Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Has GON Been Tapped Up?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely Stadler and Waldorf vibes....
If we’re going muppets, I’m definitely more “Animal”
Loop Drumming GIF

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sussex, do you really believe the finances were that tight???

I don’t know if I’m totally honest. I didn’t trust Shi or Fosun a year ago when they appeared to change their tune over the limits of FFP. It was then reported from various sources we were close in the last assessment period, and a fair few clubs ended up close to the limit by all accounts, so I have to conclude that maybe the club were on the level after all. Loppy didn’t fill me with trust in hindsight.

As for the current assessment period ending in June, we’ve heard some pretty definitive figures stated for how close we would have been had we finished 17th, and I have no evidence to believe otherwise at this stage. My nagging doubt is that we have seen Shi change his narrative over the years, sometimes even over the course of a summer, so there is some uncertainty in how much we can trust what’s reported by the club through their trusted journalists. But until I see evidence to the contrary, I’m going to accept what’s been reported.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Fosun wish to achieve their originally stated objectives they need to back GON. Now that they have a proven quality manager, they can really push on towards these objectives. The summer transfer window will tell us how serious they really are.
I think many of us have blindly clung on to such a statement for the last 3 summers.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I don’t know if I’m totally honest. I didn’t trust Shi or Fosun a year ago when they appeared to change their tune over the limits of FFP. It was then reported from various sources we were close in the last assessment period, and a fair few clubs ended up close to the limit by all accounts, so I have to conclude that maybe the club were on the level after all. Loppy didn’t fill me with trust in hindsight.

As for the current assessment period ending in June, we’ve heard some pretty definitive figures stated for how close we would have been had we finished 17th, and I have no evidence to believe otherwise at this stage. My nagging doubt is that we have seen Shi change his narrative over the years, sometimes even over the course of a summer, so there is some uncertainty in how much we can trust what’s reported by the club through their trusted journalists. But until I see evidence to the contrary, I’m going to accept what’s been reported.
I think that’s fair I agree that all I’ve seen from various sources was that we were very close around 2m close. Interesting that forest based there projections on finishing 15th wheras we did ours on finishing 17th
Clearly we’ll finish higher than that which will give us slightly more to play with next season even without selling let’s hope Gary gets the backing he deserves

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Ron Jeremy, Rocco Siffredi & Linzi Drew used to :oops: :cool:

I'll get me coat...................
Post of the day!

Sullivan always comes across as the sort of bloke who if you shook his hand you’d check afterwards that your watch was still there.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the way of the world. Fosun will know that.
The alternative is to employ failures that no other clubs want. And that will destroy their investment.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You wouldn’t trust him with your spouse or your kids or your pets would you?

Mrs SBK is hard as nails, she’d kick him straight in the balls, my kids are feral he’d bring them back and the hound is a Romanian Rescue who hates anyone wearing a hat so if he had that daft Cossack hat on he wears he’d be chewed through lol

loppers86

Reaction score
Of course he would have been sounded out by West Ham, knowing that Moyes is likely stepping down at the end of the season. And he will have made the club fully aware that he’s got options at the end of the season. It’s nothing new and is happening to managers around the world every single season, it’s the leverage he needs to get some solid promises for the summer.
but unfortunately GON will
have realised that Shi promises aren’t worth the paper they are
written on and he will be replacing
de zerbi.

Lawley Wolf

Reaction score
I thought it was strange how GON responded to the Manure interest by saying what big clubs Man U AND Liverpool were. it was nothing to do with Liverpool but I wondered if he is trying to put himself in the frame for that knowing it will be available soon

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ominous noises again, I won't be surprised if he goes or leaves by mutual consent.

The lack of depth in the squad we've chanced for years and this time our lucks ran out...you keep gambling that way and you get caught out.

Luckily we've the points in the bag to be safe however it needs to be addressed for next season regardless of who the manager is , big summer ahead.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just been reading GON's comments after last night and reading between the lines he sounds like a very ****ed off manager. He's obviously extremely ambitious and after his heroics last season at B'mouth losing the chance to take us to Europe because of our paper-thin squad will surely test his loyalty to Wolves. Realistically imv there are only 2 Prem clubs that could come his way - Everton now if they sack Dyche and possibly WHU in the summer if Moyes goes. I genuinely believe his stock has risen so high now that he would be in with a shout at both clubs. My view is that he will be here in the summer but our transfer dealings, both in and out will determine his future.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just been reading GON's comments after last night and reading between the lines he sounds like a very ****ed off manager. He's obviously extremely ambitious and after his heroics last season at B'mouth losing the chance to take us to Europe because of our paper-thin squad will surely test his loyalty to Wolves. Realistically imv there are only 2 Prem clubs that could come his way - Everton now if they sack Dyche and possibly WHU in the summer if Moyes goes. I genuinely believe his stock has risen so high now that he would be in with a shout at both clubs. My view is that he will be here in the summer but our transfer dealings, both in and out will determine his future.
Surely anybody wanting to join Everton at the minute would require sectioning......

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I can imagine him jumping ship and going to Everton .. I mean who wouldn’t want to :) a club on the brink of administration would be so attractive

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton now if they sack Dyche and possibly WHU in the summer if Moyes goes. I genuinely believe his stock has risen so high now that he would be in with a shout at both clubs.

Wow, his stock must be really high if you think he could even be considered for the Everton job! I'd be flattered to think a Wolves manager could go on to one day manage Everton. What an honour.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Makes absolute sense - Everton are a clear upgrade with their squad depth, and financial strength, why wouldn’t he jump at the opportunity to work for such a sensible and well planned club?

Glow69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Nothing to worry about then if those are the two clubs his destined for

A basket of a club and the other one who have the ego to believe they have a history of playing like barcelona

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
Makes absolute sense - Everton are a clear upgrade with their squad depth, and financial strength, why wouldn’t he jump at the opportunity to work for such a sensible and well planned
There’ll be a queue, surely for such a prestigious job

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can imagine him jumping ship and going to Everton .. I mean who wouldn’t want to :) a club on the brink of administration would be so attractive

His stock now has soared well past that absolute shower of a club……….

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I would say he will stay at Wolves and then take over for the bloke who replaces Klopp. He is SO YOUNG for a manager. No rush at all to jump anywhere. This is such an ideal situation...even the constraints take some heat off him. If he stays at Wolves a few seasons and keeps improving at the job, he will probably do well, and in 2027 or so his stock will be quite, quite high. And he will be just entering his mid 40s.

Jump too early and he could just be flavour of the month.

Last edited:

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Think people reading well too far into the comments. I just saw it as a bit of self protectionism.
Performances are dropping off a bit, the players are tired, we needed reinforcements in Jan and the club/fosun didnt provide them, so dont blame me or the players from now to end of season if it gets real dire.
Pretty much the majority of what we all are thinking tbh. Dont see it much more than that.

Cant imagine any of the elite clubs are looking at him after a good 3/4 of a season. If we are in the same position next year then maybe.

GON needed Wolves possibly more than Wolves needed GON at the time we are only 9 months on from that

Just see this as a bit of posturing which happens all the time. Is he pleased the club didnt pull their finger out in Jan, clearly not. Is it going to change much now, probably not.
Would be more concerned if i was a brighton/De Zerbi fan with his comments and clubs touted for him.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think the long and short is most people know that GON has done a great job with limited resources at our club . We sold multiple players and cut the wage bill. So you would expect him to be backed which didn't happen in the last window . He himself stated that things changed in the last week.

So I think GON knows his stock has risen in the game so failure to back him will leave us open for him to go .

Has he signed a new contract ? . Wonder why if the offer is so amazing at our club and he has the full backing from the top . Few big decisions in the coming months on the way we go as a club . Because like the stadium, striker situation for seasons, managers told one thing then something else happens. Things are as clear as mud with our strategy imo at the moment.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We might have a paper thin forward line, but that also doesn’t disguise fact GON has also made a fair few poor decisions himself the last few weeks which have, IMO, massively compounded the situation and, at the very least, are a big part the reason we are not in a FA Cup semi final.

Way too much overthinking going on both by him, and also on this thread it would appear.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Troy Deeney recommends Gary for the Liverpool job :D
Deeney said that based solely on the assumption that Liverpool will be using nothing but young and inexperienced players next year as all their stars and senior players leave for pastures new.

Okay, Troy.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I would say he will stay at Wolves and then take over for the bloke who replaces Klopp. He is SO YOUNG for a manager. No rush at all to jump anywhere. This is such an ideal situation...even the constraints take some heat off him. If he stays at Wolves a few seasons and keeps improving at the job, he will probably do well, and in 2027 or so his stock will be quite, quite high. And he will be just entering his mid 40s.

Jump too early and he could just be flavour of the month.

So basically, don’t do a graham potter lol

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wow, his stock must be really high if you think he could even be considered for the Everton job! I'd be flattered to think a Wolves manager could go on to one day manage Everton. What an honour.

Don't kid yourself. Resurrecting Everton would be a massive feather in the cap. Whatever you think, Everton are legendary club of English footy.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't kid yourself. Resurrecting Everton would be a massive feather in the cap. Whatever you think, Everton are legendary club of English footy.
Trouble is in their current predicament and with how their ownership is, I doubt Jesus could resurrect them. If it’s not this season it’ll be next they go down

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves have lost two high class coaches due to funding not being what they expected. I hope that Gary O’Neil does not go the same way. His comments made me think he is frustrated, so I hope the club back him in the summer. If they don’t I fear he will be off.

Back
Top Bottom