Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not convinced we was that fussed with Yuri......it was a last minute push.....had we been interested we would have moved before last minute surely.....the loan option wasn't a problem.....as soon as the agents fees went up we ran a mile.....hence we was overly fussed..... personally don't think he is good enough for the premier league.....worth a look but not nailed on good enough,.
He had a list of targets yuri was in it, but they didnt want to spend money anywhere.

We cant due to PSR

any upfront agent fee was a no to.

Targets were being worked on front end but finances made them impossible these are more obscure targets we werent aware of,
Che adams was one though.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not being convinced...that's why....there was nothing financially in that deal, that despite our problems wasn't achievable....alright apart from arguments over agents fees which we probably due to it being last minute.com......

He probably came into the bracket that O'Neil said he wasn't bothered about......
Probably in the bracket of o'neil which is i dont know if he improves us dont take the risk

But he has been on radar for at least a good 15 months

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He had a list of targets yuri was in it, but they didnt want to spend money anywhere. We cant due to PSR. Any upfront agent fee was a no to.
Hot damn, how close are we to breaching this thing? Couldn't even afford to spend an agent's fee...

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
He had a list of targets yuri was in it, but they didnt want to spend money anywhere.

We cant due to PSR

Targets were being worked on front end but finances made them impossible these are more obscure targets we werent aware of,
He was offered to us and the player wanted the move. The agent moved the goalposts at the eleventh hour.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hot damn, how close are we to breaching this thing? Couldn't even afford to spend an agent's fee...
Agent moved goalposts, made it difficult to renegotiate but we arent paying anything upfront we need a 9m profit this year and they are going to just squeak it they want to make sure, no chance of any doubt

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was offered to us and the player wanted the move. The agent moved the goalposts at the eleventh hour
I would say the agent asked for more fees cause he had a lot of work to do very quickly...last minute like all of us would....if we had done the deal earlier he MAY not have asked for more..he wouldn't turn a pay day up surely.....we was being cheeky last minute, so he returned the offer I would say.....he wanted overtime rate....

Can't see agents fee being a problem on loan or loan options.....unless you thought the player wasn't worth it.....

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would say the agent asked for more fees cause he had a lot of work to do very quickly...last minute like all of us would....if we had done the deal earlier he MAY not have asked for more..he wouldn't turn a pay day up surely.....we was being cheeky last minute, so he returned the offer I would say.....he wanted overtime rate....

Can't see agents fee being a problem on loan or loan options.....unless you thought the player wasn't worth it.....
We arent talking 50k here, his ownership is split over 2 owners, it was a big whack of an agent fee upfront. Its mainly trying to sort out both ownership parties etc happy, really difficult with south american transfers especially brazillians, we found that with gomes

I'm told it comes down to some issues over his ownership, maybe even more so than any agent problems that have been mentioned. The two things are slightly entwined.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We'll be in the clear, but personally think it'll be sell to buy again in the summer, think people believe we'll have loads to spend. Just can't see it, Fosun seems happy to run the club at the bare minimum needed
Why do you say they’re happy?……..you don’t think they wouldn’t love to have the loot to buy a top CL player?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I ain't surprised Hobbs had no time to get a striker in the amount of time he has to update people on here with all the facts.....
Im not getting it from hobbs you jest, but its knowledgeable that yuris transfer fell down with westham due to the agent split ownership, its the same with wolves

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We cant due to PSR

Thanks for all your info - and I have a strong affinity with your location btw having worked there for the last 2.5 years.

The part I'm struggling with was why we were running around on the last days trying to solve the No. 9 crisis.

I assume the answer is very similar to Broja's case - in that the initial price started way too high and it was a game of poker where we waited and waited and price came down but not quite enough and someone else stepped in before we could do the deal. Those that were available within the price we were willing to pay were not deemed to be good enough by GON and so would have been a benchwarmer like Silva and Sasa and not expect many minutes?

Still think we are horribly light - it was telling to me yesterday that at the end of the half-time interval we had 6 subs warming up on pitch and 3 in the changing room who were going to come on in the second half (Fraser being the only one of the 6 who also came on). In essence GON has no intention of bringing the others on and they are benchwarmers/replace injuries.

With Hwang and Bouba coming back from Cups we potentially have 5 players to come on - Sarabia, Bellegarde, Traore, Gomes, Doc (assuming Hwang, Doyle and RAN start) plus occasionally Fraser. We have some rotation options but in the PL which is becoming more like rugby with a "starting 11" and a "finishing 11" we remain with limited options in the finishing 11 to step it up.

Overall - a lot better than I expected this season and we should be in a decent financial position for next season.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
GON's record with us makes him a much more attractive proposition going forward. At some point, very possibly sooner rather than later, he may well get fed up with the BS from on high and vote with his feet. Sound familiar?

Doubtless in those circumstances he would be labelled as a "Judas" by those who buy all of the club's PR spin and BS....
He may not consider it as BS like you do.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks for all your info - and I have a strong affinity with your location btw having worked there for the last 2.5 years.

The part I'm struggling with was why we were running around on the last days trying to solve the No. 9 crisis.

I assume the answer is very similar to Broja's case - in that the initial price started way too high and it was a game of poker where we waited and waited and price came down but not quite enough and someone else stepped in before we could do the deal. Those that were available within the price we were willing to pay were not deemed to be good enough by GON and so would have been a benchwarmer like Silva and Sasa and not expect many minutes?

Still think we are horribly light - it was telling to me yesterday that at the end of the half-time interval we had 6 subs warming up on pitch and 3 in the changing room who were going to come on in the second half (Fraser being the only one of the 6 who also came on). In essence GON has no intention of bringing the others on and they are benchwarmers/replace injuries.

With Hwang and Bouba coming back from Cups we potentially have 5 players to come on - Sarabia, Bellegarde, Traore, Gomes, Doc (assuming Hwang, Doyle and RAN start) plus occasionally Fraser. We have some rotation options but in the PL which is becoming more like rugby with a "starting 11" and a "finishing 11" we remain with limited options in the finishing 11 to step it up.

Overall - a lot better than I expected this season and we should be in a decent financial position for next season.
They had targets all window finances meant they couldnt do them, there was running around as gon wanted a 9 they wanted to support him. They worked on targets but no means.

Check Gons interviews and pressers, its pretty much we have targets we are working on thing, they were working on Yuri Tuesday into Wednesday.

But gon pretty much is signing off on what he feels will benefit the squad and who meets his needs.

Its why mosquera and hodge are on loan. Its why sasa and fabio were deemed not good enough, they dont fit his wants as a 9 and get his philosophy.

Are we short of a number 9? Yeah. But I felt we were short of a number nine when those two were still here, so we're still short. That's where we are.

"I was really keen not to panic and just sign anyone. The financial stuff was an issue for us.

"We were speaking to Chelsea about Broja for a lot of the day. We just couldn't afford to do it financially with where it ended up.

"That's where we are as a football club, but we haven't been deducted 10 points, we're still together and putting in performances. We'll try keep moving it that way until the end of the season."

Lemina, cunha, hwang do. Neto is a talent, and sarabia has shown gon what he wanted, he knuckled down and proved why he should start, unlike the jonnys or fabios

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i think the judas thing would depend whether he uses his mates in the media to tout him for any available job before the end of the season
Hear hear!

Never met the man, ( like most of us I suspect), but he strikes me as a decent, principled bloke. Also I think that Jeff and Hobbs are keeping Gary in the loop this window.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We wanted Broja he turned us down big deal he’s absolutely pony anyway

We move on. Summer will be changes as we all expect

It’ll be interesting to see how Fulham’s season goes now.

They were doing OK and Raul had found form. He’s now injured and will be out for a few weeks at least.

Broja apparently has a clause that he needs to start if fit. But how does that work when Jimenez is back?

Is the current version of Broja better than an in form Raul. They won’t both play, unless Raul plays off the left.

Interesting to see how that dynamic impacts squad harmony.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why , when we were not playing Sasa and Silva since the Autumn , did it all get left to the last 10 hours of the window ?
That is not a rhetorical question , can we have an answer .

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why , when we were not playing Sasa and Silva since the Autumn , did it all get left to the last 10 hours of the window ?
That is not a rhetorical question , can we have an answer .
Finances did not allow any of the top targets to go after.

They had targets but could not pay them, they had these targets already looknig for discussion in very early jan

Two were ings and adams, which quite quickly due to wages and potential up front fee couldnt be done

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have zero idea how we can let so many players go out on loan (and one sold) and yet we are unable to bring anyone in even on loan. I smell backtracking BS.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Headline misleading but you get the point, we need a 9m profit and we have purchased players this year as well as sales they dont want to risk anything but meeting the profit then will look to make pruchase next year

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score

Headline misleading but you get the point, we need a 9m profit and we have purchased players this year as well as sales they dont want to risk anything but meeting the profit then will look to make pruchase next year
Does the Doyle fee count or does that come out of next seasons budget?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Finances did not allow any of the top targets to go after.

They had targets but could not pay them, they had these targets already looknig for discussion in very early jan

Two were ings and adams, which quite quickly due to wages and potential up front fee couldnt be done
So why not deal with the Corinthian target in November or December , or the PSG target or Broja .
or better still move on to backup targets we can afford before Christmas. Because it was clear Silva and Sasa were going in November . Why discuss deals in January ?

Last edited:

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They were doing OK and Raul had found form. He’s now injured and will be out for a few weeks at least.

Broja apparently has a clause that he needs to start if fit. But how does that work when Jimenez is back?

Is the current version of Broja better than an in form Raul. They won’t both play, unless Raul plays off the left.

There was no way we’d guarantee him 10 starts once Hwang came back, and forking out that £4m for a three month loan is outrageous.

I think Broja will be more of a stop gap for them until the end of the season, as he would have been for us. If he plays well for them and his knee holds up, maybe we’ll go back in for him permanently in the summer.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im not getting it from hobbs you jest, but its knowledgeable that yuris transfer fell down with westham due to the agent split ownership, its the same with wolves
Never said it didn't......just said we jumped at the first sign of a problem cause we probably wasn't interested that much in the player....and we didn't consider the financial risk , whether it's was small or massive worth it......had we been interested we would have moved a lot earlier because in comparison it was probably a cheaper deal than some of the others......

Can't see the agents fees being anymore than the one for Broja...

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have zero idea how we can let so many players go out on loan (and one sold) and yet we are unable to bring anyone in even on loan. I smell backtracking BS.
It is always difficult to separate bull**** from incompetence. But then often it’s both .

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We wanted Broja he turned us down big deal he’s absolutely pony anyway

We move on. Summer will be changes as we all expect
According to O'Neil we couldn't match Fulham loan offer financially....so Chelsea would have gone with the better offer surely.....don't think it was a straight choice....

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hear hear!

Never met the man, ( like most of us I suspect), but he strikes me as a decent, principled bloke. Also I think that Jeff and Hobbs are keeping Gary in the loop this window.
I have found decent principled men have high standards . And do not expect loyalty from others unless they have given it to them .

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You have to admire Fulham . Jimmy was injured and they needed to replace him within weeks . Wolves saw him poleaxed and 7 windows later still haven’t replaced him .

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You have to admire Fulham . Jimmy was injured and they needed to replace him within weeks . Wolves saw him poleaxed and 7 windows later still haven’t replaced him .
The truth hurts. Okay we don’t have 35m to fling on a player anymore

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score

Agree, will be interesting. I think it's one of the main reasons we walked away. You can't have a player have a guaranteed place in the side if fit. Our squad is pretty tight and happy at the moment. That could have really upset the apple cart. If that clause is right it's crazy that Fulham would accept it. A players place has to be determined by merit and by the autonomy of the manager to pick the side he wants for specific fixtures.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So why not deal with the Corinthian target in November or December , or the PSG target or Broja .
or better still move on to backup targets we can afford before Christmas. Because it was clear Silva and Sasa were going in November . Why discuss deals in January ?
Ekitike wasn't a target just linked we were involved in discussions due to psg but never chased it like Frankfurt. Brentford were more active with Hugo than us.

They weren't clear on finances in November and a December moving picture and we were in a very different league position then also

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not a moaner by any stretch....but Jimenez only got injured Tuesday night and by Thursday they had Broja on loan .....our couple of months search was fruitless....

Had we said at the start due to finances we won't sign anybody I would have been fine ..

Last edited:

Rhoswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My only hope in the summer is all the alleged ITKs, who've yet again proven to know the square route of zero, desist and find another pastime.

Saltyjim

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Related stuff, but there was an article in the Metro discussing Chelsea and how they need to sell a homegrown player or two this accounting period. Hence why Gallagher keeps getting mentioned and their keenness to get some money for Borja. Trouble is every Prem club knows they are desperate and therefore playing hardball on prices. Makes you realise how lucky we were to get Saudi money for Ruben and the deais we got for Collins and Nunes.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ekitike wasn't a target just linked we were involved in discussions due to psg but never chased it like Frankfurt. Brentford were more active with Hugo than us.

They weren't clear on finances in November and a December moving picture and we were in a very different league position then also
I am not sure how we can’t be clear on finances , we were in a settled position with all summer movements done months beforehand. League position was a moving target but that would only improve our negotiating position with a player. Still we sell SasaAnd Silva , decisions surely made many months ago .

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Related stuff, but there was an article in the Metro discussing Chelsea and how they need to sell a homegrown player or two this accounting period. Hence why Gallagher keeps getting mentioned and their keenness to get some money for Borja. Trouble is every Prem club knows they are desperate and therefore playing hardball on prices. Makes you realise how lucky we were to get Saudi money for Ruben and the deais we got for Collins and Nunes.

Only downside with the market now is we might not get the pay-out for Neto we want. Plus it makes those 15-20m buys that Wolves like to make seem to be less value if the cap to selling them on is reduced.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If GON went elsewhere in similar circumstances, regardless of whether or not he kicked up a stink, I can guarantee a sizable contingent of Wolves fans would be calling him every name under the sun without considering the common denominator in all of it. The press meanwhile would give us words like "prickly" and "unapproachable" from anonymous sources at the club...

If he was the second manager to leave due to undelivered promises of development, then he would probably be fine reputationally.

Jeff on the other hand……. It will be bloody nasty for him if it is two straight to go because of it, plus his handling of Nuno when he wanted to improve the squad too.

Back
Top Bottom