Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Lopetegui Book of Condolences...

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I thought O'Neil's outstanding work would soften the stance towards Lopetegui.

He inherited a club in a mess and going down. He kept us up. He walked when promises were broken.

If we had then failed and gone backwards, I could perhaps understand resentment towards him.

Instead, we've kicked on and have O'Neil doing a great job. So why can't we appreciate Lopetegui took us out of the **** and O'Neil has built on his good work by doing superbly well?

Yes, his interviews were annoying, but even his biggest critics will acknowledge he had a point with how it plays out.

Him running his mouth was a small price to pay for keeping us in the league. He's gone, we've improved. Happy days.
**** him.
All this GON built on his good work stuff is absolute nonsense.
We are fitter, more of a threat going forward, defensively more solid at defending set pieces and are a far more entertaining side than we had under the Primark Joe, and all after losing Neves, Raul, Nunes, Traore, Podence, Moutinho and Collins.
That is a ridiculous pool of players to be losing, and still smashing it.

We owe Primark Jose nothing but disdain. He was wrong.

If anything, it shows how good GON is, and how wrong Primark Jose was in thinking we aren't good enough to make an impact.
Shows how limited a coach he is.

NottsWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not going to go over old ground with regards to him leaving, but given nearly every club is having to focus on FFP, his comments can’t be a good factor for clubs considering him.

He clearly wants money to spend which no one can really offer right now, not even Newcastle.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** him.
We are fitter, more of a threat going forward, defensively more solid at defending set pieces and are a far more entertaining side than we had under the Primark Joe, and all after losing Neves, Raul, Nunes, Traore, Podence, Moutinho and Collins.

If anything, it shows how good GON is, and how wrong Primark Jose was in thinking we aren't good enough to make an impact.

Well it's not as O'Neil was only coming into a Premier League club because of Lopetegui.

I agree about the things you say in terms of fitness, goals etc. but that only requires praising O'Neil, not slamming Lopetegui.

I don't think you can call him limited with his CV. Ultimately, he arrived here with one massive job, and he achieved the goal we wanted.

I wasn't pleased with how he left but I recognise he kept us up which was a massive task.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well it's not as O'Neil was only coming into a Premier League club because of Lopetegui.

I agree about the things you say in terms of fitness, goals etc. but that only requires praising O'Neil, not slamming Lopetegui.

I don't think you can call him limited with his CV. Ultimately, he arrived here with one massive job, and he achieved the goal we wanted.

I wasn't pleased with how he left but I recognise he kept us up which was a massive task.
Was it that big with the players we had? Did he have that big an impact? Maybe I am being a little unfair, but I cannot stand what he did to this club, and I am over the moon he is still out of work.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not going to happen, they like it too much

giphy.gif

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Apologies as it was me who dredged this thread up. Didn't want to start a new Lopetegui thread and it wasn't my intention to start any mudslinging. It's just that since Forest and Everton have been charged with breaking the financial rules I've been thinking about how it has really changed the narrative further regarding Lopetegui's decision to leave.

Since all that broke, the press have continually used us as a justification for charging Forest and Everton because we were prepared to get our house in order by selling key players and losing our manager, risking our Premier League status in doing so. I think in English football in general, that's portrayed Lopetegui in a negative light, suggesting he was being unreasonable. On top of that, GON has out performed him as a manager. It just hasn't been a good few weeks for him.

I've no idea where we would be in the league now if Lopetegui was still our manager. However, if he was here, that would mean we would have spent money to keep him happy (and maybe not sold a few that we did), broken the financial rules, and be facing a points deduction. I certainly don't miss the drama of the 'will he stay, will he leave' press conferences and media interviews that we had to put up with on an almost weekly basis. A bit like having a partner with a wandering eye who threatens to leave every so often unless you get that boob job you promised but can't afford anymore :D

Reid1877

Reaction score
Just reading some of these posts makes me laugh. He’s, been gone, done a great job whilst here. Undoubtedly saved us from championship football when we were a mess under Lage then Davis, sitting rock bottom on 10 points.

GON is doing great things at the moment which I never saw coming. But ultimately this shows overall the board knows more about football and recruitment than we do.

Regardless of the summer conversations Lopegetui had with the board, remember you all watched Wolves play Brighton in the Premier League last night because of him.
There’s not many others who would have pulled us out that hole last season.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
**** him.

We also need to recognize that Jeff &co. brought Gary in……he didn’t just get off at the wrong bus stop.

loppers86

Reaction score
And, pray tell us, what do you think of the job GON has done for us, since your so called saviour left us in the lurch?
GON has been fantastic. absolutely wonderful as i’ve been saying for weeks.

I’m not the one who dragged this thread up to have a go at Lopetegui. The people who do that probably boo Jota and will boo nuno (if and) when he comes back with a different team.

Loppers was lied to and he saved us. then he left us with a platform that GON has built on. But many on here think he’s the antichrist. he really isn’t.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was devastated when Lopetegui left, and astounded when GON was appointed.

Yet, Lopetegui never really felt like he was our manager. Can’t quite explain it.

Yet Gary on the other hand. Things just feel right again at the moment. The squad and manager seem made for each other.

Really not sure where Lopetegui goes from here. The Angel for a curry with Bully perhaps?

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whilst people praise hobbs for GON he is pilloried for beale.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yet, Lopetegui never really felt like he was our manager. Can’t quite explain it.

Yet Gary on the other hand. Things just feel right again at the moment. The squad and manager seem made for each other.

Really not sure where Lopetegui goes from here. The Angel for a curry with Bully perhaps?
I was a big fan of JL before he came but the second paragraph is exactly how I feel. He didn’t ever feel “ours” or indeed that he actually wanted to be here.

Mel Eves on a bike

Reaction score
Apologies as it was me who dredged this thread up. Didn't want to start a new Lopetegui thread and it wasn't my intention to start any mudslinging. It's just that since Forest and Everton have been charged with breaking the financial rules I've been thinking about how it has really changed the narrative further regarding Lopetegui's decision to leave.

Since all that broke, the press have continually used us as a justification for charging Forest and Everton because we were prepared to get our house in order by selling key players and losing our manager, risking our Premier League status in doing so. I think in English football in general, that's portrayed Lopetegui in a negative light, suggesting he was being unreasonable. On top of that, GON has out performed him as a manager. It just hasn't been a good few weeks for him.

I've no idea where we would be in the league now if Lopetegui was still our manager. However, if he was here, that would mean we would have spent money to keep him happy (and maybe not sold a few that we did), broken the financial rules, and be facing a points deduction. I certainly don't miss the drama of the 'will he stay, will he leave' press conferences and media interviews that we had to put up with on an almost weekly basis. A bit like having a partner with a wandering eye who threatens to leave every so often unless you get that boob job you promised but can't afford anymore :D
Will you be getting the boob job in the summer when finances look better though, that’s the big question?

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Will you be getting the boob job in the summer when finances look better though, that’s the big question?
Fortunately my partner hasn't got a wandering eye and knows I'm ****ing gorgeous, so I don't need one. At least, to my knowledge anyway, she hasn't mentioned it in a press conference or an interview with Guillem Balague recently.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

Great post.

I’m slightly different in that up until the moment he didn’t bring Raul on in that last game against Everton (that really irked me), I loved everything about Lopetegui (except for a couple of those away results and that awful Lamborghini song). Loved the confidence, loved the ambition, loved the passion on the touchline and was genuinely excited about what he could achieve with us.

Having done a fabulous rescue job to keep us up, where he prioritised points over style, I thought we looked genuinely brilliant in some of our pre-season games. Looked much fitter and had worked out a system that suited our runners like Nunes (who was sensational), Neto and Cunha. That United performance and set-up was where he had left us.

I actually still don’t blame him for leaving. The project he signed up to was changed twice and I think he saw himself as unable to achieve his ambitions without continued investment.

Where I have changed my mind is that I don’t blame the Club either now. At the time, I thought that for the sake of £20m on signing Alex Scott, we were throwing away the best opportunity we would have to compete with the bigger boys in my lifetime. I didn’t appreciate just how serious our financial position was and the punishments that were going to be headed our way if we didn’t get our house in order.

I was mortified by the O’Neil appointment but as I’ve said previously, the moment that he fully won me over was actually in the way he spoke after the Fulham defeat. His calm, measured comments about how these decisions were impacting the lives of the supporters and damaging his reputation as a Manager trying to make his way at a big club really resonated with me. That, along with our performances over the last 6-8 weeks, just makes him and us feel like a great fit for each other right now.

Anyway, long way of saying…

- Grateful to JL for keeping us up when we were in an awful situation (incredible to think we could have had Michael Beale).
- Don’t really blame either party for the break in the Summer. Both sides made the decisions they felt were right at the time.
- O’Neil is doing a phenomenal job and things just feel right.

All’s well that ends well.

loppers86

Reaction score
Great post.

I’m slightly different in that up until the moment he didn’t bring Raul on in that last game against Everton (that really irked me), I loved everything about Lopetegui (except for a couple of those away results and that awful Lamborghini song). Loved the confidence, loved the ambition, loved the passion on the touchline and was genuinely excited about what he could achieve with us.

Having done a fabulous rescue job to keep us up, where he prioritised points over style, I thought we looked genuinely brilliant in some of our pre-season games. Looked much fitter and had worked out a system that suited our runners like Nunes (who was sensational), Neto and Cunha. That United performance and set-up was where he had left us.

I actually still don’t blame him for leaving. The project he signed up to was changed twice and I think he saw himself as unable to achieve his ambitions without continued investment.

Where I have changed my mind is that I don’t blame the Club either now. At the time, I thought that for the sake of £20m on signing Alex Scott, we were throwing away the best opportunity we would have to compete with the bigger boys in my lifetime. I didn’t appreciate just how serious our financial position was and the punishments that were going to be headed our way if we didn’t get our house in order.

I was mortified by the O’Neil appointment but as I’ve said previously, the moment that he fully won me over was actually in the way he spoke after the Fulham defeat. His calm, measured comments about how these decisions were impacting the lives of the supporters and damaging his reputation as a Manager trying to make his way at a big club really resonated with me. That, along with our performances over the last 6-8 weeks, just makes him and us feel like a great fit for each other right now.

- Grateful to JL for keeping us up when we were in an awful situation (incredible to think we could have had Michael Beale).
- Don’t really blame either party for the break in the Summer. Both sides made the decisions they felt were right at the time.

agree. just done like people slagging off loppers when he was clearly sold a pup by the incompetent liar that is jeff shi.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was a big fan of JL before he came but on second paragraph is exactly how I feel. He didn’t ever feel “ours” or indeed that he actually wanted to be here.
The videos when he arrived, walking around slapping everyone on the back. I got the feeling, his thoughts were he was doing us all a big favor.
Let's be honest, the team that Lage had bottom, was way better than that. With the January additions to the squad, plus the world cup break, it wasn't the achievement of the century to keep us up.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great post.

A good, balanced post which also takes-in the comment from @sedgewolf 1980. "Yet, Lopetegui never really felt like he was our manager. Can’t quite explain it."

I also never warmed to Loppy, despite him keeping us up The football for the most part was poor and he didn't solve our scoring problem in the way that GON has. Staying up was mostly built on our home form with a tight defence and 1-0 wins. Maybe that was what was required, but it wasn't pretty and it certainly wasn't entertainment.
However, this is where I disagree with @ Tring Wolf when he says "Don't blame either party for the break in the summer". I do blame Loppy for the way he left us. It was messy, unprofessional and selfish!
I've also seen some comments about Loppy having 'one job to do', which was keep us up. That was his primary job which he achieved, but he was also hired to move us forwards (after maintaining our Prem status), which he bottled because he didn't believe that he could do so without spending money and risking us falling-foul of FFP/PSR. Rather than just hold his hands up, when the financial situation became clear and walk, he preferred to undermine the club, leaving us in the lurch at the worst possible time, also taking the spine of our support staff and millions from the club coffers. For that, I don't forgive.
Anyway, all water under the bridge now and we're having our best Prem spell under GON, since pre-covid Nuno. We're again, receiving praise from those who aren't Wolves' fans and the football is entertaining. Loppy is GON and isn't coming back (see what I did there!).
When thinking about Wolves' managers in my time supporting the club, I'll remember Turner, Barnwell, McCarthy and Nuno, fondly, among those who have given me enjoyment and despite Loppy's so-called 'elite status', he won't even register and be forgotten sooner rather than later (unless this thread continues to run and run ;) ).

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A good, balanced post which also takes-in the comment from @sedgewolf 1980. "Yet, Lopetegui never really felt like he was our manager. Can’t quite explain it."

I also never warmed to Loppy, despite him keeping us up The football for the most part was poor and he didn't solve our scoring problem in the way that GON has. Staying up was mostly built on our home form with a tight defence and 1-0 wins. Maybe that was what was required, but it wasn't pretty and it certainly wasn't entertainment.
However, this is where I disagree with @ Tring Wolf when he says "Don't blame either party for the break in the summer". I do blame Loppy for the way he left us. It was messy, unprofessional and selfish!
I've also seen some comments about Loppy having 'one job to do', which was keep us up. That was his primary job which he achieved, but he was also hired to move us forwards (after maintaining our Prem status), which he bottled because he didn't believe that he could do so without spending money and risking us falling-foul of FFP/PSR. Rather than just hold his hands up, when the financial situation became clear and walk, he preferred to undermine the club, leaving us in the lurch at the worst possible time, also taking the spine of our support staff and millions from the club coffers. For that, I don't forgive.
Anyway, all water under the bridge now and we're having our best Prem spell under GON, since pre-covid Nuno. We're again, receiving praise from those who aren't Wolves' fans and the football is entertaining. Loppy is GON and isn't coming back (see what I did there!).
When thinking about Wolves' managers in my time supporting the club, I'll remember Turner, Barnwell, McCarthy and Nuno, fondly, among those who have given me enjoyment and despite Loppy's so-called 'elite status', he won't even register and be forgotten sooner rather than later (unless this thread continues to run and run ;) ).
Excellent.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Lopetegui was the supermodel - all legs and a Gucci handbag. A second mortgage required just to take her out on the town for six months. You knew that you'd be dumped when the bailiffs come knocking but that geeky librarian you went out with for eighteen months left you overcompensating for so much wasted time and so little excitement.

Gary was intended to be little more than a bit of company whilst you got your financial affairs in order. Somehow, this unassuming and mousy woman could rustle up the most amazing meals on a shoestring. After four months you began to feel guilty that you were only using her, but another eight weeks of outstanding homemaking - without trumpets and fanfare - made you realise that love had crept up on you.

Smash West Brom and it'll be marriage and kids.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When the goalposts changed JL should have proven what a good manager he is. Just like GON has come in and is showing that he has the makings of a good manager.

It seems like his man management is good, tactically improving all the time, his handling of the media and PGMOL have been good and most importantly is winning games and giving us some attractive football.

6 months on and JL still waits for the big job, if he ends up at Palace, a club a million miles behind Wolves in terms of history and standing, there’ll be a certain irony, which will be totally lost on JL, which kind of shows why he wasn’t the right man for the job.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Said it before but Lopetegui ****ed himself by failing to grasp the gravity of PSR and the intent of the Premier League to finally enforce it (as did the fans)

He's now in a situation where he's desperate for another job in the Premier League but any club who will reasonably hire him have the same restraints as us

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Lopetegui did a great job keeping us up, got the fans back onside and we played some decent football along the way at times.

But it never really felt like he was “our” manager, I don’t think he really clicked with the club in the way Nuno and now Gary have.

And don’t forget, Lopetegui left partly because he thought this current group of players would get relegated.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lopetegui was the supermodel - all legs and a Gucci handbag. A second mortgage required just to take her out on the town for six months. You knew that you'd be dumped when the bailiffs come knocking but that geeky librarian you went out with for eighteen months left you overcompensating for so much wasted time and so little excitement.

Gary was intended to be little more than a bit of company whilst you got your financial affairs in order. Somehow, this unassuming and mousy woman could rustle up the most amazing meals on a shoestring. After four months you began to feel guilty that you were only using her, but another eight weeks of outstanding homemaking - without trumpets and fanfare - made you realise that love had crept up on you.

Smash West Brom and it'll be marriage and kids.

What a post. LOL

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
When the goalposts changed JL should have proven what a good manager he is. Just like GON has come in and is showing that he has the makings of a good manager.

It seems like his man management is good, tactically improving all the time, his handling of the media and PGMOL have been good and most importantly is winning games and giving us some attractive football.

6 months on and JL still waits for the big job, if he ends up at Palace, a club a million miles behind Wolves in terms of history and standing, there’ll be a certain irony, which will be totally lost on JL, which kind of shows why he wasn’t the right man for the job.

I largely agree with this. However, based on what I have been told (which is fairly close from the horse’s mouth so obviously there is a degree of self-interest here), he was willing to accept the goalposts had moved the first time.

But when they subsequently changed again from ‘you will be able to sign a number of moderately priced, predominantly young players (in the mould of an Alex Scott)’ to ‘you can’t sign anyone at all…even free transfers’, he felt that was a bridge too far and that there wasn’t the level of trust or understanding between him and the club that there needed to be.

He still felt he could keep us up but that without continued investment, each season would be a scrap against relegation and his ambitions stretched beyond that.

I think at that stage, it probably was the right decision for him personally and us to part ways.

Part of me is intrigued as to whether with sustained investment, he may have been able to do something similar to the job Emery is doing now at Villa (personally, I don’t think so as Emery is a level above) but I’m thrilled with where we have ultimately ended up as O’Neil represents the club fantastically and is doing a phenomenal job.

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I wonder with new emphasis on finances and rules that the days of the egotistical, spend loads of money managers like lopetegui and mourinho may be over. Clubs gonna have to be shrewd and balanced in their approach and if clubs like Newcastle can't spend then who is going to give these managers the 'war chest' they always desire when coming in. Will be the start of coaches being brought in to work with the group with minor tweaks to squad, rather than coming in and paying over the odds for players they want. A bit of humility from these managers (and let's be honest agents) is needed and probably about time they took down a peg or two. Not saying they can't still do a job but can't have their own way and ordering clubs around as they have been doing

Back
Top Bottom