Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Matheus Cunha

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary needs to work his magic on the young lads we have now. We have several exciting young attacking talents at the club. I am majorly ****ed off with the club about January though but this in no way is ONeil's fault and I feel for him and the players.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes villa normally play with 4, central midfielders but I didn't mention bellegarde who yuu could argue is similar to you saying Mcguin can push further up....

I would argue Villa are 1 down on us....and I would argue Watkins getting injured could be more catastrophic for then than Cunha for us..... because they would have nobody if he did get injured...

I'm not arguing we aye short....just disagreed we are the only ones...
Lots of teams have smaller squads of genuinely reliable players than people assume.
Don’t Liverpool only really have 5 genuine contenders for their front 3? (Think I read that somewhere).

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who said we didn’t need a striker? GON said we did need a striker but we couldn’t get the right person in with the budget/restrictions we had due to FFP
That's a slight abridgment of what Gary actually said. On the 15th January:

“I can confirm, as far as I’m aware, that we have no worries over financial fair play. I’ve been comfortable with that since I arrived. The club were very open with me around what could and couldn’t be done this season. [...] There's discussions going on. Obviously that was the idea, letting the guys [Sasa and Fabio] go out as early as possible. It helps financially, helps free up some wages that we can use in the loan market, or for people that may be available. I am confident that we will be able to bring players in before the window closes, but that doesn't mean we can guarantee it."

The point of letting Sasa and Fabio go was because it freed up the financial capital to bring players in on loan. We went from that more bullish quote regarding FFP and the confidence of signing multiple players, to this a week later:

“A lot of work was going into trying to recruit a certain type and it’s now been made clear financially that we can’t afford that type. So that search stops and we look at other options. [...] The financial side of why, I’m not 100 per cent clear on. Financial fair play or the position of the club financially, but it’s just clear we still need to be very, very careful and even more careful than we thought when I spoke to you guys last week about the targets we were looking at."

Gary was told on day one, that FFP was not a concern for Wolves. Then at a certain point in January, he publicly declares is no longer sure if the club has FFP trouble or not, but the targets he was looking at from only a week before were suddenly no longer viable, despite shipping Sasa and Fabio's wages off the books (and presumably took loan fees too).

We can't just shrug our shoulders, chalk it up to bad luck and say no mistakes were made.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lots of teams have smaller squads of genuinely reliable players than people assume.
Don’t Liverpool only really have 5 genuine contenders for their front 3? (Think I read that somewhere).
Liverpool have had no left back for months ....and Trent is injured as well at right back........fancy leaving there squad that light with Carling cup, Europe , fa cup and the title to go for.....

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Liverpool have had no left back for months ....and Trent is injured as well at right back........fancy leaving there squad that light with Carling cup, Europe , fa cup and the title to go for.....
You know that's not fair.

If Wolves had multiple injuries up top, people would not be moaning. We have one.

Liverpool had two left-backs, which is how it should be. They've got unfortunate. Ours is not really luck, you have to plan to have at least one forward being injured.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You know that's not fair.

If Wolves had multiple injuries up top, people would not be moaning. We have one.

Liverpool had two left-backs, which is how it should be. They've got unfortunate. Ours is not really luck, you have to plan to have at least one forward being injured.
You would have thought under those circumstances Liverpool would have recruited in January......but they obviously choose not to as January is a poor window to buy or didn't have the finances available....not all clubs can solve all the problems in January can they......

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa don't always play three like us, sometimes two.

They also have Zaniolo and Morgan Rogers. and McGinn/Ramsey push further up to play off a striker, something our midfielders couldn't really do IMO.

But yep, you could argue they're one short. Any other club?
Chelsea. Arsenal. West ham. Everton. Man utd. Palace. Fulham. All have a massive drop off from their first choices

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You would have thought under those circumstances Liverpool would have recruited in January......but they obviously choose not to as January is a poor window to buy or didn't have the finances available....not all clubs can solve all the problems in January can they......
No you wouldn't. Robertson is back fit now.

They recalled Owen Beck from Dundee and sent him back when the injury situation eased up.

loppers86

Reaction score
The clappers keep saying Cunha isn’t a 9 so keeping fabio/sasa wouldn’t have made any difference.

The simple fact of the matter is that we have problems and we have limited options to change things around.

A couple of extra options would undoubtedly have helped Gary formulate his plan b until MC is back.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Chelsea had Sterling, Nkunku and Mudryk on the bench last game ffs.

Arsenal have Jesus, Havertz and Nketiah.

Everton have DCL, Beto and Chermiti.

West Ham have Ings, Antonio, Bowen, Kudus.

Palace have Olise and Eze out yet still had Edouard on the bench. Mateta started.

Fulham have Broja, Jimenez and Muniz.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Palace have Olise and Eze out yet still had Edouard on the bench. Mateta started.

Wolves have Hwang, Neto, Cunha, Sarabia, Bellegarde

Yet we are the team with the least depth in the league?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I don't think you realise how you've just ruined your own point.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves have Hwang, Neto, Cunha, Sarabia, Bellegarde

Yet we are the team with the least depth in the league?
I went through the strikers/central forwards. You've included wingers.

Look for yourself. It's not even up for debate. We have the least depth for senior forward options in the league.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I went through the strikers. You've included wingers.

Look for yourself. It's not even up for debate. We have the least depth for senior forward options in the league.
You went through players played as strikers. Bowen, Sterling, Mudryk, Havertz, Kudus, Olise and Eze aren't strikers

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have this horrible gut feeling we'll be playing some games this season without all 3 of Cunha, Neto and Hwang.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha isn't a 9 and whoever we bought wouldn't have been able to do what he does so not sure why his injury and the not buying a 9 argument are being brought together
For many including me and probably GON it was about numbers of players capable of playing in the centre, and scoring goals.
Sarabia Neto and Bellegarde are small not central. 5ft 9 , 5ft 8, 5ft 7 . Cunha 6ft

Last edited:

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

“I can confirm, as far as I’m aware, that we have no worries over financial fair play. I’ve been comfortable with that since I arrived. The club were very open with me around what could and couldn’t be done this season. [...] There's discussions going on. Obviously that was the idea, letting the guys [Sasa and Fabio] go out as early as possible. It helps financially, helps free up some wages that we can use in the loan market, or for people that may be available. I am confident that we will be able to bring players in before the window closes, but that doesn't mean we can guarantee it."

The point of letting Sasa and Fabio go was because it freed up the financial capital to bring players in on loan. We went from that more bullish quote regarding FFP and the confidence of signing multiple players, to this a week later:

“A lot of work was going into trying to recruit a certain type and it’s now been made clear financially that we can’t afford that type. So that search stops and we look at other options. [...] The financial side of why, I’m not 100 per cent clear on. Financial fair play or the position of the club financially, but it’s just clear we still need to be very, very careful and even more careful than we thought when I spoke to you guys last week about the targets we were looking at."

Gary was told on day one, that FFP was not a concern for Wolves. Then at a certain point in January, he publicly declares is no longer sure if the club has FFP trouble or not, but the targets he was looking at from only a week before were suddenly no longer viable, despite shipping Sasa and Fabio's wages off the books (and presumably took loan fees too).

We can't just shrug our shoulders, chalk it up to bad luck and say no mistakes were made.
Perhaps “no worries over financial fair play” meant we were not going to get charged unlike Everton and Forest?
Perhaps mistakes were made? but nobody is perfect and personally I’m very happy with the job Fosun have done since their arrival

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For many including me and probably GON it was about numbers of players capable of playing in the centre, and scoring goals.
Sarabia Neto and Bellegarde are small not central.
He had 2 and said they wouldn't play. I think its more than just that he's after

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa don't always play three like us, sometimes two.

They also have Zaniolo and Morgan Rogers. and McGinn/Ramsey push further up to play off a striker, something our midfielders couldn't really do IMO.

But yep, you could argue they're one short. Any other club?
Everton always strike me as a little short
Totally agree. Most of us know what will happen in the summer.
We all know JOS, there’s no high ground here mate.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I went through the strikers/central forwards. You've included wingers.

Where are you getting your positions for the players of other clubs from? The official positions listed by the clubs or your personal perception of where they play?

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And loaning out hodge and selling Corbeanu for. 1.2 million.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You went through players played as strikers. Bowen, Sterling, Mudryk, Havertz, Kudus, Olise and Eze aren't strikers

Some of those players can play as a central forward, and do. Hwang wasn't a striker a few months ago by O'Neil's admission, now he's our only senior one.

So people will have different interpretations in modern football. But, we'll keep it simple, we have five senior players who could play in any of the three attacking positions. And, one of those is out in Cunha.

The following clubs have this many players who could play in a front three:

Chelsea: Jackson, Mudryk, Sterling, Nkunku, Palmer, Madueke

Arsenal: Havertz, Jesus, Nketiah, Nelson, Saka, Martinelli, Trossard, Vieira

West Ham: Bowen, Kudus, Paqueta, Antonio, Ings, Cornet

Everton: McNeil, Harrison, Beto, Chermiti, DCL, Danjuma

Palace: Eze, Olise, Mateta, Franca, Edouard, Ayew

Man United: Bruno, Hojlund, Rashford, Antony, Garnacho, Amad, Martial

Fulham: Willan, Broja, Raul, Adama, Muniz, Wilson, Reid

There's probably some I've missed, but all those players could play in the fluid front three we have. Every club has more than five (which is now four).

That includes every club having two senior central strikers (italic) minimum. We have one, if we class Hwang as one.

Last edited:

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some of those players can play as a central forward, and do. Hwang wasn't a striker a few months ago by O'Neil's admission, now he's our only senior one.

So people will have different interpretations in modern football. But, we'll keep it simple, we have five senior players who could play in any of the three attacking positions. And, one of those is out in Cunha.

There's probably some I've missed, but all those players could play in the fluid front three we have. Every club has more than five (which is now four).

Ohhh

Wolves - Neto, Sarabia, Hwang, Cunha, Bellegarde, Fraser, then Noha/Enso if we are going low enough (since you are adding in Martial and Amad for United), RAN if we are going players that are capable (since you included Vieira for Arsenal)

So eh yeah? Impressive to double down, I admire that.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ohhh

Wolves - Neto, Sarabia, Hwang, Cunha, Bellegarde, Fraser, then Noha/Enso if we are going low enough (since you are adding in Martial and Amad for United), RAN if we are going players that are capable (since you included Vieira for Arsenal)

Martial is a senior player and Amad cost £35m.

I would absolutely use Fabio Silva as a senior striker if he was here. Either way, take Amad out if you want, they still have more than five. Take out Vieira if you want, they have more than five.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since Jeff Shi's letter we sold matheus nunes. Surely we have sold as much as possible. That is 150 million raised plus 18 players out on loan.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Martial is a senior player and Amad cost £35m.

I would absolutely use Fabio Silva as a senior striker if he was here. Either way, take Amad out if you want, they still have more than five. Take out Vieira if you want, they have more than five.
Martial is a player they've actively wanted to get rid of and only plays if there is an emergency, hence, the same level as Noha/Enso. Same for Amad who has made a massive 1 senior appearance in 3 seasons.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Take them out then you daft ****! It's still more than five which is the point. You're taking it off track to deflect.
Well, no

Man United: Bruno, Hojlund, Rashford, Antony, Garnacho

That's five.

Wolves - Neto, Sarabia, Hwang, Cunha, Bellegarde

That's five.

Ruh-roh

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ohhh

It's gotta be a wind up, I'll leave him to it

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score

You're making it up as you go along. Citing any Tom, Dick and Harry who has crossed the halfway line for any other Premier League team as part of a senior "fluid front three" and not including Sarabia, Bellegarde, Fraser for us, who have all played in the front three already this season, as well as Cunha, Neto and Hwang. You're just making stuff up to suit your narrative and showing your ignorance of other teams.

You've also got the cheek to compare us and our possible spending and squad size to Arsenal, Manchester United and, wait for it, billion pound spending Chelsea.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, no

Man United: Bruno, Hojlund, Rashford, Antony, Garnacho

That's five.

Wolves - Neto, Sarabia, Hwang, Cunha, Bellegarde

That's five.

Ruh-roh

What's the point in this? You don't really care about the discussion.

Martial is a senior player in their squad. Amad Diallo is not comparable to Enso, Lemina or Fraser, the latter of which who have played 15 minutes in Serie B and 45 minutes in the PL.

Amad, who cost an initial £20m, was the best player in the Championship last season.

So, they are not comparable. All of this just so you can say Man United have five senior forwards on their books, which would make them the joint lowest as us. Great.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
All this panicking about a “number 9”. As far as I can see, we don’t and haven’t played with what I would call a traditional one for a while. Would we be better off with and out and out 9?

I think some people are forgetting that (if they were all fit) and we had a 9, one of Cunha, Hwang or Neto misses out. Unless we sacrifice other areas, which in my opinion we can’t possibly do.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're making it up as you go along. Citing any Tom, Dick and Harry who has crossed the halfway line for any other Premier League team as part of a senior "fluid front three" and not including Sarabia, Bellegarde, Fraser for us, who have all played in the front three already this season, as well as Cunha, Neto and Hwang. You're just making stuff up to suit your narrative and showing your ignorance of other teams.

You've also got the cheek to compare us and our possible spending and squad size to Arsenal, Manchester United and, wait for it, billion pound spending Chelsea.
I did include Sarabia and Bellegarde.

Try reading first please.

Also, I didn't compare us to Arsenal, Man Utd or Chelsea. The Weave brought them three clubs up.

Again, try reading first please.

Back
Top Bottom