Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They will view yerson getting development as long term better. Clearly Gon has assessed and thinks that Santi and then likely doc can fill in.

He will then use a youth player
Don't mean to be negative, but this is assuming Gary has any or full control over transfers. Saying Yerson will get mintues and then loan out could suggest he doesn't. Or it could just show his quickly things move in January at clubs (but also, there could be a loan fee for yerson)

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When I wrote the post I was actually thinking about Morgan Whittaker, but wasn't clear.

If they would sell for £5m now then great, I actually would take a punt. But like all clubs they are going to over value their best players, if we are talking about £10m then forget it there will be better deals in the summer.

I think Nathan needs a season on loan. He has done well when he has come on, but there is no way he has enough experience to regularly lead the line in the Premier League.

If we can get in one more attacker, sending Nathan to league one until the summer would, I feel, be better for his development - But he has to play. Then get him a season in the championship, even that would be a tall order for a 19/20 year old.

We are lacking another forward, so feel we need to do something.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can see us resorting to a dry loan for someone like Amad Diallo to boost attacking numbers , if we can't get a loan for a striker....

Don't see us committing to a fee for anybody, even if it's only 5m...

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can see us resorting to a dry loan for someone like Amad Diallo to boost attacking numbers , if we can't get a loan for a striker....

Don't see us committing to a fee for anybody, even if it's only 5m...
diallo staying at united from what i gather, win tonight dont think there will be any business but outgoings. Maybe a late movement on Sunday before united game

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
diallo staying at united from what i gather
Well yes....but someone similar who we can't get on loan.....we won't spend a fee.....was we able to or going to , I guess we may have done it by now......

I don't think we will even do a loan obligation if it has to be activated in this FFP period....

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
diallo staying at united from what i gather, win tonight dont think there will be any business but outgoings. Maybe a late movement on Sunday before united game
I have to say it seems like a fiasco how Wolves have approached this transfer window.

Win the next two games and we are in the chase for 6th place and in the 5th round of the cup, a mid-season position as
promising as any in the Fosun era.

Yet we have been unable to bring in one striker as a buffer against the inevitable injuries. And we have shipped out two good strikers,
who could have played that backup role. Similar to the 21/22 January transfer window, we may well be about to blow what has
turned into an excellent season, (indeed an even better potential as the team looks better that that one).

Surely something can be done.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well yes....but someone similar who we can't get on loan.....we won't spend a fee.....was we able to or going to , I guess we may have done it by now......

I don't think we will even do a loan obligation if it has to be activated in this FFP period....
As I understand it, Wolves have been cleared for 22/23, and this season has seen a significant profit, so there should be some leeway to bring a player or two in, especially on loan, with option to buy.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't mean to be negative, but this is assuming Gary has any or full control over transfers. Saying Yerson will get mintues and then loan out could suggest he doesn't. Or it could just show his quickly things move in January at clubs (but also, there could be a loan fee for yerson)
I think you're right on stuff changing quickly, the best thing for Yerson was to be here, than an offer comes in and it changes, no need to over analyse it for me really.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I understand it, Wolves have been cleared for 22/23, and this season has seen a significant profit, so there should be some leeway to bring a player or two in, especially on loan, with option to buy.
From what Gon suggests they will continue on this path all year, making sure there is profit this year.

With the minus 46m coming off FFP for next year, they can then purchase and do more financial movements, fosun also want a sustainable return after writing off debt

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Option yes.....but I reckon we are under going a massive reset with our finances and maybe are hoping for a clear cycle with FFP.....hoping to post a massive profit , this season to clear us ..

We didn't go to the lengths we did in the summer with cost cutting and in January with loans out to suddenly blow it all in the January window with signings...

Loan options yes.....but no fees or loan obligation...

That's just my take, as I see it.....said it January 1st....and haven't seen anything to change my mind...just actions to reinforce it....

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From what Gon suggests they will continue on this path all year, making sure there is profit this year.

With the minus 46m coming off FFP for next year, they can then purchase and do more financial movements, fosun also want a sustainable return after writing off debt
?
I don’t think it’s the ~46 that comes off the next accounting period. It’s the +18 ?

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I actually wouldn’t be too fussed if we don’t bring anyone in this January.
The main reason I’d like to bring in a genuine no.9 is more because it seems our current options there don’t really want to play that role. So maybe it would keep them happy, mind you when 2 of Cunha, Hwang, Neto & Sarabia have to start in the bench they may feel differently…

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have to say it seems like a fiasco how Wolves have approached this transfer window.

Win the next two games and we are in the chase for 6th place and in the 5th round of the cup, a mid-season position as
promising as any in the Fosun era.

Yet we have been unable to bring in one striker as a buffer against the inevitable injuries. And we have shipped out two good strikers,
who could have played that backup role. Similar to the 21/22 January transfer window, we may well be about to blow what has
turned into an excellent season, (indeed an even better potential as the team looks better that that one).

Surely something can be done.
Shipped out two good strikers? Whether us as fans rate them is fairly irrelevant because GON has give them both absolute minimum game time so clearly doesn’t rate or want them. We have 6 players who can play across the front line without those 2.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s exactly my point with it. At present we have 6 players that GON has used up top this season, 7 if we wanted to use RAN there as well.
i think in time we need to consider the 4231 formation as our go to. i don’t think we have anything like the defenders to do that right now.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
i think in time we need to consider the 4231 formation as our go to. i don’t think we have anything like the defenders to do that right now.
I think that is/was always the plan but as you say the defenders are the issue. Collectively they’re ok at cb but for various reasons I wouldn’t trust any of the starting 3 in a back 4. Daws legs have gone, Kilman is too passive and Gomes too aggressive/positionally unaware. Same with the full backs, I’d say Semedo is the only genuine full back I’d trust in a back 4

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Is villareal a mendes club? I am in hope that we have moved guedes and mosquera there as part of a bigger plan. Someone the other day said that villareal have 20% ownership of Dia. Perhaps that has something to do with it and the mendes merry go round. Or that our talks with psg have been nothing to do with etikite, and involves goncalo ramos instead.

Part of me thinks we have enough to be comfortably mid table and to focus on developing what we have with the likes of Fraser, the other part of me thinks like a previous poster has said, in a weeks time we could be in the 5th rnd of the fa cup and right on the coat tails of europe if we beat brighton tonight.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is villareal a mendes club? I am in hope that we have moved guedes and mosquera there as part of a bigger plan. Someone the other day said that villareal have 20% ownership of Dia. Perhaps that has something to do with it and the mendes merry go round. Or that our talks with psg have been nothing to do with etikite, and involves goncalo ramos instead.

Part of me thinks we have enough to be comfortably mid table and to focus on developing what we have with the likes of Fraser, the other part of me thinks like a previous poster has said, in a weeks time we could be in the 5th rnd of the fa cup and right on the coat tails of europe if we beat brighton tonight.
They aren’t one of his close clubs but his reach is far and wide.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
?
I don’t think it’s the ~46 that comes off the next accounting period. It’s the +18 ?
no the plus 18 came off this year is in this year 23/24

hence why we need profit

we nee minimum 9m this year

-46m
-67m
23/24 - ???? (need 9m)

24/25

-67m
23/24
And we then have headroom

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not historically a mendes club....but he may well have influence with transfers.....there isn't many big transfers in Spain or Portugal particularly with moving players abroad that Mendes won't be involved in or used in some capacity....

The fact that we have loaned Yerson to Villarreal could be no coincidence....when that opportunity arouse we could have seen it as a potential to make money in the summer, where as a loan to say Hull for Yerson wouldn't have...

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be a funny one for the FFP police that one if Newcastle start selling players to Saudi to get round FFP....

Especially when everybody was voting to stop Newcastle loaning players from there.

I wonder if Portuguese fans were having the same conversation about Premier League clubs a few seasons back?

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plenty of clubs can complain but after the Neves deal we’re not in a position to do so.
wasnt voted against was it, didnt pass so neves could be loaned back to newcastle. etc i expect newcastle will abuse this for a year

WolvesAndCows

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Alex Crook linking Wolves with 17 year old Swedish player Lucas Bergvall, although Barcelona very much on the radar

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Plenty of clubs can complain but after the Neves deal we’re not in a position to do so.
It's doesn't bother me what Newcastle do....I find it funny....off course we was helped out with the Neves deal but technically it wasn't the same as it wasn't the same owners at both ends moving the pawns around .....as I say I will find it funny if Newcastle sell a player to Saudi to help with there FFP after everybody was trying to stop them getting an advantage by bringing players in....they forgot about the other scenario...will laugh me balls off ..

If I'm honest about FFP, I hate it......it just there to stop the likes of Newcastle to protect the trophies for the big clubs..... Newcastle owners have all the wealth in the world....can't see how stopping them spending is good financially for the rest of the clubs at all.....they should be going mad in January and spending and that money coming into the game. But they are being stopped cause Liverpool, Man utd etc want all the glory for themselves....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom