Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Hurt

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It really hurts today, got to be honest.
And, since I am being honest, I'm a little bit angry too. I do love this team, especially after the horrible times under Lopetegui and Lage, but yesterday they, and O Neill, were poor. They did what they could, but after we scored the second goal we should have seen that out. I love Lemina, but what a shocker. O Neill made basic mistakes, why oh why did he not have Bueno on earlier with RAN staying up the field. And Shi. Fosun have been brilliant, but how on earth did he allow this squad to be so thin. We could have achieved something special. We just needed a striker in January.
I'm really ****ed off today.
But I've followed Wolves for over 50 years and I ****ing love this club and I know the players, O Neill and Shi are also feeling it today, let's hope on Monday they wake up determined to make it better.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Against Watford, we were 2-0 up and dominant until the change of tactics.

Yesterday, the dominant side deservingly won despite us looking like we’d nicked it.

I am gutted yes, but the former will always be more painful.
From what I recall - and having naturally never watched it back - the Watford game was very even and I remember being somewhat amazed that we were not only ahead, but two goals ahead. We certainly weren't dominating the play.

Their midfield was too athletic for Neves and Moutinho on the day and it was really Jota having a blinder that was letting us hurt them. In the final 15 minutes they went at us full pelt and absolutely overwhelmed us.

It was sickening to be 2-0 up with 12 minutes left and not to get through but Watford performed better overall.

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The Watford game is the worst I’ve felt as we could have genuinely beat City in the final - we had enough to.

Yesterday is bitterly disappointing, but truth be told, we don’t have the squad for the Semi Final, let alone the rest of the season.

Big summer ahead.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And, since I am being honest, I'm a little bit angry too. I do love this team, especially after the horrible times under Lopetegui and Lage, but yesterday they, and O Neill, were poor. They did what they could, but after we scored the second goal we should have seen that out. I love Lemina, but what a shocker. O Neill made basic mistakes, why oh why did he not have Bueno on earlier with RAN staying up the field. And Shi. Fosun have been brilliant, but how on earth did he allow this squad to be so thin. We could have achieved something special. We just needed a striker in January.
But I've followed Wolves for over 50 years and I ****ing love this club and I know the players, O Neill and Shi are also feeling it today, let's hope on Monday they wake up determined to make it better.
I agree most of this. Shi feeling it l'm not so sure. As long as we stay on the PL gravy train l don't think that he gives a toss.

hankin

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Watford was the worst I have ever felt supporting Wolves, and I watched all the rubbish, home and away, in the Bhatti era ( and yes, i did all 3 Chorley games). Today was damn well ****ing annoying, but nothing, absolutely nothing, was worse than Watford. I remember as soon as they equalised I had my head in my hands, slunk in my seat up in that top tier at Wembley for the whole of extra time knowing they would go on and win it.

Losing to Seville felt worse than today as that was a chance to get to a European Semi Final.

Its just that today, just like Watford, we did the hard work (Watford), got out of jail (Coventry)… then absolutely kicked ourselves in the knackers.

I swear someone upstairs is pulling the strings that all Wolves fans must suffer pain like this.

Whats that old saying… ‘always the Bridesmaid…’
I agree with this, except for me nothing for me was worse than the choke of 2002 which felt like a slow death over 2 months. That equipped me to be more equanimous and laid back in my approach to football so I could shrug off the Watford calamity, and indeed yesterday easier. I was telling my son this driving back from the match yesterday who was beside himself.

Thank you Sir Jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yesterday's result hurts a lot, and we all deal with it in different ways. Some come on here to moan. I tend to ignore the outcome, and try and pretend that it didn't happen (particularly in the manner that it did). Unfortunately, the Sunday papers haven't joined in my attempt at self deception.

colincameron

Reaction score
That Watford semi final was worse. Just thought we had an outside chance of winning it if we’d made it to the final. And to be that close to being in a final in my lifetime.
We'd already beaten city twice that season hadn't we? Yup, we would've had chance in that game. Psychologically we had them. Watford had zero chance. A stroll in the end 6-0 if I remember rightly. What could've been ay.

Last edited:

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'd already beaten city twice that season hasn't we? Yup, we would've had chance in that game. Psychologically we had them. Watford had zero chance. A stroll in the end 6-0 if I remember rightly. What could've been ay.
The wins against City were in the following season.

That season we drew 1-1 at home (Boly handball goal) and lost 0-3 at their place (after Boly was sent off).

Reaction score
Crystal Place first leg of the play offs, 2-0 down we score for 2-1, then Dougie ****ing Freeman scored to make it 3-1, knowing then that the return leg at Molineux would be an uphill battle. That still Hurts!! Aldershot still hurts, Torquay still hurts after missing the Sherpa Van final the year before due to a school ****ing trip to France!!!

Last edited:

Brian Law’s buses

Reaction score
Crystal Place's first leg of the playoffs, 2-0 down, we scored for 2-1, then Dougie ****ing Freeman scored to make it 3-1, knowing then that the return leg at Molineux would be an uphill battle. That still Hurts!! Aldershot still hurts, and Torquay still hurts after missing the Sherpa Van final the year before due to a school trip to France!!!
Jamie Smith with a late goal, only for Dougie to go to the other end and score, sad/long drive back. Torquay, a bit like yesterday, went with an expectancy of a win and didn’t turn up; always recall the handful of away fans in the John Ireland upper, south back end.
The Bolton playoff away is the rawest I have ever felt; it lasted weeks/ years.
Numb from yesterday, but we were poor.

Reaction score
Jamie Smith with a late goal, only for Dougie to go to the other end and score, sad/long drive back. Torquay, a bit like yesterday, went with an expectancy of a win and didn’t turn up; always recall the handful of away fans in the John Ireland upper, south back end.
I thought it was Jamie Smith but wasn't 100% certain.

Spitfire

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’d agree, the biggest punch to the guts was the Bolton playoff, simply because of the importance of missing promotion and how far it set us back.

Wellington Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Yesterday was more Torquay than Watford.
Torquay scarred me and set me up for the life of a Wolves fan. (I told a Cov supporting work fan this week that it would be proper Wolves for them to beat us.)

Back to Torquay. Would have gone to Sherpa final as an excited 10 year old, but my mum had booked a holiday to Devon so missed it.

My dad promised me that day we'd go to the next final. Went to that semi final excited and expectant. Nothing now hurts more.

Although yesterday really stung

Wellington Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Bolton was bad. Can still see the punch on David Kelly that was missed. We won that and we were Blackburn. Sliding doors moment for us

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
I’d agree, the biggest punch to the guts was the Bolton playoff, simply because of the importance of missing promotion and how far it set us back.

Yeah. Bolton and Watford are by far the two worst (although Aldershot was the first time I saw my Dad genuinely heartbroken by Wolves).

For pure raw emotion and heartache, Watford was awful. Made worse by my personal circumstances of having Watford supporting in-laws and friends. The only time I’ve not been able to sleep after a game and felt genuinely numb for quite a few days (it probably took me until they got hammered 6-0 in the Final and we were confirmed as qualifying for Europe to get over it - which is ridiculous really).

Bolton was more the timing. If we’d have gone up then, we would have been one of the bigger spenders in the Premier League and could have had a similar impact to Blackburn and Newcastle in those mid 1990’s seasons. That and realising it was Bully’s last real chance of playing in the top flight with us.

Yesterday hurt massively but nothing in comparison to those two. In fact, I already feel ok enough about it to wish Coventry every success in the semi against United…

…a semi which I would have fancied us to win…

…aaaarrrrggggghhhh!

;)

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The most recent cut is the deepest.
I still feel uncomfortably numb.
Will take a while to get over yesterday.
Still can´t believe those last couple of minutes really happened..

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah. Bolton and Watford are by far the two worst (although Aldershot was the first time I saw my Dad genuinely heartbroken by Wolves).

For pure raw emotion and heartache, Watford was awful. Made worse by my personal circumstances of having Watford supporting in-laws and friends. The only time I’ve not been able to sleep after a game and felt genuinely numb for quite a few days (it probably took me until they got hammered 6-0 in the Final and we were confirmed as qualifying for Europe to get over it - which is ridiculous really).

Bolton was more the timing. If we’d have gone up then, we would have been one of the bigger spenders in the Premier League and could have had a similar impact to Blackburn and Newcastle in those mid 1990’s seasons. That and realising it was Bully’s last real chance of playing in the top flight with us.

Yesterday hurt massively but nothing in comparison to those two. In fact, I already feel ok enough about it to wish Coventry every success in the semi against United…

…a semi which I would have fancied us to win…

…aaaarrrrggggghhhh!

;)
Exactly how I feel. That Watford game destroyed me. And them getting hammered 6-0 at Wembley (on a miserable dull cloudy day!) with us pipping them to Europe did help…. But certainly did not cancel the pain out.

But I was totally distraught. Back in the 80s, us getting to an FA Cup Final was more than pure fantasy as we were going down the divisions. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think back then (as a teenager) that I would see Wolves in an FA Cup Final. In fact, back in the mid/late 80s getting to Round Three was an achievement.

And to think we had that semi final won….

Oh jeez, think I need the tablets again…..

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what I recall - and having naturally never watched it back - the Watford game was very even and I remember being somewhat amazed that we were not only ahead, but two goals ahead. We certainly weren't dominating the play.

Their midfield was too athletic for Neves and Moutinho on the day and it was really Jota having a blinder that was letting us hurt them. In the final 15 minutes they went at us full pelt and absolutely overwhelmed us.

It was sickening to be 2-0 up with 12 minutes left and not to get through but Watford performed better overall.
You remember correctly. Become a bit of a myth that we were strolling to victory and dominating. We didn’t play well at all. Jota was on fire that day, taking him off was a poor move.

I was at Bolton (another day where a **** poor performance has been almost completely overlooked because of John McGinlay) and Watford was worse for me.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Peter Shilton getting off his mobility scooter to have the game of his life in that home match, unbelievable.
Genuinely one of the best performances iv ever seen in the home leg. Should have been 4 or 5 up.
McAteer miss hit one into the top corner, Shilton had an unbelievable game, and then we absolutely **** ourselves at Burnden Park.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
You remember correctly. Become a bit of a myth that we were strolling to victory and dominating. We didn’t play well at all. Jota was on fire that day, taking him off was a poor move.

I was at Bolton (another day where a **** poor performance has been almost completely overlooked because of John McGinlay) and Watford was worse for me.
We **** ourselves away at Bolton, I’ve never got over that game

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same. Numb on Saturday, feel angry, upset, ashamed and jealous today. Watching my Chelsea supporting extended family celebrating today hasn't helped one bit.

Not like I haven't felt like this - and much worse - over the last 35 years watching Wolves but still doesn't make it any easier

Last edited:

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
We **** ourselves away at Bolton, I’ve never got over that game
It's odd because when I look back on it, it felt like we never had a chance once we went behind, even though one goal would have taken it to pens. We'd so totally destroyed them at Molineux, and then just had nothing at Burnden Park.

I think it's the worst experience for me, although much as it hurt to be missing out again on the dream of the top flight, it was really seeing Bully sitting on the pitch, looking like he knew he'd never take us there that was the real killer.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
So who remembers Ryan Bennett at Bristol.. Moutinho at Manure.. Cardiff missing those penalties.. The 4-3 comeback v Leicester... Iwan Roberts v the ****... Don Goodman/Hans Segers v Leeds in a Cup QF no less. To appreciate the good times you've got to sit through the bad as well. In the grand scheme, yesterday was just a blip. We're not the first and won't be the last team to get dumped out of the cup by a lower div side and at least there's no feelings of injustice. We were depleted and we had a shocker. Fair play to Cov, they took advantage and why wouldn't they?

We've already exceeded expectations for the season and we've beat the **** on their own patch for good measure. Although it's disappointing and an opportunity missed, I don't see myself reciting this one to a counsellor in 5 years time.

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Before the wild ride that is to date "the Fosun years" just beating one of the Sky 6 once in a while, most likely in a cup, when all the stars aligned, was the most I hoped for. Now we regularly beat some of them, even in a season like this one, doubles over Spurs and Chelsea. The club has achieved a level of Premier League success which makes us a tricky opponent for the top teams. But we are still short of competing for the top prizes. I feel there's pride back in the club and more to aim for

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Watching Liverpool go out as their children cried in the stands - knowing that millions more are crying in their living rooms - has surely made me smile again.
Laughing at children cry? what an oddball

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think the consolation is that we would have lost against man poo at wembley, they were great yesterday . We have played poorly in the last 3 rounds so maybe don’t really deserve it.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is it for me really. If we'd have lost two or three nil - as we probably deserved to - I'd be angry and disappointed at the performance, but I'd get over it. To get out of jail the way we did and then to show the naivety and arrogance to not just batten down the hatches, shut up shop and admit we'd got away with murder, I'm struggling to get over that

This might not hurt as much as the semi five years ago, but this was far more of a throw away. After that semi we lost, then had a break and finished strongly to end up 7th, we need a strong finish from this side (and they deserve one to be fair, they don't deserve for the season to fizzle out after the efforts they've put in)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom