Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just had a quick scan at the table from last year. After 21 games, we were 17th with 17 points. Same games this year and we are 12 points better off.

Whatever the rights/wrongs of the summer dealings etc, the JL departure and the GON employment, it’s clear the club has got something really right. Chuck in the ffp punishments for Everton and Forest and it’s even more the case they deserve a little trust, faith and patience imho.

And just as I write this I see the Percy bomb!

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tried to get him from Zenit on the back of the Russia/Ukraine conflict, but he went to Corinthians on a free instead.

We don't drop interest easily when identifying a target. This is our man.
That crafty GON and Hobbs fella. Kept that really quiet didn’t they? Almost like they were always in control. I’ll wait till I see him with the gold shirt before getting too excited though.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why are people so quick to dismiss Europe as a possibility this season?

Don't get me wrong, I would not put money on us finishing in the top 7/8 or winning a cup, but the way it's dismissed is just a safety net for people to avoid debating about the ambition of the board.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think a front three of Neto, Cunha and Hwang is as good as most of what we're competing against.

Ait-Nouri is a player the majority think can play at the highest level, likewise Joao Gomes and Mario Lemina has been excellent.

The other players aren't exactly useless either, and all clubs have unheralded players who do well. For example, the likes of Burn and Longstaff featuring for a side that finished in the top four would be unheard of.

So, why wouldn't we make the top 7/8? Because our squad lacks the depth and unlike Newcastle who can bring in Wilson when Isak gets injured, or Spurs who have Werner to replace Son, or Brighton who have Evan Ferguson on the bench, we simply do not have anywhere near the quality of our rivals in reserve.

If Hwang/Cunha/Neto lose form or suffer an injury, or are simply run into the ground, the quality replacing them isn't enough.

Now we are massive overachievers, so I don't blame the club for that. In the summer our aim was 17th and we sold a lot of players due to FFP, so the squad was always going to suffer.

However, right now, we have a sniff of finishing in the top 7/8. Again, I do not make us favourites, and it would be an incredible story. But, there's a chance. So let's actually try. Get a proper striker in, and let's see what happens.
I agree with the sentiment. Europe is a definite possibility this season. Brighton are a shadow of the team they were last season and the start of this, Newcastle are struggling with injuries, FFP and consistency, Man Utd are the Premier League equivalent of The Simpsons and Family Guy, Chelsea are just meh and West Ham are always on the verge of falling off the cliff. We are by far the form team in the 6-11 group. If the club could just go for it in this window we could seriously challenge.

The trouble is that the club just aren't in a position to do so. They have to finish the season within FFP ,limits or it will all be a waste of time. Finishing in Europe wouldn't compensate for starting next season on -12 points. If we can bring someone in that fits the profile player wise and financial wise then Hobbs has enough credit in the bank for me to trust that that's exactly what he will do. If we don't then I will be satisfied that they tried the best they could and then at least we are in a great position for next season.

Prestatynwolf

Reaction score
Anyone know if he's any good?
This was from August last year when he was linked with west ham,obviously doesn't mean he won't do well as we don't know but I think Tim vickers is quite knowledgeable on South American football.

A bit of news on West Ham’s pursuit of Brazilian striker Yuri Alberto from Corinthians. South American football guru Tim Vickery, speaking on talkSPORT, says any potential deal is tricky due to the Brazilian club only owning 50% of his transfer rights (Russian club Zenit own the other half).

As for the 22-year-old’s prospects, Vickery says he’d suit David Moyes’ counter-attacking plan but adds he “isn’t 100% convinced” that Yuri Alberto is Premier League material yet.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish I hadn’t searched his name on Twitter. Lots of the Portuguese equivalents of “I’ll drive him there myself” type Tweets lol. Most fans seem pleased to be getting rid and shocked that he could be coming to the PL.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perfect hattrick he scored vs Atletico Goianiense in the quarter-final of the Copa Do Brasil (first goal from 1:25):

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
not exactly coming with glowing reviews

"I really have no idea what's so interesting about Yuri Alberto knowing that he's a terrible donkey, he's a meme player in Brazil. If this guy is the forward we need, it would be better to stay with Bellegarde at 9"
Quite a few “analysis” type accounts slating him and the potential signing too…

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

"I really have no idea what's so interesting about Yuri Alberto knowing that he's a terrible donkey, he's a meme player in Brazil. If this guy is the forward we need, it would be better to stay with Bellegarde at 9"
Tbf, how many of us were excited by Dawson coming in, or have offered to drive Hwang elsewhere, said that Cunha is **** etc. opinions are like assholes and all that…
At 22 he still has time to grow/develop and may suit our style of play. - making him really effective.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, at least this might make tomorrow a bit more fun than we'd imagined.

Not going to pretend I know anything about him, but would be happy with anyone really if it's an option. You could find far worse comments on Hwang just 6 months ago, and he's got a very decent goal record for someone his age.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's far more likely he's the forward we can get rather than who we need.

I'm not inclined to listen to reviews about any player. How many wanted nothing to do with GON based on that Bournemouth fans review of him? How many on here said they would have happily driven Hwang to Leeds last season and what would Leeds fan's have made of that? I'd much rather keep an open mind and judge him with my own eyes after a decent settling in period

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish I hadn’t searched his name on Twitter. Lots of the Portuguese equivalents of “I’ll drive him there myself” type Tweets lol. Most fans seem pleased to be getting rid and shocked that he could be coming to the PL.
I take anything Brazilian football fans say with a pinch of salt. Someone's great one week and they're hunting him down for a beheading the next.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember that 90% of this forum said they'd 'drive Hwang there myself' when we were receiving bids for him 6-12 months ago.

Frankly our bench is a disgrace, even more so now we've loaned our two sub strikers out. We need one desperately, so Fraser can go on loan to League One and get some minutes.

Never heard of the fella but if the scouting team and manager think he's the one to get, let's do it. At this point it is almost statistically impossible for any striker to be worse than Danny Ings.

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I take anything Brazilian football fans say with a pinch of salt. Someone's great one week and they're hunting him down for a beheading the next.
Remember how we were told Cunha was ****...

Raul wasn't exactly pulling up trees when we signed him either. Think we need to see what Gary can do with him first before we judge. If Gary is happy with him then so am I.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Same mostly, I have a few friends from Santos who laughed at me when I said Messi was better than Neymar about 10 years ago! But either way, not the sort of comments you like to see about a potential signing. Could still be a hit of course.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yuri Alberto is an extremely fast and agile player who typically behaves as a Shadow Striker. His excellent dribbling ability and composure in front of goal make him a potent weapon in the final third.

The 21-year-old can play anywhere across the front line and has decent positioning but he will be looking to further develop this in the future if he wants to take his game to the next level.

Interestingly, the centre-forward shows great quality at recovering the ball in the final third. This is definitely a quality to highlight as he can revive attacks by winning the ball back in dangerous areas on the pitch.

would be a great pick for a lower to mid-table English team.

Other players worth mentioning are Murilo (Palmeiras), Gabriel Menino (Palmeiras), Helinho (Red Bull Bragantino), João Gomes (Flamengo) and Santiago Simón (River Plate).

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember that 90% of this forum said they'd 'drive Hwang there myself' when we were receiving bids for him 6-12 months ago.

Frankly our bench is a disgrace, even more so now we've loaned our two sub strikers out. We need one desperately, so Fraser can go on loan to League One and get some minutes.

Never heard of the fella but if the scouting team and manager think he's the one to get, let's do it. At this point it is almost statistically impossible for any striker to be worse than Danny Ings.
I'm glad you didn't write "We were ALL saying......."

Gets my ****ing goat!

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since the really bad reaction to Iwelumo joining I've always had the opinion you judge a player when they play for you....

Lemina, Dawson, Cunha..... the list goes on.

It's like any job. The wrong individual, in the wrong scenario, at the wrong time can look hopeless. Get them in the right scenario at the right time, and they shine.

Back
Top Bottom