Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The FA Cup Quarter Finals

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course we can't take this for granted, and yes we've got injuries, and yes it's the Cup and strange things happen. But I can't believe how many people are making out that a middling Championship team are actually any good!!

Not sure anyone is really. The truth of it is that if we play anywhere near our capabilities then we win the game relatively comfortably. But if we're off it then yes it's hardly beyond the wit of a man to foresee us not winning. But we all know that every single one of us would have picked this exact tie and venue.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So up next a big weekend, what do we want / fancy?

Game on.

Wolves 3 v 1 Coventry

Man City 1 v 1 Newcastle AET ( Newcastle win on pens)

Chelsea 1 v 2 Leicester

Man U 2 v 1 Liverpool

Come on me babbies.
Aren't we more likely to beat Man City than Newcastle?
And arguably more likely to beat Chelsea then Leicester?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coventry will be well up for it and have a very capable manager in Robins (don’t know how he’s not had a go in the prem as yet). In Simms and Wright they’ve got some goals in them so it won’t be easy with us having the forwards out we do. I think a nervy 1-0 with Sarabia showing some quality will be the order of the day.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Aren't we more likely to beat Man City than Newcastle?

No chance. To beat Man City you need so many things to go right. And no doubt Guardiola will have realised how we beat them in September. Plus lets not forget they didn't have De Bruyne in that game.

I refuse to believe there's a football fan in the country who'd rather play them than Newcastle.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No chance. To beat Man City you need so many things to go right. And no doubt Guardiola will have realised how we beat them in September. Plus lets not forget they didn't have De Bruyne in that game.

I refuse to believe there's a football fan in the country who'd rather play them than Newcastle.
Exactly this for me. Plus the big Wembley pitch really helps them play their passing game.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly this for me. Plus the big Wembley pitch really helps them play their passing game.

And they turn up so often when it matters. I'd give us a 1 in 5 chance of beating them at best. Whereas Newcastle is who plays better on the day. And you'd also hope that O'Neil would see where we went wrong in the game last weekend and deploy the antidote. Every one of the remaining sides fans will be hoping Newcastle somehow find a way past Man City.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You need midfielders that break up play and have bags of pace on the break. Things we have in abundance.
When was the last time we beat Newcastle?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And they turn up so often when it matters. I'd give us a 1 in 5 chance of beating them at best. Whereas Newcastle is who plays better on the day. And you'd also hope that O'Neil would see where we went wrong in the game last weekend and deploy the antidote. Every one of the remaining sides fans will be hoping Newcastle somehow find a way past Man City.
Yep there’s a 23 point gap between them in the league for a reason!

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blackburn are 18th. They were recently battered by the Albion, lost to Blues and haven't won in weeks - yet they gave Newcastle an almighty game in the last round.

One off cup games are a completely different animal

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Should we get past Coventry I see us having a chance against either of Leicester, Chelsea, Newcastle, Man U.
Liverpool or City would be very difficult......but you never know in the cup.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You need midfielders that break up play and have bags of pace on the break. Things we have in abundance.
When was the last time we beat Newcastle?

I agree, but there's a very good reason why they're treble winners, because they find a way of bypassing and nullifying other sides threats far, far more often than not.

We beat Newcastle in 2021, but we almost always have very tight games with them. Haven't we drawn something like 10 out of 14 fixtures? Whereas we've had some serious hidings from Man City in recent times.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Utd will win, home advantage will be a big thing for sure. Plus they’d love to knock old horse teeth out the last fa cup he’s in charge of.

Me too. And Man Utd are nowhere near as poor as the media rhetoric suggests. I can see a 2-1 MU win in that one.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, but there's a very good reason why they're treble winners, because they find a way of bypassing and nullifying other sides threats far, far more often than not.

We beat Newcastle in 2021, but we almost always have very tight games with them. Haven't we drawn something like 10 out of 14 fixtures? Whereas we've had some serious hidings from Man City in recent times.
1-1 innit usually? Which means extra time and penaltys. Imagine going to Wembley only for them ****ers to knock us out on penalties.
Honestly they are my least favoured team out of those left to play. I'm still worried about beating Coventry!

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Me too. And Man Utd are nowhere near as poor as the media rhetoric suggests. I can see a 2-1 MU win in that one.
They are pretty desperate by their own recent standards.

They can certainly beat Liverpool at home though.

I know I've said elsewhere I would like Lesta, but the opportunity to beat Manure in the semi after having been so close earlier on in the season, would be sweet AF.

Just not Citeh or Liverpool please as I don't think we can beat them.

That is allowing for the fact that we can beat a very tough Coventry team.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coventry will be a lot tougher than people think, they will be well up for it.

Hoping of course we progress, I would be happy with anyone in the Semi Final except Man City or Liverpool.
so basically you want chelsea or leicester?!

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure anyone is really. The truth of it is that if we play anywhere near our capabilities then we win the game relatively comfortably. But if we're off it then yes it's hardly beyond the wit of a man to foresee us not winning. But we all know that every single one of us would have picked this exact tie and venue.
but we will possibly have hwang/Cunha/Neto/Bellegarde all out injured. that levels things up quite a bit

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
1-1 innit usually? Which means extra time and penaltys. Imagine going to Wembley only for them ****ers to knock us out on penalties.
Honestly they are my least favoured team out of those left to play. I'm still worried about beating Coventry!
I have been to 5 cup semi finals and we lost all of them. if we qualify I am not optimistic about this year

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How close we came to hosting Big George's Maidstone.
It would be nice to do one over their victors for the big fella. :)

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Of course we can't take this for granted, and yes we've got injuries, and yes it's the Cup and strange things happen. But I can't believe how many people are making out that a middling Championship team are actually any good!!
Middling Championship sides can get surprisingly good results in the cup.

Albion held us to 2-0 after all.

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I agree every team in the world needs luck to be on side to beat Manchester City when they are in full flow, its felt like they haven't been as good this year but they still have 8 or 9 match winners in the squad even "average" (although world class) city players like Grealish,Silva, Alvarez can still single handedly win games.

You mention De Bryne who was missing when we beat them but I also don't think they had Rodri who nulifys alot of counter attacks which limits any teams game plan.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I'm thinking Elland Road, Don Goodman...
Yes I actually keep thinking of that one - quite similar I'd say in terms of league status at the time.

We should have more than enough, and I don't think this team will allow complacency to beat us. But - it's the Cup, you never know!

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wembley is the same length as Molineux but 1mtr wider !!
We have the same size pitch as most teams, and the ones that are different tend to be smaller, Forest have a very wide pitch though interestingly

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
so basically you want chelsea or leicester?!
No. I would be content with Man Utd, Leicester, Chelsea or Newcastle. I just dont fancy Liverpool or Man City if they progress. That, of course, is only If we progress too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom