Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a Wolves initiation nowadays to be Jeff Shi'd during a transfer window. Promised the world then the bag is empty come time to cough up. He's officially a Wolves manager now.
Funny, but very true.

I think someone should do a graph showing the faces of each of our managers through the window as it dawns on them they aye getting anyone.

First week they look like a starry-eyed kid, by the last week they look like a Man U era David Moyes at full time of another loss.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"The financial side of why, I’m not 100 per cent clear on. Financial fair play or the position of the club financially."

Reaction score
Brighton needed a striker, threw Evan Ferguson in at 18. He’s played 38 times now and is 19.
I think Nathan Fraser should be given a go, he’d get more than Fabio Silva would over a season.

He’s got what 2 goals and an assist in 3 sub appearances. Plus, aside from a superb save v Brentford he could have 1 more

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Funny, but very true.

I think someone should do a graph showing the faces of each of our managers through the window as it dawns on them they aye getting anyone.

First week they look like a starry-eyed kid, by the last week they look like a Man U era David Moyes at full time of another loss.

He's still in denial thinking we'll get the 'plan b's' done. Give him a few more days.

Madmalc

Reaction score
Everyone feeds the press misinformation on the grounds that if they told them the truth it wouldn't be outlandish enough to make publication, and the press would make something up any ways.

shaygriff

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Maybe he's a great poker player and he's indicating to Chelsea that he wants the guy but we're out. We have the bargaining position here, if he doesn't leave they are paying his wages for the rest of the season.
Snap

Milijas

Reaction score
I think the club were banking on some money coming in from Saudi for Guedes or at a push someone like Sa or even Fabio.

Understand the frustration around Sasa going when GON said he wouldn't leave until someone came in. I think him wanting to get in the Austria squad would have been unfair to keep him as he wouldn't really play.

I do think the reaction to Fabio going is unwarranted as I'd actually prefer Fraser, yes we are short but to make a front 3 up out of Cunha, Neto, Sarabia, Bellegarde, Fraser and Hwang (in a few weeks) we are ok.

I'd personally recall Chiquinho if we can?

I can't see us signing a 9 but maybe Noha Lemina or a young wide player on loan.

It looks like we are short goals on paper but I think Hwang especially and Cunha to an extend have scored more than expected it's time for Neto and sarabia to start banging a couple in.

Reaction score
At this time of speculation about so much candy floss I cannot help but long for a little authentic inside information albeit I know this is unrealistic in the extreme.
It also brought to mind a poster I have not seen for sometime Cornwall wolf. I do hope his struggle with ill health has a more positive prognosis than he was enduring previously. The last I recall he was accepted on a trial program in the States

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm wondering if this is being said just to get the likes of Chelsea to accept a lower price.

That may have some merit, or we may have to sell or swap someone like Ait Nouri where we at least have cover.
If we're ok but we just cannot spend, and there are other clubs who may be forced into selling.......like Newcastle, Villa and Chelsea, they're in a tougher position than we are because they have potential charges coming if they don't sell. Newcastle have already fessed up, Villa are tentatively warning they will need to sell. Chelsea....**** knows.

Premier League players are expensive and they have high wages, that premium arrived when they came to England.
Only the very best players are going to attract the richest clubs, the rest are too expensive for what they offer (your Guedes etc). Those players will not be forced out of an existing contract with a salary cut
So they either get sold to Saudi, or the club accepts a lower price and transfers the contract to somebody else.
We got so lucky with Neves and its timing....if that Saudi league blows up there will be less avenues to choose.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"The financial side of why, I’m not 100 per cent clear on. Financial fair play or the position of the club financially."
From the same article - Now, after a meeting with the Wolves hierarchy on Tuesday, O’Neil has admitted the club’s ability to bring in top targets has worsened as they are priced out by parent clubs.

You yourself have said you aren’t asking them to overpay, so I assume you agree with them looking at other targets?

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. He used the words 'it's disappointing'.
Ah the joys of a ‘quote’ out of context of a bigger quote to fit an agenda.

If you read the whole bit rather than just your selected two words it has a bit less impact. It’s disappointing because we felt we were making headway, but ultimately not doable.

We had a meeting yesterday and it looks like they're not going to be doable financially for us, at this point. We're back to looking at other options that we might be able to do.

"It's disappointing firstly because we felt like we were making some headway on a couple, but it looks like they're not going to be doable.

"As I've been since you started asking me about the transfer window, I don't want it to be seen as a negative because the group we have has given us so much so far. I'm delighted to keep working with them.
"I'm not just going to sign anybody. It's not that we need a number nine so we'll take anyone we can get, we need to take people that deserve the opportunity to play for Wolves and are good enough to help the group.

"January is tricky and prices are sometimes inflated when clubs don't want to lose their good players. If we can't find ones that help us and I think are credible to play for Wolverhampton Wanderers, then we'll go with what we've got which is fine."

Last edited:

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sounds like there is a good chance no-one comes in, which if we get reasonably lucky with injuries, is not the end of the world. Big if though. This would obvs be a little disappointing, not just for us, but O’Neill by the sounds?

In fairness, you could prob make an argument that Fraser is likely to be more effective than Fabio or Sasa as backup, but he should be out on loan playing games really? An injury or two and him needing to start would really not be ideal.

Once we get past June, and our financial concerns supposedly ease, we really need to start seeing some proper investment in this squad? O’Neill and the players have really dug us out of a potential hole this season, but it needs building on.

We used to be so decent with loan to buys? Jonny, Raul, Boly, Jota etc? Whatever happened to that?

Last edited:

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

If you read the whole bit rather than just your selected two words it has a bit less impact. It’s disappointing because we felt we were making headway, but ultimately not doable.

We had a meeting yesterday and it looks like they're not going to be doable financially for us, at this point. We're back to looking at other options that we might be able to do.

"It's disappointing firstly because we felt like we were making some headway on a couple, but it looks like they're not going to be doable.

"As I've been since you started asking me about the transfer window, I don't want it to be seen as a negative because the group we have has given us so much so far. I'm delighted to keep working with them.
"I'm not just going to sign anybody. It's not that we need a number nine so we'll take anyone we can get, we need to take people that deserve the opportunity to play for Wolves and are good enough to help the group.

"January is tricky and prices are sometimes inflated when clubs don't want to lose their good players. If we can't find ones that help us and I think are credible to play for Wolverhampton Wanderers, then we'll go with what we've got which is fine."
an excellent share.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Finally some context!

Now what exactly in there is new to us? And so outrageous?

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No disrespect but you seem to imply that there was no effective research. How do you know?
Is this view based on bias?
I said effective , so results ! Our priority has been a central attacker for at leat 6 months ( may be 4 years ).

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At least he's not telling the world he needs new players because the current group aren't good enough, unlike a recent manager.
My guess is our offers for players have been going up and the sellers offers coming down but we've reached our limit and have sensibly walked away.
I read some posts on here and it's made to sound like buying a tin of beans from Asda. We know we only have a £1 coin and it's priced at £1.50 but we've taken it to the till anyway, telling everyone it will be OK. These deals are very complex and there's lots of offer and counter offer.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m still hopeful we will get somebody in later in the window. I’ve managed to (just about) stay relaxed this window and I’m going to stay this way, hopefully.

Of course we need a striker but if we’ve had goalposts moved on us then there’s not a lot we can do, especially if we are working on extremely rigid and strict budgets.

In terms of loaning Sasa and Fabio out, it is what it is. At a push I’d have kept Fabio as he’s at least mobile and can play off the left too, Sasa needed games and simply wasn’t going to get them in a system that he couldn’t be less suited to, in fact I’m trying to think of a striker in world football who would be less suited to how we play and I’m struggling.

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sometimes I genuinely think some people would prefer to read quotes from GON along the lines of ‘whatever we do we have to sign a number 9 in this window as we are threadbare in that area. It’s tough in January but we’ve looked at our financial situation and we’re fine so should be able to meet the prices that other clubs are asking for, which as we know are inflated in January’.

fleck1

Reaction score
Id take anything coming out of the club and GON at the moment with a pinch of salt and judge the window when its closed. We know we are operating on a limited budget and most would expect the window to move a little this week, so potentially freeing up players to move and some loan options. Gary could well be being genuine but may also as likely playing the pauper to drive a deal down.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Back
Top Bottom