Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it comes down to structure. O'Neil was very open about Cunha when he first started, saying as his no.9, that he needs him to be more disciplined positionally than his natural game maybe wants him to be.

I think that comes with age and experience. We've seen from a few of Fabio's cameos that he was all energy, but not necessarily targeting that energy correctly, instead just going full bull in a china shop and charging around left, right and centre.

If you watch how Cunha plays, he presses well, but he picks when to press and when not to very well too.

Perhaps O'Neil's reluctance to use Fraser and his request for a more experienced no.9 comes from that place too. He wants his 9 to do specific things positionally, to control their pressing in each given scenario. Something that maybe a younger forward struggles to do when the adrenaline and testosterone kicks in!!

Yeah I agree. It wasn't meant as a criticism of Fraser at all. He's 18 and he's clearly got talent, but no shame whatsoever if the manager doesn't think you're ready for the toughest league in the world at that age!

The point was his reluctance to be used means we definitely need a 9 before the deadline.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here's a question: where does a striker fit in to current set-up? Who is getting dropped? What does the shape look like? I'm not saying we don't need one, I just don't see where we make space. Does Cunha get dropped? Do we move to a back 4 to enable an extra attacker?
Bellegarde played there on Sunday, so in that case Bellegarde would be dropped. A striker would be vying with Hwang when he returns.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Here's a question: where does a striker fit in to current set-up? Who is getting dropped? What does the shape look like? I'm not saying we don't need one, I just don't see where we make space. Does Cunha get dropped? Do we move to a back 4 to enable an extra attacker?

When everyone is fit and available, I can't see that Cunha, Hwang, Neto are being dropped. Despite his goals, I think Hwang is the most likely to drop out, with Cunha playing off the left.

I suppose what a proper 9 gives us is the ability to switch it up a bit for games where we need something different. Like when Fraser came on at 2-1 down in the cup vs Brentford and for about 10 minutes, we had 4 forwards on the pitch.

We kind of had that with Sasa too, but he wanted to play every game rather than be the go-to plan B, and he doesn't appear to be in O'Neil's long-term plans, so it was best for future sale perspective that he's playing every week out on loan.

We saw that we had that with Fraser too in the Brentford game. I just hope if we do bring someone in they are better options than we already had!

Hrothgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spot on. 1/2 signings could be the difference between Wembley/Europe and mid-table mediocrity followed by squad depletion.

Surely Fosun see this???
Ive no doubt they can see that pretty clearly- although the critical word there is ofcourse “could”! But if the financial situation doesnt allow there isnt much they can do about it is there?
Do have to agree though with other posters that sending out Fabio, Sasa and possibly even Chiquinho on loan in such circumstances seems somewhat strange!

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like i said in a previous post he wants a 9 for cunha to play 10 but thats a change to formation or structure i think if we win against united it would be remiss to change everything when looking at top half finish europe so maybe 9 for summer when he has a preseason to bed everything in, hes never had a preseason at any club hes managed

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surprised that Palace have the FFP headroom for this and the new RB signing. Thats 30M of incomings (obviously amortized over the life of the contract).

I think it's wages they are struggling with. They have 8 fringe players out of contract at the end of the season, who are earning about £350k per week between them. There's an £18m saving that easily covers the amortisation and wages for £30m of signings going forward.

Reaction score
The chances of us bringing in a striker in this window were always very slim. As I've said before, the club are not prepared to bring in just anybody for the sake of it if he doesn't improve on what we have or fit in with the longer-term aims.

Whilst it appears that a European spot is within touching distance, you may recall that Hobbs gave an interview in the early weeks of the season where he said that, providing we stayed up, league position was not important this term and he would gladly sacrifice a few places in the league for signs of progress in the long-term strategy. That ain't gonna change now.

Progress is being made both on and off the field and, whilst we do run the risk of player 'burn out' towards the end of the season with such a small squad, I can't see them changing their stance regarding getting through this season in good shape financially with a view to looking to kick on again in the summer. GON knew this when he took the job and has always said he understands and is happy with that but, of course, as a coach he will always want more if possible.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Broja and Ekitike were always going to be long shots. Hopefully we get a striker or forward in, not expecting much with our current financial predicament though.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The chances of us bringing in a striker in this window were always very slim. As I've said before, the club are not prepared to bring in just anybody for the sake of it if he doesn't improve on what we have or fit in with the longer-term aims.

Whilst it appears that a European spot is within touching distance, you may recall that Hobbs gave an interview in the early weeks of the season where he said that, providing we stayed up, league position was not important this term and he would gladly sacrifice a few places in the league for signs of progress in the long-term strategy. That ain't gonna change now.

Progress is being made both on and off the field and, whilst we do run the risk of player 'burn out' towards the end of the season with such a small squad, I can't see them changing their stance regarding getting through this season in good shape financially with a view to looking to kick on again in the summer. GON knew this when he took the job and has always said he understands and is happy with that but, of course, as a coach he will always want more if possible.
The game simply doesnt work in that way financially.

Europe, a cup run and a 6th placed finish amounts to something like a 100m extra in income of all sorts

As it stands we are in the 5th round, and in the chase for 6th place, in fact the team in form in that 5 club chase.

Adapt to circumstance, be aggressive when the gains are so high, these are all basic
maxims of any competitive situation, and one Wolves are bang in the middle of.

Wolves have players to sell in the summer if the "gamble" failed, so are protected in
as much as one can be in the financial structures that underpin the Premier League.

It really is the time to secure one or two important signings. Much more than we realise could depend on that.

Including losing Oneil and crew, including undermining any possibility of the stadium being expanded in
the shortterm.

Ripeness is all.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I get tired of this 'we will only bring players in better than what we have'....stuff. If somehow we have no money even for a bloody loan deal and after removing three of our main salary outgoings till the summer, this is just pie in the sky and nonsense. I still can't see the point of letting Sasa go if, as was all too predictable, we land up with nothing or next to nothing at 11 p.m. on Jan 31. It is Gary I feel sorry for as he and the team have been badly let down after their supreme efforts with such a thin squad this season. If that situation does not change dramatically this summer I can see GON considering other options in the future.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

When everyone is fit and available, I can't see that Cunha, Hwang, Neto are being dropped. Despite his goals, I think Hwang is the most likely to drop out, with Cunha playing off the left.

I suppose what a proper 9 gives us is the ability to switch it up a bit for games where we need something different. Like when Fraser came on at 2-1 down in the cup vs Brentford and for about 10 minutes, we had 4 forwards on the pitch.

We kind of had that with Sasa too, but he wanted to play every game rather than be the go-to plan B, and he doesn't appear to be in O'Neil's long-term plans, so it was best for future sale perspective that he's playing every week out on loan.

We saw that we had that with Fraser too in the Brentford game. I just hope if we do bring someone in they are better options than we already had!

I’m not sure Hwang is ideal for the wider positions, he doesn’t really carry the ball well enough. I think he is better suited to the central role, so if a new 9 comes in it just depends if that player is better than Hwang as to if he gets in the team.

I imagine it’s quite unlikely we play 4 forwards, unless you count RAN as a forward in a 442 hybrid sort of system.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I for one , am very much in favour of the long term verses short term, looks like we have a plan, rather than the scatter gun approach of Mr Sellars
There is always a short term, a medium term and a long term outlook for any business. But if you project forwards and neglect the present you are in trouble. We need to build a solid core of quality round the likes of Cunha, Neto, Gomes, Ait-Nouri, Kilman and then cherry pick players on the same or a better level over time. For now we are ridiculously under- resourced in our forwards. That is a now issue that won't go away.

Meanwhile it seems everyone here is convinced Neto is off in the summer who is pretty much irreplaceable quality- wise. As we have seen this January, we are not first choice for many quality players as it is, and if we sell of our best in the summer it will get harder and harder to sustain quality in the squad. The solid impression right now is 1) the first priority each season is not to get relegated 2) to at best achieve a lower mid table position. Not inspiring especially when you have a talented bunch under a talented manager who could challenge top 8 with some proper reinforcement.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let's hope we have a back up plan sorted and are just making our last attempts to get target A or B...

Maybe Habib Diallo or Dia as last minute moves.

I’d personally prefer if we got one or two players “for the future” who could help fill out the squad and play the last 15/20 minutes of a game, like we did with Chiquinho.

I love our starting 11 - it’s the bench that needs work.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

'Kick on again' by selling our best player Neto and perhaps Ait-Nouri too? We are one centre forward away from being a very good balanced team NOW.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is always a short term, a medium term and a long term outlook for any business. But if you project forwards and neglect the present you are in trouble. We need to build a solid core of quality round the likes of Cunha, Neto, Gomes, Ait-Nouri, Kilman and then cherry pick players on the same or a better level over time. For now we are ridiculously under- resourced in our forwards. That is a now issue that won't go away.

Meanwhile it seems everyone here is convinced Neto is off in the summer who is pretty much irreplaceable quality- wise. As we have seen this January, we are not first choice for many quality players as it is, and if we sell of our best in the summer it will get harder and harder to sustain quality in the squad. The solid impression right now is 1) the first priority each season is not to get relegated 2) to at best achieve a lower mid table position. Not inspiring especially when you have a talented bunch under a talented manager who could challenge top 8 with some proper reinforcement.
I have total faith in the current management team, unlike the previous
I believe most fans feel similar, some show more concern than others, but the general feeling appears relaxed
I think due to more trust in capability

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I reckon we'll move on from Broja and Ekitike now. Unfortunately they can't be done on the terms that we want them. Let's see what Plan B is. Boulaye Dia or Habib Diallo?

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
I reckon we'll move on from Broja and Ekitike now. Unfortunately they can't be done on the terms that we want them. Let's see what Plan B is. Boulaye Dia or Habib Diallo?
Dia wanted to come last year

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We dont necessarily need an out and out no9. An attacker like Hwang or Cunha would do. Must be a forward in world football we can get on our budget to offer some competition. Hope our scouts can find someone. If not you have to ask why not? It will be interesting what some other clubs do and will be highly annoying if rivals bring in attackers on loan deals on Thursday and we do nothing. The head coach and squad deserve more support from above.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chirewa looked very poor and slow on Sunday. I seriously doubt he’s got a long term future at anything above Championship at best. Looked similar to Cundle who I don’t rate either.
I know this site is about opinions and we’re all entitled to have them.

But give the lad a break. He’s 20 years old and has been at the club for 4 months. He deserves credit for working hard and getting noticed enough to be considered for the first team bench.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Hwang's goalscoring feats will begin to peter out and even if they don't he is not in any way a central striker who can be the main focus of attacks. You need competition for obvious reasons. If Cunha gets knackered our results will spiral downwards as we are now so dependent on him and he will face burn out if the club are not careful as there is noone to replace him properly. Cunha, with a quality No.9 just ahead of him, will be even more potent than he currently is. O'Neil knows this, hence his constant references to the thinness of his forward options. But no support from the club this January as everything is 'ok' in mediocrity land.

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
I know this site is about opinions and we’re all entitled to have them.

But give the lad a break. He’s 20 years old and has been at the club for 4 months. He deserves credit for working hard and getting noticed enough to be considered for the first team bench.
Comes across ok to me. Not going look like Messi in 10 min role

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe Habib Diallo or Dia as last minute moves.

I’d personally prefer if we got one or two players “for the future” who could help fill out the squad and play the last 15/20 minutes of a game, like we did with Chiquinho.

I love our starting 11 - it’s the bench that needs work.
Yes...let's hope Diallo on loan . ..as I say maybe just trying one final push with the preferred option...before we move on...

Reaction score
The game simply doesnt work in that way financially.

Europe, a cup run and a 6th placed finish amounts to something like a 100m extra in income of all sorts

As it stands we are in the 5th round, and in the chase for 6th place, in fact the team in form in that 5 club chase.

Adapt to circumstance, be aggressive when the gains are so high, these are all basic
maxims of any competitive situation, and one Wolves are bang in the middle of.

Wolves have players to sell in the summer if the "gamble" failed, so are protected in
as much as one can be in the financial structures that underpin the Premier League.

It really is the time to secure one or two important signings. Much more than we realise could depend on that.

Including losing Oneil and crew, including undermining any possibility of the stadium being expanded in
the shortterm.

Ripeness is all.
Just telling you what the club philosophy is.

You are, of course, entitled to disagree with that philosophy but that's what they are pursuing

Back
Top Bottom