Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2024 transfer window thread.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's be clear we are doing something right if we have players and a manager of interest to others.

All of the following could go at the right price - Sa, RAN, Kilman, Semedo, Gomes, Lemina, Cunha, Neto plus GO'N.

They won't all go (this Summer)!

It is going to be another Summer of refresh this page as everyone has kittens about x being sold and complaints about incoming y not being good enough - too old, too inexperienced, too expensive, not expensive enough etc.

Keep calm, enjoy the ride and onto next season. Flip flops at the ready for our last 5 games.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oli mcburnie as a rotation player. Why not?
6 goals (and 3 assists) in the PL in 1282 minutes according to Transfermkt. That's a decent return. Aged 27 as well.

Could do worse, though better would be nice :)

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mentioned it the other day.....but I would love the Idea of Gabriel Sara from Norwich....

People might not think it's a position we need to spend big on, but we need to continue to progress in that area...Lemina won't get any better in terms of fitness and durability....he definitely doesn't need to play as much next season and consequently can attack more games at full pelt....

Still unsure about Bouba long term....love the lad and can't fault him but not sure he has the quality on the ball required at this level......if we could get 10m for him , plus sell the likes of Cundle and Hodge we maybe 75% of the way for the fee for Sara....

Brazilian is used to the physicality of the league system and gives us another dynamic option in midfield...Sara would offer more goals than Bouba..

Sara and En Nesryri would be top of my list....
If we can't keep hold of Gomes, I think we will, I'd go for him as replacement. Not sure spending £30m on a midfielder otherwise I'd a good allocation of funds.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we can't keep hold of Gomes, I think we will, I'd go for him as replacement. Not sure spending £30m on a midfielder otherwise I'd a good allocation of funds.
I don't think he will go for 30m.....nearer 20m in the he current climate.....off course we have other areas that seem a priority but no one can deny that something we are still missing is goals from midfield....Gomes and Lemina chip in occasionally but its an area we definitely need to improve on....Bouba doesn't give us that at all.....while the midfield is ok , for me is still could be improved..

Sara chips in with goals....

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think he will go for 30m.....nearer 20m in the he current climate.....off course we have other areas that seem a priority but no one can deny that something we are still missing is goals from midfield....Gomes and Lemina chip in occasionally but its an area we definitely need to improve on....Bouba doesn't give us that at all.....while the midfield is ok , for me is still could be improved..

Sara chips in with goals....
I'm sure I read they turned down £30m in Jan, I could be wrong or getting confused though. If we could get him for £20m we should be all over it, I totally agree we need more midfield goals!

One thing id add though is I think Traore needs game time to show what he is or isn't capable of. He smashed a lovely long range shot just wide a game or two ago, he's just not had many minutes to have a clear picture.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure I read they turned down £30m in Jan, I could be wrong or getting confused though. If we could get him for £20m we should be all over it, I totally agree we need more midfield goals!
As you say I get the point about big money as an addition to the midfield.....but I wasn't adding as such.....As I said surely we could get 10m for Bouba , sure he was linked with a German club for 10m in the summer, 2-3m for Cundle and Hodge.....even if Sara was 30m is essentially 15m max......

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see a club like Liverpool taking on a manager who has had one good season. As I have said previously, at the end of the day, GON has put the team in exactly the position it should be in. I don't think that's an exceptional enough achievement to get him a top job.

Saying that, what he has done is implement a good, entertaining style of football, which could be attractive to a club with a squad of more talented players.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Here's how I look at the summer window currently:

Sign two center forwards to replace Sasa and Fabio (loan or sell)
Sign up-and-coming CM to groom behind Joao Gomes (keep, but will go next summer)
Sign up-and-coming RWB to groom behind Semedo (if Hoever is deemed surplus to requirements, then sell; loan Lembikisa)
Sign starting RM/RW to replace Neto (if he goes)
Sign starting LWB to replace RAN (if he goes - I would want to keep him for another year)
Keep an eye out for a fast CB to groom behind Dawson (could be Mosquera) - not super high priority, but allows us flexibility to use 4-2-3-1 more.
Obviously sign someone to replace an outgoing squad member (e.g., Sa, Sarabia)

Bring Mosquera back into the squad.

Sell Fabio, Podence, Guedes, Bolla, Hodge, and Cundle (maybe Hoever).
Loan Chiwome, Lembikisa, and Fraser. I'm on the fence with Chirewa and Chiquinho (depends on GON)--can't keep both in the squad.

CF - New (starter), New (backup), Hwang, Sasa (inj)
Wingers/AM - New (starter), Cunha (starter), Sarabia, Bellegarde, Chiquinho/Chirewa (or loan, add new)
CM - Lemina (starter), Gomes (starter), Doyle, Traore, New
LB/LWB - RAN (starter), H. Bueno
RB/RWB - Semedo (starter), Doc, New
CB - Toti (starter), Kilman (starter), S. Bueno (starter), Dawson, Mosquera
GK - Sa (starter), Bentley, King

Any backups should be good enough to push for starting roles. And good enough to rotate without too much drop off, which is important to GON's style.

For CF, I'm good with Che Adams as a backup on a free - physical, can press, and homegrown. Need a quality starting striker - En Nesyri sounds good to me. If/when Neto goes, then we need a fast starting winger to replace him. Sarabia is quality, but he ain't fast - solid bench option for me. For LWB and RWB, I waffled on whether we would need one, as Toti and Mosquera can fill in those spots. BUT, I would want a replacement plan for Semedo. I'm happy with Doyle's progression - needs to be more physical and Rice outpaced him several times - but good playmaker/ball control. Traore hasn't looked great for a while now, but he impressed against Arsenal I thought - needs to keep developing his technical ability. I'm hoping that Mosquera can be the real deal - if he is then we're looking really strong at CB. I don't mind Sa, especially for the cost. If we can get Kelleher for a reasonable amount (to be seen), then I would do that deal.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know it’s all just rumours and mostly *******s, but I do wish we had some good rumours/*******s every now and then. Over the last few days online I’ve read O’Neil is going, Hobbs is going, RAN is going, Neto is going, Gomes is going… I’m sure there are others I’ve missed. Even when Okoduwa was named on the bench at Newcastle we didn’t get chance to be excited at the prospect of a 15 year old being good enough to push the first team before he was linked to Man Utd. Drives me mad!

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am going to find it incredibly hard to go through another season where we try to play any system that accommodates not having natural goalscorers in the team.
Since our latest arrival in the Premier League ( over 200 matches) I hardly recall a performance that could have ended with us scoring 4 or 5 goals .

Last edited:

Sephiroth

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am going to find it incredibly hard to go through another season where we try to play any system that accommodates not having natural goalscorers in the team.
Since our latest arrival in the Premier League ( over 200 matches) I have never once seen a performance that could have ended with us scoring 4 or 5 goals .

Cant believe you missed Wolves 4 Leicester 3 and Wolves 4 Watford 0!

And tbf there's been a couple of games this season we could very easily have had 4 or more. Everton at home and id go as far as to say at Old Trafford (including the crap VAR)

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Since our latest arrival in the Premier League ( over 200 matches) I have never once seen a performance that could have ended with us scoring 4 or 5 goals .
Chelsea away
Brentford away

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And tbf there's been a couple of games this season we could very easily have had 4 or more. Everton at home and id go as far as to say at Old Trafford (including the crap VAR)
Beat me to it lol
I get the general we dont score enough theme,but there have been many games over the last 5/6 years where we should have had 4/5 goals ,we created loads of good chances but just have a habit of missing most of them
This season we will probably score more goals than in any other since we came up ironically enough

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Saw the Leicester , missed the Watford . So I stand corrected I missed that one . But my point still stands we are a team that rarely looks like scoring over 3 goals even even in the 30 odd matches we have played against relegated teams .

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Beat me to it lol
I get the general we dont score enough theme,but there have been many games over the last 5/6 years where we should have had 4/5 goals ,we created loads of good chances but just have a habit of missing most of them
This season we will probably score more goals than in any other since we came up ironically enough
Agreed but around thirty of those would have been against week relegated teams. Where we dont take the initiative.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One was 2019 . The 2022 one I missed
I know but you did state "since we got back up" and even your edited post is just not fact
I do agree we dont score enough but to blanket state something leaves you open to criticism

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Traore hasn't looked great for a while now, but he impressed against Arsenal I thought - needs to keep developing his technical ability.
I do agree with the rest of this post, but do need to pull you up on this. When you say hasnt looked great for a while, what are you basing that on? He's only played 525 minutes all season across 19 appearances, of which only 3 were starts. So in the other 16 games he's averaged 15 minutes pitch time. It doesn't matter how good a player is, if he's not getting game time he is unlikely to play his best football. Also if you look at his ratings in those 3 prem starts they are 6.86(Bournemouth), 6.35 and 6.71(both Arsenal). So while not starring, he certainly didnt look not great(i appreciate you gave him credit for the last performance). If he got a run in the team, which seems unlikely with the competition ahead of him, i think he'd start showing far more.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know but you did state "since we got back up" and even your edited post is just not fact
I do agree we dont score enough but to blanket state something leaves you open to criticism
I said I hadnt seen a 4 or 5 nil win in the six years . How can that not be fact. The edit was because I forgot the Leicester match that I had seen.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In 2015 Wenger said strikers were dying out due to changes in the way that youngsters are trained: in Europe especially. He's right.

Worth noting though, that we have the 12th highest goalscorer in the league in Cunha, and Hwang's not far behind. The only players to have scored more are:

Haaland, Palmer, Isak, Saka and Foden - never a chance we'd have got them
Watkins - Never a chance we'd get him once he left Exeter
Solanke - Evidence that showing patience in strikers can pay off. Never an enticing option for us before this season, now he'd be too £££.
Bowen - the one that got away? We were interested 2020 but got Silva and Jose instead.
Wood - doesn't suit our style

In other words, the way to get a top goalscorer is to spend huge, have a world class academy, or show patience in struggling players with obvious talent. Or sign Chris Wood.

It's also better that we share goals around: we don't want to be reliant on one or two people!

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In 2015 Wenger said strikers were dying out due to changes in the way that youngsters are trained: in Europe especially. He's right.

Worth noting though, that we have the 12th highest goalscorer in the league in Cunha, and Hwang's not far behind. The only players to have scored more are:

Haaland, Palmer, Isak, Saka and Foden - never a chance we'd have got them
Watkins - Never a chance we'd get him once he left Exeter
Solanke - Evidence that showing patience in strikers can pay off. Never an enticing option for us before this season, now he'd be too £££.
Bowen - the one that got away? We were interested 2020 but got Silva and Jose instead.
Wood - doesn't suit our style

In other words, the way to get a top goalscorer is to spend huge, have a world class academy, or show patience in struggling players with obvious talent. Or sign Chris Wood.

It's also better that we share goals around: we don't want to be reliant on one or two people!
Our two top scorers in the prem cost over £30m each, yes Hwang isn't far behind Cunha this season, but still cost £15m and really doesn't offer much more than goals! That's when he's on form as well. It's such a hard position to fill that it amazes me when people talk about accepting £70m for Cunha. I get that might be the market rate, but if we don't want to sell, and he's not making waves, which he's not, we have to be telling teams we'll only consider bids over £100m. At least that way we have funds to spend another 30/40 on a striker and can improve other areas.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
I do agree with the rest of this post, but do need to pull you up on this. When you say hasnt looked great for a while, what are you basing that on? He's only played 525 minutes all season across 19 appearances, of which only 3 were starts. So in the other 16 games he's averaged 15 minutes pitch time. It doesn't matter how good a player is, if he's not getting game time he is unlikely to play his best football. Also if you look at his ratings in those 3 prem starts they are 6.86(Bournemouth), 6.35 and 6.71(both Arsenal). So while not starring, he certainly didnt look not great(i appreciate you gave him credit for the last performance). If he got a run in the team, which seems unlikely with the competition ahead of him, i think he'd start showing far more.
No need to pull me up on it - I agree with everything you say here. I just left it out of my post, but had the same thoughts about not getting a run of games. Notice that I did not say to get rid of him. :) I'm interested to see how Gary can improve some of the more raw aspects of Traore's game...

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our two top scorers in the prem cost over £30m each, yes Hwang isn't far behind Cunha this season, but still cost £15m and really doesn't offer much more than goals! That's when he's on form as well. It's such a hard position to fill that it amazes me when people talk about accepting £70m for Cunha. I get that might be the market rate, but if we don't want to sell, and he's not making waves, which he's not, we have to be telling teams we'll only consider bids over £100m. At least that way we have funds to spend another 30/40 on a striker and can improve other areas.
£100m would be to pick up the phone. Talismanic player for us now. 5 goals in his last 2 starts and the scary part is that I don’t feel he’s even close to fulfilling his potential yet.

Not to mention that his book value is still £30m+, so talk of a £70m fee or anything close to it is frankly silly when the profit from that type of fee for our best player is comparable to anyone else we could sell this summer (Neto, RAN, Gomes, Kilman).

I genuinely think by the end of next season, when he’s 25, Cunha will be viewed as world class in the mainstream. Especially with better players around him (hopefully).

No reason Cunha couldn’t have 20+ goals and 10+ assists next season, if the owners back GON/Hobbs in the summer to build around him.

dnf14

Reaction score
Don't shoot the messenger......but I've heard Lloyd Kelly is very much on the agenda this summer.....
Spuds and Newcastle interested and they'll offer more lucrative terms than us and he's a bit of a sick note; he's averaged 4 months laid up a season since he joined Bournemouth.
Wouldn't surprise me if he winds up on the treatment table of one of the former two for the next couple of years.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spuds and Newcastle interested and they'll offer more lucrative terms than us and he's a bit of a sick note; he's averaged 4 months laid up a season since he joined Bournemouth.
Wouldn't surprise me if he winds up on the treatment table of one of the former two for the next couple of years.
Only passing on what I've heard......

Back
Top Bottom