Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I heard - a few days back - from someone very well positioned:

- Forest are slinging poop at every other club in the bottom half (about FFP), as they're very likely to get a points deduction and want to take everyone down with them.
- Our books are fine, as they stand, but there is a real reluctance to risk them by spending in this FFP year.
- Palace are very very nervous about FFP. Chelsea too, although that's of a wage thing.
- Everton might get hit again. More likely to be docked additional points than it is that they recoup any points.
- Loans are the way for most clubs this January, with any purchases deferred until this accounting period is finished.

So it's probably going to be quiet for a lot of clubs who dread getting dragged in to the FFP furore.

So Ive heard anyway

Also, for no PL club to have made a permanent signing by 10th Jan is very odd!!

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There’s some extreme views on this forward issue and I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. I can see the reasoning for letting Sasa and Fabio go as well as the obvious need for a replacement to come in. Personally I’d be very suprised if we didn’t bring someone in before the window shuts and I think with the relatively low game time in between now and the window closing that’s a calculated gamble to an extent. If it means waiting until the last minute to get a forward we want rather than jumping in now and getting one to “make do” then I’m happy for us to wait.

The views aren’t really that extreme at all, virtually all agree with what you’ve put here.

Nobody is demanding a striker now, because it actually makes no difference at all if we sign one today or not, they can’t play against Brentford anyway.

So the next mark is Brighton away on the 22nd, and nobody is saying we need a striker in for Brighton desperately.

So it’s basically make sure we have one in for the 27th so they can play against Albion if we qualify.

As you rightly point out, Wolves have taken a gamble, which was the point. The result/performance against Brentford will determine whether it’s a gamble that did pay off.

Plovdiv Wolf

Reaction score
I heard - a few days back - from someone very well positioned:

- Forest are slinging poop at every other club in the bottom half (about FFP), as they're very likely to get a points deduction and want to take everyone down with them.
- Our books are fine, as they stand, but there is a real reluctance to risk them by spending in this FFP year.
- Palace are very very nervous about FFP. Chelsea too, although that's of a wage thing.
- Everton might get hit again. More likely to be docked additional points than it is that they recoup any points.
- Loans are the way for most clubs this January, with any purchases deferred until this accounting period is finished.

So it's probably going to be quiet for a lot of clubs who dread getting dragged in to the FFP furore.

So Ive heard anyway
Very insightful

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The flip side to the argument on Raul is we've never successfully replaced him. When he was fit, we were great, when he wasn't fit, we were poor.

Fabio came in and did his best, but ultimately it was too soon for him to be expected to replace one of the best all-round strikers in the PL.

We got Willian Jose in on loan, an expensive flop.

So there's never any guarantee that if you have a plan B, that the plan B will work anyway!

Yes that’s my point, I remember it well and you’re right, it wasn’t a good experience. But we also need to remember that we were trying to find a backup for Raul pretty much the entire time he played for us. Way before Fabio, and for different reasons none were successful. Unfortunately I’d lump both Fabio and Sasa into that group.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
adams fits better than sasa, just for the tactics and pressing forward

Agree Adams would be more effective in our style of play. Would also have said similar about Akpom before he left Boro, but he only really had one good season there. Think he’s doing ok since his move.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Blimey, you are harsh on people! Is there anyone you like at the club? Genuine question

Massive fan of Hobbs! Search my posts about him, nothing but glowingly positive.

Same with Davis and the academy set up!

Our assistant coach, look at my post after his appointment, super positive.

So I am positive about people who do a good job.

Scott Sellers and his failings are a massive reason we ended up with the squad and FFP issues we had.

To go from 2x7th, fa cup semi and Europe quarters to what came next and the failings to improve the squad is a significant failing as we had a great launching point and foundation he had a massive hand in those failings, let alone the balls up with Lage’s departure and also the manager situation before the World Cup that saw us in a right mess.

If you can spin sellers and the tenure of his last job in a positive light as whole, i look forward to it.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As close-to-useless as Ings has become these days, still can't see West Ham letting him go with the news that Paqueta is out for two months and Bowen out for at least a month, likely more. Kudus also away at the AFCON. They're seriously light in forward areas.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Also, for no PL club to have made a permanent signing by 10th Jan is very odd!!

Fees for internal prem moves I don’t see setting any records this summer!

The new checks and actual punishments will drive the money down massively I recon

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That is the right order of plan a - c……

Although I am shocked their isn’t a better plan c than ings!

There might be, but it would be dependent on who signs where.

If West Ham get Etikike, it free up Ings.

If Palace get Adams, it could free up somone like Edouard (for example, not saying that could happen).

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd genuinely rather see us sign nobody, than throw good money at the likes of Ings, or Adams!
Either would be woeful recruitment, IMO.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We’ve had plenty of opportunities to beat them at their place since Iwan Roberts got a hat trick, we just haven’t! Surely if we beat Brentford this time we will
Just got this feeling this could be the absolute making of GON. He could catapult him into hero territory, which is extra-ordinary given where we were after Ipswich.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Happy with either Ings or Adams as cover until the summer, both are an upgrade Sasa & Fabio in terms of a back up striker.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd genuinely rather see us sign nobody, than throw good money at the likes of Ings, or Adams!

Perhaps permanently yes. But on loan, either will probably offer more for the rest of this season than Fabio or Sasa would have in our current setup.

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score
I'm not that fussed about the cups tbh. We ain't likely to win any. I'm more bothered about doing the best we can in the Premier League that we can and trying to get as high as possible.
My dream since a kid (many years ago now) has been to see us in an FA cup final and obviously hopefully win it, in reality during the last 15 years only once has it been won by a team not from the sky 6 and only 3 times in 30 years so although I can't get away from my personal love of it I do understand why anyone has lost that interest and is more concerned with league positions.
I think we are quite safe from relegation and are capable of beating both Brentford and the **** with what we've got anyway so can't see the point in signing anyone just to make up the numbers so unless a decent striker is possible this window it would probably be best to re evaluate things in the summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: DPE

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Adams would be ok at the right price. Still only 27.
Sign him now to help see us through this season, then hopefully buy another in the summer to compete/userp him.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People keep saying 40 points is the aim this season, yet are happy to loan out a guy who is responsible for 10% of that target in half a season (Sasa’s goals vs Bournemouth and Everton)
Wow! There’s abstract analysis, and then there’s this beauty. Honestly, this has made my day :tearsofjoy:

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's not going to be cover for the rest of the season though.

Six months left on his deal so Southampton won't loan him out. Will need to buy him and then you're looking at a 2.5 year contract minimum I would presume.

Or decent loan fee, knowing they'll lost him for nothing in the summer.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
noise in france is wolfsburg offer just a loan for hugo

wolves loan with option, but player needs to be convinced by wolves

and frankfurt looking to come back in due to kaliumendo unlikely

Wolfsburg a fait une offre de prêt payant sans option d’achat pour Hugo Ekitike, rapporte
@lequipe
.Le PSG est dans le même temps en discussions avec Wolverhampton et Francfort, toujours intéressés par le Français.
Translated from French by
Wolfsburg made a paid loan offer without purchase option for Hugo Ekitike, reports
@lequipe
.PSG is at the same time in discussions with Wolverhampton and Frankfurt, still interested in the Frenchman.

In the case concerning Hugo Ekitike, the next few days should prove decisive. There are now three clubs fighting to secure the signature of the French striker. From internal sources, after studying the feasibility of the file for several days, Wolfsburg sent a first paid loan offer, without purchase option, to Paris Saint-Germain.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As already pointed out, Adams wouldn't be a loan with only 6 months left on his contract. It would be a sale or an obligation.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
As already pointed out, Adams wouldn't be a loan with only 6 months left on his contract. It would be a sale or an obligation.
Wouldn't have thought it would be an obligation. Why would we be obliged to pay for a player who is out of contract at the end of the loan? If we get Adams this window it'll be permanent for a fee. Can't see Saints allowing anything else.

Back
Top Bottom