Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve read Hobbs’ statement and I’m really struggling to find why everyone is panicking. It doesn’t say anything we didn’t know or had not been said before. Or been said by us and other clubs in previous January windows.

It does say we will bring in players if we can; that we’ve already done our due diligence; it’s unlikely to be players from a teams 1st XI. The players need to be better than what we’ve got and we’re not going to risk the Summer’s work by breaking the bank. It’s likely that this is going to be towards the end of the window.

Yes we’ve let Silva and Sasa out on loan but it’s obvious they weren’t in GONs plans as he’s been putting anyone else on the pitch. So letting them get game time elsewhere is sensible.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'll say it again. Simpler.

Transfer team: Signings lined up. No money.
Shi: Last minute signing loads of money.

Even this summer, under a new regime we had Gyorkes and Scott, signed and ready to go. Only for there to be a change of tide.

This has been going on for 3 years. Obviously the signing that really sticks out from the Sellars days was Fernandez, who was as good as signed and many people within the club messed about.
If only transfers were that simple

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More than Fraser, there’s a reason for that. We’ve also been fortunate that Cunha and Hwang have been available pretty much every game. If Cunha got injured on Tuesday, would we be better off with Sasa leading the line for the next few games or Fraser? If it’s only a few games maybe it’s not such a big deal, signing a striker before the end of the window would solve it. It’s like saying we may as well loan out Bentley and King because we’ve got Joe Young.

I think Fraser is still quite a way down the pecking order and I'd be surprised if he got any minutes. Same with Fletcher Holman, although either or both might be on the bench in January.

This season so far, having 5 forwards has been more than enough in reality, with Bellegarde included as that's where he's been mainly used.

It's been Hwang, Cunha, Neto first choice, then Sarabia is first to come in, then Bellegarde.

With Hwang away, it'll be Cunha, Neto, Sarabia.

Bellegarde can play on either side, so if Neto or Sarabia are unavailable, Bellegarde comes in as a straight swap.

If Cunha becomes unavailable, we will cobble some sort of front 3 together out of Neto, Sarabia and Bellegarde. Sarabia can and has played as a false 9 type forward quite a bit in his career, so that would probably be the way we go.

If another of those becomes unavailable, you're probably then looking at us bringing Doyle or Hodge in and switching to a midfield 3 with the other 2 up top.

Bring Hwang back into the equation and he's the first option down the middle if Cunha isn't available.

Asia Cup final is 10th Feb, so the way to look at it is a maximum of a month of increased risk. If the right player doesn't come up, after 10th Feb latest, we are fine again.

And if we do sign someone, as Hobbs said, they have to be better than we have, to push those 5 for the rest of the season, otherwise it will be highly unlikely they play much once Hwang is back and it becomes a huge waste of money we can't afford to waste.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think of the human side when 50 people are laid off after relegation. He should have gone after we had a replacement. It's negligent not to arrange a replacement, and if we don't get one then he should stay until the summer and he fights for his place. No other club would leave themselves as exposed as we have done.
We aren't getting relegated. So that ends that.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Fraser is still quite a way down the pecking order and I'd be surprised if he got any minutes. Same with Fletcher Holman, although either or both might be on the bench in January.

This season so far, having 5 forwards has been more than enough in reality, with Bellegarde included as that's where he's been mainly used.

It's been Hwang, Cunha, Neto first choice, then Sarabia is first to come in, then Bellegarde.

Bellegarde can play on either side, so if Neto or Sarabia are unavailable, Bellegarde comes in as a straight swap.

If Cunha becomes unavailable, we will cobble some sort of front 3 together out of Neto, Sarabia and Bellegarde. Sarabia can and has played as a false 9 type forward quite a bit in his career, so that would probably be the way we go.

If another of those becomes unavailable, you're probably then looking at us bringing Doyle or Hodge in and switching to a midfield 3 with the other 2 up top.

Bring Hwang back into the equation and he's the first option down the middle if Cunha isn't available.

Asia Cup final is 10th Feb, so the way to look at it is a maximum of a month of increased risk. If the right player doesn't come up, after 10th Feb latest, we are fine again.

And if we do sign someone, as Hobbs said, they have to be better than we have, to push those 5 for the rest of the season, otherwise it will be highly unlikely they play much once Hwang is back and it becomes a huge waste of money we can't afford to waste.
the say lack of games, but really as per my previous thread they come thick and fast

beat brentford

its brighton, west brom, united, chelsea, spurs all by 10th feb .. could shape the season

6 games starting from the 16th on Tuesday in 25 days

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More than Fraser, there’s a reason for that. We’ve also been fortunate that Cunha and Hwang have been available pretty much every game. If Cunha got injured on Tuesday, would we be better off with Sasa leading the line for the next few games or Fraser? If it’s only a few games maybe it’s not such a big deal, signing a striker before the end of the window would solve it. It’s like saying we may as well loan out Bentley and King because we’ve got Joe Young.

I hear what you’re saying, and I remember all too well our reliance on Raul staying fit in Nuno’s time, but Gary has shown little appetite for using either Fabio or Sasa this season, even when taking either Hwang and/or Cunha off. There has to be a reason for this. The fact is that Sasa has moved because he wants more game time opportunity, so clearly he’s been told it’s unlikely to improve even with Hwang’s absence. I do think a forward will be signed, most likely on loan, before the end of this window. But I also see the rationale in allowing both Fabio and Sasa to leave just before the winter break.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
the say lack of games, but really as per my previous thread they come thick and fast

beat brentford

its brighton, west brom, united, chelsea, spurs all by 10th feb .. could shape the season

6 games starting from the 16th on Tuesday in 25 days

And I would imagine there's a very strong chance that Cunha is fit for and will play in most minutes of most of those games.

Unless we get unlucky (cue dodgy VAR Cunha straight red!!......).

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hear what you’re saying, and I remember all too well our reliance on Raul staying fit in Nuno’s time, but Gary has shown little appetite for using either Fabio or Sasa this season, even when taking either Hwang and/or Cunha off. There has to be a reason for this. The fact is that Sasa has moved because he wants more game time opportunity, so clearly he’s been told it’s unlikely to improve even with Hwang’s absence. I do think a forward will be signed, most likely on loan, before the end of this window. But I also see the rationale in allowing both Fabio and Sasa to leave just before the winter break.
That’s fair enough mate. I don’t quite see it the same way, I think we’d have been better off keeping hold of one of our strikers until we’d got a replacement in. But different opinions are what a forum is all about!

Hopefully we get one in and no issue arises.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And I would imagine there's a very strong chance that Cunha is fit for and will play in most minutes of most of those games.

Unless we get unlucky (cue dodgy VAR Cunha straight red!!......).
he probably will i agree, and neto will fill hwangs minutes

bellegarde and sarabia to make up the rest so should be all ok, i think its more no gamechanging option from the bench, we havent really needed it this year, other than sarabia v spurs, sasa has nicked a couple late for us.

its having that option to come off.

Enzo is not ready yet, so i guess its going to be chirewa, in the absense of b traore/ran etc

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

The flip side to the argument on Raul is we've never successfully replaced him. When he was fit, we were great, when he wasn't fit, we were poor.

Fabio came in and did his best, but ultimately it was too soon for him to be expected to replace one of the best all-round strikers in the PL.

We got Willian Jose in on loan, an expensive flop.

So there's never any guarantee that if you have a plan B, that the plan B will work anyway!

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Bellegarde is a prime example really though, in that he’s been played out of position because of a lack of cover. He played most of his football in central midfield before coming here.

GON has said multiple times he wants a number 9, and also said that Cunha and Hwang aren’t really 9’s… so in his mind we don’t have a single one. Hopefully we get one this month.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bellegarde is a prime example really though, in that he’s been played out of position because of a lack of cover. He played most of his football in central midfield before coming here.

GON has said multiple times he wants a number 9, and also said that Cunha and Hwang aren’t really 9’s… so in his mind we don’t have a single one. Hopefully we get one this month.
Mainly played as am/cm last year although he can cover lw/lm

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I put Bellegarde in the Nunes camp personally. I think he's a good attacking option from wide or in a midfield 3, but I wouldn't want to see him much in a midfield 2, albeit in ours he has 3 centre backs behind him.

GON had two number 9s that weren't good enough in his opinion to not play Cunha or Hwang 'out of position'.

He wants a 9, I get that, but in theory they have to be better than Fabio or Sasa for GON to consider not playing Cunha or Hwang there again.

That player isn't Danny Ings. It's touch and go whether it's Etikike.

That sort of striker is always highly unlikely to happen in Jan.

I'd rather they hold fire, get lucky with injuries so there's no huge downturn in results, then go big for someone like Solanke in the summer.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I’m still undecided what Bellegarde best position is. Lately we’ve been basically playing 2 defensive midfielders then 2 attacking midfielders then a striker, I’d say that suits the likes of Bellegarde and Sarabia? (And Cunha)
I’m not sure Bellegarde would suit playing in the defensive midfield 2, like Nunes didn’t, or MGW or Vitinha.

I like GON, but it’s going to be interesting to see who he identifies as the right sort of 9. If Neither Cunha or Sasa are deemed a fit then I’m not sure what qualities he’s after; unless he’s able to spend big on one that has everything!

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I put Bellegarde in the Nunes camp personally. I think he's a good attacking option from wide or in a midfield 3, but I wouldn't want to see him much in a midfield 2, albeit in ours he has 3 centre backs behind him.

GON had two number 9s that weren't good enough in his opinion to not play Cunha or Hwang 'out of position'.

He wants a 9, I get that, but in theory they have to be better than Fabio or Sasa for GON to consider not playing Cunha or Hwang there again.

That player isn't Danny Ings. It's touch and go whether it's Etikike.

That sort of striker is always highly unlikely to happen in Jan.

I'd rather they hold fire, get lucky with injuries so there's no huge downturn in results, then go big for someone like Solanke in the summer.

Absolutely no chance of Solanke. If he goes he will go to a big spender or maybe West Ham, we will be hunting to find a gem from abroad.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m still undecided what Bellegarde best position is. Lately we’ve been basically playing 2 defensive midfielders then 2 attacking midfielders then a striker, I’d say that suits the likes of Bellegarde and Sarabia? (And Cunha)
I’m not sure Bellegarde would suit playing in the defensive midfield 2, like Nunes didn’t, or MGW or Vitinha.

I like GON, but it’s going to be interesting to see who he identifies as the right sort of 9. If Neither Cunha or Sasa are deemed a fit then I’m not sure what qualities he’s after; unless he’s able to spend big on one that has everything!

Bellegarde was bought as a direct replacement for Nunes.

The way Lopetegui used Nunes was higher up the field on the right, as a sort of wide no.10.

I do think that's the best area for Bellegarde to do damage to the opposition. It feels like he could do damage to us playing deeper sometimes.

From a striker perspective, going big in the summer is better than trying to cobble something together in Jan.

Last edited:

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That was my concern with it getting to sky sports etc ...alerting someone else...

Dont think it no coincidence that the likes of Percy , keen etc haven't mentioned Ekitike...... probably been told not to use him name as we are trying to keep it under raps ....if there was no truth it would have been said by now.....

Maybe Ekitike himself is bidding his time to see if a bigger option materialises.....I reckon the rest is sorted...

I reckon west ham will need to move players out first....if Benrahma goes I will panic...

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe Ekitike himself is bidding his time to see if a bigger option materialises.....I reckon the rest is sorted...

Sadly, West Ham probably the only winners if it's between the two of us.

European football and with their lack of centre forwards, there's probably more of a chance he will play regularly.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

European football and with their lack of centre forwards, there's probably more of a chance he will play regularly.
I reckon they may have to move players out though.....they might not be in a position to move...that's my hope...

If they moved Benrahma I would panic....

And I reckon they would need to move Ings to be in a position to get Ekitike...

Newcastle were always my worry with Ekitike, they seem to have a long standing interest...

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They’ll also pay bigger wages I would think.

arctic rime

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Between now and Feb 10 worst case

Brentford ( cup )
Brighton
Sandwell? ( cup )
Man U
Chelsea
Brentford ( Feb 10 )

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who mentioned relegation? I just want to 100% ensure we beat the ****....! Have literally waited nearly 30 years for this opportunity. We can scramble to 40 points after that match for all i care, just beat them ******s and lift the curse.
We haven’t beaten Brentford yet.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who mentioned relegation? I just want to 100% ensure we beat the ****....! Have literally waited nearly 30 years for this opportunity. We can scramble to 40 points after that match for all i care, just beat them ******s and lift the curse.
We’ve had plenty of opportunities to beat them at their place since Iwan Roberts got a hat trick, we just haven’t! Surely if we beat Brentford this time we will

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I heard - a few days back - from someone very well positioned:

- Forest are slinging poop at every other club in the bottom half (about FFP), as they're very likely to get a points deduction and want to take everyone down with them.
- Our books are fine, as they stand, but there is a real reluctance to risk them by spending in this FFP year.
- Palace are very very nervous about FFP. Chelsea too, although that's of a wage thing.
- Everton might get hit again. More likely to be docked additional points than it is that they recoup any points.
- Loans are the way for most clubs this January, with any purchases deferred until this accounting period is finished.

So it's probably going to be quiet for a lot of clubs who dread getting dragged in to the FFP furore.

So Ive heard anyway

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Scott sellers was a joke! Shi kept him around to be a yes man and a shield between him and the fans. He was paid handsomely for a long time for crap performance in his last position at the club.

He got promoted well above his ability level because he would tell anyone about his job at city.

Which if you do some do dilligence, it is very easy to find out, he was sacked from because of the significant drop in age group international representatives through the academy and there were significant concerns that a money maker for the club wasn’t going to hit even close to the required financial and performance targets. He wasn’t offered a new position like was said in the PR statement, it was part of his settlement agreement to get an agreed statement released if he left with no fuss.

He talks a great game to those who know nothing about football like shi.

He was not sacrificed to save Shi! He was incompetent at his last role in the club. He stayed around far too long.
Blimey, you are harsh on people! Is there anyone you like at the club? Genuine question

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

- Forest are slinging poop at every other club in the bottom half (about FFP), as they're very likely to get a points deduction and want to take everyone down with them.
- Our books are fine, as they stand, but there is a real reluctance to risk them by spending in this FFP year.
- Palace are very very nervous about FFP. Chelsea too, although that's of a wage thing.
- Everton might get hit again. More likely to be docked additional points than it is that they recoup any points.
- Loans are the way for most clubs this January, with any purchases deferred until this accounting period is finished.

So it's probably going to be quiet for a lot of clubs who dread getting dragged in to the FFP furore.

So Ive heard anyway

From a transfer perspective, I'd imagine all this, plus the economic climate, might mean this January is leaner than most.

All the signs point to Forest being in trouble with FFP.

Their Chairman (who had said they would always pass FFP on his watch) stepping down suddenly last summer.

Not selling Brennan Johnson until deadline day, so out of the last FFP reporting period.

Them all of a sudden appointing a top lawyer!!

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From a transfer perspective, I'd imagine all this, plus the economic climate, might mean this January is leaner than most.

All the signs point to Forest being in trouble with FFP.

Their Chairman (who had said they would always pass FFP on his watch) stepping down suddenly last summer.

Not selling Brennan Johnson until deadline day, so out of the last FFP reporting period.

Them all of a sudden appointing a top lawyer!!
will see next week or is it sunday the announcement, if everton and forest are in trouble for this year again

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

So Ive heard anyway
Not surprised at Forest. Their owner is a nasty piece of work

Back
Top Bottom