Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O'Neil - tactics

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And here's how we've got Cunha into this run of form!
Thanks for this. As fans we knew for many months that Cunha's best position was not as a no 9 but more as a withdrawn striker running from midfield. GON deserves great credit for playing him in his right position and as a consequence the results are impressive. I know nothing about coaching but I've always thought that on arrival at a new club a coach surely assesses his new charges and quickly learns what is their best position and builds the team from there. It always surprises me when you see players being played out of position.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'd be here for ever analysing it to be honest. Like many I increasingly came to the conclusion that the defence was too deep because of Coady's lack of pace, so Neves was deep and therefore the whole team relied on a lot of pace up top. There's a bit of that still with Dawson, but nowhere near as much. People say Neves lack of pace was an issue, but I always remember that game against Liverpool where he played box to box, best midfield performance Ivetever seen.
I know this conversation is going over old ground but it's more enjoyable to discuss now as we have moved on and are doing well. Neves in his last season or 2 seemed to play beside Coady in defence rather than as a genuine mf. As you say this may have been down to deficiencies in Coady's game and Neves needed to provide support. I think it certainly held him back and looking back it was such a shame we could not give him free rein to run the show. Again with the benefit of hindsight playing such a defensive role possibly hindered his development and may be a reason why we were not inundated with big Prem offers for him? Who knows but I'd love to see him playing in this new more free flowing style that GON has instigated.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know this conversation is going over old ground but it's more enjoyable to discuss now as we have moved on and are doing well. Neves in his last season or 2 seemed to play beside Coady in defence rather than as a genuine mf. As you say this may have been down to deficiencies in Coady's game and Neves needed to provide support. I think it certainly held him back and looking back it was such a shame we could not give him free rein to run the show. Again with the benefit of hindsight playing such a defensive role possibly hindered his development and may be a reason why we were not inundated with big Prem offers for him? Who knows but I'd love to see him playing in this new more free flowing style that GON has instigated.
Have you considered the players alongside Coady may not have been as good either?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Well I'd say that was largely true in the first half of last season. I mean in theory it's OK, your WBs push right on and provide the width, your CHs pull wide and your 6 drops back next to the third CH. You become a 253/235 in possession. Of course the irony is that Neves becomes quarterback when that passing range is actually Coady's biggest strength.

In the second half of the season I don't think that happened much though, in a 442 or 433 he looked far more dynamic.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you imagine Neves putting balls over the top, with pinpoint accuracy, for Neto and Hwang to run on to. Would scare the life out of teams.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
.... and there once again we hear the sort of comment about our most successful head coach for 50 years (I.e. that he was in some way holding the team back rather than the architect of its success) that led to his leaving and being replaced by that utter fraud Lage.

It was damned silly then. To say it now with the benefit of hindsight is obtuse and frankly ridiculous.
Jeez, you don’t mice words, do you?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With all respect, Neves and Moutinho were playing with instructions and game plans from other managers.
Neves and Moutinho were brilliant servants for the club and in my opinion, they never held us back, but the different tactics from those in charge held them back.
We were blessed by both of their presence, in wearing the Old Gold shirt for so long.
Never said they didn't bless us said I loved them

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
6EC6B4B3-BF75-4BEB-87A3-EF13FF659342.jpeg

Tactically we was outclassed by Brentford. The 3 in midfield we could not handle and was overloaded. In this situation we must match up the opposition. Because Sheffield Utd will come and play the same way. Another team we’ve lost to.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Something needs to change defensively.

After arguably our best defensive performance of the season at Brighton, we’ve had three howlers in a row in the league.

We conceded four against United, it should have been at least eight.

Two at Chelsea, who missed sitters through Jackson and Gallagher as well.

Two at home to Brentford, who missed a few sitters as well despite only attacking for 30 minutes.

Gone soft on set plays and we’ve now, for some reason, returned to the ridiculous passing out from the back which we clearly can’t do.

The latter simply can’t happen next week at Spurs given how they press.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Something needs to change defensively.

After arguably our best defensive performance of the season at Brighton, we’ve had three howlers in a row in the league.

We conceded four against United, it should have been at least eight.

Two at Chelsea, who missed sitters through Jackson and Gallagher as well.

Two at home to Brentford, who missed a few sitters as well despite only attacking for 30 minutes.

Gone soft on set plays and we’ve now, for some reason, returned to the ridiculous passing out from the back which we clearly can’t do.

The latter simply can’t happen next week at Spurs given how they press.
Now we are safe we should experiment with new defensive formations? Spurs away is perfect for 3-5-2 really frustrate them and counter them. Midfield of Lemina Doyle & Bouby.

Something isn’t right with Joao Gomes at the moment

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Now we are safe we should experiment with new defensive formations? Spurs away is perfect for 3-5-2 really frustrate them and counter them. Midfield of Lemina Doyle & Bouby.

Something isn’t right with Joao Gomes at the moment
Id argue the point that we are safe,32pts isnt safe
Ok i know we will get more points and are virtually safe but its dangerous to claim safety until we get over the 40 point mark imo
Midfield was overrun yesterday but i dont see Gomes as a major problem
He played ok but with a number of others was a little below par
With our team we need to be at it 95% of the time,if just a couple drop their standards we will suffer
Cunha going off was crucial ,we just had no idea how to break them down,not for the first time this season either
Gifting them 2 goals was poor, but we could have conceded more,our defence is more of a problem than midfield tbh

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
? Yesterday? Last week? Last month? It would be beneficial to add some substance to your statement if you want to discuss something with others.
Well he was awesome at Chelsea, so presumably just yesterday (where he was still fine for me, just a tactical switch when we had a lot of the ball).

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Well he was awesome at Chelsea, so presumably just yesterday (where he was still fine for me, just a tactical switch when we had a lot of the ball).
I would agree so a statement like something isn’t right with Gomes at the moment is a bit over the top and misleading, if it’s because he had one average game, in which he was no worse than most others.

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I would agree so a statement like something isn’t right with Gomes at the moment is a bit over the top and misleading, if it’s because he had one average game, in which he was no worse than most others.
For some there always has to be a conspiracy he was brilliant against Chelsea and slightly below par yesterday along with most others we are inconsistent like the majority of teams

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For some there always has to be a conspiracy he was brilliant against Chelsea and slightly below par yesterday along with most others we are inconsistent like the majority of teams
It's baffling....João Gomes is tailormade for teams like Chelsea when you need legs , to cover space etc...ball recoveries etc etc....he should have played against man utd at home ....but his game isn't made for say Brentford at home...it's a totally different prospect, which Doyle attributes probably suit better ....it's probably the same for lemina in all honesty....

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's baffling....João Gomes is tailormade for teams like Chelsea when you need legs , to cover space etc...ball recoveries etc etc....he should have played against man utd at home ....but his game isn't made for say Brentford at home...it's a totally different prospect, which Doyle attributes probably suit better ....it's probably the same for lemina in all honesty....
100% we all like our players Gomes is suited to breaking up the play not finding holes and passes like Doyle can

tamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think you still need a Mario Lemina or Joao Gomes against a team like Brentford. They allow you to win the ball back quickly. You likely don't need both for a game like that though and Doyle's passing may have allowed us to be more balanced in a game where we see alot of the ball.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Id argue the point that we are safe,32pts isnt safe
Ok i know we will get more points and are virtually safe but its dangerous to claim safety until we get over the 40 point mark imo
Midfield was overrun yesterday but i dont see Gomes as a major problem
He played ok but with a number of others was a little below par
With our team we need to be at it 95% of the time,if just a couple drop their standards we will suffer
Cunha going off was crucial ,we just had no idea how to break them down,not for the first time this season either
Gifting them 2 goals was poor, but we could have conceded more,our defence is more of a problem than midfield tbh
2 wins and 2 draws needed then from 14 games

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Yes, I did say this before both games (and after!) I know it would have been harsh to drop Doyle after Albion and Gomes after Chelsea, but that's exactly what should have happened. O'Neil needs to be able to handle those situations for me. Where I sympathise is I think he actually might have been intending to use Hwang, which is what we needed down the middle (at least our best current option).

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, I did say this before both games (and after!) I know it would have been harsh to drop Doyle after Albion and Gomes after Chelsea, but that's exactly what should have happened. O'Neil needs to be able to handle those situations for me. Where I sympathise is I think he actually might have been intending to use Hwang, which is what we needed down the middle (at least our best current option).
Yes....I'm not digging at O'Neil....if fact I backed him up with Doherty n Doyle against man utd as you was dropping players who had done good jobs for him....I got the not changing the team descision although I thought tactically it was wrong . But sympathised with his reasoning as such.....it's difficult but in reality it's the premier league so we probably ain't gonna get everything right all the time and we can always look back with hindsight...and chopping and changing does also cause problems...

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Exactly so why is there something wrong with him , then. .
The performances. He seemed much more combative when he first come to Wolves. Anyway I didn’t say sell him. You want an argument you will find one

He and others wasn’t at their best. That’s down to Brentford playing well unfortunately for us.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was actually pleased O'Neil was pretty proactive yesterday. I felt he waited far too long against Man United, when he genuinely should have made subs within 25 minutes, or half-time at the latest.

He made an attacking switch at half-time, and that certainly gave us more domination in terms of territory/control.

We deservedly lost and it's because the players weren't good enough. I think the manager did all he could.

Let's not forget we had only beaten Brentford once in 90 minutes in our three previous games, and that was without Toney. There's really not much between us.

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
I was actually pleased O'Neil was pretty proactive yesterday. I felt he waited far too long against Man United, when he genuinely should have made subs within 25 minutes, or half-time at the latest.

He made an attacking switch at half-time, and that certainly gave us more domination in terms of territory/control.

We deservedly lost and it's because the players weren't good enough. I think the manager did all he could.

Let's not forget we had only beaten Brentford once in 90 minutes in our three previous games, and that was without Toney. There's really not much between us.
Yes, change the shape at half time, dominate the game, Dawson's goal counts, we go on and win and he's a tactical genius. Stupid lines come out and decide Dawson's a few inches offside, he then makes a mistake, we lose and O'Neil's a fool. That's how it seems to go.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, change the shape at half time, dominate the game, Dawson's goal counts, we go on and win and he's a tactical genius. Stupid lines come out and decide Dawson's a few inches offside, he then makes a mistake, we lose and O'Neil's a fool. That's how it seems to go.
Totally agree. No need to over analyse, blame Jeff or question the players. It was just a game where we were a bit below par against a side that had played us enough times to put together an effective game plan and where the fine margins went against us.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sitting 11th on GD only. 3 points off the "dreaded" Europa Conference slot.
It would be an absolute honour to what he has achieved if he were to make the shortlist for Manager of Season. Still a little early mind you.....

He should make the shortlist no doubt as things stand today! As should ex-wolf Rob Edwards!

But sadly i wouldn’t be surprised for it to be given to Klopp in some *******ised way to say bye

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
He should make the shortlist no doubt as things stand today! As should ex-wolf Rob Edwards!

But sadly i wouldn’t be surprised for it to be given to Klopp in some *******ised way to say bye
Achievements come in different shapes and forms, and that should indeed be recognised.
Klopp stakes a strong claim too though, if Liverpool beat Man City to the title, regardless of him leaving or not.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Achievements come in different shapes and forms, and that should indeed be recognised.
Klopp stakes a strong claim too though, if Liverpool beat Man City to the title, regardless of him leaving or not.
It’s Klopp if they win the league, Emery if they don’t, and O’Neill if wolves get Europe and Villa capitulate to miss out on champions league

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

100% agree! He has been a legend manager! A lifetime achievement award or a special gift for sure as he has been a major character for the league over the years.

I meant as things stand today, i wouldn’t give it to him.

What Rob Edwards and GON have done with their squads and their challenges to overcome outshines what Klopp has done so far in my own personal opinion. So for me those two would deserve it more if the vote was to close today and only season to now be considered.

People can happily shoot me down on that.

Back
Top Bottom