wrong.

As much as he's to blame, the players need to take a look at themselves too.

The number of options he's had over this last 8 games (which you have brought up in relation to form) does play a part.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Let's not fall into the trap we've done before. He's made mistakes but the end of this season is on the ownership.

He also has his own part in the injury crisis with overloading them, not tweaking how we play in a busy period and by his own admission keeping players on who were in the red zone……

Jeff didn’t help him by not giving him the full foundations he needed, but he still made big squad management issues himself

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You may well remind him, but we’ll all be wolves fans after Fosun depart (whenever that may be). We will bicker about someone else at that point.

I’m thankful for Fosun, but can understand people wanting them to invest more or leave. FWIW I think they’ve invested plenty, but got too much wrong in the last couple of seasons, leaving us where we are at now. That said, we’re in a far better position than when I started supporting wolves.
There have been those on here who've moaned most of the way, and it wasn't me who called out fickle fans. Anyway, time to take a break, really disappointing night made worse by those comments by O Neill

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many of the players were fit?

He's also owned up to his part, so what's your point? He's a coach approaching the end of his first full season as a manager (still never had a preseason mind) of course he'll get things wrong.

As much as he's to blame, the players need to take a look at themselves too.

The number of options he's had over this last 8 games (which you have brought up in relation to form) does play a part.

His poor squad rotation and management in game of workload hasn’t helped him either…..

Hwang was running his hamstring at the start of the second half before he popped his after the Asia cup…..

He left Sarabia and hwang on for far too long when both were massively ineffective.

Chirewa should have come on sooner as he did more than Sarabia who was inept from kick off but survived longer than Doyle who was at least trying to make something happen

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Newcastle, man united, Brighton to name three
Really?

United have had more expensive players sat on the bench than we have in the starting line up and I can’t remember them having to play a full-back up top as they had no fit forwards?

Brighton and Newcastle did drop off with injuries but again had bigger squads than us so haven’t had to pick as many players out of position.

We all know injuries are a reality, but the number of forwards and centre halves we have is just tempting fate.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
O'Neil is bringing it up because it's the chief reason for our terrible form.

Yes, some were back tonight, but they're clearly not fit. We now have two centre-backs at the club, and, at a push, one senior striker, although earlier in the season they were convinced Hwang wasn't a striker.

Lopetegui was right. O'Neil is right now.

We're in massive trouble next season unless we beef up the squad.

However, I have little sympathy for O'Neil.

We beat West Brom on January 28. The credit he had in the bank at that stage was almost Nuno-esque. He had to stand up to Fosun then. He had to demand we got a player in before January, but he didn't.

He is right with his moaning, but he shouldn't use it when he wants. He didn't say a peep until March.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really?

United have had more expensive players sat on the bench than we have in the starting line up and I can’t remember them having to play a full-back up top as they had no fit forwards?

Brighton and Newcastle did drop off with injuries but again had bigger squads than us so haven’t had to pick as many players out of position.

We all know injuries are a reality, but the number of forwards and centre halves we have is just tempting fate.

I agree with you mate, but what I meant and didn’t explain….. is that they lost equal if not on some days more of their starting/best 11.

Both of those sides didn’t drop into the bottom 3 over the 8 game period they lost 4 starters…..

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We beat West Brom on January 28. The credit he had in the bank at that stage was almost Nuno-esque. He had to stand up to Fosun then. He had to demand we got a player in before January, but he didn't.

He is right with his moaning, but he shouldn't use it when he wants. He didn't say a peep until March.
He'd already greatly helped to contribute toward the inactivity of January before then by letting Sasa and Fabio go out on loan because he was shouting about how Bellegarde (a central midfielder) was a good forward option.

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
O'Neil is bringing it up because it's the chief reason for our terrible form.

Yes, some were back tonight, but they're clearly not fit. We now have two centre-backs at the club, and, at a push, one senior striker, although earlier in the season they were convinced Hwang wasn't a striker.

Lopetegui was right. O'Neil is right now.

We're in massive trouble next season unless we beef up the squad.

However, I have little sympathy for O'Neil.

How does that work though?

Jeff I need some players.
Well you can't have any Gary.
Oh but I DEMAND new players.

What's the next line?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He'd already helped botch January before then by letting Sasa and Fabio go out on loan because he was shouting about how Bellegarde (a central midfielder) was a good forward option.

Which made no sense as bellegarde was ****ing inept as a striker……

But he did the most important thing in a GON team for a forward…… being able to sprint quickly with the ball or chasing the lumped long ball into a patch of grass behind a striker…..

His treatment of a goal scoring striker in Sasa for me and it was at the time a big mark against GON as it showed GON is very one dimensional in his attacking style.

Adama traore would be his dream!!!!!!! I think if he could have cloned adama he would have more adama’s than a j.gomes type player…….

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I agree most (except the last sentence in my case) of that. My concern is the trend for the last three seasons, ever since we failed to strengthen after the Sevilla Europa League defeat, has been negative despite odd contrary blips.

Oh, and l've seen some say that Hugo and Bouba should have started tonight. GON has (probably rightly) been criticised for overworking some players. However neither of those two have been regular starters, both after serious injuries, and we are unsighted on what the medical/analytical data said on them for tonight. Just a thought....

Last edited:

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
This season, we've gone from GON being a PE teacher to being the one of the best coaches in the country. The truth is probably somewhere in between. He's okay, but you ain't going to be pulling up any trees.

If he's still here in a couple of years time it will be a miracle in my book. Either things will go so well he'll get poached or things will go so badly he do a Bruno or if his recent form is anything to go by he'll talk himself out of the job.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Getting to the stage of the season where manager saying he needed more players . I am sure I have heard other managers have said this at our club before. Oh wait the majority of them were **** or out of their depth apparently due to people in the know . Strange one of them is walking into a team above us and won something in Europe recently so guaranteed to be **** .

Hmmmm out of their depth . I wonder if that statement will be on the end of season we must learn Teams meeting between Guo and Shi .

Oh well bring on the inflated season ticket costs and the summer of we can't sign anyone due to FFP constraints from 1963 or Players are at the Euros so we have to wait till the week before the window closes before we can sign Che Adams on a free .

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How does that work though?

Jeff I need some players.
Oh but I DEMAND new players.

What's the next line?
You make it explicitly clear to the fans that PSR is not the issue.

O'Neil was clever in how he spoke at the time. He would say 'financial reasons' and then things like 'I'm not sure whether it's PSR related or a club strategy'.

He needed to put it out there that it is a Fosun decision. Then, fans would be on his side.

He then had to make it clear that he let Silva and Sasa leave on the basis they were getting replaced, which I believe is the case. So, he should make it clear he was lied to.

Finally, you resign.

However, I'd hope you wouldn't get to that stage.

People need to know PSR is a lie, that would get people onside. He protected the club when he shouldn't have.

Does O'Neil need the money that much that he will allow himself to be walked all over? I'm not sure, which is why I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk away with what's coming up.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There have been those on here who've moaned most of the way, and it wasn't me who called out fickle fans. Anyway, time to take a break, really disappointing night made worse by those comments by O Neill
Not a criticism of your comments on my part. Feeling similar I think. I just know we are all wolves fans and all disappointed at what could’ve been, again. But, go back 10 years and we’d have loved to have been remotely close to wondering about what could’ve been.
Enjoy a few days before the next instalment

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
You make it explicitly clear to the fans that PSR is not the issue.

O'Neil was clever in how he spoke at the time. He would say 'financial reasons' and then things like 'I'm not sure whether it's PSR related or a club strategy'.

He needed to put it out there that it is a Fosun decision. Then, fans would be on his side.

He then had to make it clear that he let Silva and Sasa leave on the basis they were getting replaced, which I believe is the case. So, he should make it clear he was lied to.

Finally, you resign.

However, I'd hope you wouldn't get to that stage.

People need to know PSR is a lie, that would get people onside. He protected the club when he shouldn't have.

Does O'Neil need the money that much that he will allow himself to be walked all over? I'm not sure, which is why I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk away with what's coming up.
Totally unrealistic IMO.
Once the manager tries to use the fans against the owners there's only ever one winner.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally unrealistic IMO.
Once the manager tries to use the fans against the owners there's only ever one winner.

It's brave rather than unrealistic, and don't forget it's actually happened!

Our situation is unique. We have the worst squad depth of the 92 clubs, O'Neil's words.

What does O'Neil do? If he sticks around and he can't perform miracles, we will drop and his reputation will suffer.

Whilst it can be perceived as 'using the fans against the owners' it could also be simply telling the truth!

If not explicitly, do it through your journalists. Wolves have the local ones in their pockets clearly. So get others to look into it.

Back
Top Bottom