Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

What shoould Wolves do next with Fabio Silva?

What should Wolves do next with Fabio Silva

• Sell Fabio for between 10 - 15 million with add-ons

Votes: 259 66.8%
  • Loan with an option to buy at 20 million

Votes: 27 7.0%
  • Dry loan to another club and assess in the summer

Votes: 32 8.2%
  • Keep Fabio at Wolves and use him in a meaningful way.

Votes: 53 13.7%
  • Other

Votes: 17 4.4%

• Total voters

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tired old ground. I'm not sure where Fabio will end up but Solanke is 26 and has done very little until this season. Toney is nearly 28. Both have matured physically quite considerably over the last couple of years.

Keep loaning him out for 5 years and we could be onto a winner!!

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's a support striker. He's a Neil Maupay. No more, no less.

Think this is it. My friends watched a few of his games while he was on loan last year & since he's at Rangers. Said he's basically another 10/support striker.

kentish wolf

Reaction score
I think that Rangets will want a cut price deal. Hopefully we will recoup most of the ridiculous fee that Shi spent on him.
I live in hope.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that Rangets will want a cut price deal. Hopefully we will recoup most of the ridiculous fee that Shi spent on him.
I live in hope.

If we want to get anywhere near the fee we paid for him, we are loaning him to the wrong places.

Rangers record fee for any player, ever, was £12m for Tore Andre Flo in November 2000.

They haven't paid more than £5m for anyone since Ryan Kent from Liverpool in 2019.

He's also been on loan to PSV, record transfer of £12m, and Anderlecht, record transfer of £7.5m.

These loans are just shop window loans in the hope someone with money likes the look of him!

Edinburgh Wolf

Reaction score
Tired old ground. I'm not sure where Fabio will end Solanke is 26 and has done very little until this season. Toney is nearly 28. Both have matured physically quite considerably over the last couple of years. Btw he's over 6 foot himself...
Yep, it's pure revisionism. At the age Fabio is, Toney was scoring 8 goals whilst on loan at League 1 S****horpe, whilst Watkins was a 1 in 5 Championship striker. He may not ever be good enough for the Premier League, and certainly wasn't worth the £35m, but to compare him to guys with 5 or 6 years extra growth and experience is just daft.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good for him if he is making a fist of it in Scotland. I respect him much more for going there .

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It really is irrational to compare Fabio to all these late developers .
We could trawl all lower league sides , look at their strikers and say “he could make it one day .” Being unsuccessful at lower league level in your early twenties isn’t a prerequisite to be a top Premier League striker . :)

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I see he got 18 minutes against the mighty Ross County tonight. How this loan is helping him or Wolves I have no idea.
It doesn’t help that we loaned him to a club where the manager rotates all the time. Glad we’ve got Matt Jackson back now because you need to look at this sort of thing before you send players out.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Starting for Rangers today away at St Johnstone. Done nothing so far in front of a half empty stadium.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Starting for Rangers today away at St Johnstone. Done nothing so far in front of a half empty stadium.
It's like watching a Sunday morning pub league game .
Silvas standard.
He brings nothing to there attack

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watched the Rangers game for near on 20 minutes and Silva has not touched the ball once. He's playing for them like he did for us, up top, running about but never anywhere near where the ball is. It's such a poor game I can't take any more but from that glimpse of him I don't see he's improved at all, in fact I'd say he's still very much the same. I bet Rangers won't take him in June and so he'll end up back with us. We can't keep on sending him out on loan so I think we'll cut our losses on him and sell cheap.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gave him so much benefit of the doubt over the years but he really is crap.I'm sure he'll go on and score the odd goal for a middling Portuguese side but wow what a waste. A transfer that will go down in Wolves folklore.
I think Fosun have learnt their lesson the hard way.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been very poor today. Few mitigating factors because none of the forwards have been better than a 3/10, Rangers are so poor and slow with their passing and the pitch is terrible.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does he think he is too good for the Championship? Why does he keep getting loaned to big 'Glamour' clubs, only to spend most of his time sitting on the bench. While I appreciate that a lot of this may not be under his control, I would like to see him grind it out in the Championship for a year starting every week and showing us what he can do. Then I think we would be able to make a fair and accurate assessment of him.

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gave him so much benefit of the doubt over the years but he really is crap.I'm sure he'll go on and score the odd goal for a middling Portuguese side but wow what a waste. A transfer that will go down in Wolves folklore.
Every club has duds in the transfer market. We spent £25m on Guedes but he was a top player at the time, and that didn't work out because of his **** poor attitude rather than a lack of ability. The fact he didn't want to join for three years should have been telling enough for us to avoid signing him, though.

Cutrone as well, I never truly felt like he wanted to be here after being forced out of his boyhood club. That's why I'd always prefer us to sign players on an upward trajectory rather than players that view us as a downgrade. Mentality is every bit as important as ability.

I think what stands out with Silva is how heavily we overpaid for him. I think that even £5m for an 18 year old who had played 183 minutes of senior football would have raised eyebrows, but £35m?! It certainly felt like we made up for paying so little for Neves in 2017.

At this point it's very much a case of cutting our losses, hopefully he lands on his feet at a club that's closer to his level, it's not his fault that we massively overpaid for him.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every club has duds in the transfer market. We spent £25m on Guedes but he was a top player at the time, and that didn't work out because of his **** poor attitude rather than a lack of ability. The fact he didn't want to join for three years should have been telling enough for us to avoid signing him, though.

Cutrone as well, I never truly felt like he wanted to be here after being forced out of his boyhood club. That's why I'd always prefer us to sign players on an upward trajectory rather than players that view us as a downgrade. Mentality is every bit as important as ability.

I think what stands out with Silva is how heavily we overpaid for him. I think that even £5m for an 18 year old who had played 183 minutes of senior football would have raised eyebrows, but £35m?! It certainly felt like we made up for paying so little for Neves in 2017.

At this point it's very much a case of cutting our losses, hopefully he lands on his feet at a club that's closer to his level, it's not his fault that we massively overpaid for him.

It was the timing of it as well. We were at our strongest in 2020 but then sold Jota, had a load of money to utilize and spent it on a chance rather than a replacement.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching him today in the Rangers game it’s just a case of trying to recoup as much as we can.

Sadly, apart from one decent moment today he has looked lost even in Scottish football. I feel for the lad. As others have said, the transfer fee wasn’t his fault, but it hangs like a millstone around his neck.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If you lack any remote pace as a striker in contemporary football, your other attributes have to really stand out if you want to be anything other than a Championshp level player at best. Be quick thinking, great positional sense, a clinical finisher, good in the air, hold up play and bring others in etc. He has none of the above.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Does he think he is too good for the Championship? Why does he keep getting loaned to big 'Glamour' clubs, only to spend most of his time sitting on the bench. While I appreciate that a lot of this may not be under his control, I would like to see him grind it out in the Championship for a year starting every week and showing us what he can do. Then I think we would be able to make a fair and accurate assessment of him.
He's not going to start in the Championship every week.

Let's be honest, he never successfully made the jump to men's football from youth football. Good youth football player.

Fraser is ahead of him at this point because Fraser can follow directions. Silva is like releasing a deer onto the pitch.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Been very poor today. Few mitigating factors because none of the forwards have been better than a 3/10, Rangers are so poor and slow with their passing and the pitch is terrible.
That statement sums up Scottish football in a nutshell.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wonder why Rangers was selected as his destination? Is the idea for him to lead the line for one of the big clubs against lower Championship level opponents most weeks, so that he can build confidence?

Doesn't seem a very good fit to me. Seems like it's a hiding to nothing, because if he rattled in 20 goals, you'd never be sure how that translates to tougher leagues, because it's a division where 2 teams are effectively a league ahead of everyone else anyway. And the opposite, if he only scores 2 or 3 and struggles, then it's going to dent his confidence even more.

Surprised he isn't at second level in Spain, France or Germany. Similar to how Rafa Mir did well and developed his game in the Spanish second division, for example.

Andywolf74

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Three successive managers haven’t been impressed enough to give him a run in the side. With Hwang away on international duty and us desperately short of striker options, he clearly isn’t in GON’s plans and neither is Sasa.
I hope in the summer he signs for a Portuguese club, with the aim of kick starting his career in a familiar environment. We get some sort of fee for him, save a salary from the wage bill and move on.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing i would say about Fabio and his time at Wolves is he has never really had many opportunities in our team when we have actually played free flowing, attacking football, and when we started to play that way his time was probably up.

bigbadwolftoo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we want to get anywhere near the fee we paid for him, we are loaning him to the wrong places.

Rangers record fee for any player, ever, was £12m for Tore Andre Flo in November 2000.

They haven't paid more than £5m for anyone since Ryan Kent from Liverpool in 2019.

He's also been on loan to PSV, record transfer of £12m, and Anderlecht, record transfer of £7.5m.

These loans are just shop window loans in the hope someone with money likes the look of him!
Nobody else would take him!

Purely a matter of taking what we can and get rid asap!

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One thing i would say about Fabio and his time at Wolves is he has never really had many opportunities in our team when we have actually played free flowing, attacking football, and when we started to play that way his time was probably up.
True – but Rangers mostly do and he still looks completely lost.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
True – but Rangers mostly do and he still looks completely lost.

I think he's just lost all confidence in himself and his ability now. As somebody else has said, its time for him to accept he needs to take a step back to a lower level than he wants. He can still get to play at a high level, but he needs to rebuild his confidence first.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he's just lost all confidence in himself and his ability now. As somebody else has said, its time for him to accept he needs to take a step back to a lower level than he wants. He can still get to play at a high level, but he needs to rebuild his confidence first.
Surely that's what the Scottish prem is, though? It's really not a good standard, the top two aside.

Back
Top Bottom