Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

MoTD tonight

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
They’re very thin skinned aren’t they?

I watched MOTD (well fell asleep but watched the Sunday repeat), and the commentator said it would be a famous Bournemouth win because they were 2-0 down with not much time left and nearly came back to win. And Gary Lineker didn’t do anything different with GO’N than the manager he interviews every week. Ask about the game, ask about a particular player, ask about the season.

They’re an odd bunch the Bournemouth fans.
They are quite funny obviously bitter about how well Gary is doing

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
There must be some sort of behind the scenes agreement surely. They've shown the Newcastle game first and done quite a long and interesting analysis of it, but completely failed to discuss the ridiculous VAR decision that completely changed the game.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There must be some sort of behind the scenes agreement surely. They've shown the Newcastle game first and done quite a long and interesting analysis of it, but completely failed to discuss the ridiculous VAR decision that completely changed the game.

This is a particularly poor MOTD in my view. It was ridiculous that they didn’t even mention that decision. Yet later they took the time to review the disputed Chelsea one. As for our game, not a single word about us.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
This is a particularly poor MOTD in my view. It was ridiculous that they didn’t even mention that decision. Yet later they took the time to review the disputed Chelsea one. As for our game, not a single word about us.
Yes, although the last bit is one of the few positives.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, although the last bit is one of the few positives.

I don’t know. I’m sanguine about the defeat tonight. We played better than I expected given our injuries, and had good chances to get something out of the game. Even the stats back up the scoreline was flattering to Villa. We didn’t pick up any new injuries, which is a bonus, and I think the next two games are more important in trying to secure a European spot.

Asthmatic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was a Sky Sports match where Martin Tyler literally said that they’d been asked to re-enforce PGMOLs perspective on VAR by them, pre game. I was shocked when I heard it but there is absolutely a degree of external editorial ‘influence’ at times (the MOTD team generally q good at calling out VAR).

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I don’t know. I’m sanguine about the defeat tonight. We played better than I expected given our injuries, and had good chances to get something out of the game. Even the stats back up the scoreline was flattering to Villa. We didn’t pick up any new injuries, which is a bonus, and I think the next two games are more important in trying to secure a European spot.
Yes, nothing I saw today makes me travel to Burnley with any optimism though, and having watched West Ham I think they might take us to pieces.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was a Sky Sports match where Martin Tyler literally said that they’d been asked to re-enforce PGMOLs perspective on VAR by them, pre game. I was shocked when I heard it but there is absolutely a degree of external editorial ‘influence’ at times (the MOTD team generally q good at calling out VAR).

That does sound dodgy. I didn't know that, but have noticed several times recently, commentators "gaslighting" what we are actually seeing in those slow motion replays. They will be saying "definitely contact" as the replay is showing no contact at all. I've mentioned it here a couple of times.

Soon only officially sanctioned results will be broadcast. We'll wake up tomorrow and find that Man Utd beat Brentford 2-1. It will be like the Twilight Zone and everyone you ask "but didn't it finish 1-1?" will say "no, you must have missed that late Man U winner the commentator told us about".

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That does sound dodgy. I didn't know that, but have noticed several times recently, commentators "gaslighting" what we are actually seeing in those slow motion replays. They will be saying "definitely contact" as the replay is showing no contact at all. I've mentioned it here a couple of times.

Soon only officially sanctioned results will be broadcast. We'll wake up tomorrow and find that Man Utd beat Brentford 2-1. It will be like the Twilight Zone and everyone you ask "but didn't it finish 1-1?" will say "no, you must have missed that late Man U winner the commentator told us about".
Unfortunately ex players will always back up current players for their pathetic gamesmanship and cheating.

Watfordfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Was Alan Shearer on the production team ?

He was very certain it was a penalty - naturally !

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m just relieved we have all these injuries, now we are safe from relegation.

If the injury situation we are in now, was halfway through the season, I fear relegation would have been a very serious possibility.

Surely, Jeff must learn from the joke of a situation we are in and do something about it in the summer.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m just relieved we have all these injuries, now we are safe from relegation.

If the injury situation we are in now, was halfway through the season, I fear relegation would have been a very serious possibility.

Surely, Jeff must learn from the joke of a situation we are in and do something about it in the summer.
It beggars belief that Jeff is actually still in a job.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Verdict of Lineker, Wright and Dublin was unanimous and damning: an absolutely shocking decision to rule out Kilman's goal. Gary obviously couldn't care less about a fine as he again repeated it was terrible, the worst decision he had ever seen. Let's see what Webb says and does, if anything.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dragged myself to watch MOTD tonight, basically to hear what they had to say about Kilmans disallowed goal.

I thought the decision was nothing but scandalous and Lineker, Dion Dublin and Ian Wright agreed.

Wrighty’s final words were ‘Gutted for you, Wolves’.

When I looked at the slomo replay from numerous angles, I cannot for the life of me understand why the goal was disallowed, apparently for offside, or whatever other reason.

Chirewa was not interfering with play and he was definitely not interfering with Fabianski, who had no problem in moving to save the header when it entered the net.

Wonder if Howard Webb will crawl out of the woodwork with another apology or back the system that is ruining football and the referees that cost people’s livelihoods!

I just don’t understand most of the rules anymore.

Last edited:

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Dragged myself to watch MOTD tonight, basically to hear what they had to say about Kilmans disallowed goal.

I thought it was nothing but scandalous and Lineker, Dion Dublin and Ian Wright agreed.

When I looked at the slomo replay from numerous angles, I cannot for the life of me understand why the goal was disallowed, apparently for offside, or whatever other reason.

Chirewa was not interfering with play and he was definitely not interfering with Fabianski, who had no problem in moving to save the header when it entered the net.

Wonder if Howard Webb will crawl out of the woodwork with another apology or back the system that is ruining football and the referees that cost people’s livelihoods!

They like everyone else in Football except for IFAB and PGMOL, are saying these idiots are ruining the game for the sake of VAR.

There’s only one solution to get rid of it, but Lineker himself came up with an off the cuff suggestion of appeals but Wrighty pointed those idiots would still be making the decision.

Short of picketing VAR HQ I’m not sure what could be done.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They like everyone else in Football except for IFAB and PGMOL, are saying these idiots are ruining the game for the sake of VAR.

There’s only one solution to get rid of it, but Lineker himself came up with an off the cuff suggestion of appeals but Wrighty pointed those idiots would still be making the decision.

Short of picketing VAR HQ I’m not sure what could be done.
A drone strike on Stockley Park might be one solution.....

Hazza

Reaction score

I thought the decision was nothing but scandalous and Lineker, Dion Dublin and Ian Wright agreed.

I agree with all this and would add it also ruins people’s dreams. We could/should be pushing for Europe and who would t want another go at that after the excellent COVID interrupted season last time.

My lad is 13 now, was 8/9 before so is now old enough to take and what memories we’d get.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Verdict of Lineker, Wright and Dublin was unanimous and damning: an absolutely shocking decision to rule out Kilman's goal. Gary obviously couldn't care less about a fine as he again repeated it was terrible, the worst decision he had ever seen. Let's see what Webb says and does, if anything.

They excused away the Joao Gomes pen with ****housery….. despite showing an almost identical incident against Arsenal that wasn’t given.

There needs to be public pressure for that clown to resign!!

He did the same media tour when he was in the MLS and they thought it was crap too…….

He now has the exposure and media attention he always wanted.

We go after Mike Dean, but at least he retired into the media, Howard Webb has pushed on and is actually killing the love of the game and driving the standard of referees further down than when he started and the bar was set so low only a baby could crawl under it!!

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with all this and would add it also ruins people’s dreams. We could/should be pushing for Europe and who would t want another go at that after the excellent COVID interrupted season last time.

My lad is 13 now, was 8/9 before so is now old enough to take and what memories we’d get.
2050 it is then….

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There’s only one solution to get rid of it, but Lineker himself came up with an off the cuff suggestion of appeals...
I hate VAR with a passion, but IF we have to have it then surely an 'appeals' procedure is the only way to go.
Its noticeable that in almost all of the contentious VAR calls that we have suffered there have rarely been any complaints from the opposition players. From Jonny's heel at Anfield, Pedro Neto's toe-nails, Toti's Anfield 'winner' to Chirewa's standing in the 6 yard box (I could go on) not a single opposition player complained. If the players are happy with the decision why does VAR need to get involved - to establish some factual precision that nobody needs or wants ?
But if this is the way to go there must be a limited no. of appeals allowed -say 2 per team per match - the check must be rapid, say 30 seconds max. otherwise the very appeal of the sport - its dynamic- will be lost.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I hate VAR with a passion, but IF we have to have it then surely an 'appeals' procedure is the only way to go.
Its noticeable that in almost all of the contentious VAR calls that we have suffered there have rarely been any complaints from the opposition players. From Jonny's heel at Anfield, Pedro Neto's toe-nails, Toti's Anfield 'winner' to Chirewa's standing in the 6 yard box (I could go on) not a single opposition player complained. If the players are happy with the decision why does VAR need to get involved - to establish some factual precision that nobody needs or wants ?
But if this is the way to go there must be a limited no. of appeals allowed -say 2 per team per match - the check must be rapid, say 30 seconds max. otherwise the very appeal of the sport - its dynamic- will be lost.
Trouble with appeals is it would still be the same idiots making the decisions.

Reaction score
But the officials or someone in the stand will be making the decision and we know that PGMOL will NEVER put the interests of the sport over themselves.

Nobody holds PGMOL to account. They are corrupt to the core.

It’s no longer a sport is an orchestrated event for television. AT least Wrestling doesn’t try and hide it. Thats where we are heading.

The Premier League will collapse one day. Hope it’s in my lifetime.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They won’t over rule their mate in the middle!

They will if anything tighten up as unit and double down until the end of time!
Yep, knowing that they’ll get the same favour from their mates when they’re reffing the following week.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But the officials or someone in the stand will be making the decision and we know that PGMOL will NEVER put the interests of the sport over themselves.

Nobody holds PGMOL to account. They are corrupt to the core.

It’s no longer a sport is an orchestrated event for television. AT least Wrestling doesn’t try and hide it. Thats where we are heading.

The Premier League will collapse one day. Hope it’s in my lifetime.
Hate it tho' I do, I'm pretty sure VAR is here to stay. The question then is how to minimise its impact on the sport. After that comes the question of who is going to be involved in its functioning. Its time PGMOL was scrapped and rethought.

Reaction score
Hate it tho' I do, I'm pretty sure VAR is here to stay. The question then is how to minimise its impact on the sport. After that comes the question of who is going to be involved in its functioning. It’s time PGMOL was scrapped and rethought.
Surely the Regulator needs to investigate. It is so obvious what they do that the only conclusion is that PGMOL is in bed with the top teams and not fit for purpose.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
..... the only conclusion is that PGMOL is in bed with the top teams and not fit for purpose.
I dunno. Over the years we've had terrible decisions against us when playing the likes of Sheff Utd, Fulham, Forest, Burnley, Leicester, WHU, so its not exclusively in favour of the Big/Sky 6/7.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
VAR needs to be an independent body away from PGMOL. A review team, rather than a match Official constructed of previous referees or linesmen, with previous players and trained up fans.

The decision process needs to be final, not an advisory capacity to the onfield ref, if a decision is wrong (not clear and obvious, just wrong) it can be overturned.

And it needs to be open an transparent to the fans in attendance, mic'd up and on the screen.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I dunno. Over the years we've had terrible decisions against us when playing the likes of Sheff Utd, Fulham, Forest, Burnley, Leicester, WHU, so its not exclusively in favour of the Big/Sky 6/7.
All decisions that aided in the prevention of us breaking into a higher European space.

I still maintain Docs handball against Burnley when protecting himself from potential decapitation was THE moment that curtailed us from potential Champions League.

Willywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Id be hugely surprised if there were to be an apology come from Howard Webb on this one. Only reason being that the letter of the law suggests Chirewa was offside - obviously it’s subject to interpretation as to whether Fabianski could see the ball.

IMO, and the opinion of thousands of others (including pundits and former pro footballers), Fabianski did see enough of it and was not impeded by Chirewa’s position. However, Webb will defend his mates and say their subjective view was that the keeper’s view was blocked, which is massively dubious given the lack of conclusive evidence either way.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Id be hugely surprised if there were to be an apology come from Howard Webb on this one. Only reason being that the letter of the law suggests Chirewa was offside - obviously it’s subject to interpretation as to whether Fabianski could see the ball.

IMO, and the opinion of thousands of others (including pundits and former pro footballers), Fabianski did see enough of it and was not impeded by Chirewa’s position. However, Webb will defend his mates and say their subjective view was that the keeper’s view was blocked, which is massively dubious given the lack of conclusive evidence either way.
Unfortunately I think you’re right, but will prove GON correct in people with a low understanding of the game. Having played badly as a keeper a few times, there’s no way you can save that, Kilman heads it inside the 6 yard box, he’s headed it into the corner, laws of motion tell you a human can’t move that distance that quick. Hes not impeded because it’s IMPOSSIBLE for him to save it, whether Chiwera is there or not

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be interesting to see ref watch tomorrow morning and the All mic’d up programme as well

Ches78

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
VAR just needs to be scrapped, unless it can somehow be limited in scope to avoiding massive howlers, on the scale of Maradona handball etc. It shouldn't get involved in subjective issues or offside calls. The game should be left, wherever possible, to the onfield officials. I watched a couple of Championship games last week over Easter and it was so much better watching and enjoying the match without expecting VAR to review and potentially intervene every time a goal goes in or something happens in the box.

Back
Top Bottom