Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Brighton verdict

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dawson gets in before Bueno every game imho . Think of all the forwards he's dealt with so far this season .
It wouldn't be Dawson who would make way for Santi, would be Toti. I'm talking next season by the way, not this one. Hypothetically.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Quarter final at Molineux
I’ve no doubt the stay awayers tonight will be back for the big match
Guilty mate! I'm in Sheffield so night games are a pain in the **** driving down, not drinking then getting back via Bloxwich in the dark - I go to most pm league games but only because of the season ticket (although I did go to the Brentford game, but got back at 1am then had work at 8, which put me off tonight). If I had it my way I'd just go to games I can get to on the train.

But yeah, even if the QF was in the week I'd make the effort and find the money. I think there's a fair few like me. Us glory chasers will be there in force vs Cov... come on me babbies!

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'd call it ffp rather than penny pinching.
Disagree this time. You don't try and sign ekitike or the Brazilian fella at all if there's no money. Accept that it is an issue but you aren't in for those players if there isn't funds.
A bit boy who cried wolf. Small squad, small squad, small squad eventually it wears thin.
Kieffer Moore went to Ipswich on half his wage. His name is like asbestos to fans at wolves but would of done a job (45mins instead of an unfit hwang today is all we needed).
Accept times in the past we've been told that we only want those that improve the group but that is just not the case this time as the first team are set and absolutely brilliant. We needed bodies to cover.

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
Went pretty much as expected.. Brighton dominate possession without really troubling us, we get fleeting opportunities on the break and we took one of them.

As mentioned, the potential injuries are a worry and I hope both Hwang and Gomes aren't too bad. But I'm not worried one bit about Tommy Doyle coming in for Gomes. They are different types of player, but both are very effective at what they do. Doyle was MOTM for me tonight, love the kid.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well we didn't so.........

Let's see what we do in the summer eh?
Thats exactly the point though, these opportunities don't come round in the summer and altogether too often. You have to take the chance when it's there.
We have a first eleven that can do that so let's hope it's the case.
Just really don't want it to be a case of what could of been.

Reaction score
Great performance tonight, not easy playing that lot, their intensity in the press is quite impressive tbf. Horrible to play against.

Santi Bueno was great.
Toti and Kilman too. Usual high standard

Also though Doc had a great game. Cut out the cross field switch countless times tonight.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Results against the odds at the min with the injuries up top…..

Any more threadbare up top we will be naming an u16 on the bench as a striker to support the squad…..

Fatigue is going to be massive, whoever thought we could rely on an injury prone hwang and a just returned Neto after two years of injury hell, honestly needs sacking!

As this isn’t the line Gary said again recently he was told, let sasa go, a striker comes in. Sasa went, no one came in…..

**** poor yet again, why oh why do we like to handicap ourselves?

The lads fought hard, Gary set the lads up
Well and they never really threatened for all the possession.

But for gods sake Jeff…… build a squad and support a manager and the players we have! Set them up for success!

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
Disagree this time. You don't try and sign ekitike or the Brazilian fella at all if there's no money. Accept that it is an issue but you aren't in for those players if there isn't funds.
A bit boy who cried wolf. Small squad, small squad, small squad eventually it wears thin.
Kieffer Moore went to Ipswich on half his wage. His name is like asbestos to fans at wolves but would of done a job (45mins instead of an unfit hwang today is all we needed).
Accept times in the past we've been told that we only want those that improve the group but that is just not the case this time as the first team are set and absolutely brilliant. We needed bodies to cover.
Pretty sure Kieffer Moore would have been cup tied

TheWolfFromWolverhampton

Reaction score
Good performance. We were the better team, despite they had more possession, yet, in the final third. They couldn't capitalise. We had them pinned in defence. I would say that performance was good. Every one was on the same page, every one was talking. The tactics were spot on. Notes written were going out there, Gary was very vocal on the touchline. A very proactive performance.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Excellent result when we were far from our best. Unfortunately Hwang injury looks like it was a bad one, I just really home João Gomes is ok.
Hwang is a player, that if ANYONE comes calling in the summer, we should sell. He's a good player, but never healthy. And he'll likely never be worth more than this year.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So glad we took full advantage of the kindest quarter final draw we could have had, although Coventry won’t be easy for sure.
What a season this is turning out to be, with our beloved team constantly exceeding expectations.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A great night results-wise, with the kindest QF draw we could get, served-up Coventry at home. That was followed by our fastest goal of the season from a delightful turn, run and cross by Bellegarde, a late Christmas gift from Steele and a second-time finish from Lemina.
After that, it was a backs-to-the-wall job where we dug-in and for all Brighton's possession (78%), they rarely forced Sa to make a save. Second half injuries to Hwang, Lemina and Gomes have put a dampener on the result, but winning in the cup is all that matters, although it would be nice to have a performance to match, rather than looking like a L1 side which we have done in the last two matches.
However, when the dust settles, it'll be Wolves that gets to face Coventry at home, rather than Brighton.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Brighton dominated possession without any penetration. We always looked very comfortable tbh.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What disappointed me was not the performance, but the reaction when the team was announced. People saying O’Neil wasn’t interested in the cup and had thrown the game away. After how this season has gone, hasn’t Gary O’Neil done enough to have the fans understand and support the decisions he makes. He doesn’t get everything right, who does, but he should have enough credit in the bank to avoid criticism when he rotates players.

Well done Gary and his coaching staff. Now the medical team have got to patch players up for a game on Saturday.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
What disappointed me was not the performance, but the reaction when the team was announced. People saying O’Neil wasn’t interested in the cup and had thrown the game away. After how this season has gone, hasn’t Gary O’Neil done enough to have the fans understand and support the decisions he makes. He doesn’t get everything right, who does, but he should have enough credit in the bank to avoid criticism when he rotates players.

Well done Gary and his coaching staff. Now the medical team have got to patch players up for a game on Saturday.
I agree. I think hindsight is great but actually having Neto and Sarabia to bring on to take a bit of pressure off was great. I think subs are becoming more and more important in football, and with a lot of tired players thought Gary just about got it right.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We won ugly and sometimes the best teams have to do that look at Man City in recent weeks.

If we can get past coventry, one of the big boys will await us. Semi final or final still another big achievement this group have really pulled together in tight numbers. Nuno style

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The long and short of it is this season is exceeding all our wildest expectations. Throw in a completely unforeseen bond between fans and manager and playing staff just to ramp it up another level.

We are as a minimum one short up top and ultimately I think that may prove our undoing, but in the meantime let’s just all enjoy the ride.

Ended up coming down last minute in the end for the game yesterday, so glad I did. The scenes at the end are what football is all about. Absolutely loving it at the minute and already stressing about how 1. I get a semi ticket, and 2. I tell the Mrs the daughters 7th birthday party will have to go ahead without me on 20th April.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We won ugly and sometimes the best teams have to do that look at Man City in recent weeks.

If we can get past coventry, one of the big boys will await us. Semi final or final still another big achievement this group have really pulled together in tight numbers. Nuno style
Was gutted when city got drawn at home, as would have given Newcastle half a chance at St James.

It’s feasible IF we get through it could be United or Chelsea in a semi, just as much chance that as there is it being City or Liverpool.

For me it’s ABC. Anyone But City.

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
Hwang is a player, that if ANYONE comes calling in the summer, we should sell. He's a good player, but never healthy. And he'll likely never be worth more than this year.
Agreed mate which makes it so frustrating because he shows glimpses of absolute quality at times. Clearly a confidence player but for me he was never fit enough to play last night…looked sluggish and off it from kick off and was rubbing his hamstring at kick off second half so the writing was on the wall.

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good professional performance last night. We are never going to have much of the ball against Brighton but other than the keeper at the death I don’t recall them having to many other clear chances. Please let’s go on now and beat Coventry as the weekend of the semi finals I’m in Lanzarote and love watching Wolves when abroad.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Small margins! I thought he had rotated too much and said in the match thread that I thought it would cost us. But (with hindsight!) he got it spot on. Bringing on Neto when we were a bit under the cosh relieved the pressure. Keeping Semedo and Dawson in reserve till the end helped the defence when they were tiring. Well done Gary!

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
Anyone complaining about the female commentator clearly hasn't endured Lee 'Nayls-down-a-blackboard-or' on Mikey Burrows' podcast. Clueless and can barely string a sentence together.
But thats not the point.

He’s not being employed by the BBC to give his expert analysis,

I don’t think it ruins everyones experience of a Wolves win, nothing can. The point is that yet again there is someone employed who simply is not up to the job and not being recruited for being good at that job.

The most journalists do their groundwork and put in the hard yards at local level broadcasters and truly have to earn the right to get on BBC, many will never make it.

People are being quotered in because they are female, and Lionesses, not because they have earned the right in their chosen profession.

It’s the same with cricket. Finish playing at female International level, which is an appaling standard, and walk into a job on Test Match Special. Good journalists have had to work for many years to acheive this.

Human nature and work culture makes it unpleasant for the vast majority when we see people not being recruited on merit.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was £25 where I sit. Obviously you choose pricier seats.

Seriously, you want them to give away quarter final tickets? Give it a rest.

I didn't say that did I. I simply asked how much people thought it would be, so wind your neck in

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Incredibly Coventry 1973 was 17th March !

Just watched the semi too. Bremner was the original obnoxious little weed wasn’t he

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It wouldn't be Dawson who would make way for Santi, would be Toti. I'm talking next season by the way, not this one. Hypothetically.

To have potentially 4 really good and young-ish CB's next season in Toti, Kilman, Santi and Mosquera is a great position for the longer term. For a combined cost of what, 15m or so?

Back
Top Bottom