Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is interviewing for other PL jobs whilst in role at Wolves ok? I’m sure many on here didn’t like Lopetegui - is this any better?

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If this is true he'd definitely be off.
Yes and no, really. He’s a very switched on guy who will know that the success rate of taking over from a long term, successful manager is extremely low. On the other hand how often do these chances come around?

Basically does he back himself to actually earn such a job in a few years through his achievements as a manager or does he go for it and back himself to be a success there knowing he could be further back than when he started if it all goes pear shaped?

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Yes and no, really. He’s a very switched on guy who will know that the success rate of taking over from a long term, successful manager is extremely low. On the other hand how often do these chances come around?

Basically does he back himself to actually earn such a job in a few years through his achievements as a manager or does he go for it and back himself to be a success there knowing he could be further back than when he started if it all goes pear shaped?
At the end of the day, we can discuss until the cows come home. All that matters are official announcements.

What I can say however is that he definitely seems like a man who knows exactly what he wants to do in his managerial career. I'd like to think that what he wants right now is to take us to the next level- but he obviously needs the right backing to do so.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lose GON and I'm really not sure who we'd be able to attract considering our poor spending power.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the end of the day, we can discuss until the cows come home. All that matters are official announcements.

What I can say however is that he definitely seems like a man who knows exactly what he wants to do in his managerial career. I'd like to think that what he wants right now is to take us to the next level- but he obviously needs the right backing to do so.
Yep, agree. I know we are all biased as hell with this but I genuinely think any move away is a bad move for him… unless he’s not backed and made a victim of his own success by Fosun.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Yep, agree. I know we are all biased as hell with this but I genuinely think any move away is a bad move for him… unless he’s not backed and made a victim of his own success by Fosun.
I think there's a risk of him being burned whether he stays or leaves. Hoping that, to him, it's a case of better the devil you know...

I really hope he is backed financially this summer. Imagine what he could do with a more complete squad shaped in his image.

Reactions: Ned

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd get that in writing if I were him, Shi has form for telling managers one thing and then shifting the goalposts rather quickly.
I’ll kind of give him a pass for the summer just gone if PSR/FFP was really as close as made out (conflicting opinions on this, of course) but absolutely agree with this being done to Lage and Nuno - especially Lage in his January window and Nuno pretty much every single window after the first PL summer.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lose GON and I'm really not sure who we'd be able to attract considering our poor spending power.
I dont agree with this tbh. just being a premier league club is enough for the players we are going for. The chance to shine and be sold on to the elite. GON being here or not doesnt change that. These european or south american young players will never have heard of him.
Joao Gomes came to us over Lyon due to us being in prem it wasnt anything to do with it being wolves lol

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I dont agree with this tbh. just being a premier league club is enough for the players we are going for. The chance to shine and be sold on to the elite. GON being here or not doesnt change that. These european or south american young players will never have heard of him.
Joao Gomes came to us over Lyon due to us being in prem it wasnt anything to do with it being wolves lol
I'm talking about managers/head coaches, not players.

As another poster has said, Edwards/Cooper would be likely replacements.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
He came cos we are massive and Sandwell Town are ****ing ****. :p

But seriously, I see your point- for a club of our current stature, the attraction probably mostly lies in the league itself and the opportunities it presents.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is interviewing for other PL jobs whilst in role at Wolves ok? I’m sure many on here didn’t like Lopetegui - is this any better?
Is it true?

If so, that's one thing ... if not, that's another.

I've been interviewed for other jobs whilst still employed and they've not always come off. It doesn't mean I don't still work hard - and with enthusiasm - for my employer, though.

(I am, in fact, still with the same organisation)

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair unless it comes from Percy or Romano it’s probably nonsense.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see how the Wolves app copes with 90 billion Liverpool fans jumping on it for the 1pm press conference. The app's only hope is that they also show the press conference live on Sky Sports News.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
It's not unbelievable, they'll be interviewing a number of candidates, some already in work.

Will likely be denied in public but it's more believable when you consider that GON was their U23s Assistant a few years ago. Likely highly regarded there.
I didn't know that, makes this whole thing a bit more interesting. After all- interviewing him doesn't mean he'd get the job. I seem to recall the Tottenham manager was their last pick?

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't know that, makes this whole thing a bit more interesting. After all- interviewing him doesn't mean he'd get the job. I seem to recall the Tottenham manager was their last pick?
Indeed, it's just an interview and I'd be surprised if GON got the job there but it would demonstrate that his work here is being appreciated and recognised elsewhere.

Hence why Shi needs to pull his finger out and ensure that GON is promised some proper backing in the Summer.

Back
Top Bottom