Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Wolves v Sheffield Utd predictions

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The facts this season prove that we are worse v the poorer sides. We do better v the bigger teams. GON has admitted that we struggle against sides where we have the possession and trying to break them down. We need that early goal to get them to come out and Neto can then cause them havoc. I don't think a point is good enough for Sheffield so if they score first that may be the end of the scoring.
It's jot so much that we're worse, more that the poorer sides fear us and set up accordingly.
We're a different proposition to when Nuno, Lage or Lop were in charge, I think GON will work it out.
Not to say it will be easy (my post was slightly tongue in cheek.)

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's jot so much that we're worse, more that the poorer sides fear us and set up accordingly.
We're a different proposition to when Nuno, Lage or Lop were in charge, I think GON will work it out.
Not to say it will be easy (my post was slightly tongue in cheek.)
Like all on here I'm far more optimistic now than say 3 or 4 months ago and hopefully GON can figure out a way to stuff the poorer sides. But the facts show that we have struggled, even recently v the lower sides - Bees, Palace, Luton, Sheffield, Fulham.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think them having a player sent off after 10 mins helped! I don't know when they scored but an early goal, say in the first 15 minutes could then open up the floodgates as Sheffield open up.
You are correct that once Holgate was rightly sent-off, the game was over as a contest. I watched it as I wanted to see our next couple of opponents. Sheff could have scored first, but once down to 10, they were never in the game and 5-0 actually flattered them. It could have been more, although the Blades did have a goal rightly disallowed for offside.
The Blades were dog-****, having just 21% possession and only one shot on target. If they play like they did, even with 11 players staying on the pitch and we play like we did at Chelsea or Spuds, then we should win. However, we know football doesn't work like that and it'll be closer than we'd like.
Brighton was excellent and their younger players; Adingra, Mitoma, Buonanotte looked really good. It should/will be much more difficult in the cup game against these.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As others have said an early goal is key. Their confidence is shot and if they concede one early the chances are good they will fold quicker than having 72 off suit heads up.

Thankful that Holgate is suspended. I would have spent all game terrified of him crippling Neto

Early goal and I think 4-0. Otherwise 2-0 with goals late in the game.

Reaction score
Agree with most posts, early goal for us and we could well hit them for a few. The blades are pretty blunt , 4-0

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After I thought we would hammer Brentford, I feared a whopping from spurs I have no desire to even guess what comes next BUT I can’t resist a bloody goal fest all being scored by the home team, positive goal difference being the thing that sends us into Europe
I regret saying it now oh dear hope I haven’t jinxed it

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
Hoping with the way that GON has been talking about games vs this type of team. He finally has an idea to unlock a stubborn defence.

I am going to go for a 3-1 win. We always seem to concede atm.

Will be decided by which Wolves show up. If we start like we have not woken up like vs Brentford, Burnley, Luton then could be a long afternoon.

FJRWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hoping with the way that GON has been talking about games vs this type of team. He finally has an idea to unlock a stubborn defence.

I am going to go for a 3-1 win. We always seem to concede atm.

Will be decided by which Wolves show up. If we start like we have not woken up like vs Brentford, Burnley, Luton then could be a long afternoon.
I'm sure GON has various plans about how to win these types of games, it's whether he feels he has the personnel and options to allow that.
I'm hopeful we can find a way on Sunday.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves 7-1 Sheffield

Hwang 4
Doyle
Neto
Dawson
They do have form for it, get the early goal and they could crumble.
Holgate suspended is nice, one because he can’t cripple any of ours, the other being, if that donkey was starting the last game, how bad were the alternatives that now have to come in?

Slothmonkey

Reaction score
I'm sure GON has various plans about how to win these types of games, it's whether he feels he has the personnel and options to allow that.
I'm hopeful we can find a way on Sunday.
Let's hope one of his various plans works. He should have one that fits the players he has hopefully

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would choose physical players over the likes of Sarabia and Neto, they could hurt them more if they enter the game at 60 mins. Totally tactical. Won’t be a popular opinion but Sheffield United are a dirty team and we do not want any injuries ahead of the brighton game.

The physicality could get us over the line

Bellegarde Fraser Hwang

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They do have form for it, get the early goal and they could crumble.
Holgate suspended is nice, one because he can’t cripple any of ours, the other being, if that donkey was starting the last game, how bad were the alternatives that now have to come in?
They do have a habit of dropping their heads. I watched the Brighton highlights from a Blades vlogger behind the goal where Brighton got their first - never a corner and the fans were as livid as we've been in the past. Every song from thereon was about being cheated even to the point of thinking Holgate shouldn't have been sent off.

Instead of a siege mentality on the pitch, the players responded to the crowd by accepting their fate. They are a defeatist bunch of tired and clueless looking players.

That's why they've been tonked plenty of times.

Brighton have scored ten against them this season. Other results:

Sheffield 0-8 Newcastle
Burnley 5-0 Sheffield
Arsenal 5-0 Sheffield
Sheffield 0-5 Villa

Minus 43 goal difference after just 25 games points to more than just being a poor side.

Wanderer Til I Die

Reaction score
Sheffield United look awful this season, and are going down with a wimper. We always seem to struggle against these types of teams though (Huddersfield did the double over us in 18/19, last season Leeds got relegated yet they beat us home and away!).

I still think we have more than enough quality to beat them, but I don't think it will be an easy game for us.

I'm going for a scrappy, hard fought, 2-1 Wolves win.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feels like we've been playing better away from home that at home recently. We don't break teams down and are so much better either counter attacking or pouncing on mistakes.

If nothing exceptional happens, , then on typical performance, we will huff and puff and they will gain confidence with every minute that passes that they don't concede. 90 minutes is a long time to hold out though, so most likely is a scrappy 1-0 or 2-0 win to us.

If there's any refereeing or VAR shennanigans (we are due some, they've been quiet recently!), then anything could happen and all bets are off.

(also wondering if we'll have half our minds on the FA cup match 3 days later, which is no help to us. Rules out a thrashing as if we take the lead, we will conserve energy).

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As the game gets nearer I feel more positive. There season is effectively over so I think we can and will just over-power them. Possession about 70/30 but breaking them down will be difficult but you have to think Neto will get and /or create several gilt edge chances; on balance I'm going for a reasonably comfortable 2-0.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
If we score early we’ll get 4 or 5. I think it will be a strangely subdued 2-0 though. Sarabia with a goal and an assist.

Back
Top Bottom