Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Has GON Been Tapped Up?

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look at the Premier League and tell us which club would offer Gary O'Neil a head coach job right now?

Clue: they all sit in the bottom five, so it wouldn't be entertained. In fact, I don't think Luton or Burnley would either, so that leaves only possibly Sheff Utd, Forest, and Everton.

Whether we think he's good or not, none of the other teams would replace their manager with GON.

So I guess the answer is... no.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he was mostly slated for walking out, rather than speaking out!
This is how I remember it, too. The speaking out part was largely applauded, admittedly he did another interview that didn’t go down too well later in the summer but he’d effectively gone by then.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Look at the Premier League and tell us which club would offer Gary O'Neil a head coach job right now?

Clue: they all sit in the bottom five, so it wouldn't be entertained. In fact, I don't think Luton or Burnley would either, so that leaves only possibly Sheff Utd, Forest, and Everton.

Whether we think he's good or not, none of the other teams would replace their manager with GON.

So I guess the answer is... no.
At the end of the season? Brighton when De Zerbi leaves, West Ham when Moyes leaves, Fulham when Silva jacks it in out of self interest again, Utd have already offered a coaching job with (guesswork) would have come with a future job offer perhaps, but that’s further down the line. Even an argument if Howe gets replaced at Newcastle. His name will be on a lot of lists of possible replacements because he’s young, English and pretty highly thought of. None of the clubs mentioned would be unhappy if he was linked.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the end of the season? Brighton when De Zerbi leaves, West Ham when Moyes leaves, Fulham when Silva jacks it in out of self interest again, Utd have already offered a coaching job with (guesswork) would have come with a future job offer perhaps,

Isn't this about his head being turned right now?

At the end of the season... Fulham at a push if they're left without a manager, but there's no chance the other three would take our Gary as a head coach. I would LOVE to see West Ham and Man Utd's fanbase reactions, which would ultimately lead to him not being hired, even if there was any chance he was being considered.

Just the way I see it, matter of opinions.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
At the end of the season? Brighton when De Zerbi leaves, West Ham when Moyes leaves, Fulham when Silva jacks it in out of self interest again, Utd have already offered a coaching job with (guesswork) would have come with a future job offer perhaps, but that’s further down the line. Even an argument if Howe gets replaced at Newcastle. His name will be on a lot of lists of possible replacements because he’s young, English and pretty highly thought of. None of the clubs mentioned would be unhappy if he was linked.
Fulham or West Ham possibly both would probably prefer someone with more experience
Newcastle absolutely no chance

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who knows if he has already been tapped up or not, but if it's true Moyes is going at the end of this season then GON will surely be one of the possibles. I can see it happening, especially if FOSUN fart about, as my guess is that it would be cheap for West Ham to pay up his Wolves contract. Plus he is very ambitious and an ex-West Ham player. They have a more than decent squad and a 62,000 stadium that regularly sells out. If he were offered it I think he would be off. .. especially if we were to give them a hiding next weekend....

Last edited:

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fulham or West Ham possibly both would probably prefer someone with more experience
Newcastle absolutely no chance
As possibly the most deluded fan base in football, West Ham fans would be up in arms if they appointed GON as they’ll think Pep is lined up for them. After all they’re hounding out the first manager who has won them something in 45 years and currently has them sat in a European place as well. Though I suppose they did win a World Cup in 66, so they have high ambition

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who knows if he has already been tapped up or not, but if it's true Moyes is going at the end of this season then GON will surely be one of the possibles. I can see it happening, especially if FOSUN fart about, as my guess is that it would be cheap for West Ham to pay up his Wolves contract. Plus he is very ambitious and an ex-West Ham player. They have a more than decent squad and a 62,000 stadium that regularly sells out. If he were offered it I think he would be off. And if we were to give them a hiding next weekend....
West Ham would be a massive attraction compared to working for Fosun, he would bite their hand off if the job is offered I reckon.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who knows if he has already been tapped up or not, but if it's true Moyes is going at the end of this season then GON will surely be one of the possibles. I can see it happening, especially if FOSUN fart about, as my guess is that it would be cheap for West Ham to pay up his Wolves contract. Plus he is very ambitious and an ex-West Ham player. They have a more than decent squad and a 62,000 stadium that regularly sells out. If he were offered it I think he would be off. .. especially if we were to give them a hiding next weekend....
I agree with the majority of that reasoning but I don’t think him playing for them makes any difference at all, he is hardly a legend there, he did two seasons and played less games for them than George Saville did for us. Plus during his time there they were a real basket case of a club so doubtful he has particularly fond memories of it.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As possibly the most deluded fan base in football, West Ham fans would be up in arms if they appointed GON as they’ll think Pep is lined up for them. After all they’re hounding out the first manager who has won them something in 45 years and currently has them sat in a European place as well. Though I suppose they did win a World Cup in 66, so they have high ambition
GON possibly going to West Ham has been talked about a lot. Most West Ham fans seem positive to the idea. Ironically some of those in Essex perhaps less so than those in London.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s no truth in that rumour though pretty much everyone has said it wasn’t true
That’s why I said it was guesswork. I don’t believe it either, a club their size would never commit to GON as manager unless he proved himself as a top, top manager.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Isn't this about his head being turned right now?

At the end of the season... Fulham at a push if they're left without a manager, but there's no chance the other three would take our Gary as a head coach. I would LOVE to see West Ham and Man Utd's fanbase reactions, which would ultimately lead to him not being hired, even if there was any chance he was being considered.

Just the way I see it, matter of opinions.
It is about his head being turned right now but all the clubs I’ve mentioned, us too, will be sounding out replacements with their agents knowing that it’s happening to their manager at the same time.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The difference between GON and JL is that GON came in with his eyes open. JL, one feels, was fed a line.

Both are self publicists. Most managers are, especially UK ones who receive favouritism from the media (think Moyes, Howe even Bruce, Warnock and Big Sam). Self publicism is not a flaw, more a necessity in a fickle and disloyal industry that football is.

I'm not against managers telling it like it is.

Jeff and Fosun on the other hand... They'll be dead against it for obvious reasons, some of which are covert.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
That’s why I said it was guesswork. I don’t believe it either, a club their size would never commit to GON as manager unless he proved himself as a top, top manager.
No but you implied that Man Utd would be an option for GoN
I’m a massive O’Neil fan and for sure if he follows this season up with another impressive one he’ll be on bigger clubs radar

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Depsite his success here, appointing any manager after one season of doing well is a massive risk for any premier league team. As things stand at this moment in time, as i said elsewhere, he has a right to be frustrated, he doesnt have a right to have a pop at the club for not backing him in January as he was told about the lack of funds this season. He knew what he was getting into when he signed his 3 year deal.

He got offered a very good opportunity to manage a good premier league squad, an opportunity he wouldnt have got at any other team in the league and its worked out well for both parties. As long as we dont to do him what we did with Lopetegui, i think it would be pretty low for him to walk out unless it was say to a top 6 club after one season. He isnt a West Ham fan, and by the end of the season he will have managed almost as many games for us as he played in his 3 or 4 years as a West Ham player, i think he would have a good enough bond with the players here not to walk out unless as i said its a huge job or he has been Lopeteguied.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No but you implied that Man Utd would be an option for GoN
I’m a massive O’Neil fan and for sure if he follows this season up with another impressive one he’ll be on bigger clubs radar

Thats my thinking. He's had one good season in the scheme of things. I think he needs another to get the interest of the bigger sides.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought it was very strange that he described being linked to a Man Utd coaching role as an honour, I have to admit.

It wasn't an honour, it was an insult. If he was linked with the United job, obviously that's an acceptable thing to say. For a Premier League manager to say it's an honour to be linked with a coaching role at Man Utd is bizarre.

Then, he's finally stood up to the board a week later despite sticking up for their nonsense for the past few months.

The timing does make you ask questions, especially when our season isn't actually over yet in terms of the table, and the injury situation has eased with Cunha coming back. Yet, he chose last night to have a go?

I personally think he's doing this to get a new, improved contract and a bit more control, but it wouldn't be a surprise if he's engineering his way out.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought it was very strange that he described being linked to a Man Utd coaching role as an honour, I have to admit.

It wasn't an honour, it was an insult. If he was linked with the United job, obviously that's an acceptable thing to say. For a Premier League manager to say it's an honour to be linked with a coaching role at Man Utd is bizarre.

Then, he's finally stood up to the board a week later despite sticking up for their nonsense for the past few months.

The timing does make you ask questions, especially when our season isn't actually over yet in terms of the table, and the injury situation has eased with Cunha coming back. Yet, he chose last night to have a go?

I personally think he's doing this to get a new, improved contract and a bit more control, but it wouldn't be a surprise if he's engineering his way out.

I agree, being linked to a coaching role at United from a manager/Head coach role at a premier league club is an insult.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with the majority of that reasoning but I don’t think him playing for them makes any difference at all, he is hardly a legend there, he did two seasons and played less games for them than George Saville did for us. Plus during his time there they were a real basket case of a club so doubtful he has particularly fond memories of it.
GON suffered a broken ankle while at W Ham, which put him out of the game for months. W Ham were a basket case when he was there, you say? They achieved promotion to the PL in 2012, beating Blackpool 2-1 in the Play Off Final at Wembley. GON was a key player for them in the run up to the Final and he played in it. I imagine he has very fond memories of that.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON suffered a broken ankle while at W Ham, which put him out of the game for months. W Ham were a basket case when he was there, you say? They achieved promotion to the PL in 2012, beating Blackpool 2-1 in the Play Off Final at Wembley. GON was a key player for them in the run up to the Final and he played in it. I imagine he has very fond memories of that.
2 managers in his first season and relegation, yes I’d say basket case. I remember that season in the championship under Big Sam well, him and the players were under huge pressure all season as a club who shouldn’t have been down there and just squeezed over the line.

As I said I agree with your other reasons for him going there (plus I’d add it’s closer to where he lives) but I doubt his emotional attachment to them anymore than any player that spends a few seasons at any club.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Based on reports, the financial headroom was very tight, with no more than 2-3m available based on a worst case 17th finish. Gary has already said himself that we had someone lined up on loan, but that we were outbid at the 11th hour and couldn’t match without risking breaking the limit. So was money withheld, then yes in a sense, and no. Had we been sitting in the bottom three and/or missing forwards to injury at the time, then maybe the club takes the risk, spends a few million more, and we aim to finish a couple of places higher so the prize money covers the gap. But back in January, three of four forwards were fit, and the fourth was expected back imminently. Our bigger concern then was losing players to Afcon and Asia Cup, which looked bad but in practice affected only a handful of games.

As for Fabio. For a start he, through his father, made it clear he didn’t want to be here. Secondly, I’m genuinely not sure he offers much more than our two young forwards. Sasa would’ve offered something different, but wasn’t fit and, as we’ve seen since, remains injury prone.
Sussex, do you really believe the finances were that tight???

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 managers in his first season and relegation, yes I’d say basket case. I remember that season in the championship under Big Sam well, him and the players were under huge pressure all season as a club who shouldn’t have been down there and just squeezed over the line.

As I said I agree with your other reasons for him going there (plus I’d add it’s closer to where he lives) but I doubt his emotional attachment to them anymore than any player that spends a few seasons at any club.
Who mentioned "emotional attachment" ? Putting words into my mouth. His boyhood club was Millwall, whose relationship to West Ham is a bit like Walsall's to us! Jealousy! No, I meant he is known and maybe still remembered at West Ham, not as a legend, but he did play in their Play Off winning team. But carry on trying to point score.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who mentioned "emotional attachment" ? Putting words into my mouth. His boyhood club was Millwall, whose relationship to West Ham is a bit like Walsall's to us! Jealousy! No, I meant he is known and maybe still remembered at West Ham, not as a legend, but he did play in the Play Off winning team. But carry on trying to point score.
Jesus get off your high horse, what is your problem? I literally said I agreed with you on all the other points.

I’m fully aware of Milwall and West Ham relationship thanks, you aren’t the only person that watches football.

Chill out and grab a horlicks, it’s really not that deep to lose your mind at someone agreeing with you.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jesus get off your high horse, what is your problem? I literally said I agreed with you on all the other points.

I’m fully aware of Milwall and West Ham relationship thanks, you aren’t the only person that watches football.

Chill out and grab a horlicks, it’s really not that deep to lose your mind at someone agreeing with you.
As usual, thin-skinned, takes offence when challenged, and resorts to ageist insults

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone has a different take on it but no one surely can argue both were told things and then that changed . O'Neil said it changed in the last week of the window . lopetegui also when speaking out said he was told things that never happened.

So can someone please tell me where that sits as for me that's our owners . Not the managers , possibly not even Hobbs if he is doing what he is told .

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everyone has a different take on it but no one surely can argue both were told things and then that changed . O'Neil said it changed in the last week of the window . lopetegui also when speaking out said he was told things that never happened.

So can someone please tell me where that sits as for me that's our owners . Not the managers , possibly not even Hobbs if he is doing what he is told .
It's without doubt the owners.

Both Lopetegui and O'Neil were full of praise for Hobbs and deliberately pointed out that he was on the same page as them.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As usual, thin-skinned, takes offence when challenged, and resorts to ageist insults
Hahaha I think it’s you that’s thin skinned and takes offence, straight at me when I agreed with you. Very bizarre behaviour.

Also there’s no age limit on horlicks, it’s a calming drink or do I have to tell my lad he can’t drink it anymore as he’s only 15? Get over yourself

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No worries on that score, then. ;)

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hahaha I think it’s you that’s thin skinned and takes offence, straight at me when I agreed with you. Very bizarre behaviour.

Also there’s no age limit on horlicks, it’s a calming drink or do I have to tell my lad he can’t drink it anymore as he’s only 15? Get over yourself
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......................

Bigcheese

Reaction score
I find it odd that he's decided to speak out now after last week's link with Man utd.
He's had ample opportunity to since January, maybe he's emboldened by our relative safety.

Back
Top Bottom