Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Coventry Verdict

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
What has annoyed me the most about the game is the way we conceded the last two goals. Both down the same side, both via for me poor defending mainly from either cb. 2nd Bueno went walk abouts and 3rd Kilman just stood and let him curl it round. Like others have said with Dawson these may have been stopped. For me though these are basics of defending.

As a team we seem to concede late goals alot. Even when winning games. The other team gets a consolation, example last week. It does need looking at. For me after todays result the season is basically done. Were safe, no cup run now. Might aswell blood the young players.

Last edited:

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Totally on the board. Yes we didn't play well and cov deserved it but these players have to play every game and will do moving forward. Just a striker and forward on loan. An actual pro, that was all. We wouldn't be in this situation but this is what penny pinching gets you

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve calmed down a bit so am able to praise Coventry now. They were fantastic today, written off by us since the draw and looked like the PL team on the pitch. Spurned some glorious chances and caused us problems whenever they went forward and had some very clever attacking players supporting Simms.

Bullyboy

Groupie
Reaction score
Why oh why did GON persevere with Mario on the left. Time and again they burst through the middle. At least near the end he moved him. Too little too late. However a top half Premier league side being 2-1 up with 3 mins to go should be able to see the game out.
Sorry GON wrong to risk Neto last week and wrong again this with the tactics.
Absolutely gutted.

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Deserved win by Coventry who were great in my opinion. On this display certainly they're much better than the likes of Sheffield United or Burnley. It was their great day and they lived up to it. Fair play and I hope they'll ruffle a few feathers of the usual suspects in the semis.

Injuries hit us hard, we were without our first choice top three and the defense had their off day. Doherty would struggle in Polish Ekstraklasa, never mind the Premier League or last 8 of the FA Cup.

MOM Sa which speaks volumes. He was great. RAN not too far behind, he almost won it for us on his own.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Struggle to think of a way a game could pan out that would give me a more miserable feeling than this one has. Watford mark II.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Abject from start to finish.

Our best move, maybe our single outstanding move in the entire match, for the second goal, started as a counter attack inside our own half. Other than that, against a reasonably organised team, we looked as clueless as usual against that way of playing.

HAd a feeling we'd used up a big chunk of luck not being 2-0 down to Fulham at HT last week. First half performance as abject as todays, and a first half we've seen many times. One shot on target. And that was even with Neto/Hwang/Cunha fit. Would assume COventry knew how we play, knew our weaknesses.

What I'm getting at is that I don't think we are inconsistent. We consistently struggle to break defensive teams down, while consistently punishing teams who are open and commit forward. Most of us knew today would be a struggle because of that.

I still think we had enough in the squad to win, that tactically we set out wrong and also tend to manage the end of games badly. Luck gets us through some weeks, but not others. Both last week and this, a goal ahead going into injury time and we have lost our structure and seem more keen to put some gloss on by scoring another, than grinding out the result.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
I’ve calmed down a bit so am able to praise Coventry now. They were fantastic today, written off by us since the draw and looked like the PL team on the pitch. Spurned some glorious chances and caused us problems whenever they went forward and had some very clever attacking players supporting Simms.
Yeah I've had to calm down and bite my tongue on here but they deserved it and clearly wanted it more.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very intelligent, competent, dangerous. Thought they were excellent throughout and would have been a travesty to go out.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
The club really did let O’Neil down in Jan. The players let themselves and us down big time today.
Clear for all to see that we need a lot of depth added this summer. If GON had more senior options, things could have been different today. But this will be a lesson and I think the manager and players can learn from it.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A great end to end cup tie that we just came out the wrong side of.

Can’t fault the effort of the lads but it was a cruel ending in what has so far been a superb season for us.

What effort??? Most of them were shocking!

Out run and showed a massive lack of bottle and heart today compared to a championship team!

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
Very intelligent, competent, dangerous. Thought they were excellent throughout and would have been a travesty to go out.
Their manager is clearly experienced and has good squad depth. Think some bottom half prem sides must be eyeing him up, surely? Having said that I know **** all about him or Cov, so...

SquaddieWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m still in disbelief, Cov should have had 4 or 5 in fairness but to go 2-1 up with only minutes left to then lose ….I’m numb, as painful as the Watford defeat. What an opportunity missed.
Somehow need to try and avoid anything football related for a while, my love of the FA Cup died today, too many heartbreaks in this competition.
Almost as disappointing as when you were killed off screen between Aliens and Alien 3 you deserved so much more mate

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my work colleagues had Wolves to win in his acca. I told him it’s a very risky choice betting on us against lower league opposition or teams we are expected to beat. Needless to say I got a whole heap of swear words sent to me as it has ruined his weekend bet already.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
First of all congratulations to Coventry fully deserved.

However as undeserved as it was to be 2 -1 we have to be professional, game management and see the game out.

No excuses about injuries we have PL players. Same players more or less won last week. It was a poor performance and lacked any quality apart from RAN.

Got to take it on the chin. 2 week break to recharge. Difficult to process at the moment but this is part of being so emotionally charged to your team.

It's the Wolves way..

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
Didn’t wake up until they scored and didn’t deserve to win but conceding those two goals at the end was criminal. Defenders looking flat footed and awkward all game. Whatever we say about strikers missing look at how many shots they had. We were hopeless at defending as a team.

WorcesterWanderer

Reaction score
First of all congratulations to Coventry fully deserved.

However as undeserved as it was to be 2 -1 we have to be professional, game management and see the game out.

No excuses about injuries we have PL players. Same players more or less won last week. It was a poor performance and lacked any quality apart from RAN.

Got to take it on the chin. 2 week break to recharge. Difficult to process at the moment but this is part of being so emotionally charged to your team.

It's the Wolves way..
Oh I get the last part 100%. I was so excited to watch that game, so invested while watching it as well. Haven't jumped around so much in ages. Sod's law it was the one time my Mrs decided to watch us with me- but she was getting into it so I hope that continues!

Wouldn't have it any other way, we'll bounce back.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The club really did let O’Neil down in Jan. The players let themselves and us down big time today.
From GON today:

"I knew it would be tough as it was. We have one fit senior attacker fit at the club which is Pablo Sarabia, we used Rayan and we used Mario higher but then we lose them lower."

He is a ****ed as many of us at Fosun I’m sure, but is professional enough not to show it.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Our best move, maybe our single outstanding move in the entire match, for the second goal, started as a counter attack inside our own half. Other than that, against a reasonably organised team, we looked as clueless as usual against that way of playing.

HAd a feeling we'd used up a big chunk of luck not being 2-0 down to Fulham at HT last week. First half performance as abject as todays, and a first half we've seen many times. One shot on target. And that was even with Neto/Hwang/Cunha fit. Would assume COventry knew how we play, knew our weaknesses.

What I'm getting at is that I don't think we are inconsistent. We consistently struggle to break defensive teams down, while consistently punishing teams who are open and commit forward. Most of us knew today would be a struggle because of that.

I still think we had enough in the squad to win, that tactically we set out wrong and also tend to manage the end of games badly. Luck gets us through some weeks, but not others. Both last week and this, a goal ahead going into injury time and we have lost our structure and seem more keen to put some gloss on by scoring another, than grinding out the result.
So we are consistent then?

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just hope that result, starting 11, subs bench, supporters disappointment, paper thin squad and missed opportunity will finally give Jeff and Fosun the kick in the ***** they bloody well need!

Last edited:

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my work colleagues had Wolves to win in his acca. I told him it’s a very risky choice betting on us against lower league opposition or teams we are expected to beat. Needless to say I got a whole heap of swear words sent to me as it has ruined his weekend bet already.
I put £50 on Cov to qualify when we were 2-1 up, to me it was inevitable with the stoppage time.

Won £1k..!

EDIT: 100 percent would prefer not to have won

RE- EDIT: ok 99 percent

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From GON today:

"I knew it would be tough as it was. We have one fit senior attacker fit at the club which is Pablo Sarabia, we used Rayan and we used Mario higher but then we lose them lower."

He is a ****ed as many of us at Fosun I’m sure, but is professional enough not to show it.
Isn't it even worse now v vile as he's suspended.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feel weirdly apathetic after that. Ultimately got what we deserved.

With a full strength squad, we are a proper decent team. Take out Dawson, our defensive leader, plus Cunha and Neto, our star quality, plus Hwang, our goal scorer, and we are so threadbare it’s frankly embarrassing for a premier league squad.

The last few years have come home to roost today. Fabio Silva, Guedes, Kaladjic, absolute criminal waste of money which has crippled us and ultimately led to today.

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
Too much emphasis on fancy footwork close backpassing, going backwards. How many more?
Almost every pass behind the player. Long though balls way off target. Not to be able to defend an undeserved lead for a few minutes and a semi place is diabolical.
To be honest it only took Coventry 10 minutes to realise that Wolves had got **** all .
Of that total performance in all today that team should be ashamed and say so to their fans.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did not watch but we was not at the races from what I read

Did well to go ahead but choke like that is horror story stuff

Sounds like the occasion got to us

Season over, beach towels out. Wrap up the players in cotton wool.

Damaged limitation against vile?! Without Dawson Neto Cunha and Hwang we are toothless

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are a proper football club, with decent fans imo. They have come back from the brink, so good luck to them.

Mark Robins is doing a great job with limited resources and deserves plenty of credit.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dreadful absolutely dreadful. Apart from Ait-Nouri and Sa absolutely useless. Injuries will be the excuse but they out muscled us much of the time and simply played better than us. Apart from the period when we un- deservedly got the two goals the team looked dozy and no real leadership from Kilman at the back.. He is too tame, too quiet a personality to be a captain. We badly missed the nous and grit of Dawson .
But the real blame lies with the board. Before FFS issues made money tight we had several opportunities to sign a quality striker and failed again and again.Having to play a novice18 year old and 19 year old as your central striker says it all. £77 million wasted on Silva, Guedes and Kaladjic.
Why Ait-Nouri wasn 't played as an out and out winger from the outset only GON knows. And why Doyle was playing so deep when.he has such a shot on him only the manager knows. But the truth is he never got the striker he craved and that is the main reason we failed today to possibly get to an FA cup final for the first time since 1960. What a shambolic waste.
Felt sorry for Fraser who was left totally isolated with zero service. But he shouldn't even be on the bench in a properly balanced squad.

Leemack

Reaction score
Just got home from the Mol. Well RAN and Sa the better players but everyone else was off it. They played well and Simms is a premier league player dossing in the championship for a bit lol. I am too gutted to analyse anything other than that gut wrenching inability to think straight after seeing those 2 goals go in late on.

Ruined the weekend so bought loads of beer to sit and watch the evening game. FFS Wolves.

Back
Top Bottom