Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Fraser

UEAwolf

Reaction score
Did ok - and at least he kept both centre backs occupied. I'd have liked to have seen Chiwome come on with 20 -25 mins to go - thought he was at one point.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get players around him and dont leave him isolated and he will be fine. Said on another thread but have him as the focal point against Coventry with Lemina playing an attacking central midfield role and Sarabia and RAN supporting with Doyle and Gomes in central midfield.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't want to make excuses for him like many did for Fabio for years with the "we don't create enough chances for him", "he's still only 21" etc.

I do think he lacks pace, but at the same time, with his back to goal, he can more than hold his own. His movement is good, he's linking up well at times, the pull back that led to the second goal was absolutely the right decision. He's still very raw, having just turned 19, but I do see a lot of promise there.

In GON's preferred system, with a dynamic counter-attacking front three, he's not a great fit, but it's the same problem that Sasa and Silva had, who both struggle for pace. Sometimes you have to adapt your system to get more out of the players at your disposal, which GON has done well this season. The change to a 4-2-3-1 today was probably designed to get more numbers around Fraser, but quickly had to change after Bellegarde's injury.

"Strikers" that have done well in our back five system in recent years - Jimenez, Jota, Cunha, often created their own chances rather than having them set up for them. This season I think you could argue that Hwang has been the beneficiary of better chance creation with Neto, Sarabia and Cunha supplying, but that's only possible if you can keep up with them.

BORN A WOLF

Reaction score
I thought he did verry well, full off running, eager and worked verry hard. Could not of asked any more of him.

Unfortunately because of our style of play means he got poor service against Fullham.

Like the fact that we have another prong in our attack not just everything going via the wings.
It will take more work on the training ground to fine tune our midfeilders to find him early.
Been a while since we had a true CF running those central tracks.
often we get pinned back as wer looking for a way out on the wings, so we back and forth across our back line.
And thats fair enough I most certainly don't want us to become a big boot team. Just occasionally would like to see one of our central defenders try that Neves style early pass.
May be worth the effort..a dozen or so games left to play and the walking wounded list grows.

Frazer will grow with every game he gets.

Last edited:

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Worked very hard yesterday and is obviously going to get more chances between now and the end of the season, due to our mounting injuries. Think he had one chance that the keeper smothered, but other than that, little end-product, although he worked the Flum centre defenders.
More to come.

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His lack of pace is the only thing that will hold him back. Worked his socks off, put himself about but also made some very clever runs in behind. I have no issue with him filling in. This is what backups are for.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His lack of pace is the only thing that will hold him back. Worked his socks off, put himself about but also made some very clever runs in behind. I have no issue with him filling in. This is what backups are for.
I think that’s the issue, at PL level he’s just isn’t quick enough. Good luck to the lad though, hope he proves me wrong!

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointing that on a few occasions his teammates didn’t seem to trust giving him the ball. In particular Sarabia should have put him in second half but didn’t then ended up giving the ball away.

I am glade it's not just me that thought that. There were a couple of times where he should have received a pass and players chose a different option. Cuhna would have been given those passes in the same situations - I think you are right, there is a lack of trust at the moment. The kid only gets the ball if he can make an opportunity himself, and he just doesn't have the pace unfortunately.

It's like a 5th former being allowed to play with the upper six, they have to earn the trust of the team!

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He motioned for the pass and ait nouri and sarabia chose different options. Occupied defenders and worked hard but lacking pace at this level.

Rowzed

Reaction score
I think that’s the issue, at PL level he’s just isn’t quick enough. Good luck to the lad though, hope he proves me wrong!
Plenty of strikers aren’t quick, if they are strong and confident it’s enough. Both qualities will come with physical and emotional maturation over 3 years - he’s still a kid.
Kane isn’t quick.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plenty of strikers aren’t quick, if they are strong and confident it’s enough. Both qualities will come with physical and emotional maturation over 3 years - he’s still a kid.
Kane isn’t quick.
Most important for me he showed he knows when to run in behind, when to cut it back and he can hold the ball up and press well too. Give him time and he'll really blossom in this squad.

He has some great support around him here at wolves and I'd rather he develop with our squad than send him on loan and risk him sitting on some league 1 bench like half of our other youth loanees.

Wolf of Wall Heath

Reaction score
Pace isn’t a requirement if you are strong and clever.

In fact what does pace get you other than shot up hammies?!
It gets you onto the end of passes, that aren’t to feet, before the opposition.

I thought he was busy and kept Fulham reasonably occupied but the fact that he isn’t blessed with pace is a real challenge for him especially on the few occasions sarabia and Neto got to the by line and put a low ball across the box. He wasn’t fast enough to get there and didn’t gamble on the ball either. In fact I think Neto was trying to explain exactly that to him at one point.

That said he’s only young. A quick brain and good anticipation can mitigate a lack of pace to an extent. Hope he does well for us as it looks like he might get an extended run at this rate.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pace isn’t a requirement if you are strong and clever.

In fact what does pace get you other than shot up hammies?!
Exactly you don’t see Sarabia getting injured much. Time to tell Pedro to slow down his load

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Kane isn’t quick.
Kane is quicker than you’d think - at his peak 35kmh compared to very top speedsters who are close to 37kmh.

Going back a bit but think someone like Sheringham would be a model to follow for someone looking to be successful up front at the top level but lacking pace.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think he did well, all things considering. Thought he was better second half but doesn't look all that quick.

Could have been that he was absolute knackered as he did a **** load of running but looked like he was running through treacle at what point.

Did really well for the 2nd goal and was unlucky with his effort when in on goal.

Axle

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kane is quicker than you’d think - at his peak 35kmh compared to very top speedsters who are close to 37kmh.

Going back a bit but think someone like Sheringham would be a model to follow for someone looking to be successful up front at the top level but lacking pace.
Sheringham was technically the best English player of his era and would be a great model for Fraser to follow.

I wonder though did Sheringham need an out and out striker to play alongside? He had Cascarino at Milwall, Clough at Forest, Klinsmann at Spurs and Yorke at Manure.

Perhaps he is more of a forward in the older vein? Which will no doubt come back into fashion when Pep decrees it as so

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I was going to put the same, Kane isn’t slow at all. In fact he’s got a really powerful turn of pace over the first 10 yards which is what good forwards have.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fraser (for me) is doing exactly what I’d expect from a player of his age and experience. Some good, some average and some poor. He’s not ready for this league, hence why he was lined up to go on loan in League One.

He’s been chucked in at the deep end and it’s very much “sink or swim” for him. I think it’ll either aid his development massively or stall him a bit depending on his mentality. Though at his age the latter isn’t a huge concern.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Given he's just turned 19, I'd say he's still got a some physical development/tuning to do and will get quicker.
He already looks a proper unit. Should grow into his body more. In a couple years he's going to leave some bruises on defenders having to tussle with him all game at the very least.

Agree he's not exactly explosive. Still though... 6'2" with that frame and he's already got the endurance to press like that for over a half? I would say he definitely has a premier league ceiling. It's pretty easy to see how he can fit in as a useful piece if his development doesn't stall.

Seriously, he looks like he could have played rugby with a different diet and focus. Big lad.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He motioned for the pass and ait nouri and sarabia chose different options. Occupied defenders and worked hard but lacking pace at this level.

Will he become quicker / sharper I wonder ?

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Needs some coaching on his running style to help him out on the pitch. Massively shorten his stride for his first few steps and lengthen them as he runs, this will help him get off the mark quicker which in most cases what you need.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought he was busy and kept Fulham reasonably occupied but the fact that he isn’t blessed with pace is a real challenge for him especially on the few occasions sarabia and Neto got to the by line and put a low ball across the box. He wasn’t fast enough to get there and didn’t gamble on the ball either. In fact I think Neto was trying to explain exactly that to him at one point.
The problem was he attacked the wrong areas on the two occasions i remember. He went front post for Netos cross from the right when he should have attacked between the defenders, then the next time which was from the left he attacked the middle when the front post run would have been better.

With more experience hopefully that will improve.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm sure he's getting excellent coaching and working with top players every day helps, I really hope he makes it.

#oneofourown

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Needs some coaching on his running style to help him out on the pitch. Massively shorten his stride for his first few steps and lengthen them as he runs, this will help him get off the mark quicker which in most cases what you need.
Exactly this, he might get a little quicker with age but regardless, he needs to be quick over the first 10 yards so he can get into positions where he can use his strength. As it stands he’s got, this is going to sound harsh, the pace of Neves and Mouts. I’m convinced it’s why we went with a 4231 formation to start with so we could get players around him knowing he didn’t have the turn of pace to play in a more isolated role.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The problem was he attacked the wrong areas on the two occasions i remember. He went front post for Netos cross from the right when he should have attacked between the defenders, then the next time which was from the left he attacked the middle when the front post run would have been better.

With more experience hopefully that will improve.
This is fair but he also made a couple of good runs, one when he got a shot off and another in the build up to Semedos deflected goal.
I agree with people it's a bit soon for him and would have been better if he could have gone out on loan. However a little run in the team might help him progress quicker, playing with better players around him plus our style this season gives our front players more opportunities, don't think there's too much pressure on him.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is fair but he also made a couple of good runs, one when he got a shot off and another in the build up to Semedos deflected goal.
I agree with people it's a bit soon for him and would have been better if he could have gone out on loan. However a little run in the team might help him progress quicker, playing with better players around him plus our style this season gives our front players more opportunities, don't think there's too much pressure on him.
Agreed, I thought he occupied their CBs well, had a few shots and was involved in a goal too. Certainly wasn't a criticism.

He's all weve got really atm, so without a £35m fee being used against him there definitely is a lot less pressure.

Back
Top Bottom