Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Summer 2024 transfer window thread.

Wolferoo

Groupie
Reaction score
Our priority has to be to improve our goals for column. We have done better this season but we are still in the bottom quartile for shots and goals. Look at it another way, the league table shows that our defence compares well with all of the teams above us with the exception of the top three but it is glaringly obvious we still don't score enough goals. Villa have scored about a goal a game more with a similar defensive record. If we had a goal a game more and looked at the games we have lost by a single goal/drawn we would have 21 more points this season and be alongside Villa but even incremental improvement to the goals for would move us up the table. I'm all for improving the defence but it is in the attacking areas we really need to improve both our shots creation and conversion.
Another thought, in all the years some of the established teams have struggled, the reason they have survived even in poor seasons is usually that they have goal scorers and can pick off enough wins when playing badly.
Gary has given us some exciting attacking football this season but we need to go further and see what we can do with a greater attacking threat and depth in that area. Now I don't know who we should or will sign but I really hope this is the priority area and we back Gary in the summer.

Bigcheese

Reaction score
Ait-Nouri is the most important player for us to KEEP. Never mind the noise...we have many other players we can use to raise money and its about time Fosun showed some investment ambition as far as is allowed. Joao Gomes, Cunha and him are the key to any progress next season.
It's ok saying never mind the noise, but if a bid off a big club comes in do you really think he's not going to want to go?
If we don't sell then we have a disgruntled player who will only upset a happy dressing room.
A bid over 50m and I'd sell, he's replaceable.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here is an idea. Why don't we build a super stadium and become a big club. Then we get to keep our best players. All about the optics. At the moment we are a decaying club evidenced by the state of the John Ireland stand.

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't see Arsenal splashing another significant sum on CM when they havnt got a forward who cant hit a barn door

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here is an idea. Why don't we build a super stadium and become a big club. Then we get to keep our best players. All about the optics. At the moment we are a decaying club evidenced by the state of the John Ireland stand.
You're living in the realms of fantasy, Sir.

I think our shop window says: "come in and take a browse; everything available at the right price".

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our priority has to be to improve our goals for column. We have done better this season but we are still in the bottom quartile for shots and goals. Look at it another way, the league table shows that our defence compares well with all of the teams above us with the exception of the top three but it is glaringly obvious we still don't score enough goals. Villa have scored about a goal a game more with a similar defensive record. If we had a goal a game more and looked at the games we have lost by a single goal/drawn we would have 21 more points this season and be alongside Villa but even incremental improvement to the goals for would move us up the table. I'm all for improving the defence but it is in the attacking areas we really need to improve both our shots creation and conversion.
Another thought, in all the years some of the established teams have struggled, the reason they have survived even in poor seasons is usually that they have goal scorers and can pick off enough wins when playing badly.
Gary has given us some exciting attacking football this season but we need to go further and see what we can do with a greater attacking threat and depth in that area. Now I don't know who we should or will sign but I really hope this is the priority area and we back Gary in the summer.
Although i agree with most of what you say,its a fact that we havent scored many goals since we got back up
First season back when we probably played our most attractive football we only scored 47
The season after with prime Raul and Traore we only scored 51
We are on course to beat both those totals having comfortably beaten the last 3 seasons tally currently on 46

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're living in the realms of fantasy, Sir.

I think our shop window says: "come in and take a browse; everything available at the right price".
Other than the top 2 or 3 that applies to everybody. It's not that we are open to offers for everybody which is the problem it's the long history of selling before buying then when a deal falls through at the last minute they claim it's unfortunate.

Reactions: Ian

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d personally be asking for £80m but don’t think the club will.
I know spurs got laughed at with 30m enquiry in January. I think realistically we will wait to see if anyone else wants him… bidding war.

£65-75m would secure his services with add ons. Miles better than Caicedo who cost much much more

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
View attachment 42130

Gaz to Liverpool?

To interview someone under contract is tapping up without club permissions?
So that's Neto, Gomes, RAN, Sa and the manager all going.

No way would GON turn down Liverpool. It would be a Ron Atkinson situation, when he went to Man United and took West Brom's stars with him.

Cunha would be first to go. We'd get £30m paid over six seasons and they'd throw in a couple of kids who are useless but valued at £15m each.

Got to love social media.

Wolferoo

Groupie
Reaction score
Although i agree with most of what you say,its a fact that we havent scored many goals since we got back up
First season back when we probably played our most attractive football we only scored 47
The season after with prime Raul and Traore we only scored 51
We are on course to beat both those totals having comfortably beaten the last 3 seasons tally currently on 46
I think we are on the same page BCW and not disputing how well we did in those early seasons.
But it only took one serious injury to prime Raul to derail us and as we have seen again this season, as soon as we lose those key players we do not have the goals to carry a threat. I want to build on what we have done previously and this season and it feels to me that if we can score more goals then we should be looking up the table and not down and winning games on the front foot and not back.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it’s his dodgy agents wanting another pay day. If he wants out don’t do it Nunes style by refusing to play ffs
The only way to counter this would be for us to start rumours about other players we are negatiating for. Not just us but if all started it it would stop the big boys trying tricks to unsettle our players and get them on the cheap.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only way to counter this would be for us to start rumours about other players we are negatiating for. Not just us but if all started it it would stop the big boys trying tricks to unsettle our players and get them on the cheap.
I think you’re right. But it’s most likely come from his agents in South America? Hobbs said we aren’t under pressure to sell. So they either meet our valuation or he stays here under contract. Joao doesn’t come across the Nunes type but I won’t hold my breath on that one. Of course everyone has their price but they won’t take us on the cheap.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Unfortunately floating around and having the odd cup run is our level. That’s fine but let’s have some fun while doing it

We need quality players to improve. Hopefully we can conquer South American markets once more
its what makes it so frustrating we penny pinched this year. not every year an fa cup semi final and a european place up for grabs, you have to go for it otherwise whats the point. Honestly dont see us being this close for another few years as the other top clubs will reload and be better next year.
South american scout done brilliantly so far with Mosquera, Gomes. Certainly a footballing hotbed with generally cheaper targets so why not.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes it's a happy day on the speculation front, isn't it.
Think I'll do my mental health a favour and stay off this thread until the month of August.
Its silly season time isnt it?
We will be linked with players ,other clubs will be linked with ours, but they are all rumours and should be taken with a huge dollop of salt
In another month perhaps we start seeing more serious gossip, but until we get the usual Percy posts ill not lose much sleep tbh

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will inevitably sell one of Gomes, Cuhna, RAN or Neto in order to generate funds and some profit. I'm sadly resigned to that fact and have no issue with it as long as we bring in players that GON wants and it fills the void of an existing paper thin squad.

I would like to think that for every 1 out of the door this summer, there will be 2 incomings. So, theoretically, 3 out 6 in. GON said in one presser recently "We have a squad of only 19 senior players" when most have between 22-28.

Wishful thinking I know but we simply cannot be in a situation like we are right now.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will inevitably sell one of Gomes, Cuhna, RAN or Neto in order to generate funds and some profit. I'm sadly resigned to that fact and have no issue with it as long as we bring in players that GON wants and it fills the void of an existing paper thin squad.

I would like to think that for every 1 out of the door this summer, there will be 2 incomings. So, theoretically, 3 out 6 in. GON said in one presser recently "We have a squad of only 19 senior players" when most have between 22-28.

Wishful thinking I know but we simply cannot be in a situation like we are right now.
Id agree with that, perhaps 28 is too many but you need 23 minimum especially with the 5 sub rule now

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The biggest transfer news would be about GON.
Read the following article.
If true we should know about it.
If as I suspect it is not the author and possibly Liverpool should have action taken against them.

It would be a surprise if he did end up Liverpool or other top six club this year, but if he has another good season then his stock will be rising and you have to accept that he may well be off at some point. If he go one of the top jobs then I expect him to be England manager at some point.

All this sounds a bit premature, but he has certainly performed better than any of us expected.

When he does go I assume Rob Edwards will be a shoe in - assuming he is not gone on to bigger and better things. He has certainly increased his reputation at Luton.

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
The biggest transfer news would be about GON.
Read the following article.
If true we should know about it.
If as I suspect it is not the author and possibly Liverpool should have action taken against them.
Can see why they interviewed him as he has worked there before. They will interview a lot of candidates I would assume.

With GON although I think he has surprised us all and done a great job. He has yet to have a full pre-season and build a team in his image. For me I would expect him to have to do that and create a track record of it before he got a big move. Currently he has taken over two sides who were expected to drop and surpassed that. I would want to see what he does with his own players before I took a punt if I were in Liverpool or any big clubs shoes.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's be clear we are doing something right if we have players and a manager of interest to others.

All of the following could go at the right price - Sa, RAN, Kilman, Semedo, Gomes, Lemina, Cunha, Neto plus GO'N.

They won't all go (this Summer)!

It is going to be another Summer of refresh this page as everyone has kittens about x being sold and complaints about incoming y not being good enough - too old, too inexperienced, too expensive, not expensive enough etc.

Keep calm, enjoy the ride and onto next season. Flip flops at the ready for our last 5 games.

Back
Top Bottom