Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves Birthdays

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bloody hell Mate, it was bad enough reading that a member of The Specials is one year off 70 but then to see Lisa Stansfield is 58 ( what a singing voice she had ! ) has made my ageing bones creak even more this morning :) :) :)

When I was an Industrial Civil Servant I worked with a right character who in his spare time was a Disc Jockey. In fact his operation was called Don's Disco which sounds something right out of Phoenix Nights ! Don refused to play Whigfield's " Saturday Night " When I asked him why, he answered " I refuse to have that utter tripe on my decks just because it reminds people of their week on the Costa Del Sol. " Amazingly he remained very popular and was never short of bookings despite his Whigfield stance :D:D:D
Whigfield just reminds me of a lads holiday in Playa De Las Americas in 1993, before it was released in the UK. I still remember the dance to my shame!

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Birthdays over the weekend for

Saturday

Charlie Mason (1863-1941 - 75 appearances 1877-95. One of the founder members of the club and the first Wolves player to represent England)
Sidney Blunt (1902-65- was with the club in the 1920-21 season but didn't play)
Bill Pendergast (1915-2001. On the books in 1936 but didn't make an appearance for the first team)

Sunday

Alex McIntosh (1916-65 - 44 appearances 1937-47)

and happy birthday today to

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (32)
Steve Daley (71)

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Birthdays over the weekend for

Saturday

Charlie Mason (1863-1941 - 75 appearances 1877-95. One of the founder members of the club and the first Wolves player to represent England)
Sidney Blunt (1902-65- was with the club in the 1920-21 season but didn't play)
Bill Pendergast (1915-2001. On the books in 1936 but didn't make an appearance for the first team)

Sunday

Alex McIntosh (1916-65 - 44 appearances 1937-47)

and happy birthday today to

Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (32)
Steve Daley (71)

Steve Daley was a very good player, and I was disappointed to see him leave. Things didn’t work out for him at Manchester City, and at the time I hoped he might return to Molineux. Though by then Wolves financial situation made it impossible.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Paul Jones was a poor keeper in my view. A glorified Roger Hansbury :oops::oops::oops: I was glad when he left and not impressed when Dave Jones brought him back. My faith in Dave Jones was always lacking. I wanted him fired after the epic choke season ! He showed himself to speak with a ' forked tongue ' after he spent seemingly every opportunity telling people the players had to earn the shirt and then dropped Michael Oakes who in my view had saved our woefully underfunded team from some stuffings and inserted his boy Paul Jones. Jones the keeper was no better second time around for me. Apart from the saves in the penalty shoot out v Wednesday I cannot remember anything else he did that was of note !

Mickey Stowell in our goal - Well that is a whole different ballgame !!! If I had to pick my Mount Rushmore of the 4 favourite keepers in my time as a Wolves fan it would be Mike Stowell, Paul Bradshaw, Mark Kendall and Gary Pierce. Matt Murray would easily have made it but for injuries. Rui Patricio only just misses out. Gary Pierce gets in because of that March afternoon at Wembley some 50 years ago ;):D:)

John Burridge, Tim Flowers ( you could see he was going to be good ! ) John Ruddy and Carl Ikeme all get a mention in my dispatches :):):)

Hollywood Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Paul Jones was a poor keeper in my view. A glorified Roger Hansbury :oops::oops::oops: I was glad when he left and not impressed when Dave Jones brought him back. My faith in Dave Jones was always lacking. I wanted him fired after the epic choke season ! He showed himself to speak with a ' forked tongue ' after he spent seemingly every opportunity telling people the players had to earn the shirt and then dropped Michael Oakes who in my view had saved our woefully underfunded team from some stuffings and inserted his boy Paul Jones. Jones the keeper was no better second time around for me. Apart from the saves in the penalty shoot out v Wednesday I cannot remember anything else he did that was of note !

Mickey Stowell in our goal - Well that is a whole different ballgame !!! If I had to pick my Mount Rushmore of the 4 favourite keepers in my time as a Wolves fan it would be Mike Stowell, Paul Bradshaw, Mark Kendall and Gary Pierce. Matt Murray would easily have made it but for injuries. Rui Patricio only just misses out. Gary Pierce gets in because of that March afternoon at Wembley some 50 years ago ;):D:)

John Burridge, Tim Flowers ( you could see he was going to be good ! ) John Ruddy and Carl Ikeme all get a mention in my dispatches :):):)
I was fortunate to see ‘The Cat’ - Bert Williams. Surely our greatest ‘keeper.

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I don't remember much of Paul Jones' first spell, but he got a lot of stick from the south bank in his second spell. I remember once, he did the W anker sign at us.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't remember much of Paul Jones' first spell, but he got a lot of stick from the south bank in his second spell. I remember once, he did the W anker sign at us.

Surprised the incompetent buffoon could co-ordinate his fingers into that well known gesture as getting his hands to do anything seemed be a real problem for him :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No Wolves related birthdays on Saturday but a few notable people born

Adolf Hitler
Luther Vandross
George Takei
Nicholas Lyndhurst

birthdays on Sunday for

Harry Haynes (1873-1902 - 24 appearances 1893-95)

Happy birthday today to

Scott McGarvey (61)

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I worked with a Portsmouth fan who told me the Fratton Park crowd were less than enamoured with Scott McGarvey after he joined them. So much so they referred to him as Scott McGarbage !!!!

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy birthday today to

Sylvain Deslandes (27)

and a posthumous birthday for

Ernie Whatmore (1900-91 - 2 appearances 1922-23)

and not Wolves related but the great Johann Cruyff would have been 77 today. Not a bad little player was he?
Also, the legend that is Monty Panesar is 42 toady

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other weekend birthdays

Scott Brown (39)
Rob Hindmarch (1961-2002 - 40 appearances and one memorable goal against the **** 1990-91)
Colin Larkin (42)
Walter Zenga (64)
Paul Bradshaw (1956-2024 - 200 appearances 1977-84)
Laurie Kelly (1925-72 - 60 appearances 1947-50)

and today's birthdays

Bill Slater (1927-2018 - 310 appearances 1952-63. Wolves legend)

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy birthday today to

Nathan Collins (23)
Nenad Milijas (41)
Alun Evans (75)
Robbie Dennison (61)
Robert Taylor (53)

And a posthumous birthday for
Frank Taylor (1916-70 - 48 appearances 1936-44)
Johnny Hancocks (1916-94 - 343 appearances 1946-57. Wolves legend)

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Other weekend birthdays

Scott Brown (39)
Rob Hindmarch (1961-2002 - 40 appearances and one memorable goal against the **** 1990-91)
Colin Larkin (42)
Walter Zenga (64)
Paul Bradshaw (1956-2024 - 200 appearances 1977-84)
Laurie Kelly (1925-72 - 60 appearances 1947-50)

and today's birthdays

Bill Slater (1927-2018 - 310 appearances 1952-63. Wolves legend)

That Rob Hindmarch goal is one of my greatest ever moments as a Wolves fan. To see all those Baggie Buffoons silenced after all their baiting of us was magnificent. Also to see Keith Downing get right in that scumbag Graham Roberts face after the goal went in was superb.

Moments like that is why I can honestly say I have never left a game early.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy birthday today to

Tony Towner (69)
Mick Hollifield (63)
Matt Murray (43)

The sad thing with Matt Murray is " What could have been but for injuries " . What a keeper he was shaping up to be. I like him as a pundit and feel Sky don't use him enough as personally I think we need to hear more from a keeper instead of prats like Merson, Sherwood and McManaman saying " The keeper should have done better there "

Within the space of a couple of years in the early eighties Wolves went from in the knows strongly linking us Michel Platini, Rene Van Der Kerkhoff and Johnny Rep , to actually signing Alan Birch and Tony Towner. Tony was not a bad player but he was no Johnny Rep.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
The sad thing with Matt Murray is " What could have been but for injuries " . What a keeper he was shaping up to be. I like him as a pundit and feel Sky don't use him enough as personally I think we need to hear more from a keeper instead of prats like Merson, Sherwood and McManaman saying " The keeper should have done better there "

Within the space of a couple of years in the early eighties Wolves went from in the knows strongly linking us Michel Platini, Rene Van Der Kerkhoff and Johnny Rep , to actually signing Alan Birch and Tony Towner. Tony was not a bad player but he was no Johnny Rep.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Norman, do you mean Paul Birch ? Me and a mate went on the pitch at Exeter after a midweek freight Rover game (86/87 ish) and asked Towner for his shirt. He said he couldn’t give us his shirt so gave us a tie up each. Two 18 year olds walked off the pitch grinning from ear to ear.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Norman, do you mean Paul Birch ? Me and a mate went on the pitch at Exeter after a midweek freight Rover game (86/87 ish) and asked Towner for his shirt. He said he couldn’t give us his shirt so gave us a tie up each. Two 18 year olds walked off the pitch grinning from ear to ear.

No Mate I am talking Paul Birch's brother ! Wolves signed him from Chesterfield and he only played 15 games for us. This was the 1981/82 season so for a £200,00 fee he was was a colossal waste of money. As you are a Wolves fan this will surprise you 0.0000%, , a year before the Chorley humiliation in the FA Cup First Round in the 1985/86 it was Rotherham 6 Wolves 0 and guess who scored twice for The Millers and was unplayable, Alan Birch :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From the excellent Wolves Complete History .

Saturday November 16th 1985 FA Cup First Round

Rotherham ( 2 ) 6 Wolves ( 0 ) 0 Scorers Tynan ( 15 ) Simmons ( 45 ) Gooding ( 74 ) Alan Birch ( 80,82 ) Smith ( 86 )

Rotherham. O'Hanlon ; Forrest ; Dungworth ; MIKE GOODING :) ; Smith; Pickering ; Birch ; Emerson ; Tommy Tynan ( another in the list of players who seemed to always score v Wolves ! ) Simmons : Pugh ; Substitute Elsey

Wolves . Scott Barrett; Steve Stoutt ; David Barnes ; Nicky Clarke; Ricky Herbert ; Paul Dougherty ; John Purdie ; Derek Ryan ; Alan Ainscow ; Campbell Chapman ; Danny Crainie Substitute Mick Coady.

Steve Stoutt , Danny Crainie, John Purdie and David Barnes booked. Nicky Clarke sent off by Referee A.Robinson in the 54th minute for violent conduct.

Note; Scott Barret was injured in the warm up and should not have played.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves always lose whenever they play on my birthday, at least it's fairly early in the season,so usually not disastrous to our season hopes!

Longford Wolf

Reaction score
Sorry, what a fool I am. It wasn’t Towner, it was Willy Raines who gave us the tie ups.

Back
Top Bottom