Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sheffield Utd verdict

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What couple of penalties?

We got one pen via Neto this season that was questionable, but was still more of a pen than some of them given against us as there was actually contact…..

The whole poibt of the matter is THE PLAYER WASNT INJURED!!!!

He faked cramp to stop us!! It wasn’t about time wasting, it was about stopping momentum and us scoring! Their defenders did actually play on! They also ran back to their line and the look they gave their keeper after it was was very angry, so they didn’t expect us to stop.

We should have scored… end of! They cheated us yet again!!

Don’t forget Newcastle scored against us when sa the keeper! The one who saves the goals was injured and the media and ex players said you play to the whistle!

They kicked us around yesterday and cheap fouls the ref didn’t deal with all afternoon and you feel we owe them to stop when they faked an injury to stop us playing as they were caught short? They cheated yet again! Second time this season they cheated in a significant moment that impacts the game.
The couple of penalties were against Brentford and United. We would have been furious if they'd gone the other way

I know it's futile to argue with you as you're the type of chap to stride up a hill to die on it, but the whole situation came from their own player playing a backpass and the keeper trying to put it out. We never at any point from the player signalling he was injured have control of the ball

It's one of football's unwritten rules that you don't take advantage of such a situation. Just like you always give the opposing team the ball back if they put it out to stop play

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sheff Utd clearly lack some quality, particularly going forward, but they deserved at least a point yesterday tbh. Thought we were very poor and miles off it for most of the game in all honesty. We can’t have offered up many worse halves of football than that second half this season?

Some of the misplaced passes, miscontrols and just hoofing the ball into the air were almost comedy at times. We looked so nervous throughout, and especially when the crowd started to get frustrated, but you could hardly really blame them tbqh? We are capable of, and should expect, much better really?

Thought Ahmedozovic and Mcatee looked quite decent for them. The latter in particular could be worth a look in the summer? Doesn’t have a great deal to work with at present and looks like he could be quite useful with some quality around him?

Thought Sarabia was 100% right to put the ball out for them too tbh

Last edited:

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The couple of penalties were against Brentford and United. We would have been furious if they'd gone the other way

I know it's futile to argue with you as you're the type of chap to stride up a hill to die on it, but the whole situation came from their own player playing a backpass and the keeper trying to put it out. We never at any point from the player signalling he was injured have control of the ball

It's one of football's unwritten rules that you don't take advantage of such a situation. Just like you always give the opposing team the ball back if they put it out to stop play

I would agree with you if the player was injured or it was a head injury. So we have a line of agreement I don’t think you see in my post.

Those pens are pens in the modern game and had contact that under VAR were upheld, their one got a full blown apology from Howard Webb!!! Levels of difference.

But the issue is he wasn’t injured or a head injury, it was “gamesmanship” that is as close to cheating as you can get! Players stay down to stop a dangerous team benefit from a counter and that is what he did!

So one hand you would be 100% correct, but on this one, you have fallen for a piece of badly executed gamesmanship

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would agree with you if the player was injured or it was a head injury. So we have a line of agreement I don’t think you see in my post.

Those pens are pens in the modern game and had contact that under VAR were upheld, their one got a full blown apology from Howard Webb!!! Levels of difference.

But the issue is he wasn’t injured or a head injury, it was “gamesmanship” that is as close to cheating as you can get! Players stay down to stop a dangerous team benefit from a counter and that is what he did!

So one hand you would be 100% correct, but on this one, you have fallen for a piece of badly executed gamesmanship
We weren't on a ****ing counter attack when the keeper made the decision to put it out! How in God's name is that cheating?

92WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I love Ran but what position is he playing? It seems like he can roam where he wants.

Think that was part or the plan. His average position basically had him playing CM. Probably due to Neto playing wide left they would of got in each other's way. Maybe it also due to Sheff Utd having more bodies in the centre than us too. IDK I'm not tactical genius haha. Thought RAN had a good game though.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought we were actually very good in the first half. Second half we were poor.
On these occasions I think people have a tendency to only clearly remember the latter part of the match and be overly critical (works the other way round too).

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No he didn’t . Read his comments after the match he was as disappointed as all of us . It happens sometimes ask Man City las night
I have my explanation now. It just happens .

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We weren't on a ****ing counter attack when the keeper made the decision to put it out! How in God's name is that cheating?

You are correct, we weren’t on the counter. My dyslexia didn’t help me there…. What I meant to say is players stay down to stop counter attacks. I explain what he was doing in our case below.

He wasn’t injured and he was under pressure and screwed up putting the ball out.

He wasn’t injured, wasn’t a head injury….. it is gamesmanship and cheating. None of their other players put the ball out so play on in line with the laws of the game.

It is cheating because you are faking an injury to break up the game and gain an advantage. He didn’t even cramp! Faking injury to break up play is cheating

You play to the whistle and I bet you any money they would have scored it if they had the chance offered to them.

Happens multiple times a season, players know when the opponent is pulling a fast one to stop play and break momentum so they keep playing.

They did it to break up the momentum and pressure that was building at that time, sorry but if you aren’t injured you don’t stop the game end of story!

They were the better side second half and should have put them to bed, let alone they were kicking us around and pulling players off their feet all afternoon that the ref didn’t deal with. They didn’t deserve any sense of extra help from us, they were kicking lumps out of us

I hate it when hwang does it and I hated it when podence did it….. you fake an injury to stop play, you deserve to be punished if it arises as you not only tried to cheat the oppo you cheated your team mates by not trying to play in the game and effectively making them play a man down for no reason.

It is top level sport, you take everything offered if it is within the laws, he wasn’t injured, play on it is fair game!

He was cheating the system and we rewarded it as he got to break up and slow the game down which is exactly what he wanted to do and did! And we rewarded him for doing it allowing them to stop the game and get all their men behind the ball again so we couldnt utilise the space available in that phase of play and would get the ball back when they kick it from our own half with 11 men behind the ball.

Think bigger picture mate….. was done to change the course of the next few phases of play, not just the imediate moment. Moments like that and thinking like that to explain the system are why some play at the top level and others don’t as plying at the top level is all about playing on the edge and finding ways to go past them and win without getting caught, that is a sad statement but it is true.

topcat99

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair enough.
So much about the game has changed in my life I cling on to the hope that “fair play” still means something even though I understand others may think me misguided or naive

I was quite impressed with our “fair play” until I saw that the bloke just had cramp and not anything serious.
Should have played on as play was interrupted for no reason

Goalkeeper was an idiot for not putting it into Row Z anyway

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I See that Kilman and Dawson have come in for some flak after yesterday. Seemed a bit mass-hysteria of our own making in the defence second half yesterday. Only Sa seemed to remain calm. However we did keep a clean sheet, and did Sheff United really have any great chances?

The problem we had yesterday was the intent and attitude, summed up by Ait-Nouri second half. Every time he got the ball he seemed to have no intention of going forward, kept passing it back without even assessing his forward options, and passing it about in a really languid almost arrogant way - losing possession a few times too. A few were playing like that, could only be instructions from the manager?

Obviously you can only do that for a while before the opposition pick up the incentive and get the press on in the midfield.
We possibly might have been doing some self-preservation energy saving tactics to help us Wednesday, but seemed a bit risky on a 1 goal lead (particularly as we have a habit as others have said about being 'Charity FC')

However, well done on the 3 points and 8th place in the league.

Bring on Brighton!

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We werent on a counter they had the ball,and decided to kick it out just not hard enough
Sarabia did the morally right thing and kicked it out
You can argue it wasnt a head injury just cramp if i recall but it happens a lot,had we got the ball and were attacking i would say carry on its up to the ref to stop the game,but we didnt so totally correct decision

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We werent on a counter they had the ball,and decided to kick it out just not hard enough
Sarabia did the morally right thing and kicked it out
You can argue it wasnt a head injury just cramp if i recall but it happens a lot,had we got the ball and were attacking i would say carry on its up to the ref to stop the game,but we didnt so totally correct decision

You don’t stop for cramp! If he even had it at all…. He screamed when he got bumped in the air…. He was trying to con a pen from Dawson then stayed down….

Bloke was outrageously cheating!

Cramp is the way people cheat the system to stop getting a card from the ref for “simulation” and cheating to get a perceived advantage.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are correct, we weren’t on the counter. My dyslexia didn’t help me there…. What I meant to say is players stay down to stop counter attacks. I explain what he was doing in our case below.

He wasn’t injured and he was under pressure and screwed up putting the ball out.

He wasn’t injured, wasn’t a head injury….. it is gamesmanship and cheating. None of their other players put the ball out so play on in line with the laws of the game.

It is cheating because you are faking an injury to break up the game and gain an advantage. He didn’t even cramp! Faking injury to break up play is cheating

You play to the whistle and I bet you any money they would have scored it if they had the chance offered to them.

Happens multiple times a season, players know when the opponent is pulling a fast one to stop play and break momentum so they keep playing.

They did it to break up the momentum and pressure that was building at that time, sorry but if you aren’t injured you don’t stop the game end of story!

They were the better side second half and should have put them to bed, let alone they were kicking us around and pulling players off their feet all afternoon that the ref didn’t deal with. They didn’t deserve any sense of extra help from us, they were kicking lumps out of us

I hate it when hwang does it and I hated it when podence did it….. you fake an injury to stop play, you deserve to be punished if it arises as you not only tried to cheat the oppo you cheated your team mates by not trying to play in the game and effectively making them play a man down for no reason.

It is top level sport, you take everything offered if it is within the laws, he wasn’t injured, play on it is fair game!

He was cheating the system and we rewarded it as he got to break up and slow the game down which is exactly what he wanted to do and did! And we rewarded him for doing it allowing them to stop the game and get all their men behind the ball again so we couldnt utilise the space available in that phase of play and would get the ball back when they kick it from our own half with 11 men behind the ball.

Think bigger picture mate….. was done to change the course of the next few phases of play, not just the imediate moment. Moments like that and thinking like that to explain the system are why some play at the top level and others don’t as plying at the top level is all about playing on the edge and finding ways to go past them and win without getting caught, that is a sad statement but it is true.
Charity United strikes again, but in a different form. :rolleyes:

I like it that some form of sportsmanship still exists in the game, but also accept your argument that Souza (and others) use an injury as an excuse to break up play.
Head 'injuries' are a cheats' charter for sure and referees are in a difficult position, stopping play more often than not, despite most knowing that there hasn't been any or hardly any contact with a players head.
Souza just had cramp and in this case, the referee didn't see it necessary to stop play and Wolves should have played to the whistle. Their keeper was trying to put the ball out and had he done so, we'd have had a throw in the attacking third. The fact was, he under-played the ball and Sarabia picked it up. He should have continued to attack.
Luckily, the incident didn't have an effect on the outcome, but it could have!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Charity United strikes again, but in a different form. :rolleyes:

I like it that some form of sportsmanship still exists in the game, but also accept your argument that Souza (and others) use an injury as an excuse to break up play.
Head 'injuries' are a cheats' charter for sure and referees are in a difficult position, stopping play more often than not, despite most knowing that there hasn't been any or hardly any contact with a players head.
Souza just had cramp and in this case, the referee didn't see it necessary to stop play and Wolves should have played to the whistle. Their keeper was trying to put the ball out and had he done so, we'd have had a throw in the attacking third. The fact was he under-played the ball and Sarabia pick it up. He should have continued to attack.
Luckily, the incident didn't have an effect on the outcome, but it could have!

People need to go back and look at the media reaction and support of when Newcastle scored against us when Sa was actually injured…..

We would have been supported in the media 100% as it was cramp! For us to look the villains the lad would had to have been subbed and I am certain they would t have done it with their actual injury problems

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You don’t stop for cramp! If he even had it at all…. He screamed when he got bumped in the air…. He was trying to con a pen from Dawson then stayed down….

Cramp is the way people cheat the system to stop getting a card from the ref for “simulation” and cheating to get a perceived advantage.
The point is he was still down and they had the ball so they made the decision to kick it out just not hard enough we just finished the job
You can call it "outrageous cheating" if you like but we do it as much as anyone else
Hwang is a prime example,even Lemina yesterday went down clutching his head when it was obviously not a severe enough contact to do so

Olivergoldblack

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
The point is he was still down and they had the ball so they made the decision to kick it out just not hard enough we just finished the job
You can call it "outrageous cheating" if you like but we do it as much as anyone else
Hwang is a prime example,even Lemina yesterday went down clutching his head when it was obviously not a severe enough contact to do so
Yeah with Hwang, you can see why they do it. We've had 2 great examples of this scenario this season.
Scenario 1. Hwang gets head-butted v Bournemouth away, goes down like he's been shot. Red card, we win the game
Scenario 2. Kilman gets head-butted v Fulham away, doesn't flinch because he's well ard. No Red card, we lose the game.

Reaction score
I was not surprised at all with how the match panned out. In many ways it was very similar to the Burnley and Forest games earlier in the season and I think we may in for at least couple more of these in the coming months as only Arsenal are likely to come to Molineux and attack us. We, therefore, have to find a way to conquer these teams but, in previous years, we would probably have lost yesterday so we have to take the positives.

First half we were very patient and played on the front foot. That did mean, however, we played with a high line and Sheff U tried to exploit that, and Dawson's lack of pace, on a few occasions.

GON clearly instructed to sit a little deeper in the 2nd half to deny them the space behind but the result of that was us losing the initiative and we became more ponderous in possession. Contrary to what GON said after the game, I thought the crowd did not help us as they became nervous and frustrated and this seemed to transmit to the players. Too many just assume that we should be smashing these teams. We are not Man City or Liverpool. Dare I say that some of our fans need educating!

As for individual displays, I thought Sarabia was the stand-out player and he is the one player with the guile and brain to unlock tight situations. Sometimes he appears to be a step or two ahead of some of the other lads although he does seem to link up well with Gomes.
RAN had a very good first half and Lemina got through a lot of work but Neto was poor as was Hwang (who may have been hampered by the pre-match injury?).

Big picture is that it is 3 more points and they count for just as much as the 3 points we got last week at Spurs or earlier in the season v City.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I said on a post hate it when hwang does it and I hate it when podence did it.

At least Lemina actually got hit on the head, but it is frustrating that this is a stain on the men’s game now.

It is cheating to fake an injury… I call it out both ways!

They did that because the game was broken and they were scattered and not in any defensive shape and we had pressed really bloody well, so any mistake or lose pass and we cause major issue. It was done tactically to get them time to reset all their bodies behind the ball.

It was more nefarious than you understand in terms of the motives behind it in that case yesterday and was quite calculated and more than likely an instruction from wilder if the game gets stretched to go down with cramp to get a free pressure off moment to reset.

As I said, injured I support the fair play. But he cheated and we fell into the trap to let them pack the Defense for free…. So poor by Sarabia

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would have been appalled if we had scored from that. The keeper was clearly trying to put it out and didn't even try and get back when he realised Sarabia had picked it up. And they were losing so hardly a time wasting tactic

VAR is VAR and entirely different. We've had a couple of dodgy penalties lately courtesy of Pedro and been happy to put them away

I'm sorry but you're arguing for the indefensible
I am afraid that I dont agree either. The ref only has to stop the play for head injuries and if we stop every time a player goes down injured then it just encourages cheating. And it does happen. And I am not convinced that the Sheff U player wasn't putting it on; it may have been cramp but it certainly wasnt a broken leg.
We should have played to the whistle and played on.

Premier Quality

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Really good article in the athletic on yesterdays game, starting with this stat….

“Before yesterday, Wolves had won just two of their nine Premier League games since the start of last season against promoted opponents, drawing five and losing two.”

Then talks through how Ait Nouri played as either a left midfielder when Pedro went inside, or a defensive midfielder when he hugged the touchline and we were in possession, which allowed Gomes and Lemina to be much more attacking.

Personally I thought we were good in the first half, but clearly it didn’t work in the second - but it’s good that we’re actually trying to get people forward to beat teams like this, rather than our usual fare of passing it around in our own half on our way to a home bore draw.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am afraid that I dont agree either. The ref only has to stop the play for head injuries and if we stop every time a player goes down injured then it just encourages cheating. And it does happen. And I am not convinced that the Sheff U player wasn't putting it on; it may have been cramp but it certainly wasnt a broken leg.
We should have played to the whistle and played on.
Can't agree I'm afraid. The keeper didn't know what his team mate had gone down with and if I remember correctly Sheff Utd had the ball anyway so it wasn't as if he'd gone down to try and prevent an attack by us. Sarabia did the right thing in my book. We would have been furious if it had been the other way round and Sheff Utd had scored an equaliser.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't agree I'm afraid. The keeper didn't know what his team mate had gone down with and if I remember correctly Sheff Utd had the ball anyway so it wasn't as if he'd gone down to try and prevent an attack by us. Sarabia did the right thing in my book. We would have been furious if it had been the other way round and Sheff Utd had scored an equaliser.

The defenders played on…. It was a cheating way to get the game stopped in a phase where they were out of shape for free!

Allowing them to repack the defence and reduce our openings to play and create chances.

Welcome to the dark arts side of football people!!! It isn’t nice, but they have cookies!!

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will have to agree to disagree. There is too much cheating (we do it too, sadly) and players need to learn to pack it in.
Play to the whistle and get on with it. I was taught that as a 7 year old!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will have to agree to disagree. There is too much cheating (we do it too, sadly) and players need to learn to pack it in.
Play to the whistle and get on with it. I was taught that as a 7 year old!

People are forgetting Newcastle got PRAISED and SUPPORTED for scoring while Sa was down against us with a legit injury for playing to the whistle……

We would have been fine if we had done the correct thing and played on

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the second half performance was on O’Neil and whilst he’s taken responsibility for how bad it was, it arguably worked.

The first half they had two one-on-ones, albeit down the side of the goal through Brewster and McAtee.

It was the main way they looked like scoring, by countering and getting down the sides.

So second half we completely shut that off. We weren’t adventurous, we didn’t really press. We just made sure they were not getting Brewster/McAtee running at our defenders isolated.

And despite their increased control, they didn’t create much clear cut.

Tick it off and move on to Wednesday.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would just like to make I just make it crystal clear, that the opposition deserve no praise. Half of that game they needed to get a goal and they barely laid a glove. Their approach was to keep it tight, let us have the ball and hope they get something. I don't think if we played 180 minutes they would have scored. Yes we were awful and couldn't kill the game off, but let's face it, we didn't need to. And that is because of the quality of the likes of Rhian Brewster who's performance I am seeing being praised here. Sheffield United put in a performance not too dissimilar to Crawley when they came up against us in the FA Cup the once. They will be in league one in no time with a good chunk of these players.
Blimey. If spurning two one-on-ones, having a shot blocked on the line, nearly forcing an OG out of Semedo, and forcing Sa into multiple saves, is "barely laying a glove" on us, I'd hate to see what "giving us a game" looks like! On the balance of 90 minutes, they did enough to merit a result. It boiled down to one side who have developed the happy knack of winning matches, against another for whom losing has become a fatal habit.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blimey. If spurning two one-on-ones, having a shot blocked on the line, nearly forcing an OG out of Semedo, and forcing Sa into multiple saves, is "barely laying a glove" on us, I'd hate to see what "giving us a game" looks like! On the balance of 90 minutes, they did enough to merit a result. It boiled down to one side who have developed the happy knack of winning matches, against another for whom losing has become a fatal habit.

Sa nearly punched a shot in (luckily went for a corner) at one point rather than catch it.

A better team than shef United and we get punished, but we didn’t.

But they gave us a good hard battle thanks to the ref not wanting to punish blatant and repeated fouling by them

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He went to kick the ball out, clearly.
Why the player was down didn’t matter, if we’d have scored from that it would have disgusted me.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He went to kick the ball out, clearly.
Why the player was down didn’t matter, if we’d have scored from that it would have disgusted me.

I respect that you feel that way, but this is elite sport and the reason the player was down does matter!

He faked injury! Why reward that!

So if a guy is down because he had a boot fall off we should kick the ball out and stop?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’d have played differently against a better team

I agree 100% but I meant if those moments happen we could have been in more danger.

I was happy on the whole, tricky game and we won…. Which is great

You will note I haven’t slagged off the performance at all.

Was a professional performance on the whole against a team more interested in kicking people than actually playing

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

I don't mean to be overly picky, but I think a pen would have been a harsh decision considering it was about 10 yards from the halfway line. Keeper was a bit dumb not putting it in row Z, but if we'd scored it might have all gone a bit Michael Branch!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't mean to be overly picky, but I think a pen would have been a harsh decision considering it was about 10 yards from the halfway line. Keeper was a bit dumb not putting it in row Z, but if we'd scored it might have all gone a bit Michael Branch!

He tried to con a pen for being nudged going for the header in the box earlier in the phase I think…. Unless I got my timings slightly out.

My point is he was simulating contact/fouls multiple times to get an advantage in the game….

But it was cramp and not an injury, play on

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I agree 100% but I meant if those moments happen we could have been in more danger.

I was happy on the whole, tricky game and we won…. Which is great

You will note I haven’t slagged off the performance at all.

Was a professional performance on the whole against a team more interested in kicking people than actually playing
Agreed we did what we had to not pretty but 3 points

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agreed we did what we had to not pretty but 3 points

Games where the opponent want to kick, pull you and cheat sometimes no matter how ugly the performance celebrate three points, no suspensions to retaliations or silly second yellows due to frustration or injuries.

Yesterday was a professional job well done by the lads made harder by an incompetent referee

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I respect that you feel that way, but this is elite sport and the reason the player was down does matter!

He faked injury! Why reward that!

So if a guy is down because he had a boot fall off we should kick the ball out and stop?
Personally, I was more relieved than elated with the 1-0 yesterday. Had we won 2-0 with a goal scored from that situation I'd have felt somewhat embarrassed.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Despite the chances they created Sheff Utd were the most inept football team I've seen down the Mol in many years. Never seen so many passes straight out of play or general lack of competence. Oh, and the worst free kick from a dangerous spot in the history of football.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Despite the chances they created Sheff Utd were the most inept football team I've seen down the Mol in many years. Never seen so many passes straight out of play or general lack of competence. Oh, and the worst free kick from a dangerous spot in the history of football.
That was truly dreadful. For a promoted side they are absolutely rubbish off set pieces. You'd think this would be one of those things they would be most focused on?

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
Must admit haven't read all posts so could have been mentioned before but if in the summer we still need a No 9 Rhian Brewster would be a good shout.
We are not that desperate, surely?

He has been totally useless since they bought him for big money 3 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom