Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If the Saudi release valve dries up, this financial situation is going to be pretty amazing.

I think this is going to absolutely scare the hell out of a lot of owners/investors. Chelsea especially I think are going to be in a panic. They paid what they did thinking they could replicate what they did with the Los Angeles Dodgers and transform their media rights for the better. A trend in the other direction is catastrophic for their outlook.

I expect player prices to plummet, honestly. Not great considering the club are likely to sell Neto, but we shall see. Money is quite a bit more expensive these days anyway....

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Presumably this summer there is a huge fire sale from a lot of clubs. This is highly likely to drive down prices of nearly all players. We are planning to sell our top assets but that could be massively less in the new market.
This will affect clubs that need to sell or want to offload certain players. If though you have a player you dont want to sell you are in the driving seat and can afford to hang on unless you get the price you want. Top players will still command huge fees under the present market.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The FFP situation in the premier league will have knock on effects all round Europe.....Clubs who rely on premier league money to filter through to them especially in countries like France and Portugal will be massively effected.....there is always money every window spent in these countries....

Aylesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I expect player prices to plummet, honestly. Not great considering the club are likely to sell Neto, but we shall see. Money is quite a bit more expensive these days anyway....

It's all relative though. You're correct in that this will not be good for those clubs who are having to sell just to comply with FFP but if clubs, hopefully like Wolves, are going to re-invest the sales proceeds then I guess reduced sales prices won't be an issue if re-investing transfer fees are also reduced.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That stat based recruitment model developed by the Brighton owner must be worth some money now!

Scouting set ups and recruitment teams are going to be crucial and the good ones coveted elsewhere.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That stat based recruitment model developed by the Brighton owner must be worth some money now!

Scouting set ups and recruitment teams are going to be crucial and the good ones coveted elsewhere.

Was hoping Hobbs and our scouts were going to find us a gem from South America in this window. Brighton seem to do it every window.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was hoping Hobbs and our scouts were going to find us a gem from South America in this window. Brighton seem to do it every window.
Can you share who these gems are? Interested to see who signed and when
Is the the 8th window since Jimenez injury ? Groundhog day !!
We are so struggling to score right now as well.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can you share who these gems are? Interested to see who signed and when

We are so struggling to score right now as well.

Havent got a clue mate but was hoping those that do might find us some gems from South America as it looked like we were heading that way last January and in the summer as Brighton have been doing so effectively nearly every transfer window.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Citeh and Brighton have signed one each from South America ( I think) whilst that Andre that Fulham are after has a huge reputation.

Another couple on the level of Gomes would be ideal! Whatever happened to Osorio?

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That's the problem. It's not just scouting players, it's having relationships with local based clubs and agents that let you get the deal done before other clubs.

I remember hearing on some football podcast the main reason Brighton signed one of their star players once wasn't because they were the only club looking at him, but because they were the only club who knew who his actual agent was in his home country. That's the sort of network you need to build especially in the less developed markets where Brighton have had so much success lately.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think anyone on here can/should be excused from a desperation to sign a CF. GoN has done such a good job that we are tantalisingly close to having a really proper team. A proper CF takes us to another level.

I get the finances, but the most important thing is the football and we are so damned close!

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Serious question...could Gary walk?

At present it is a convenient relationship as he is building his reputation. But if he gets frustrated at the slow and out before in methods of our windows and feels he has been promised players we will never sign (like has happened to the other recent managers).... could he walk to a club that back will him. A West Ham etc

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think anyone on here can/should be excused from a desperation to sign a CF. GoN has done such a good job that we are tantalisingly close to having a really proper team. A proper CF takes us to another level.

I get the finances, but the most important thing is the football and we are so damned close!
It's de ja vu

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not for the last 3 months . So thats OK then.
This season in effect, once he got going. It isn't critical we get a top striker in this window is more my point. I would love one, but the window as a whole is dead for a reason. Finally the sea change that is needed in the game? Strange times

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Really? Do we REALLY lack a CF? ****, I've asked a question again

The stats would suggest we need to tighten up a little more the other way.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This season in effect, once he got going. It isn't critical we get a top striker in this window is more my point. I would love one, but the window as a whole is dead for a reason. Finally the sea change that is needed in the game? Strange times
I agree with so much of that .
But I watch Wolves from my seat and long for a central attacker ! It is in my Wolves DNA. It really is an integral part of me being a Wolves fan .

Richards Dougan SEB Kindon Gould Gray Bull Mutch Keane Miller Jimenez Costa

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But I watch Wolves from my seat and long for a central attacker . I ache for one ! It is in my Wolves DNA. It really is an integral part of me being a Wolves fan .

Richards Dougan SEB Kindon Gould Gray Bull Mutch Keane Miller Jimenez Costa
I don't agree with the principle, but I absolutely understand and respect this.

D

Deleted member 13560twfw

I think that maybe we should get a striker on loan, and wait until the financial year ends. There's plenty of strikers out there who would love to play Premier League football, that we could use, and train up to play Gary O'Neil football. Not ones for the future though. I mean, Championship strikers, like Che Adams, or Kelechi Iheanacho. Those two I think would do well. Yet, knowing the clubs, most likely, they would be asking for money. So it depends how much we have got from our players we have sold.

Gold Blood

Groupie
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, would love some new signings and to push on for the remainder of the season but seems like we are in an interesting and pretty decent position atm.
Punching above all expectations and not going down means we are not in a position of desperatly needing to buy which i kind of like tbh and fairplay to GON as that's all down to him.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But I watch Wolves from my seat and long for a central attacker . I ache for one ! It is in my Wolves DNA.
Richards Dougsn Kindon Gould Gray Bull Mutch Keane …
I'd take Steve Kindon out of that list, being from my memory more of a winger/wide and erratic tank :)

Interesting that the names you mention tended to be successful as a pair - notably King John and the Doog, also Bully and Mutch - and the attacking game has arguably changed since their days (single central striker, inverted rather than 'down the line and cross it, Waggy' wingers, etc etc).

Following that last line of argument, it's also in our footballing DNA to have traditional wingers, from (in my day) the great Johnny Hancocks, through Waggy up to, what, best part of a decade ago now?

Things change, things move on, and I guess we just go with the flow - so if it's Hwang plus Cunha, backed up by Nathan, we'll live with it :)

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

At present it is a convenient relationship as he is building his reputation. But if he gets frustrated at the slow and out before in methods of our windows and feels he has been promised players we will never sign (like has happened to the other recent managers).... could he walk to a club that back will him. A West Ham etc
Absolutely possible.

If he keeps us up with effectively with “0” backing and having lost the players that he has, his stock will only rise. But the reality is that he took the job knowing we were in a precarious position working within really tight financial restrictions of PSR. Will things change in the summer? …… I bet he hopes so.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd take Steve Kindon out of that list, being from my memory more of a winger/wide and erratic tank :)

Interesting that the names you mention tended to be successful as a pair - notably King John and the Doog, also Bully and Mutch - and the attacking game has arguably changed since their days (single central striker, inverted rather than 'down the line and cross it, Waggy' wingers, etc etc).

Following that last line of argument, it's also in our footballing DNA to have traditional wingers, from (in my day) the great Johnny Hancocks, through Waggy up to, what, best part of a decade ago now?

Things change, things move on, and I guess we just go with the flow - so if it's Hwang plus Cunha, backed up by Nathan, we'll live with it :)
My only answer would be that we have been told everyone wants a no 9 . GON made it a priority on arrival and reports have said it was a recruitment priority . They just aren’t easy to find . I agree with the wingers but they need a target .

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

I think it would be a big risk for him. I also hope he understands that he's extraordinarily young for a manager (40), and could do with the experience of doing the job he's doing. Sure, he could end up being a trendy pick this summer, but if he continues to do well at Wolves (more or less what he's doing now), his stock is only going to rise. You only get one proper jump up to the "top" clubs.

I mean honestly, he's never even had a preseason as a manager.

I also think this is quietly a very good situation for him. Proper support for a proud club that is important to its community. Established in the Premier League. A quality (if small) squad. Expectations at a reasonable level. There's a lot of very good.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not this window, he took the job knowing it would be with the aim to just keep us up with no or little spending. So he can't really complain about it, even if it would be a shame given we've over produced and have an outside chance of Europe. But if Shi does the same BS with him in the summer I could see him getting his agent to find him something better, especially while his stock is high.

Kennedy

Reaction score

It's obvious from some of the things he has said that Fosun are overriding him, 'looking forward to seeing Yerson play' 'Sasa can't go before a replacement comes in' etc

But, no one is spending, EFC docked 10 points, could be more, Forest in a mess etc etc

This is the new norm. He would be mad to leave for anything other than a once in a lifetime opportunity...

Much as we have made mistakes, there are a LOT of clubs who have wasted millions and millions and would gladly swap places...

I think GON and WWFC are in a good place right now.. Mutually beneficial.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's obvious from some of the things he has said that Fosun are overriding him, 'looking forward to seeing Yerson play' 'Sasa can't go before a replacement comes in' etc

But, no one is spending, EFC docked 10 points, could be more, Forest in a mess etc etc

This is the new norm. He would be mad to leave for anything other than a once in a lifetime opportunity...

Much as we have made mistakes, there are a LOT of clubs who have wasted millions and millions and would gladly swap places...

I think GON and WWFC are in a good place right now.. Mutually beneficial.
The bottom sentence(s)… he wouldn’t have got a better job than us, in a million years.

Jeff et al will be saying “Come on, Gary… your stock is soaring.. we’re sorry you can’t spend at the mo, but we’re going great guns… we can ride this out”.

We’re in a good place… roll back to last Christmas, we were PANICKING.

Back
Top Bottom