Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really? Do we REALLY lack a CF? ****, I've asked a question again

The stats would suggest we need to tighten up a little more the other way.

Yet yesterday you said you'd be disappointed if we didn't bring anyone in...
Yep, I would be. I think we are one attacker light.

The two are not mutually exclusive, I see that has passed you by.

You are allowed to provoke debate instead of being miserable.

I am interested as to your thoughts on your interpretation of GON being ripped apart by posters other than me....

You're quick to try and make something out on my POV that isn't there, but I see you've gone quiet there....

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ah the joys of a ‘quote’ out of context of a bigger quote to fit an agenda.

If you read the whole bit rather than just your selected two words it has a bit less impact. It’s disappointing because we felt we were making headway, but ultimately not doable.

We had a meeting yesterday and it looks like they're not going to be doable financially for us, at this point. We're back to looking at other options that we might be able to do.

"It's disappointing firstly because we felt like we were making some headway on a couple, but it looks like they're not going to be doable.

"As I've been since you started asking me about the transfer window, I don't want it to be seen as a negative because the group we have has given us so much so far. I'm delighted to keep working with them.
"I'm not just going to sign anybody. It's not that we need a number nine so we'll take anyone we can get, we need to take people that deserve the opportunity to play for Wolves and are good enough to help the group.

"January is tricky and prices are sometimes inflated when clubs don't want to lose their good players. If we can't find ones that help us and I think are credible to play for Wolverhampton Wanderers, then we'll go with what we've got which is fine."
Just in case you missed it @WeAreTheWolvesII here's the complete assassination of your post. I notice you failed to reply, so seen as though we are in the habit of brining up previous posts, I thought I'd help you out. Love the word AGENDA.
We are a premier league team. We have a full house every week. We have recently spent £35m on an 18-year old and £28m on somebody who wanted out before he even arrived. We sold over £100m worth of players less than 6 months ago and reduced our wage bill by millions.

Our reserve keeper couldn’t get a game for Bristol City and our 3rd choice is so bad we would probably play Kilman in goal if the other two were injured.

We don’t have a number 9 who
has scored a single league goal and we can’t even afford to bring in a championship cast off striker.

Just look at those facts and let them sink in.

The only fair way to describe how our senior management have acted to get ourselves into such a position is ‘gross incompetence and negligence’.

This is indisputable.
And despite this, the Primark Mourinho is being massively outperformed by Sir Gary of Molineux.

Highlandwolf2

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Correction, whatever happens during this window, it remains a very exciting season to be a Wolves fan, we are playing some wonderful football. I for one will certainly remember this season for many years to come. UTW.
Well said, sir! After 3 years of footballing dross we now have a team worth watching and, irrespective of how the season ultimately turns out,

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im not the one championing the approach smart ****.
No, but you are the one questioning another poster on his statement about the approach which is quite easily backed up by a quick search. To save you the hassle; Mac Allister 2019, Caicedo 2021, Enciso 2022, Buonanotte 2023, Barco 2024. The first two sold for about £150m, so it's pretty fair to say it's been a pretty fruitful market for them. and also one they've used pretty regularly.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, but you are the one questioning another poster on his statement about the approach which is quite easily backed up by a quick search. To save you the hassle; Mac Allister 2019, Caicedo 2021, Enciso 2022, Buonanotte 2023, Barco 2024. The first two sold for about £150m, so it's pretty fair to say it's been a pretty fruitful market for them. and also one they've used pretty regularly.
Thank you, That is all I was after. I wasn't questioning the approach, I was after more detail. This time of year man. Horrible.

And why isn't every club doing it? I suspect it isn't THAT easy

Barco? Any good anyone?

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, I would be. I think we are one attacker light.

The two are not mutually exclusive, I see that has passed you by.

You are allowed to provoke debate instead of being miserable.

I am interested as to your thoughts on your interpretation of GON being ripped apart by posters other than me....

You're quick to try and make something out on my POV that isn't there, but I see you've gone quiet there....

So after spending all day arguing yesterday, you want me to do the same today? :D

What's the point? You all have your own thoughts, I have mine and it goes against the grain because it's deemed as negative.

Really, my negativity stems from the fact I think we could reach an FA Cup semi-final and finish in the top eight in the Premier League. I think that's possible, so wanting the best possible squad makes me negative.

We will see in time, won't we. I can't argue every day over it. Our squad is nowhere near good enough to last the season, in my opinion, and if we don't make a new signing I will happily bet anyone that our PPG for the final 17 games will not be better or equal to the first 21.

I also feel it's nothing to do with money, but that will have to wait until the summer. Shi has confirmed we will have more freedom from the summer, yet I am confident we won't have a positive net spend then, because, as O'Neil has alluded to, it could be a club decision.

Anyway, back to the original point. Very argumentative response from you considering we agree, we're one attacker light.

Let's hope it gets rectified before the deadline.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I HATE this time of year, brings out the worst in everyone.
What drives me nuts is nobody knows exactly what our financial situation is, yet it's said with very little uncertainty that not spending in this window comes down to a lack of ambition. What we do know - is that we lost £70m~ last season and £46m the season before that, and we had to make a £10m+ profit this season (and no, that profit number is not as simple as calculating transfers in vs. transfers out last summer).

I'm not referring to any single poster when I say this before anyone decides to take offence, it's just something that really ticks me off, and it was a million times worse in the summer compared to what it is now.

At the very least the FFP breaches and subsequent points deductions have quietened the idea that it comes down to a lack of ambition from the owners, but there's still a few who are absolutely convinced that's the case in spite of what's gone on in the last couple of months. If they don't get it now I'm not sure they ever will, or they simply don't care to know because it doesn't suit a narrative they've formed in their heads.

Everyone knows we ****ed up with Guedes and Silva. We've since greatly reduced our dependency on Mendes and got our books in order. The owners will admit they haven't got everything right, but they've certainly done a lot more right than they've done wrong, and giving Matt Hobbs the keys to the house is certainly one of them.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thank you, That is all I was after. I wasn't questioning the approach, I was after more detail. This time of year man. Horrible.

And why isn't every club doing it? I suspect it isn't THAT easy

Barco? Any good anyone?
It came across to me as a bit flippant towards the poster. Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So after spending all day arguing yesterday, you want me to do the same today? :D

What's the point? You all have your own thoughts, I have mine and it goes against the grain because it's deemed as negative.

Really, my negativity stems from the fact I think we could reach an FA Cup semi-final and finish in the top eight in the Premier League. I think that's possible, so wanting the best possible squad makes me negative.

We will see in time, won't we. I can't argue every day over it. Our squad is nowhere near good enough to last the season, in my opinion, and if we don't make a new signing I will happily bet anyone that our PPG for the final 17 games will not be better or equal to the first 21.

I also feel it's nothing to do with money, but that will have to wait until the summer. Shi has confirmed we will have more freedom from the summer, yet I am confident we won't have a positive net spend then, because, as O'Neil has alluded to, it could be a club decision.

Anyway, back to the original point. Very argumentative response from you considering we agree, we're one attacker light.

Let's hope it gets rectified before the deadline.
Answer me this ONE question,

Why are you seldom seen to be posting when things are going well, but you just KNOW you are going to make an appearance when there's ANYTHING to moan about? I would LOVE a beer with you one day., purely to understand your mindset compared to mine. Please take that as a compliment for as much as I completely disagree with your view point at times, you love Wolves as much as I do which only deserves respect.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just in case you missed it @WeAreTheWolvesII here's the complete assassination of your post. I notice you failed to reply, so seen as though we are in the habit of brining up previous posts, I thought I'd help you out. Love the word AGENDA.

And despite this, the Primark Mourinho is being massively outperformed by Sir Gary of Molineux.

Are you alright?

I didn't reply because it's pointless.

I said O'Neil was disappointed, that was it. O'Neil said he was disappointed. Leominster, like others, presumed I said O'Neil was disappointed with the board. I didn't. Read the conversations back.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It came across to me as a bit flippant towards the poster. Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick.

It was flippant towards that poster. And far from the first time either.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What drives me nuts is nobody knows exactly what our financial situation is, yet it's said with very little uncertainty that not spending in this window comes down to a lack of ambition. What we do know - is that we lost £70m~ last season and £46m the season before that, and we had to make a £10m+ profit this season (and no, that profit number is not as simple as calculating transfers in vs. transfers out last summer).

I'm not referring to any single poster when I say this before anyone decides to take offence, it's just something that really ticks me off, and it was a million times worse in the summer compared to what it is now.

At the very least the FFP breaches and subsequent points deductions have quietened the idea that it comes down to a lack of ambition from the owners, but there's still a few who are absolutely convinced that's the case in spite of what's gone on in the last couple of months. If they don't get it now I'm not sure they ever will, or they simply don't care to know because it doesn't suit a narrative they've formed in their heads.

Everyone knows we ****ed up with Guedes and Silva. We've since greatly reduced our dependency on Mendes and got our books in order. The owners will admit they haven't got everything right, but they've certainly done a lot more right than they've done wrong, and giving Matt Hobbs the keys to the house is certainly one of them.
Completely agree. It's the constant passing off as fact from opinion that gets me, and interpretations that to most are extreme.

It's football I guess.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are you alright?

I didn't reply because it's pointless.

I said O'Neil was disappointed, that was it. O'Neil said he was disappointed. Leominster, like others, presumed I said O'Neil was disappointed with the board. I didn't. Read the conversations back.
Wonderful mate. Live in a great part of the world, love my job and get married in under two hundred days. You?

You didn't reply because you couldn't maybe?

He didn't say that though did he.....

My previous point stands, no one needs a daily reoccurance of this eh.

Oh and Scottish Power are paying me a grand back woohoo

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Why are you seldom seen to be posting when things are going well, but you just KNOW you are going to make an appearance when there's ANYTHING to moan about? I would LOVE a beer with you one day., purely to understand your mindset compared to mine. Please take that as a compliment for as much as I completely disagree with your view point at times, you love Wolves as much as I do which only deserves respect.
I answered it yesterday.

I'm here to debate.

I said on Monday that Semedo was excellent. Nobody disagreed, so what do you want me to do? Shall I post it again? 'Oi everyone, I said Semedo was excellent at Brighton, someone tell me he wasn't so I can have a go back'.

Likewise, I said on multiple occasions that O'Neil is going the second best job in the league IMO pound for pound. Again, nobody debates, so what do I do?

Also, the January window is a big deal to how our season plays out, so I'm passionate about it.

I keep saying, I see comparisons with 2022. We gave Traore away and went from being four points off a Champions League place to showing near relegation form and finishing nowhere, whilst going out of the FA Cup to Norwich at home.

Guess what, the same people said the same things then.

I think we can reach an FA Cup semi-final with a bit of luck, and we should be trying to finish in the top 8, even if it's unlikely.

As it stands, our squad is not equipped to do that IMO. So I want us to get in a striker, on the basis we can't rewind time and not loan out Sasa. I think it's amateur stuff to loan a player out before you got a replacement in, and, harping back to 2022, it would be Wolves once again making an amateur mistake, which is hard to fathom.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I HATE this time of year, brings out the worst in everyone.
It’s a weird time mate I will admit. Even I though am not as intense as I used to be as more important things to worry about but deadline day I will still be waiting for a Benik Afobe moment!

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I answered it yesterday.

I'm here to debate.

I said on Monday that Semedo was excellent. Nobody disagreed, so what do you want me to do? Shall I post it again? 'Oi everyone, I said Semedo was excellent at Brighton, someone tell me he wasn't so I can have a go back'.

Likewise, I said on multiple occasions that O'Neil is going the second best job in the league IMO pound for pound. Again, nobody debates, so what do I do?

Also, the January window is a big deal to how our season plays out, so I'm passionate about it.

I keep saying, I see comparisons with 2022. We gave Traore away and went from being four points off a Champions League place to showing near relegation form and finishing nowhere, whilst going out of the FA Cup to Norwich.

I think we can reach an FA Cup semi-final with a bit of luck, and we should be trying to finish in the top 8, even if it's unlikely.

As it stands, our squad is not equipped to do that IMO. So I want us to get in a striker, on the basis we can't rewind time and not loan out Sasa. I think it's amateur stuff to loan a player out before you got a replacement in, and, harping back to 2022, it would be Wolves once again making an amateur mistake, which is hard to fathom.
I don't think I could cope with another semi final haha.
Good on you for sharing, and thank you.
I think we are on the cusp of massive change in our game hence why I am a little more chilled perhaps. I also wouldnt drop any of the existing front three.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a weird time mate I will admit. Even I though am not as intense as I used to be as more important things to worry about but deadline day I will still be waiting for a Benik Afobe moment!
We ALL love a signing JOS. I remember buzzing in the pub when we signed Bassong

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Are things going bad?

I just think it's sometimes the mentality of the Wolves fan to be negative about everything, it's tiring to be around someone like that.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are things going bad?

I just think it's sometimes the mentality of the Wolves fan to be negative about everything, it's tiring to be around someone like that.
Indeed. I am delighted with where we are and sensitive to the wider picture. Changes are a comin

Back
Top Bottom