Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton, surely a points deduction?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
You're dreaming if you think they'll have the power to make any real change
This sort of stuff wouldn't go on with the PL I'm sure. Regulators are definitely not there just to give a veneer of respectability to companies who have a legal obligation to maximise profits.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So as soon as the regulations actually show their teeth and actually do something the clubs are trying to squirm out of them. Shows that they are actually working lol.
A financial penalty for clubs where finances are of no consequence seems fair :tonguewink:
Well if the financial punishment is punitive enough they will work
By punitive i mean in the millions not a few hundred thousand
Something along the lines of whatever the amount over is the fine delivered

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well if the financial punishment is punitive enough they will work
By punitive i mean in the millions not a few hundred thousand
Something along the lines of whatever the amount over is the fine delivered
are you joking lol. would have to be significant to even register for Newcastle who are owned by PIF who deal in billions let alone millions.
a couple of mil is peanuts.
they will just factor the fines into their spending.
What is the cost of rising to be one of the elite clubs on the planet like man city have done. make them fines back in a year

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're dreaming if you think they'll have the power to make any real change

I’m not dreaming, nor am I naive. If the regulator is given the tools and scope, then it can make real change. If it’s a regulator without teeth, and in name only, then it will do sweet fa. That was my earlier point about regulators in general. Some are really effective, some are really crap, but regulations and regulators per se is not the a bad thing.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
are you joking lol. would have to be significant to even register for Newcastle who are owned by PIF who deal in billions let alone millions.
What is the cost of rising to be one of the elite clubs on the planet like man city have done. make them fines back in a year
Especially when the whole point is to normalize ME ownership in England and the part of the world that loves the premiership.

There is no number that would matter in the slightest in that context. Might as well make it a billion quid a year and pump the money into levelling up, imo. Make it ten billion. When would they flinch? Money isn't real there.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not dreaming, nor am I naive. If the regulator is given the tools and scope, then it can make real change. If it’s a regulator without teeth, and in name only, then it will do sweet fa. That was my earlier point about regulators in general. Some are really effective, some are really crap, but regulations and regulators per se is not the a bad thing.
The more money involved, the weaker the regulators are and the premier league makes far too much money to let regulators make any real change

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course the PL can remove FSP in England but then English clubs qualifying for Europe will get absolutely hammered by UEFA who have been busy strengthening their own FSP.

Spending £1Bn then being barred from the CL and the associated £££s looks rather less appealing.....
Very true, hadn't thought about the UEFA rules, unless they're also changing!

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Of course the PL can remove FSP in England but then English clubs qualifying for Europe will get absolutely hammered by UEFA who have been busy strengthening their own FSP.

Spending £1Bn then being barred from the CL and the associated £££s looks rather less appealing.....
Yea, but I think the UEFA rules are still just going to involve fines. If Newcastle spend 150% of their income for a season, they might get fined another 50% of their income. They'll still be fine, the PIF will just pay it out of petty cash, and once they've got to the top table they can be like City and post big profits.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Banked himself £6 million this year at the same time he’s announced they’re scrapping OAP season ticket discounts. He’s got some brass balls!!

Also a crazy micro manager!

The amount of transfer deals he has ballsed up by getting involved last minute!!!

They have lost some top quality players at the 11th hour to rivals because of it, when the deal was in the bag before he stepped in and went against the agreed terms they had with the selling club and in a few cases the salary for the player before his involvement.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The amount of transfer deals he has ballsed up by getting involved last minute!!!

They have lost some top quality players at the 11th hour to rivals because of it, when the deal was in the bag before he stepped in and went against the agreed terms they had with the selling club and in a few cases the salary for the player before his involvement.
Oh that is one impressive list we’ve missed out on

Rabid Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

On the plus side he gave us £15m for Doc.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The more money involved, the weaker the regulators are and the premier league makes far too much money to let regulators make any real change

It’s not down to the amount of money involved, it’s down to the strength of the regulator’s powers and the regulations they are there to enforce. If the government gives them few powers and weakly defined regulations, then they will do little of value. Unfortunately lots of people distrust the government and regulation in general, and if that’s reflected in the football regulators powers, then they will achieve nothing.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of clubs are breaking the limit by £50 mil plus if you think a fine in that region wont hurt most clubs then your crazy
I agree the top clubs could deal with monetary fines but not on a consistent basis
Especially if the fines have to be paid in full at point of delivery

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A lot of clubs are breaking the limit by £50 mil plus if you think a fine in that region wont hurt most clubs then your crazy
I agree the top clubs could deal with monetary fines but not on a consistent basis
Especially if the fines have to be paid in full at point of delivery

For teams owned by sovereign wealth funds, that level of fine is not even peanuts. It’s like buying another squad player, so of course they will pay it and carry on.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
It’s not down to the amount of money involved, it’s down to the strength of the regulator’s powers and the regulations they are there to enforce. If the government gives them few powers and weakly defined regulations, then they will do little of value. Unfortunately lots of people distrust the government and regulation in general, and if that’s reflected in the football regulators powers, then they will achieve nothing.
Yes, but given that the government seems incapable of (or unwilling to) providing effective regulation in services we all rely on, where it created monopolies, it hardly seems likely they'll suddenly decide to impose a highly effective regulator to deal with what is (in some ways at least) a competitive industry.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Soft cap - that was my exact idea to redistribute taxes to the clubs that don’t breach a taxline, hopefully I’ll be due a cheque in the mail if it passes…

Still not sure it will work though. Removing FFP removes the safety blanket, what happens when the Oil Barons are bored of Newcastle after spending billions with zero restrictions leaving them with crippling debts?

It allows those who want to spend to spend, while the clubs who play fair receive a significant tax from each of the clubs that breach it.

Newcastle spend £1 billion with a 50% tax rate on anything over £100 million, £450 million split between the teams that don’t go above the tax line (let’s say 10 clubs), that would mean £45m each.

Might seem like a drop in the ocean, but when you factor in the “big six” doing similar, it would soon add up. Even so, if it gave clubs that played fair an extra £200m to spend it’s still nothing compared to what the top clubs will be spending.

Realistically though what does releasing the shackles actually do for the league. The big six will continue spending, and maybe a flurry of clubs will also spend exorbitant amounts to try to compete - namely Newcastle.

Does it actually benefit us in the long run? If anything it creates a less competitive league as the “big six” becomes however many other clubs want to spend billions to try to compete until their owners get bored and cut the cord.

Keep FFP but make it less restrictive, allow clubs to spend 100% of what they earn rather than 70%. It doesn’t solve the problem of the “big six” still having significantly more room to spend, but I’m not convinced a free-for-all would be any better to be honest.
I like the idea @Skrilla. As @WickedWolfie said there would need to be an alignment with UEFA rules, and one other restriction I would impose is that spending over the cap is not only ‘taxed’ but must be funded by equity, not debt. Then, if things go pop, which they will at some point, only the owner gets burnt and not the local tradesmen/suppliers who always lose out in football administrations at the expense of football creditors.

kidder_wolf_II

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This one confuses me (yes I know that’s easily done), but how can he award himself a bonus and a pay rise. Isn’t he accountable to shareholders or a board of directors?
Depends what the losses are for. They are probably still paying off their new stadium so these losses are probably budgeted for in a long term plan.

Levi is also responsible for increasing revenue on a match day from £1m to £6m per game since moving into the new stadium so the bonus and pay rise he has given himself could of been pre agreed on the basis he achieved this goal

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mostly owned by him and his mate Joe Lewis though isn't it, so basically they aren't accountable to anyone but each other?

So he gives himself a bonus and a pay rise out of his own money….! It doesn’t make much sense to me.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
So he gives himself a bonus and a pay rise out of his own money….! It doesn’t make much sense to me.
It's actual money in his pocket rather than tied up in as asset though I guess? I mean theoretically he owns something like 30% of a £3b club, but that doesn't help when it's his round at the bar.

Just to correct my earlier post as he just randomly appeared on the news being sentenced for insider trading(!) apparently Joe Lewis's ownership is now in an independent trust.

Last edited:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Apologies for the source but really self-explanatory about how those three clubs ended up in the mire....

Snorbans Wolf

Reaction score

Apologies for the source but really self-explanatory about how those three clubs ended up in the mire....
It may be in the timeframes that my confusion arises, but I’ve seen similar tables that say we are in the bottom five or so for wages, so is this telling us that our turnover is really really low compared to other teams?

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's actual money in his pocket rather than tied up in as asset though I guess? I mean theoretically he owns something like 30% of a £3b club, but that doesn't help when it's his round at the bar.

You know full well that Levy is the bloke who quietly nips outside for a smoke when it's his round at the bar.

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
UEFA will have to toe the line with the clubs, or else we will be back to looking at a European Super League which they have no control over.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter how much is spent only one side wins the league each season. Whether unlimited funds or FFP/son of FFP - the approach will still massively favour the richer/higher income clubs.

It is what it is.

We have to be lucky (like Leicester were for a couple of seasons and Brighton now) and pick some talent who excel with us or we can sell on.

Still would like to see a Cup win again after 1980 in my remaining lifetime. Have no expectation of winning league (or unless a fluke getting into CL).

Enjoyed Nuno and would be happy to get close to repeating that.

Rubberball

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It may be in the timeframes that my confusion arises, but I’ve seen similar tables that say we are in the bottom five or so for wages, so is this telling us that our turnover is really really low compared to other teams?
It looks about right.

The total wage bill at the club for 22/23 was up to £123.8m from £104.5m

We had 42 pros on the books (Fraser, Moulden and other first year pros included). If we generously say the non-playing staff cost the club £24m per year in wages and on-costs that means the average wage at the club for a player would be £45.5k per week which would put us in the bottom 5 according to a variety of articles on the web.

Now that's a crude way of working it out but would explain a fair bit.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were in the bottom 3 this season for wage bill.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is exactly what it is telling us. Other articles showing that have been published on here before.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
UEFA will have to toe the line with the clubs, or else we will be back to looking at a European Super League which they have no control over.
Except football is a worldwide business.

The Courts in Europe have no legal sway outside that continent. I'm sure that organised consumer boycotts worldwide for any commercial partners, other fan backlash, not to mention international bans for Brazilians, Argentinians etc etc would have many players questioning whether they want any part of that....

If FIFA really wanted to ram that message home it could chose to move its headquarters out of Europe....

Oh, given that HMG has explicitly stated that the English football regulator will have explicit powers to block English clubs joining, l wish any such clubs good luck in challenging UK primary legislation in the UK (technically England and Wales) Courts.

Last edited:

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True, but the Super League clubs didn't just want the Super league. They wanted it as a supplementary income on top of the Premier League and Champions League. If UEFA tell them that any participant in the Super League will be immediately expelled from UEFA and the Premier League follow suit then the clubs will have nowhere to go. Yes, the Premier League relies on the 'big 6' to retain it's attractiveness and so does the Champions League. But that works both ways. How long will the clubs remain the elite with only what is essentially a series of exhibition games to sell?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa fans at work reckon they will ignore any problems with FFP looming with there accounts for this season....not sell anybody by the end of June and just take the points deduction next year....why put yourself at a disadvantage when all the rules seem to be changing.....just take the 4-6 points......

To be fair with the current situation it is one way of looking at it....

Back
Top Bottom