Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This shows FFP as the joke it is…….

FFP only protects the sky 6 and is actually anti-competition in reality.
They did overspend massively, i know your saying about sky 6.

United also in very watchful efforts, going to need to sell and release this summer.

Chelsea still potentially going to sell gallagher who has been there best midfielder due to FFP

liverpool and city have such massive revenues that they are fine, because of the monopoly. Arsenal again havent gone big since rice, so FFP tightening down on them, players like fabio viera etc, reiss nelson, nketiah all need decisions about moving on, like they did balogun.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves outcast Goncalo Guedes is set to swap Benfica for Villarreal after agreeing to move back to Spain on loan.

The winger, who cost Wolves £28million when he signed from Valencia in the summer of 2022, returned to former club Benfica in January 2023 after failing to settle in the Premier League.

He returned to the Portuguese side for a second loan spell last summer but has been frustrated by a lack of game time.

His move to Villarreal, who are 15th in La Liga, does not include any options or obligation to buy and does not command a loan fee, but the Spanish side will cover all of the 27-year-old’s wages.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The descision will come soon....stick with what we have or just get a short term body in on a dry loan as such..... someone like the Benfica striker....I suspect.....

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The descision will come soon....stick with what we have or just get a short term body in on a dry loan as such..... someone like the Benfica striker....I suspect.....

Still have 2 weeks left in the window - I would imagine that the last weeks is going to be busiest of the window with clubs looking for last minute deals. Hopefully we get something in that time period.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im still hoping for a late move for Morgan Whittaker at Plymouth.

He has got 7 goals in the last 7 games and looks a very skilful and strong player, who
may well be able to play across the front line.

Plymouth look out of the playoff chase, if one is ever out of the playoff chase in that division,
so presumably they may be open to cashing in on their main asset.

Also impt to keep recruiting "homegrown" players as part of staying ahead of the regulations.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still have 2 weeks left in the window - I would imagine that the last weeks is going to be busiest of the window with clubs looking for last minute deals. Hopefully we get something in that time period.
Yes I get that ....but I think any chance if getting someone who may help long term , maybe slim, without over paying which we probably can't do ...

It was always going to be a difficult task to get someone decent in January, especially when you have financial constraints....

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Mosquera going to get minutes, screams red card against the **** doesnt it

"He's able to hold a very high line because of how quick he is. He's very, very aggressive. There are some similarities with Toti.

Last edited:

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Perhaps we sometimes go a bit overboard on players and take it personally that they don't want to play for a club we love?

Yes, he wasn't happy here and he left after 5 and a bit months, but I don't think he ever went AWOL, missed training, refused to play, or stopped trying during games? (no more than anyone else at the time anyway).

We have to remember his time here coincided with some of the worst football and worst times off the field we have seen for a very long time, and most of his time here was under Bruno Lage and Steve Davis!

I'm glad he's gone, we don't need players here that aren't committed, but you sometimes have to see it from their perspective as to why they maybe had doubts about being here.

Agree completely.

People absolutely love to say that poor form is solely down to a lack of effort. Especially if a player is European, handsome, and slightly built. I'm not sure where it's come from the Guedes "didn't want to come here" but it's been taken as MolMix gospel now. There's nothing that surprising about him playing badly, when it was in a team that was absolutely terrible at attacking.

Did Hwang not want to be here back then? Did Sarabia not want to be here last season and then suddenly decided 2 months ago that he did?

Or is confidence often fragile, and is it very hard to play well in a team that couldn't score 1 goal per game?

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree completely.

People absolutely love to say that poor form is solely down to a lack of effort. Especially if a player is European, handsome, and slightly built. I'm not sure where it's come from the Guedes "didn't want to come here" but it's been taken as MolMix gospel now. There's nothing that surprising about him playing badly, when it was in a team that was absolutely terrible at attacking.

Did Hwang not want to be here back then? Did Sarabia not want to be here last season and then suddenly decided 2 months ago that he did?

Or is confidence often fragile, and is it very hard to play well in a team that couldn't score 1 goal per game?
Whether GoN can work his magic is a valid question, but GG needs to want to do it too

For now, it's best GG is away from Wolves and then see what the summer brings.

The problem is though, even if GG was motivated I'm not sure he's actually that good.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whether GoN can work his magic is a valid question, but GG needs to want to do it too

The problem is though, even if GG was motivated I'm not sure he's actually that good.
His goal against arsenal was pretty decent

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He's just a signing that never should have been allowed to happen. He's never performed anywhere other than for Iberian teams.

His 7 months at PSG should have been a huge warning sign that he just wouldn't get on well here.

After lasting a huge 12 months away from Spain or Portugal in his career, you can bet no other northern European team will ever take a chance on him again.

Good decision to send him to Spain. Get him playing well (and regularly) and a Spanish club will buy him in the summer.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They did overspend massively, i know your saying about sky 6.

United also in very watchful efforts, going to need to sell and release this summer.

Chelsea still potentially going to sell gallagher who has been there best midfielder due to FFP

liverpool and city have such massive revenues that they are fine, because of the monopoly. Arsenal again havent gone big since rice, so FFP tightening down on them, players like fabio viera etc, reiss nelson, nketiah all need decisions about moving on, like they did balogun.

Yeah but the point is the sky 6 overspent for a very long time, built the brands and access to fan revenue and sponsors that have set them in a position that is going to be almost impossible to break into. So yeah, they have to tighten up a bit, but the only way others can grow is to sell…. And who are the only clubs they can really sell too….. the bigger clubs who had years to build brands when ffp wasn’t a thing or did the very thing Newcastle are being stopped from doing.

That is why it is anti-competition and a total farce

Almost like allowing steroids for years, then banning it when others can finally afford them. Agreeing to do so, knowing full well while you can’t use them any more, you have more physical ability and room to grow (but less than before) to perform due to the previous years of training on steroids that will allow you to perform at a level that others will never reach. So while you have a small drop off in physical performance, the benefits you gain and have long term will still be better than the competition.

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see Gyokeres is being linked with a £75 move to Chelsea. Real shame we couldn’t afford to make him our No. 9 signing at the time
They were laughing (literally) about this on the radio yesterday. They couldn't believe that Chelsea would do something so stupid ... despite all the past evidence they thought this was one step too far.

That Todd Bohely, eh? Crazy antics.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree completely.

Sorry, you get paid handsomely to do your job, boo hoo Guedes didn't want to be here, don't take the money then, its rather simple. So **** him, and a good chuckle that his career is now in tatters.

kinyo298

Reaction score
Im still hoping for a late move for Morgan Whittaker at Plymouth.

He has got 7 goals in the last 7 games and looks a very skilful and strong player, who
may well be able to play across the front line.

Plymouth look out of the playoff chase, if one is ever out of the playoff chase in that division,
so presumably they may be open to cashing in on their main asset.

Also impt to keep recruiting "homegrown" players as part of staying ahead of the regulations.
This 100%. A young and lively striker who works hard and 1 for the future.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
trippier to bayern? Newcastle very worried about FFP need to balance books this summer
as @WolfLing says below, Livramento could easily slot in. I think for all of Trippier’s talents, defensively he’s been found out this year.
GON himself thinks we will get one in, and i’m relaxed about whatever happens truth be told.
Makes sense. 33, 1 year left on his deal in the summer, probably one of their higher earners, and it's their last chance to get a decent fee for him.

Tino Livramento is their future too, great right back.
Absolutely, although if it’s more than £10m i’d be surprised.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They were laughing (literally) about this on the radio yesterday. They couldn't believe that Chelsea would do something so stupid ... despite all the past evidence they thought this was one step too far.

That Todd Bohely, eh? Crazy antics.
Would have seen a ten point deduction without selling even more players.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely, although if it’s more than £10m i’d be surprised.

Yeah, me too.

But as we know, Newcastle will have a fee in mind based on what they paid for him and what is still due to be amortised.

I'd expect any fee to be exactly equal to his remaining amortisation of around £7.2m!

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry, you get paid handsomely to do your job, boo hoo Guedes didn't want to be here, don't take the money then, its rather simple. So **** him, and a good chuckle that his career is now in tatters.

The whole point of my post was why is it accepted as fact that he "didn't want to be here"?

How do we know he didn't want to be here? How are we so certain he wasn't just playing badly, in a team where about 8 other players were also playing badly?

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah but the point is the sky 6 overspent for a very long time, built the brands and access to fan revenue and sponsors that have set them in a position that is going to be almost impossible to break into. So yeah, they have to tighten up a bit, but the only way others can grow is to sell…. And who are the only clubs they can really sell too….. the bigger clubs who had years to build brands when ffp wasn’t a thing or did the very thing Newcastle are being stopped from doing.

Almost like allowing steroids for years, then banning it when others can finally afford them. Agreeing to do so, knowing full well while you can’t use them any more, you have more physical ability and room to grow (but less than before) to perform due to the previous years of training on steroids that will allow you to perform at a level that others will never reach. So while you have a small drop off in physical performance, the benefits you gain and have long term will still be better than the competition.
Excellent post.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would love the Tripper to bayern thing to be true. Newcastle lose one of their most consistent best players and replace him for a 29 year old that looks good for about ten minutes a game and then goes AWOL. Might be the right move in the long run, but can't see them qualifying for Europe this year with that sort of strategy.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Paradoxically, however, Wolves look to be in one of the best positions outside of the top group, and even in comparison to someone like Chelsea who look very unstable to me now.

We have a squad worth over 400 million, have cleared FFP/PSR and have a stripped down squad, with money to spend in a summer, where there will be amazing bargains to be had.

We would have been in an even better position if the ground had been expanded when it should have been,, it should be said.

But nevertheless where a top 6 campaign becomes a feasible option.

Its part of a more general trend, greatly accelerated by the stricter limits on spending, where the top 12/13 clubs as they are currently constituted will be very hard to budge from their current positions. It will be possible for a Leeds or a Leicester to re-emerge as a top 10 club, but the transtion from the Championship will become much more complicated in terms of player trading and debt.

Its not just about FFP, however. There are longer term trends at work. Those clubs who stay in the Premier year after year accrue over time. Better squads, better managers, better networks across the world, more experienced senior management. Wolves are also becoming one of those longer stayers, with six seasons at this point. A seventh very likely. And only two relegations over that period. We stand already at having been in the Premier for the most seasons at 20th place. Seven successive seasons begins to count for a lot.

Maybe the rules will be loosened again because of the competitive imbalance being increased by too much of a margin, but right now as it stands, the top 12 group have very distinct advantages, and, of them, Wolves in particular have distinct advantages, having taken the measures they have taken.

Its an important time for the club to consolidate that top half place, there may never be a better time.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Just strikes me that in our position he's probably unsellable. Correct me if I'm wrong, but his book price was £20m at the start of the season, so if we couldn't get £15m for him, but could find someone to pay him for the season, then he costs us less by loaning him out than selling him!

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just strikes me that in our position he's probably unsellable. Correct me if I'm wrong, but his book price was £20m at the start of the season, so if we couldn't get £15m for him, but could find someone to pay him for the season, then he costs us less by loaning him out than selling him!
Yeah, from an FFP / PSR perspective that's right.

We'll be loaning him out until he nears the end of his contract....at which point he'll probably do a Darren Ferguson, look like a proper footballer and get another contract before going back to being awful again.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Paradoxically, however, Wolves look to be in one of the best positions outside of the top group, and even in comparison to someone like Chelsea who look very unstable to me now.

We have a squad worth over 400 million, have cleared FFP/PSR and have a stripped down squad, with money to spend in a summer, where there will be amazing bargains to be had.

We would have been in an even better position if the ground had been expanded when it should have been,, it should be said.

But nevertheless where a top 6 campaign becomes a feasible option.

Its part of a more general trend, greatly accelerated by the stricter limits on spending, where the top 12/13 clubs as they are currently constituted will be very hard to budge from their current positions. It will be possible for a Leeds or a Leicester to re-emerge as a top 10 club, but the transtion from the Championship will become much more complicated in terms of player trading and debt.

Its not just about FFP, however. There are longer term trends at work. Those clubs who stay in the Premier year after year accrue over time. Better squads, better managers, better networks across the world, more experienced senior management. Wolves are also becoming one of those longer stayers, with six seasons at this point. A seventh very likely. And only two relegations over that period. We stand already at having been in the Premier for the most seasons at 20th place. Seven successive seasons begins to count for a lot.

Maybe the rules will be loosened again because of the competitive imbalance being increased by too much of a margin, but right now as it stands, the top 12 group have very distinct advantages, and, of them, Wolves in particular have distinct advantages, having taken the measures they have taken.

Its an important time for the club to consolidate that top half place, there may never be a better time.
Think next season we start the journey to wages being something like 70% of wages which aligns with UEFA. Jeff has referenced this before. Obviously favours bigger clubs but we’ve also already lowered our wage bill. However, those with enourmous squads will struggle to sell big earners.

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am glad Mosquera will get some game time as I think he could be a great player for us over the next few seasons .

Guedes not getting any game time and gone on loan elsewhere . Was he injured or did he have a face like a slapped **** on the first loan so they have ditched him early ?

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This has scrambled my brain a little! Trying to work it all out.

I think it all comes down to any fee covering the remaining amortisation. I don't think it costs us less to loan him out, but there could be reasons why loaning him is beneficial for future accounts if we can't sell him for what we need to.

£27.5m fee in summer 2022, on 5 year deal, £5.5m per season.

£22m book value in summer 2023 (£5.5m x remaining 4 years).

Cost to us per season of keeping him here is £5.5m amortised fee, plus £4,680,000 in salary (£90k per week) = £10,180,000 per season.

Cost to us of loaning him out with wages covered is £5.5m a season, a £4,680,000 saving. But for that year in isolation, the wage saving effectively covers most of the amortisation value to get close to a net position for that year he is loaned.

If people were only offering £15m for him in the summer, with £22m book value and 4 years of contract remaining, by selling him, you're locking in that £7m loss for future years.

But if we wait a year, someone else covers his wages and we can get £16.5m for him next summer, there's no loss on the books going forward?

Or failing that, we loan him again and hope someone pays £11m for him in the summer of 2025, or £5.5m for him in the summer of 2026?!

Sound about right?! I need a lie down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom