Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Everton verdict

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just watched MOTD recording. Hilarious. As predicted by many, rather than talking about any of our good stuff it was all about how poor Everton were in defence. So predictable. Oh well, never mind - we know what matters. On to 2024...
I watched MOTD and dont see any problem tbh
Yes we were last on,someone has to be,and yes Keown analyzed Evertons failings more than our successes but thats no biggie
Both he and Dublin praised our play as did GL and all said what a good job GON is doing
We do get a persecution complex far too easily, especially with MOTD ,who i find are usually very complimentary about us

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes we were last on,someone has to be,and yes Keown analyzed Evertons failings more than our successes but thats no biggie
Both he and Dublin praised our play as did GL and all said what a good job GON is doing
We do get a persecution complex far too easily, especially with MOTD ,who i find are usually very complimentary about us
I took it more as Wolves did what Wolves were expected to do, Molineux is a nasty place to go and Wolves are tough to get anything from.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People just want everything to be about them.

Motd were perfectly fair. They don't have time to do everything and opted to show everton's defensive change as a failure while showing nice moves from us.

The media have been much more positive on gon than we have.

Sky are the only ones I have an issue with. They make every single game about the top six. Every single one. It's so dull.

The Pie Poker

Reaction score

Personally I find the weekly MOTD complaints on here and online very tedious. Why it bothers people is beyond me. They show all our goals don't they?

We're a small club with a much smaller fan base than the bigger clubs, it makes perfect sense to me they prioritise those, more of the audience want to see that..

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Motd were perfectly fair. They don't have time to do everything and opted to show everton's defensive change as a failure while showing nice moves from us.

Sky are the only ones I have an issue with. They make every single game about the top six. Every single one. It's so dull.
Yeah.. I had some driving to do over Christmas and tried a few podcasts.

Lineker and Co: their podcast covers all the teams, results and although they are slightly weighted to the big boys, they get around everyone.

Sky/Gary Neville: I listened to the last 6 episodes and not a single mention of any team outside of Sky6.. not even once in about 4 hours of listening.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally I find the weekly MOTD complaints on here and online very tedious. Why it bothers people is beyond me. They show all our goals don't they?

We're a small club with a much smaller fan base than the bigger clubs, it makes perfect sense to me they prioritise those, more of the audience want to see that..
As Lineker always says every club's fans moan on his twitter that MOTD has it in for them

So they've got the balance spot on!

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Me and my dad guess how long into their ‘coverage’ Carragher and Redknapp will bring up Liverpool or Neville about United, despite not one of them playing.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keown talked a lot about Everton's poor defensive set up because he was a defender, and defending is what he knows about. I found what he had to say very enlightening. It was also his turn to lead the discussion. That's about all there was to it! They were very complimentary about us. Too much of a persecution complex round here!

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Keown talked a lot about Everton's poor defensive set up because he was a defender, and defending is what he knows about. I found what he had to say very enlightening. It was also his turn to lead the discussion. That's about all there was to it! They were very complimentary about us. Too much of a persecution complex round here!
I agree. He also showed how our movement and pace caused them problems so put his discussion into context. At the end Dublin and GL say how well GON is doing and Dublin said we are a good watch.

We were on last because we’re not challenging for the title like AV and Man City. Luton are a story and Brentford Palace was actually a competitive game. Ours was very one sided.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I agree. He also showed how our movement and pace caused them problems so put his discussion into context. At the end Dublin and GL say how well GON is doing and Dublin said we are a good watch.

We were on last because we’re not challenging for the title like AV and Man City. Luton are a story and Brentford Palace was actually a competitive game. Ours was very one sided.
Exactly no impact on top or bottom really.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even if there isn't a bias element to MOTD, I find the fundamental format to be far from optimal. For the big billed games, both pundits tend to speak roughly equally, one representing each team. The further down the pecking order (in which Wolves seemingly find themselves win, lose, or draw), you might as well flip a coin as to whether both sides get discussed at all. If the Wolves-Everton game has been decreed a three minute pundit time slot, it would make sense for Keown to speak about Everton's defence for 90 seconds and Dublin about Wolves' attack for 90 seconds. Instead, we get the rather hoity-toity, "Ey, Wolves are doing alright aren't they?" "Oh yes, great." "I'm afraid we're out of time..."

That said, I would scale back punditry to the early Hansen-Lawrenson days and actually commit more time to, erm, the Football!

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Small club , don’t make me laugh

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What I found a shame about the defensive line talk was how they could have directly compared Everton's back five with ours in that game.

What an example of the shape they should have been using, look how ****ing good Kilman, Toti and the amazing Dawson are at it.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
I know there are exceptions, but in general MOTD don't seem to sway far off putting the games in numerical order of the number of goals. Late in the season obviously it becomes increasingly swayed by the importance of the game on either end of the table. The only one that bucked the norm last night was Man City. These days the coverage across the games is more even. Also feel free to a)not actually watch it (I actually watch more for the games I haven't already seen live!) or b) catch up later and fast forward.

Finch3d

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Have to admit I was surprised we was on last, for me man City v Shef should have been last... Oooo City beat em 2-0, big deal... even the comentry said the only exciting thing was seeing Kevin warming up...

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I felt yesterday, that the team gave it everything, for Mario. They had his back and wanted to show him how much he means to them, in a very difficult time for him.
We have our club back.

moseleyite

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Everton fan reaction - filmed whilst still in the ground. Contains LOTS and LOTS of swearing.

You have to feel for him as we have all been there plenty of times.

“You come to Wolves and expect to get something”

What precisely about our home form this year leads him to that conclusion? He’s a delusional ********.

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
Even if there isn't a bias element to MOTD, I find the fundamental format to be far from optimal. For the big billed games, both pundits tend to speak roughly equally, one representing each team. The further down the pecking order (in which Wolves seemingly find themselves win, lose, or draw), you might as well flip a coin as to whether both sides get discussed at all. If the Wolves-Everton game has been decreed a three minute pundit time slot, it would make sense for Keown to speak about Everton's defence for 90 seconds and Dublin about Wolves' attack for 90 seconds. Instead, we get the rather hoity-toity, "Ey, Wolves are doing alright aren't they?" "Oh yes, great." "I'm afraid we're out of time..."

That said, I would scale back punditry to the early Hansen-Lawrenson days and actually commit more time to, erm, the Football!
Agree with Jefe here.

Yes Gary and Dion were complimentary, but it was all a bit surface level, right? Didn't we do well, etc etc. Keown was begrudging about even mentioning us - I know he's a defender so he'll focus on that, but it all seemed to be about their errors rather than our good play. Why not discuss both? Oh yeah, because we were on last. Tough day to rank them, but as a neutral I think the City game was the least interesting.

I didn't lose sleep over it but when you stay up especially you sometimes want more than 'yeah Wolves were good'.

So that's why Keown was my pantomime villain of the day.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“You come to Wolves and expect to get something”. What precisely about our home form this year leads him to that conclusion? He’s a delusional ********.
Given that Everton have lost three out of their last six visits to Molineux, and only won once, I don't know why he would expect a result. This isn't exactly the first time we battered them on home soil. In fact, we've beaten them four times at Goodison, so I'm not sure what planet he's on, full stop. We're way up on head-to-heads.

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given that Everton have lost three out of their last six visits to Molineux, and only won once, I don't know why he would expect a result. This isn't exactly the first time we battered them on home soil. In fact, we've beaten them four times at Goodison, so I'm not sure what planet he's on, full stop.
If you think this fella is deluded, you should visit their forum!
Apparently, we're small time and tinpot and they're one of the Premier League establishment!!!
To be fair, there are a handful on there who are far more diplomatic and give us way more credit for the present and our past.

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I guess so, but it would have been nice if they'd looked at how well Hwang, Cunha and Sarabia had played, and the massive improvement there's been in chances created etc. Although that's more obvious/important to us Wolves fans... You're right, they did briefly say how GON was doing a good job.

Last edited:

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently, we're small time and tinpot and they're one of the Premier League establishment!!!
To be fair, there are a handful on there who are far more diplomatic and give us way more credit for the present and our past.
That's the SKY-loving post-1992 generation talking, most of whom know the square root of **** all about 'football in the olden days' as they often charmingly put it. A few of them do know, however, that we were (like them) founder members of the Football League, though we haven't won the top tier league as often as them (3 times to their 9) or the FA Cup as often (4 times to their 5), but we have won the league cup twice and they have never won it. In terms of history, we are in fact quite similar to them.

Last edited:

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's the SKY-loving post-1992 generation talking, most of whom know the square root of **** all about 'football in the olden days' as they often charmingly put it. A few of them do know, however, that we were (like them) founder members of the Football League, though we haven't won the league as often as them (3 times to their 9) or the FA Cup as often (4 times to their 5), but we have won the league cup twice and they have never won it.
There are one or two, seemingly older, more considered amongst them on there, who make the same points as yourself, BSK.
For balance, I've got many Everton supporting mates who are of a similar vintage to myself, and they all speak glowingly of us as a club, though they are ****ed off at their recent record against us. Lol

bully9

Reaction score
Small club , don’t make me laugh
I thought the same , I’ve never heard Wolves ever , been called a small club , we aye massive but on our day we can hold our own . Just remember for the Sherpa van we took over 50,000 for a small club that aye bad , we sell out all away tickets , so ****** to your small club

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
One MOTD consistent failing for me which applies to all teams is they often completely exclude parts of the game that were highlights and put in others that are less so.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The grand old team forum, its a good read. Funny too.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
That's the SKY-loving post-1992 generation talking, most of whom know the square root of **** all about 'football in the olden days' as they often charmingly put it. A few of them do know, however, that we were (like them) founder members of the Football League, though we haven't won the top tier league as often as them (3 times to their 9) or the FA Cup as often (4 times to their 5), but we have won the league cup twice and they have never won it. In terms of history, we are in fact quite similar to them.

Must be galling to them to have been one of the original Big 5 that drove the formation of the PL and now don't even register in what is effectively a Big 7. They've been lucky to even survive for years now, and I can't help feeling their ownership is a frying pan and fire situation, but maybe the new stadium will see them reborn though, great old club.

Dorbelflunk

Reaction score
No doubt there would be people who call themselves football fans who would give the same 'tin pot' response if Burnley, Sheffield or Notts Forest beat us, despite those teams all having storied histories.

Just a symptom of the modern game and the internet.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No doubt there would be people who call themselves football fans who would give the same 'tin pot' response if Burnley, Sheffield or Notts Forest beat us, despite those teams all having storied histories.

Just a symptom of the modern game and the internet.
Forest beating Man U is a good example. From the hysterical reaction you would think that Man U had lost to Chorley.
Like we did !

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Meaning we have less arm chair supporters than the super 6 sides. Sky love showing northern and London clubs due to most of their subscribers are from. Big deal, wim a sleeping giant and we are about to wake up and crush everyone.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It has nothing to, do with fanbase, but money and influence. Nobody was prioritising Newcastle, until they got taken over by their rich owners.
I have lived outside the Midlands most of my life and have never met a football fan, who knows anything about football call Wolves a small club. Indeed many including many in the media business, called us sleeping giants, before we got promoted

Last edited:

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This is why Everton fans make me laugh. I remember visiting their forum in the Covid summer after we beat them 3-0, Jota getting the winner. There was much frothing, and outrage about being "schooled by a team like Wolves" and how we should enjoy our flicker of triumph because we'd disappear into oblivion again within a couple of years. It might have been fair enough to think that back then, but that sense of entitlement continues, despite the evidence.

In the five seasons we've been back in the top flight before this year, we've finished above them in four of them. Last six games against them, we've won 5 and drawn 1; overall in 12 games since being back we've won 7 to their 3, with 2 draws. It's almost 30 years since they last won the FA Cup, 40 years since winning the league. Their only claim to fame in recent times is never having been relegated, and they had to break the rules to achieve that statistic. They basically had to cheat to just "not be as **** as Norwich".

A spell in the Championship would do them the world of good, because there's no harm in having it hammered home - like it has been for us, for Forest, for Leeds, for Sunderland, for Bolton, for Villa - that being a grand old club doesn't mean you're automatically better than 'upstart' clubs like Brighton or Brentford or Bournemouth. You have to earn it. Any Everton fan who thinks "Ah, we should be beating Wolves" has their head firmly up their ****.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Laughable really. All down to Everton’s failure to implement a back 3, rather than any active efforts on our part to destroy them
TBF the comms on the stream I watched said that we were both playing 3-4-3 but that we were doing it so much better than Everton. Something to do with distances between players apparently !

Back
Top Bottom