Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The all new reverse-reverse Gary O’Neil humble pie safe space thread

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Well deserved, took far too personal pelters from people (i know i am one) and has grown into the role and is doing a great job.

He really deserves it!

Walked into a hard situation, where many people like me went in too hard on a guy who didn’t deserve it due to frustrations elsewhere.

I have apologised and said I was wrong enough times, I cannot ever take back what I said at the time. That fills me with a massive amount of shame.

I do hope I can meet Gary and actually apologise for being one of a number of fans who were abusive and toxic to him in a way he didn’t deserve.

But knowing Gary as we do, he will make me feel worse as he is such a nice bloke when I try to apologise……. Hahaha

comes across a real gent and is a great representative for the club and is a person who has the interpersonal skills with the fans I fell in love with.

Deserves the win massively

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well deserved, took far too personal pelters from people (i know i am one) and has grown into the role and is doing a great job.

He really deserves it!

Walked into a hard situation, where many people like me went in too hard on a guy who didn’t deserve it due to frustrations elsewhere.

I have apologised and said I was wrong enough times, I cannot ever take back what I said at the time. That fills me with a massive amount of shame.

I do hope I can meet Gary and actually apologise for being one of a number of fans who were abusive and toxic to him in a way he didn’t deserve.

But knowing Gary as we do, he will make me feel worse as he is such a nice bloke when I try to apologise……. Hahaha

comes across a real gent and is a great representative for the club and is a person who has the interpersonal skills with the fans I fell in love with.

Deserves the win massively
Can I ask you a question, feel free to say no.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was negative time about the style of play, I am allowed to say we were playing badly and lacking movement like early GON

Not once did I used the phrases “PE Teacher” or was actually disparaging about him as a person.

I was putting down the tactics at the time.
No worries. I disagree completely but appreciate the response.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No worries. I disagree completely but apprectiae the response.

If it came across as disparaging to him as a person, then I apologise and that is a consequence of my previous posts and how any criticism of the play can be perceived

I have to own that.

But I apologise and still do for the personal comments I made.

I will always have the ability to be critical of the play. You have to separate being critical of the play, to being critical of the manager as a man.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If it came across as disparaging to him as a person, then I apologise and that is a consequence of my previous posts and how any criticism of the play can be perceived

I have to own that.

But I apologise and still do for the personal comments I made.

I will always have the ability to be critical of the play. You have to separate being critical of the play, to being critical of the manager as a man.
Mate you don't need to apologise, you owned your criticism, as did I.

Thought it was spot on again today

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I felt a bit of a stature shift from the gaffer today. Like he was a calming influence on the sideline, especially in the second half. Like "we got this."

Fact is, the club have just won a big derby and play Man Utd then @Chelsea, and I honestly feel if they team play well the should get something.

That's something.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I called him a ****ing PE Teacher. Embarrassed to say the least.

I didn’t know you did too…….

Genuinely feel ashamed of it…….

Especially after the mates who were feeding me the ****e about how they prepped for Bournemouth admitted to going fully on a wind up a few weeks back…… they didn’t realise I was in a bit of a bad place mentally at the time, just how I would grab it, run with it and spiral down because if it….. shouldn’t have been on here in hindsight…….

So I took people at face value and accepted them as faultless sources which I never normally do…. That is another thing I am upset with myself for.

So I have had a total shocker, let myself down.

I am trying and hoping I get forgiven for it, but it will take time…….

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just love the bloke.

He bore the brunt of the fans frustration when appointed, perhaps understandably but also tbf (me included) OTT.

The way he knuckled down, brought together this group of players, and is now getting Nuno level adoration from the away end is quite simply incredible. Comparasions are unfair and unnecessary however at the same time I would argue the job he has done this season are more impressive than anything Lopetegui achieved last year.

Absolute fair play Gary. Simply unbelievable job so far.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Especially after the mates who were feeding me the ****e about how they prepped for Bournemouth admitted to going fully on a wind up a few weeks back…… they didn’t realise I was in a bit of a bad place mentally at the time, just how I would grab it, run with it and spiral down because if it….. shouldn’t have been on here in hindsight…….

So I took people at face value and accepted them as faultless sources which I never normally do…. That is another thing I am upset with myself for.

Nothing to forgive mate.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't say the GON had a 'solid foundation' laid for him, far from it, but there are worse things for him than to have had the previous old guard removed root and branch prior to his arrival. The players noted above by NWW are: Raul, Neves, Moutinho, Traore, Nunes...

All of them in their own way had gone bad or stale at Wolves. Yes, even Ruben. I know it may cause cognitive dissonance in some, but Gary's midfield duo of Lemina and Gomes is better now in many ways than one with Ruben and Nunes in it. More nimble, dynamic, aggressive, better suited to the modern game of high pressing. Nunes is frankly overrated as City fans are realising, so he's no great loss.

Moutinho, as great as he was, had become a managerial selection headache to JL with his legs long gone, but his reputation intact. Traore too just lingered in his last season, counting the days until he could leave on a Bosman. Maybe Gary could've got something out of Raul, but it seems likely to me he was finished at Wolves too if his renaissance at Fulham is anything to go by. He needed a change of scenery.

From one angle, Gary's team looks thin and lacking depth. From another, it leaks lean and free of flab.
The squad is thin, but the players we have are really punching... a bit like Albion fans.

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Don’t be ashamed if you are the emotional type then you will show emotion, that’s fine, you make things right by admitting it some won’t

tonto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just love the bloke.

He bore the brunt of the fans frustration when appointed, perhaps understandably but also tbf (me included) OTT.

The way he knuckled down, brought together this group of players, and is now getting Nuno level adoration from the away end is quite simply incredible. Comparasions are unfair and unnecessary however at the same time I would argue the job he has done this season are more impressive than anything Lopetegui achieved last year.

I think he feels the love

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just love the bloke.

Hear, bloody hear!

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All it took was a bit of patience and GON has showed us he was worth persevering with. I’m excited for how far he can take this team!

I think if he could have been around as a manager (even with the experience he had when he got our job) and able to have taken over from Nuno instead of the situation from Lage and then into JL, then i think their may well have been a better reaction to the appointment.

As fosun would have had a bit more room and trust in the appointment with how right they got it with Nuno.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think if he could have been around as a manager (even with the experience he had when he got our job) and able to have taken over from Nuno instead of the situation from Lage and then into JL, then i think their may well have been a better reaction to the appointment.

As fosun would have had a bit more room and trust in the appointment with how right they got it with Nuno.
It's water under the bridge now.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Some managers roll out excuses for why they can't achieve something, others work with what they have and get the best out of it. And that's not even mentioning the seemingly endless VAR **** we've had against us this season. The best thing about O'Neil is that he's only going to improve as well.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's so much joy in beating West Brom away that a carefree spirit rises up in us. I'm so happy I'd confess to a crime I didn't commit just to free the police up to do their job elsewhere.

Its shine will fade in a few days but won't ever be forgotten. On a football level, we dealt easily with a poor Championship side. It's the knowledge that so many West Brom fans hate us, but pretend not to, that makes this so sweet.

They will not sleep peacefully for many months and deserve all the inner anguish they experience.

It would hurt more to lose to Villa, their real rivals? Utter tripe and they know it.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's the knowledge that so many West Brom fans hate us, but pretend not to, that makes this so sweet.
They also pretend they don't think they'll beat us. But really, in the 40 years I've been a supporter, they've had some kind of a hold over us that deep down, they always think they will. They seem to have developed a sense of entitlement when it comes to us. And not entirely unreasonable, given the results in that time.

They behaviour today, that isn't a set of fans expecting to lose. That's the anger and outrage of fans whose sense of entitlement has been challenged. Bad losers.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Some managers roll out excuses for why they can't achieve something, others work with what they have and get the best out of it. And that's not even mentioning the seemingly endless VAR **** we've had against us this season. The best thing about O'Neil is that he's only going to improve as well.
I think part of it is he so obviously works an unusual amount. I remember watching a very long interview with him conducted by some bloke from vitality while he was at Bournemouth. I think his hours are basically 6:30a-11p with a little break to see his kids and missus. The man pushes himself as hard as he physically can day after day,. And it adds up.

I think he's just a person who is wired to work very diligently.

(this is the video if anyone cares. no i have not watched the whole thing....i love the man, but that's a lot of Gary, and the guy interviewing him is...i mean he's doing his best I'm sure.)

Last edited:

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

It takes a real man, to admit they were wrong. I always think it takes a real ***hole not to forgive them once that is done.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After the first half I did wonder if the team hadn’t bothered training much and that GON had reverted back to last season Nuno snd Lage ball.

Second half wasn’t much better but GON has got this team gelled, something the pundits and most fans didn’t think he could do in sufficient enough time to avoid the drop. If at all.

Back
Top Bottom