Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

On Talksport about 20 mins ago they talked about him. Their experts view was CFC looking for 35m, and the 50m was never credible. Didn’t expect any club to make that sort of investment this month, so said the most likely move, if any, would be a loan with obligation.

My view is I’d be ok with a loan + option. I guess an obligation could be ok if there were some steep trigger clauses which basically requires him to prove he’s worth the money first. eg certain number of appearances and goals Not sure Chelsea likely to bite at that, but maybe if they are desperate and realise it’s their best chance of securing 35m, rather than an even steeper discount come the Summer if he continues to languish in their squad.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what Gon suggests they will continue on this path all year, making sure there is profit this year.

With the minus 46m coming off FFP for next year, they can then purchase and do more financial movements, fosun also want a sustainable return after writing off debt

Its "this sustainable return after writing off debt", which will bring the club down. It removes the scope for manoeuvre, which is essential for an aspirational club like Wolves. Premature demand for repayment or profit-taking undermines the work of coaches and recruitment, and disables the momentuum of a given squad/team.

This season some sterling work in the recruitment has allowed for momentuum to build up, but it is vital to recall that the key players
in Wolves' revival were the January purchases: Cunha, Dawson, Sarabia and Lemina. The club survived last season and have thrived this season because they put money in during the winter transfer window.

FFP/PSR does allow for some manoeuvre, to be used intelligently. The allowable losses are there to give a little strategic flexibility. Player trading, of course, has to happen, but the timing is everything. If strengthening of the squad does occur at critical moments such as the current one, then the club may find itself in the very different position of qualifying for Europe, retaining star players and using the extra income to put together a top 6 season again.

Any owners with real hopes for the development of the club must have this flexibility.

And expand the ground.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shipped out two good strikers? Whether us as fans rate them is fairly irrelevant because GON has give them both absolute minimum game time so clearly doesn’t rate or want them. We have 6 players who can play across the front line without those 2.
I am not against putting them out on loan, if that is the coaching decision. But only if there is at least one replacement.

That should be obvious.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think we’ll try again to offload Johnny from his massive wage to be 3 or 4th choice for either wb position, but he isn’t going anywhere without a pay off and we’ll try and sign another CF
Posted November 8th , it’s not been easy

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not against putting them out on loan, if that is the coaching decision. But only if there is at least one replacement.

That should be obvious.
Is it obvious though? That’s my point. We have 6 players who can play in 3 forward positions without Sasa and Fabio.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Posted November 8th , it’s not been easy
In that period though I personally think GON has showed he doesn’t necessarily want a traditional centre forward type. We play with a more fluid forward 3 rather than one who stays absolutely central and two off them.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it obvious though? That’s my point. We have 6 players who can play in 3 forward positions without Sasa and Fabio.
I presume you mean back up of Sarabia, JJ and Fraser.

For me, that's likely to blow the chance we currently have unfortunately. Would be significantly better with
another player in there, given that an injury to one of the first pick three is more or less guaranteed.

waggys left foot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to the Mail Ings is the target but Hammers may not let him go so might need a plan b

Chelsea want £35m for Broja but there's no chance of us paying that .

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I presume you mean back up of Sarabia, JJ and Fraser.

For me, that's likely to blow the chance we currently have unfortunately. Would be significantly better with
another player in there, given that an injury to one of the first pick three is more or less guaranteed.
all 3 have contributed in the last month and there’s nothing to say we would be “significantly better with another player in there” with the level of target we have/achieve.

dnf14

Reaction score
Hard to tell with that article just being an excerpt but it seems like Uncle George is burning some bridges with us.
Sounds like he was just tooting his own horn about the pathways he can create between clubs for the benefit of his clients' careers and how he's able to prevent loss-making in deals like Neto to Lazio by selling him on for a similar sum to us.
The article could've been packaged as "Mendes could've got Wolves over €100m for Neto" and have the exact same content.

He's a slimy ******* but this is just him advertising his abilities as an agent, hardly anything as personal as "burning bridges."

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And we have shipped out two good strikers, who could have played that backup role.
They really aren't. Fabio has, multiple times, failed to either impress or deliver at the level that we need someone to contribute at.

Sasa was not GON's choice and hasn't really been used in our current set up. Might they work elsewhere? Yes, they might - Fabio showed a bit of spark in Belgium but, again, it's not PL level. They just weren't working for us ... which means they are not good for our way of playing. Therefore, we haven't lost much in terms of actual contribution.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In that period though I personally think GON has showed he doesn’t necessarily want a traditional centre forward type. We play with a more fluid forward 3 rather than one who stays absolutely central and two off them.
So we replace Silva and Sasa with two more flexible attackers ? ;)

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

we are getting somewhere,

if they can agree personal terms with him, just let him go surely? 250k fee whatever, its severe wages off the books

Wed be stupid to prevent it from happening. But i suspect wolves agreement may require us to help push jonny out the door, such as wage payment or something else

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

we are getting somewhere,

if they can agree personal terms with him, just let him go surely? 250k fee whatever, its severe wages off the books

Wed be stupid to prevent it from happening. But i suspect wolves agreement may require us to help push jonny out the door, such as wage payment or something else
I believe they dont want to pay anything for him at this point,and guessing Wolves want some kind of token fee
Also heard they want us to pay his wages lol

dnf14

Reaction score
I believe they dont want to pay anything for him at this point,and guessing Wolves want some kind of token fee
Also heard they want us to pay his wages lol
"We don't want to pay you anything and we also want you to pay his wages" would be quite close to £50m for Broja levels of cheek.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"We don't want to pay you anything and we also want you to pay his wages" would be quite close to £50m for Broja levels of cheek.

Well, he won't want to take a pay cut, and they won't want/be able to pay his wages in full. The clubs that could pay them don't want him, so the alternative is we pay him in full and he rots in the reserves.

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Of pertinent part:

Manchester City are among the clubs tracking Swedish wonderkid Lucas Bergvall, talkSPORT understands.

The 17-year-old midfielder is regarded as one of the hottest young talents in Europe and is being monitored by Pep Guardiola's side.

Wolves are also keen on a move for the Djurgardens starlet.

Both sides will need to beat Barcelona in the pursuit for the player, with the Calatan giants in active talks.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Of pertinent part:

Manchester City are among the clubs tracking Swedish wonderkid Lucas Bergvall, talkSPORT understands.

The 17-year-old midfielder is regarded as one of the hottest young talents in Europe and is being monitored by Pep Guardiola's side.

Wolves are also keen on a move for the Djurgardens starlet.

Both sides will need to beat Barcelona in the pursuit for the player, with the Calatan giants in active talks.
hes a cm isnt he

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wolves like Danny Ings but the former Southampton forward may not be allowed to leave West Ham, who are also depleted. Wolves chased Che Adams last summer and still admire the Southampton striker, yet Saints are pushing for promotion and Adams has nine goals this term.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Wolves like Danny Ings but the former Southampton forward may not be allowed to leave West Ham, who are also depleted. Wolves chased Che Adams last summer and still admire the Southampton striker, yet Saints are pushing for promotion and Adams has nine goals this term.
complete rehash in a quiet window

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not at all sure we're after an out and out number 9.

It might be viewed as placing all your eggs in one basket, after the Jimenez injury and the problems that caused us.

Number 9s are a rare beast, simply because a defence that marks them out of the game stops the opposing team from scoring.

We need another striker to add a different type of threat, I doubt if we've been interested in any of the players we've been linked with, apart from those that fell through last summer.

Ha! It's partly why I chose this name - all those seasons we had a stingy defence but rarely scored much, I was banging on about us needing a proper striker while most here were going on about needing more centre halves. Now finally, we have Hwang scoring at a rate comparable to peak Raul, Cunha also around the top 20 goal scorers in the league and everybody wants us to get a proper striker. :D

FWIW, I now think we need to tighten up our defence. I'm more than happy with our attack, and far more worried about us leaking goals. I will be retaining this forum name.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Both will cost money we dont have unless they loans which i doubt will happen

dnf14

Reaction score

There is literally no new information to be gleaned from that barring the update of Adams' goal tally, must be a slow news day.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And it appears to be working as we are scoring at a higher rate than at any time since our return to this league. Meanwhile, our defence that used to be one of the stingiest in Europes top leagues, often leaks like a sieve.

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It's doesn't bother me what Newcastle do....I find it funny....off course we was helped out with the Neves deal but technically it wasn't the same as it wasn't the same owners at both ends moving the pawns around .....as I say I will find it funny if Newcastle sell a player to Saudi to help with there FFP after everybody was trying to stop them getting an advantage by bringing players in....they forgot about the other scenario...will laugh me balls off ..

If I'm honest about FFP, I hate it......it just there to stop the likes of Newcastle to protect the trophies for the big clubs..... Newcastle owners have all the wealth in the world....can't see how stopping them spending is good financially for the rest of the clubs at all.....they should be going mad in January and spending and that money coming into the game. But they are being stopped cause Liverpool, Man utd etc want all the glory for themselves....
I don't really get this. Perhaps it's being a foreign fan, but when man city win the league, it seems like nobody really cares. Maybe they have fans in the middle east. They don't really in America. It seems like everyone just kind of rolls their eyes.

These people fundamentally don't understand sporting culture. It's all cynicism (much like their whole society, which just pumps its money from the ground as we sugar rush to our planetary doom and then ****es the money away without even having fun with it...these people will be great villains in history very soon).

So yeah, I don't think glory is really even available to them.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't really get this. Perhaps it's being a foreign fan, but when man city win the league, it seems like nobody really cares. Maybe they have fans in the middle east. They don't really in America. It seems like everyone just kind of rolls their eyes.

These people fundamentally don't understand sporting culture. It's all cynicism (much like their whole society, which just pumps its money from the ground as we sugar rush to our planetary doom and then ****es the money away without even having fun with it...these people will be great villains in history very soon).

So yeah, I don't think glory is really even available to them.
FFP was brought in to stop another Man City happening.....it's working cause it's stopping Newcastle spending and challenging...

The big old traditional trans don't want the competition and want to keep all the global wealth that come with it......they don't want the poor people or poor teams getting wealth and disrupting there monopoly...so FFP was born....

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And it appears to be working as we are scoring at a higher rate than at any time since our return to this league. Meanwhile, our defence that used to be one of the stingiest in Europes top leagues, often leaks like a sieve.
I personally don’t think the defensive players as individuals as particularly any worse than that team, just with more attacking threat invariably leads to being more open. We also don’t have two bona fide sitting midfielders now. At times under Nuno neves and Moutinho were so deep they were almost sat on the centre backs toes whereas with Lemina and Gomes both look to get forward more. For me I’ve no issue with the approach as it’s yielding more points than we ever expected under GON and I think on the whole they balance the whole risk v reward conundrum pretty well

Back
Top Bottom