Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Brentford verdict

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s hope GON can work his magic on Bellegrade and Fraser if Hwang and Cunha remain injured.

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've only seen the highlights on TV , but what the hell was Sa doing for the first goal ??
He dived to catch it , a yard behind the Brentford player who tapped it in

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
Might be the worst performance under GON, we were second best from the first minute. You can't play well every week but that's 2 poor home performances on the bounce and we've started leaking from corners too, which we were previously strong on.

Cunha's injury a huge concern, Brentford doubled Neto second half and therefore, largely stifled him. The amount of crosses that failed to beat the first man from the rest was appalling.

Someone needs to have a word with Sa too, we're just playing ourselves into trouble.
I take it you didn’t see the game at West Ham!

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If ever a club beat themselves it was us today. Atmosphere flat as a witches tit from the off. Team unable to get going. Semedo after some good play neededlessy giving away a corner which was then defended terribly (that's 3 games in a row we've conceded from a corner). Totally deflated by a tight but correct VAR call. And a comedy 2nd goal originating from a straight ball out from Sa to a player running towards him which had already directly coughed up 2 or 3 very presentable chances to the opposition. Neto overplaying every time. JRB never getting into it. Sarabia summed it up with his bizzare foul throw.

Easily one of our worst performances of the season and a reminder of why we are still short of seriously challenging for a European spot. The thing is with this team, they can lose to anyone and beat anyone, it's infuriatingly inconsistent. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we turn Spurs over next week.
Yep, it was a collective terrible effort all round. No idea why the fans didn’t bother today but it’s the sort of game where a win would have been extremely valuable and it was an important game in a chase for Europe so they were needed today.

It seems the better we get and better we do the less up for this category game everybody becomes.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When Cunha went off injured we should have brought on Fraser not Bellegarde
We looked so much better in the second half when Neto went wide and Fraser was in the middle
Thought he did really well holding the ball up and playing it off prior to that balls down the middle were coming straight back
We’ve played Neto down the middle a few times and it simply doesn’t work

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When Cunha went off injured we should have brought on Fraser not Bellegarde
We looked so much better in the second half when Neto went wide and Fraser was in the middle
Thought he did really well holding the ball up and playing it off prior to that balls down the middle were coming straight back
We’ve played Neto down the middle a few times and it simply doesn’t work
GON's obsession with using Bellegarde or Neto as our CF in the absence of Hwang has been really, really strange. Don't see the rationale or logic for it.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Awful display, awful result. Until we can start beating these sides at home you can forget the European pipe dream. We got tactically out thought and the team got out fought. Not good enough.

We have potentially 2 pretty serious injuries to key forwards on our hand and we now have to rely on Bellgarde and Fraser ( or so I got told not to long ago ). Madness.

Reactions: Ian

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We already have Santi Bueno and Mosquera is apparently playing well or Villareal.
That’s very true. I’d like to see Bueno given a run in the team then, see if he is up to the task next season. Good news that Yerson is doing well at Villarreal, I haven’t heard much about his spell to be honest.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor from the get go and the sloppiness never really left our game. We lacked quality going forward all game and really didn’t look like scoring barring the Dawson offside goal.

It’s a shame really but at least we have everything and never gave up, you just need some quality to go with it.

Not too downtrodden about this game though; there’s no sense of injustice, Brentford werent TOTAL s-houses and we simply didn’t deserve anything.

It’s a wasted opportunity to carry on our form but I guess with our squad the way it is, we will have days like this semi regularly.
That’s fair and balanced.

Reactions: Ned

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One to try and forget
Yes we fans will move on but will somebody at Compton, drill our defenders so not to be so porous at times.
Sometimes you could drive a creaky three wheeled coach and four lame geriatric horses through our defence without any hindrance.

Even if we make Europe for next season, our current defence won’t suffice unless we replace them or drill them better.

yateleywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe we could have sneaked a draw but I felt Brentford looked more dangerous than us in the first half. I don't get these strange slow starts we have had in last two home games.
Second half more like it but really it was poor all round today.
It does seem abit strange that we let two strikers go out and we are left with someone who was lined up to play for Shrewsbury in Jan left . He did his best but I'm sure it wasn't planned.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a bit concerning that we’ve put in stinkers at home to Brentford, Forest and Burnley now (albeit we did take 4 points). We have lots of home games against teams around/below us left to come.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, since my wife decided to become a die hard Wolves fan at the start of December. Only games she has missed are Man United at Home and this game. We lost both. So, for me part of the blame is her fault. She is going India on the 17th Feb for 5 weeks. So we're ****'ed.
Is she bigger and tougher than you? Ok, If not then you gotta stop her by any means possible. Extreme prejudice is authorized :)
Use your charm….

Last edited:

Leemack

Reaction score
So took the kids today, got rinsed for £300 in the club shop and £35 on food and drinks and saw a poor performance then dropped a bottle of wine on the way home that I was gna enjoy with me tea

A day to forget all round :D

Back to me and the lads now. If I got the kids seasons tickets alongside mine i'd be broke

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It may sound dramatic, but this is the day our season finished.

I don't even care about the result. With the exception of Luton, Sheffield United and Burnley, any side can beat any side, and there's very little between the teams. When Brentford don't have Ivan Toney, Wolves win. When Wolves don't have Matheus Cunha, Brentford win. The margins are so small.

When Cunha limped off, we were done today and until he returns. We all knew it, and it proved to be the case.

We were bringing on a player who was meant to be playing for Shrewsbury at Derby today. How can I blame him? How can I blame O'Neil? You can't. Although, the latter needs to grow a pair and actually speak up. Sasa or Silva would have come on if they were available today.

Forget the time wasting - everyone does it. We deservedly lost on the balance of play today. We barely created a chance of note.

Forget blaming Bellegarde for playing in a position he doesn't play - even if there are doubts about whether he's good enough in his best role, that criticism is valid.

Forget even questioning Fraser. If Wolves did what was best for his development, he would've been in League One today. In fairness, he gave his all as well, it's not his fault he's not yet ready.

We know why we lost today. We know why we're likely to lose regularly over the next 2-3 months until our best player recovers from a hamstring injury.

Injuries happen, and they were always going to happen.

The league is now over, and Brighton will end the season officially later this month. I'm just so glad we've got enough points to stay clear of relegation.

Last edited:

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa & Kilman hopefully get flogged for decent money. Too many inconsistent performances costing us points. Dawson can’t play forever he’s carrying us. Ultimately the entire defence could change very quickly when you take into account our wing backs Semedo contract and Ait-Nouri being a wanted man. Kilman potential to be sold. Doc getting on. Toti, Mosquera Bueno remain. Big reshuffle ahead hopefully. For the better. Maybe we are tired but we want to improve we need consistency in performances. Today is not good enough. Time will tell but we all know we are safe this season. Huge summer. Let’s hope Gary stays and gets the monies to rebuild us.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa & Kilman hopefully get flogged for decent money. Too many inconsistent performances costing us points. Dawson can’t play forever he’s carrying us. Ultimately the entire defence could change very quickly when you take into account our wing backs Semedo contract and Ait-Nouri being a wanted man. Kilman potential to be sold. Doc getting on. Toti, Mosquera Bueno remain. Big reshuffle ahead hopefully. For the better. Maybe we are tired but we want to improve we need consistency in performances. Today is not good enough. Time will tell but we all know we are safe this season. Huge summer. Let’s hope Gary stays and gets the monies to rebuild us.
I'd certainly sell Kilman for £40m if West Ham want to pay that. He's largely been good for us in the PL but he's replaceable, especially if we had that sort of money.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All those arguments when the window closed. All the name calling, all the belittling. What a terrible day for so many posters on here. I probably will get round to naming them at some point, but it really is shameful the way they acted and spoke to posters when all the fears and concerns were played out on this terrible afternoon.

It may sound dramatic, but this is the day our season finished.

I don't even care about the result. With the exception of Luton, Sheffield United and Burnley, any side can beat any side, and there's very little between the teams. When Brentford don't have Ivan Toney, Wolves win. When Wolves don't have Matheus Cunha, Brentford win. The margins are so small.

When Cunha limped off, we were done today and until he returns. We all knew it, and it proved to be the case.

We were bringing on a player who was meant to be playing for Shrewsbury at Derby today. How can I blame him? How can I blame O'Neil? You can't. Although, the latter needs to grow a pair and actually speak up. Sasa or Silva would have come on if they were available today.

Forget the time wasting - everyone does it. We deservedly lost on the balance of play today. We barely created a chance of note.

Forget blaming Bellegarde for playing in a position he doesn't play - even if there are doubts about whether he's good enough in his best role, that criticism is valid.

Forget even questioning Fraser. If Wolves did what was best for his development, he would've been in League One today. In fairness, he gave his all as well, it's not his fault he's not yet ready.

We know why we lost today. We know why we're likely to lose regularly over the next 2-3 months until our best player recovers from a hamstring injury.

Injuries happen, and they were always going to happen.

The league is now over, and Brighton will end the season officially later this month. I'm just so glad we've got enough points to stay clear of relegation.
Oh look we've lost and you've posted an essay. What are the odds

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd certainly sell Kilman for £40m if West Ham want to pay that. He's largely been good for us in the PL but he's replaceable, especially if we had that sort of money.
Well said same for Sa if we can get €20m and upgrade

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a bit concerning that we’ve put in stinkers at home to Brentford, Forest and Burnley now (albeit we did take 4 points). We have lots of home games against teams around/below us left to come.
Agree. Still need to improve our performances against these kind of teams at times.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
GON's obsession with using Bellegarde or Neto as our CF in the absence of Hwang has been really, really strange. Don't see the rationale or logic for it.
In the last couple of weeks in the case of Neto I really think he either wants to take any defensive responsibility off him or doesn't trust him to do it. Last week it was fine, space in behind and a chance to run at individuals, was awful today though, which is hardly surprising against that set up.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa has never been good enough!!!

He had one good season, where there wasn’t enough good game tape to pick out his technique issues.

Been on an almost season on season decline in performance.

We literally sold the Portugal number one, to bring in the career third/4th choice who only just got a cap in the last year!!!

Crap piece of business!

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa has never been good enough!!!

He had one good season, where there wasn’t enough good game tape to pick out his technique issues.

Been on an almost season on season decline in performance.

We literally sold the Portugal number one, to bring in the career third/4th choice who only just got a cap in the last year!!!

Crap piece of business!
Most errors that lead to goals also? He is a must to be upgraded on.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh look we've lost and you've posted an essay. What are the odds
I posted an essay after we won at Chelsea.

Do I want us to lose? Absolutely not. Unlike many who criticise me on here, I actually pay money and give up time to watch Wolves.

Should I have a go back when everything I, and others, warned about comes true within ten days of the window? Without doubt.

By the way, it would be resolved if people like you said 'fair enough, we got it wrong', but you can't. You have to have digs instead.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most errors that lead to goals also? He is a must to be upgraded on.

People on here told me I didn’t know what I was talking about that they study tape on keeper weaknesses and plan to exploit them…..

Then a few weeks ago the West Ham lad talked about it.

He was actually talking about Sa I was told and that is on bloody good authority!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Two excellent saves to keep us init in a very poor first 20 mins???????
Brentford had 6 shots on target, but only got 2 goals. Can assume the other 4 were saved? Yes, two excellent saves too keep us in it/

Sa wasn't very good. But then plenty were as bad, even worse. If, at 0-1, for example, Ait Nouri could have provided a good cross on the couple of good chances he made, then we could have equalised and the whole match would pan out differently. But his crosses weren't going anywhere near our players today, and no lucky deflection this week. Those are game changing mistakes as much as poor clearances.

Sa does infuriate because he's done it before. Kept us in it. And then landed us in it! I will say that this season, we are seeing goals from mistakes while playing out from the back every week. Goalkeepers who cost 6 times what he did have made them, too. No idea whether he makes them more or less than typical. It felt like he'd been fine for weeks and today was an aberration.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Poor application by the players, poor tactics by the manager.

Why we kept persisting playing it wide to cross to no one, or to one player hopelessly outgunned in the air.

Movement non existent, tempo in geological time. More predictable than me asking to play 4 at the back.

Where we actually need to upgrade for me is the centre backs and an actual striker who plays in the middle and more importantly is allowed to.

Faster CBs would let us hold a higher line which in turn would allow us squeeze the midfield and strikers more in the press without leaving them isolated and also play at a higher tempo.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People on here told me I didn’t know what I was talking about that they study tape on keeper weaknesses and plan to exploit them…..

Then a few weeks ago the West Ham lad talked about it.

He was actually talking about Sa I was told and that is on bloody good authority!
Drops too many clangers. Likeable but we can find better no doubt

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Drops too many clangers. Likeable but we can find better no doubt

His footwork, foot placement and positioning are crap!

He is a reaction keeper

His woeful inability to play even basic passes or lofted passes with his feet at all almost mask his glaring weaknesses and have created a narrative that only his passing is his weakness…..

The fact he only just got a debut cap at his age this year after so many years and multiple others flirting in and out of squads managing to get one tells you that he isn’t and was never a suitable replacement for patricio!

People mock meslier last year at Leeds, but he is a young keeper and patricio is far closer to his prime and technically side by side remove the one plays for wolves lenses, there is sod all between them in terms of quality

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
Today was up there. West Ham are a much better side and the game was away, too. Today was desperately poor.
I disagree. I didn’t think we were that bad today. Were sloppy giving the goals away. We had done to us what we’ve done to a few others away including Brentford with them capitalising on our mistakes.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His footwork, foot placement and positioning are crap!

He is a reaction keeper

His woeful inability to play even basic passes or lofted passes with his feet at all almost mask his glaring weaknesses and have created a narrative that only his passing is his weakness…..

The fact he only just got a debut cap at his age this year after so many years and multiple others flirting in and out of squads managing to get one tells you that he isn’t and was never a suitable replacement for patricio!

People mock meslier last year at Leeds, but he is a young keeper and patricio is far closer to his prime and technically side by side remove the one plays for wolves lenses, there is sod all between them in terms of quality
Realist. I like it. Hopefully Hobbs will find someone better

Back
Top Bottom