Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Anyone else thinking sod it

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's my routine these days and I can pick up a ticket for sufficient games to suit me. Sometimes an issue if I want to take my lad, but never had an issue picking up a resale for a single ticket

We're going to do that and do a few at Shrewsbury each season too.

It's a shame as I've also noticed an impact on my 7 year old lad in terms of his enjoyment of the game. We're going to Shrews v Wycombe on Sat and without VAR, he's well up for it!

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's my routine these days and I can pick up a ticket for sufficient games to suit me. Sometimes an issue if I want to take my lad, but never had an issue picking up a resale for a single ticket

Same. Got rid of my ST last summer, felt like a real blow at the time (have a family/ Liz Truss “enhanced” mortgage these days), but coming by tickets to home games has not been an issue if you’re not fussy where you sit.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another one in the don’t celebrate club here. Struggle to understand how anyone can, not properly anyway.

Funny (well not really) story… I’m abroad at the min so only got updates from Saturdays match on here, on the comms thread. Didn’t check it for a while after they scored the second. Logged back on to see Kilman scored. Not even a single shred of excitement went thru me as I just knew as I scrolled down there was a chance I would see the dreaded words, VAR check. Low and behold, just a few posts down and there it was.

I actually just wryly smiled to myself. It’s completely knocked the stuffing out of me. Goals will never, ever, be the same again.

Not celebrated a goal like I did pre-VAR since it’s introduction.

That aspect, by a distance the best aspect of attending football, has been ripped away from fans.

JR’s Boots

Groupie
Reaction score
I cant honestly remember being so upset walking out of Molineux before (my first game was in 1970)

It was something far, far deeper than missing out on a point against west ham in a season that's over for us anyway.

There have been lots of defeats in bigger games, sometimes last minute etc but this was different. It was a huge sense of injustice that the game has, inexplicably, been changed for the worse by people who are not football fans and wouldn't understand 'limbs' if they attended a two week seminar on the subject. We did not consent to this, there was no vote, no discussion - there it is - VAR, deal with it or find something else to do on a Saturday.

Shi was spot on - no one in the ground had a problem with that goal. Some corporate clone in west London, however, decided there was a way to spoil the fun and that was that.

I got into a minor altercation outside the ground and a road rage incident on the way home, nothing serious but both could have ended up a lot worse. Absolutely ridiculous behaviour for a grown man - i am embarrassed. Anyone who tries to defend VAR or suggest 'improvements' is dead to me - just not interested. I want my beautiful game back, warts & all.

RIP Football
I felt the same. It was a goal at any level, any time and any where in the world before VAR. I celebrated like mad because I could see no reason then or now why the goal was scrubbed. I felt cheated and foolish for jumping around over something that had in fact no substance or reality. Morons, in pursuit of the unobtainable have trashed our game.

I'm not sure it's worth the time, expense and emotional commitment to see some jobsworth who has no understanding of how the game is played, interfere from a 100 miles away, without any accountability for their subjective stupidity

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've had some tool at work today trying to say the TMO works better in rugby so what's the difference. I told him the TMO use in rugby has increased and it's a distraction now. It's also being used more to review tries and they go back quite far too make sure it's a valid try. I also told him there's nothing like the passion there is in football. I'm talking with plenty of experience too. Not just Wolves but I've also been to multiple world cups and euros plus the last rugby world cup. He's just a part time sports watcher so **** knows why I even continued to have a conversation with him about it.
The thing I really like about TMO is that the ref has 2 options:

1) "Any reason I can't give the try?" i.e. only overturn me if I've made a horrible mistake
2) "Was it a try?" i.e. I have no idea, it's up to you.

I prefer that VAR sticks more to the on field ref's view now, but some of the time they're guessing, so it's nonsensical to stick to that when they really don't know.

The other day in a match a player was there yelling "**** off" to a linesman and the officals did nothing.
Swearing, in football?

The game's gone!

loppers86

Reaction score
i was watching some of the Miked-up VAR discussions that sky have and i noticed two things:

it’s a rabble with everyone shouting over everyone else.
very often people say the final
decision is SUBJECTIVE.

if it’s subjective then what is the point of stopping the game and getting someone other
than the ref to make a subjective decision.

i honestly don’t know what problem they were trying to fix with VAR. We have always had games over the years where we have said ‘the ref had a shocker’ but that was just part and parcel of the game- it didn’t make it any less entertaining.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We left home at 7am and drove over 200 miles. watched us robbed by VAR and then drove another 200 back and got home at 9.30pm. it is no longer worth doing this for us. it isnt the money for the tickets or the travel or the rubbish food etc its the hollow feeling of being robbed by VAR. a regulator will compound this problem not make it better. for all of you out there thinking a regulator will save things... it won't.

we lost football years ago and i am close to completely giving up

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We left home at 7am and drove over 200 miles. watched us robbed by VAR and then drove another 200 back and got home at 9.30pm. it is no longer worth doing this for us. it isnt the money for the tickets or the travel or the rubbish food etc its the hollow feeling of being robbed by VAR. a regulator will compound this problem not make it better. for all of you out there thinking a regulator will save things... it won't.

I have been a Wolves supporter since the 1950s; seen over 1,000 Wolves games home and away (best guess). But my existing season ticket will be the last. VAR has ruined the game for me and for many others.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose VAR is good for seeing things that go on “off the ball” .

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For me VAR (or the technology itself) isn’t the problem, it’s what it’s used for and more specifically the human error that’s consistently attached to it. For me it should be there for the “black and white” elements like was a foul inside the box or out, is a player on or offside” I’ve no issue with a players toe being offside or a foul being a centimetre inside the box as it’s still a penalty or it’s still offside. It’s when it’s used for “grey” areas of subjectivity like the amount of contact in a foul or whether a player is interfering like Saturday.

I’m like a broken record on it but the level of officiating in this country now is beyond woeful and is getting worse season by season. As a kid in the 80s n 90s we had the best referees in the world, now we’re a million miles away from other countries. They spoil my enjoyment of football much more than VAR ever does.
What technology? It’s just moving or still pictures interpreted by humans.

Topcat

Groupie
Reaction score
The problem with VAR is not the technology at fault, it’s how it’s interpreted that’s the problem.

In an ideal world the on-field ref should have the final decision unless they feel they can’t make that call, then refer it to VAR. Presently, VAR wades in irrespective of the that decision and basically meddles and micro manages every fine margin in what is a football game, totally ridiculous!

Yes, I accept refs make mistakes, it’s only human nature but I can accept that over the monstrosity that VAR has become.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
I think this is the classic misunderstanding of the non-match going fan.
VAR doesn’t ruin the game if you enjoy football watching highlights on your phone or reading posts on a message board.
It ruins it for those of us who live for the spontaneous emotion of seeing live, unpredictable and (hopefully) unscripted moments of live sport.
I live in the U.S. which means that I have to watch games on TV - let me tell you, VAR ruins even my experience in watching the matches. Not as dramatically as for you all in the stadium, but still, it's horse**** at home, too. When I watched a Wolves match in one of the cup games where we didn't have VAR, it was freeing mentally and psychologically to just the let the players get on with it - like, noticeably so.

I agree with most that this technocratic use of VAR/technology to re-referee the games is killing football. If I had my way, I would get rid of it ASAP. If the authorities continue with VAR (and they will), then it should only be used for egregious, completely and utterly obvious errors and not marginal, technical errors. Like, everyone agrees an error occurred, not 50/50 or even 75/25 calls, but no doubt about it errors. Referees should not be waiting for VAR to "help" them - call it as you see it right on the spot.

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score
I have been a Wolves supporter since the 1950s; seen over 1,000 Wolves games home and away (best guess). But my existing season ticket will be the last. VAR has ruined the game for me and for many others.
Fully understand this, I have just sold my seat for the Arsenal game and that will be the 1st home league game I will miss since we got promoted (covid aside of course) as Saturday just sucked everything I go to football for out of me. I am really in 2 minds about what to do about renewing next season and completely torn between my love of Wolves and the hate of what the game has become.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it isn’t broken don’t fix it.
There’s a phrase that comes to mind.

There hasn’t been many of the changes brought with the premier league 30 years ago that have actually improved the game.
Back pass rule maybe .Goal line tech possibly

Everything else is change for changes sake

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fact that you have to go back nearly 30 years to pick out a couple of pre-VAR absolute travesties, when there have been half a dozen this season alone with VAR says it all.

VAR out
As said above it was in reference to the feeling after a game.

There are plenty of howlers without VAR. It's why there was so much call to bring it in.

Also, Saturday was an exception for us. Generally, all our terrible decisions would have remained that way if you all got your way and no VAR, that's what I don't get.

Munich_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As said above it was in reference to the feeling after a game.

There are plenty of howlers without VAR. It's why there was so much call to bring it in.

Also, Saturday was an exception for us. Generally, all our terrible decisions would have remained that way if you all got your way and no VAR, that's what I don't get.

I think VAR is affecting the way games are reffed on field. The refs didn't suddenly become so much poorer overnight, not only in the PL but all over Europe, to the point where in more volatile nations they are attacked by players and owners.

It's negative effect isn't just the VAR refs making errors, it's so much more wide-reaching and profound than that.....it's forced rule adaptations and influenced on field referee decisions by it's very existence.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
I think VAR is affecting the way games are reffed on field. The refs didn't suddenly become so much poorer overnight, not only in the PL but all over Europe, to the point where in more volatile nations they are attacked by players and owners.

It's negative effect isn't just the VAR refs making errors, it's so much more wide-reaching and profound than that.....it's forced rule adaptations and influenced on field referee decisions by it's very existence.
No doubt the existence of VAR is changing how the games are reffed. Just watch how long they wait before flagging offsides, even when it's obvious. It's also obvious that they call things (or don't call things) knowing that they have a backup in the VAR studio. They've given up their authority on the pitch to some nincompoop in a studio far, far away... dumb, dumb, dumb.

Edited to add: and cowardly.

Last edited:

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

But will you? I bet you don't. I have given up after 50 years but that's due more to age, health, cost and also for me distance to games. Really don't miss it but never miss a game on the laptop/tv.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thing I really like about TMO is that the ref has 2 options:

1) "Any reason I can't give the try?" i.e. only overturn me if I've made a horrible mistake
2) "Was it a try?" i.e. I have no idea, it's up to you.

The other thing about rugby (not sure if English rugby is the same) is that the increased use of VAR has coincided with rule changes to remove time wasting, slow walks, constantly reset scrums etc..
For an 80 minute game last season's actual duration figures from 1st whistle to last whistle were down to 91 minutes from nearly 99 minutes per match.
Removing the ability for teams to time waste and take a breather when they're physically tired has increased the number of tries per game substantially, which is one of the objectives of a physical game where stamina is so important. You watch a game of rugby...it's the last 15 minutes where the better team should pull away from the opposition due to the better work they've put in over the previous 65 minutes and they should have more gas left in the tank through playing a better game.
How many times have we seen football matches where one team has time-wasted itself to a draw they barely deserve? In circumstances like that, VAR isn't a big deal.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But will you? I bet you don't. I have given up after 50 years but that's due more to age, health, cost and also for me distance to games. Really don't miss it but never miss a game on the laptop/tv.
You seem to be a carbon copy of me with those comments, nnw.

Keep well mate and keep the faith.

Whirligig Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another game you weren’t at.

You’ll never understand the emotion of being at a game.

VAR has just ruined what would have been one of the greatest sporting fairytales and all because toddlers have been screaming ‘life’s not fair’
Why do you keep saying this lie?

Who is the toddler here? You can't accept a correct decision lol.

If the roles were reversed and United scored a winner that camera angles shows was offside, and we could get to that decision in a matter of minutes, there would be outrage that we let United go through.

Sounds like you should stick to EastEnders and Hollyoaks as you just want drama.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
OK nothing to do with Wolves who have been cheated out of so many points with var but did you see Coventry becoming the latest victims of a ridiculous decision as they ripped man u apart and was robbed by a var judgement that only showed the players level and killed a dramatic game stone dead.
As has been pointed out its not var in itself that gets it wrong but the calls made by an overseer and all that that brings. I don't believe the pace and movement of the game can be caught in a still photo to give a defining decision. Let's have our game back with all its faults and give var the boot.

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
Var has loads of issues, especially when it's a matter of interpretation and judgement however when it's a case of fact i.e offside and goal line then there's not really any argument.

Just for a second let's pretend the Coventry player was half an inch onside but flagged after the goal only for the decision to be overturned who on here hand on heart would be outraged today? I'm guessing none, yes it's horrible but that's football it doesn't matter if it's an inch or a yard offside is offside and it was the correct decision.

rubyloo

Reaction score
Var has loads of issues, especially when it's a matter of interpretation and judgement however when it's a case of fact i.e offside and goal line then there's not really any argument.

Just for a second let's pretend the Coventry player was half an inch onside but flagged after the goal only for the decision to be overturned who on here hand on heart would be outraged today? I'm guessing none, yes it's horrible but that's football it doesn't matter if it's an inch or a yard offside is offside and it was the correct decision.
You think VAR is accurate to half an inch?

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What are the technical limitations of the tech. You do not know you just trust. The point is every tech has limitations. If a play moves at 5 m/s (slow) that is 500 cm a sec or 2 inchs every 1/100 of a sec. Now look at frame rate, now look at when the was kicked. If you think it is that accurate I have a bridge to sell you ;)

Oldskooldayz

Groupie
Reaction score
What are the technical limitations of the tech. You do not know you just trust. The point is every tech has limitations. If a play moves at 5 m/s (slow) that is 500 cm a sec or 2 inchs every 1/100 of a sec. Now look at frame rate, now look at when the was kicked. If you think it is that accurate I have a bridge to sell you ;)
Ok would you be saying this if it wet Coventry's way?

loppers86

Reaction score
It's bizarre reading posts from fans saying they don't celebrate a goal anymore. There's nothing in football like that white hot celebration, the euphoria that makes you look around for anyone to embrace and shake hands with etc. If that's ever gone then I'm gone.
i don’t celebrate at all… i look at the opposition see if they’re getting in the refs ear… then await VAR (often 3, 4 or 5 minutes) and during that time i lose the impulse to celebrate. VAR is a disaster and anybody that thinks is isn’t doesn’t get football … which importantly is all the money men running the game.

thetwistedsock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i don’t celebrate at all… i look at the opposition see if they’re getting in the refs ear… then await VAR (often 3, 4 or 5 minutes) and during that time i lose the impulse to celebrate. VAR is a disaster and anybody that thinks is isn’t doesn’t get football … which importantly is all the money men running the game.
If I get like that I will stop going. Let's see at the end of next season.

Back
Top Bottom