Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

I have something to say that doesn’t require it’s own thread.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Discussing the shirt here is fine.
Right, left, party politics, snowflakes etc etc not so.
Seems like a happy healthy debate to me, I thought it was some sort of diversity thing which is of course fine and interesting to read it actually represents the 66 training kit, so actually a really positive, healthy and informative set of posts. Much better than people calling 19 year old players crap.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything sinister with Nike changing the St. George cross.

I do think there is a bit of stupidity and a touch of arrogance to it.

Mostly I think it's just what these people and companie do. They can't just leave something alone. They have to mess with it. It's just their nature. Even the words they use. How does adding colours to a symbol that has united and inspired generations for centuries increase unity and inspire even more? It's just marketing jargon. Who thinks of your typical England fan as a 'forward thinking fashionista'. It's just more jargon. If anything football fans value tradition.

We'll have it again when Wolves release the new strip.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Seems like a happy healthy debate to me, I thought it was some sort of diversity thing which is of course fine and interesting to read it actually represents the 66 training kit, so actually a really positive, healthy and informative set of posts. Much better than people calling 19 year old players crap.
And a wider discussion is welcome... if posters are actually bothered enough to have it in the politics section.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And a wider discussion is welcome... if posters are actually bothered enough to have it in the politics section.
Yet other threads with wider connotations stay in here and other football related threads get shut down.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think there is anything sinister with Nike changing the St. George cross.

I do think there is a bit of stupidity and a touch of arrogance to it.

Mostly I think it's just what these people and companie do. They can't just leave something alone. They have to mess with it. It's just their nature. Even the words they use. How does adding colours to a symbol that has united and inspired generations for centuries increase unity and inspire even more? It's just marketing jargon. Who thinks of your typical England fan as a 'forward thinking fashionista'. It's just more jargon. If anything football fans value tradition.

We'll have it again when Wolves release the new strip.
Nike being a foreign company doesn't help. There is no way that they would ever do that to the US flag.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love this. He will be a fantastic fail. Only problem is if the FA decides to go after GON as his replacement.
This would disappoint me as both a Wolves supporter and England fan.

I believe GON has earned our patience as fans and look forward to seeing him progress...

With my England hat on I'd rather have a manager who has already progressed. It's far too early for the as yet unproven and inexperienced Wolves boss.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Not a big deal like the media have made out really. It’s triggered certain people. Maybe a deliberate move to cause outrage?

Exactly this, so far this week the usual permanently outraged have had more to say on the flag and hot cross buns than actual real issues.

The real scandal is they want £125 for the shirt.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they’ve messed with the flag to take attention away from the fact the away kit is ****ing purple with “fashion” side panels. Horrendous :triumph:.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My memory is failing, but I don't remember the same outrage when they made the union Jack purple for the purple poppy memorial for animals that served the UK, but I assume the same people that have been triggered by the tribute to the 66 squad were furious, writing letters to the daily mail angry as much as now.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im certainly not Right wing by any means but why on earth have they messed with the England flag?
If its not the right colours then its meaningless
I cant imagine any other country on earth letting them do that to the national flag ,total madness
And it only took thirteen years for anyone to take offence at changing the flag colours...Screenshot_2024-03-21-21-50-46-49_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpgScreenshot_2024-03-21-21-50-46-49_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Screenshot_2024-03-22-12-28-49-95_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpgScreenshot_2024-03-22-12-28-49-95_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpgScreenshot_2024-03-22-12-36-20-00_6012fa4d4ddec268fc5c7112cbb265e7.jpg
Ladies and Gentlemen I give you the original "woke" England shirt!

St. George's crosses in an array of colours. Pink, blue, green and black all given equal billing alongside red.

The shirt came with the usual guff explanation - "in celebration of England's cultural diversity" or words to that effect...

I bought this shirt, i quite like it. I remember thinking it would be better if all the crosses were red because that's our flag...

But I wasn't offended by the different colours and had no problem with the BS explanation.

There was no war on woke back then though. No grown men having hissy fits about a colour as I recall.

Sad times we live in when so much attention is given to the most insignificant of things, while truly important matters are kept out of the headlines.
Screenshot_2024-03-22-12-28-49-95_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nike's virtue signalling "playful update" to the Saint George's cross seems to have gone down really well. One player last night in the under 21 match hid it by pulling his collar up - no doubt he'll be disciplined.
What evidence is there that Harvey Elliot was protesting?

What hideous artefact on Manchester United's collar was Eric Cantona protesting I wonder?

Maybe Elliot wanted to pop his collar. There's zero evidence to suggest otherwise.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair, you shouldn't **** with a nation's flag for any reason. Imagine Nike swapping the colours on the Stars and Stripes or reorientating the French tricolour.

What did they think they were doing? Utter nonsense from them.
There's plenty of examples of Americans changing the colours of their flag. I've seen "old glory" in all the team colours of the NFL.

Even the Police have a black and white flag with the middle stripe in blue!

I've seen camouflage flags and not just on uniforms.

And of course rainbow stars and stripes, which people have pushed back on, calling it "disrespectful" and "obscene".

The same people don't seem to complain about the Police or military flags though or flags in the colours of their favourite sports teams.

Almost as if they have an agenda!

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nope but your tag suggests you are lol
My ,memory must be worse than a lot on here,because i can remember every minute if the 66 world cup but for the life of me have no recollection of the training kit lol
Berwick is actually in England, though I'd have voted to join Scotland if possible....
Anyway, that's for another discussion.
Looking forward to the game tonight, hoping England win, but also that Gomes has a fantastic game, and also stays with us next season

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gonna be picky here. But it's totally wrong to use the term 'virtue signalling' in this regard. The flag wasn't changed for any reason that might be considered virtue signalling.
You're absolutely right. The anti-woke brigade saw a flash of light purple and panicked.

I'd guarantee if our away kit was black and had a stylised black cross on a white flag, the same people wouldn't have batted an eyelid.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Berwick is actually in England, though I'd have voted to join Scotland if possible....
Anyway, that's for another discussion.
Looking forward to the game tonight, hoping England win, but also that Gomes has a fantastic game, and also stays with us next season
Totally agree bigger things than flags to consider,just an unnecessary distraction
Hope Gomes gets some time and doesnt get injured

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not entirely sure I even know what virtue signalling genuinely means but I do know they changed it because they thought they were being clever *******s.

And they're not.
It's not the first time the colours of our flag have been changed on a kit. I don't remember this outrage back then though.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The flag design furore is a very easy target for the Joey Bartons of the world to convert into fuel for their own agenda. But it remains an incredibly facile thing for Nike to have done.

I'm torn, because anything that riles up the self-styled anti-woke into a lather of froth is typically fine by me, but messing with a flag that means a lot to many people who DON'T have an agenda was highly unnecessary.
They've not messed with the flag. They've taken an element of that flag and altered it.

When you remove a cross from the field of a flag and leave it floating without its field, it ceases to be a flag.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last time people died fighting for the English flag was prior to the Act of Union in the 17th Century.
Meanwhile the flag which to this very day, is fought for and died for, is altered all the time.

Many of will know someone KIA fighting under our banner, many of us are related to these heroes fighting for our freedoms under our banner.

I don't remember any outrage from anywhere when football clubs up and down the country we're selling their own versions of this...Screenshot_2024-03-22-23-22-58-58_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Throw some pink or purple at it though and certain people start losing their ****.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Let's be honest though, as soon as people like Lee Anderson and Joey Barton see stripes with more than two colours they think it's some sort of LGBT thing - still honouring victims of the Diocletian Purge is prominent in many minds I get that.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Supposedly the flag on the back of the collar is meant to be the English flag whereas those are design choices, similar to the TeamGB Olympic kit, a blue Union flag as a design but where the flag appears as a flag it is correct.
This is a design choice lol. The fact you're ignoring the fact the cross no longer has it's field (the white bit) speaks volumes as to your position on this.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm Welsh so don't give a toss about the English flag, it's none of my business. However, I still don't understand why this is virtue signalling? What exactly is it virtue signalling? Are the different colours supposed to represent something?
It's called paranoia and hysteria. People have looked and found something that isn't there.

OMG PURPLE AAAGGHHH!

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not a big deal like the media have made out really. It’s triggered certain people. Maybe a deliberate move to cause outrage?

For example, I think some people would feel offended if Wolves were to change the colour of the badge on their top for a season?
I hate changing the colours on the crest. To me it's sacred.

You can have different coloured wolf heads all over the shirt for all I care.

I don't care what colour the away shirt is but leave the club badge alone.

The blue and white one this year is hideous.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So its supposedly a homage to a 60 year old training kit that no one was aware of lol,give me strength
People are googling it now though I bet. I just did.

The training kit was blue, now if the six colours on the stylised cross, two of the shades are blue, so that holds some water.

Three of the colours are different shades of red, obviously the cross should be red so I don't think anyone's particularly fussed about that part...

This brings us to the least used colour in the palate - purple, and the fact it's alongside five other shades giving it a rainbow effect - I think this might be where people are having a problem lol.

It's the only explanation I can give for anyone labelling it "woke" lol.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I can see you've taken the bait, hook, line and sinker.
@Wednesbury Wolf called it virtue signalling in his earlier post but refuses to say what virtue it's actually signalling. I think he either doesn't know what virtue signalling means or just heard someone like Lee Anderson say it so thought it must be true.

I really don't understand the is fuss about and why people are so insecure about their flag on the back of the collar of a football shirt. Hand on heart, if someone changed the colour of the Welsh flag on our football shirt I wouldn't give a monkeys.

No one blinked an eye when Team GB had this on their kit in the 2012 London Olympics (or at UKIP's purple Union Jack for that matter). Are people just becoming more sensitive as time goes by, each trying to prove themselves more 'patriotic' than the other, or is social media just an outrage machine that is driving people potty it's attempt to squeeze money out of every click?

Screenshot_20240323-140526.png

Back
Top Bottom