Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Semedo

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
that’s right - but if the opposition has a real danger man on his side i always feel comfortable he can control them. i’ve seen him do it to mbappe for portugal too…
Provided that danger man isn't running in behind him to attack a back stick cross, yes.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So pleased the long running agenda against him on here has stopped!
There hasn´t been an agenda.
Fact,as I see it is that Nelson been a dud of a signing for large parts of seasons.
Now,Nelson is playing better and therefore critisism of him has stopped.
He still can´t cross a ball for toffee and he is still very underwhelming attackingwise.Talk about no end product.
However,Semedos biggest task on pitch is to keep it together defensively,and he has done that in a very solid way for a longer time period now.
The way he performed before this was sub par.Shaky in defence and offering close to nothing in attack.
Since we indeed payed alot of green stuff for him,being solid defensively is the bar he really is going to measured against.
Nelson Semedo the way he now plays isn´t a problem.It was his overall level of performances before this that was it.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There hasn´t been an agenda. Fact,as I see it is that Nelson been a dud of a signing for large parts of seasons. Now,Nelson is playing better and therefore critisism of him has stopped. He still can´t cross a ball for toffee and he is still very underwhelming attackingwise.Talk about no end product. However,Semedos biggest task on pitch is to keep it together defensively,and he has done that in a very solid way for a longer time period now.
The way he performed before this was sub par.Shaky in defence and offering close to nothing in attack. Since we indeed payed alot of green stuff for him,being solid defensively is the bar he really is going to measured against. Nelson Semedo the way he now plays isn´t a problem.It was his overall level of performances before this that was it.
"Prisoner of the present" is a hell of a thing, isn't it. Three weeks of solid performances from him, and everyone has forgotten what came before.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But apparently only for the last three weeks
I know for some, memory spans don't precede three weeks but before then, yes it was fairly typical of what we've seen the past three years: some decent spells, some mediocre, rarely excellent in any aspect of his game (other than one-on-one defending). Outshone by far less experienced players on the mirror side of the pitch, playing within his shell, sideways, backwards, and always seemingly a screw-up waiting just round the corner.

For all his improvement of late, and long may that continue, it's worth noting that Doc (an unfit RWB) played 90 down the left against Brentford and arguably put in as strong or stronger a performance than Nelson. He needs to show his current form or better for a lot longer to make me forget his erstwhile dishwater performances.

Last edited:

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Inconsistent with some great highs and some mediocre to low spells.
A great test for a manager , because he needs managing IMO.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A big issue is obviously the price tag.

Semedo was signed for a club-record fee that could reach £37m. Therefore, he is rightly judged to a higher standard. You don't expect 'decent' performances from a player who cost that much, you expect him to be good/very good all the time.

He has been at a very high level in recent weeks though, lets hope he continues.

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is a "good" player, solid defensively generally, carries the ball well, quick, strong, but ultimately that's the least you'd expect for 30m.

We are less reliant on it now but his lack of attacking threat has held us back massively over the past few seasons. His goals and assist return is pitiful really given the money we paid.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Better of late, no doubt about that, but as is the mix way, we now have to pretend he hasn't had large spells with very mediocre appearances and some weeks with absolutely pitiful efforts where he has been pulled at the half.

And people can argue all they want but there is no doubt he is the least productive wing back in the professional game in the final third.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"Prisoner of the present" is a hell of a thing, isn't it. Three weeks of solid performances from him, and everyone has forgotten what came before.
Gone from a fortnight to three weeks without playing?

You might get it right in a couple of weeks the way you're going

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gone from a fortnight to three weeks without playing? You might get it right in a couple of weeks the way you're going
I'm actually wronger still. The gap between the Chelsea and Brentford games is only 12 days - so it's an even more fleeting period of time than I thought...

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fact,as I see it is that Nelson been a dud of a signing for large parts of seasons.
He still can´t cross a ball for toffee and he is still very underwhelming attackingwise.Talk about no end product.
However,Semedos biggest task on pitch is to keep it together defensively,and he has done that in a very solid way for a longer time period now.
The way he performed before this was sub par.Shaky in defence and offering close to nothing in attack.
Since we indeed payed alot of green stuff for him,being solid defensively is the bar he really is going to measured against.
Nelson Semedo the way he now plays isn´t a problem.It was his overall level of performances before this that was it.
There quite clearly has been an agenda.

Cross comes from our right and they score, Semedo gets blamed for not stopping the cross, cross comes from our left and they score, Semedo gets blamed for not clearing in the centre, break comes down our right catching Semedo up the pitch, he gets blamed for being out of position/lazy, other side? Well, you can guess

Saying there hasn't been an agenda against him is laughable

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm actually wronger still. The gap between the Chelsea and Brentford games is only 12 days - so it's an even more fleeting period of time than I thought...
You're very wrong. You make out as if he's been awful for his entire time here, which is so far off the mark it's untrue. How many bad games has he had this season?

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Inconsistent with some great highs and some mediocre to low spells.
A great test for a manager , because he needs managing IMO.
You've described Adama Traore there. I don't remember any great highs with Semedo to be honest. Defensively very decent, but not great attacking at all.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You're very wrong. You make out as if he's been awful for his entire time here, which is so far off the mark it's untrue. How many bad games has he had this season?
You're very wrong if you think I said he is awful. I don't think that - he's erratic, some decent, some mediocre, doesn't excel in many aspects of his game, and was massively overpriced (which isn't his fault). I do think his price tag is a factor in him getting so many games for Wolves though, and had we spent £15m (which is about value for him IMO), I wonder if he might've already been moved by now, should a similar offer have come in to allow us to try again. Hint of sunken cost fallacy there for me.

As someone who as a priority, judges defenders on their ability to stay switched on and not give terrible goals to opponents on a plate, I would say he has had a number of bad games this season, namely against Forest, Spurs, Villa and Brighton; btw, Mitoma had him on toast that game and he knew it. He was also generally quite crap against Crystal Palace and Luton off the top of my head. Titus Bramble was actually a pretty decent defender, apart from all the brainfarts he had that led to goals. They matter.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Truth is he's been pretty good all season but the usual suspects have been desperate to pin anything they can on him. The last few weeks he's been superb and is in the best form of his Wolves career
It's because far too many on here get entrenched in an opinion and can't admit they're wrong. It's like arguing day is night. A few hours earlier you'd be right, but things change and so should opinions. At least from anyone with a modicum of reasoning!

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Better of late, no doubt about that, but as is the mix way, we now have to pretend he hasn't had large spells with very mediocre appearances and some weeks with absolutely pitiful efforts where he has been pulled at the half.

And people can argue all they want but there is no doubt he is the least productive wing back in the professional game in the final third.
If you put his record and who is commonly taken as the best RWB in the country,Kyle Walker,theres not much in it as far as assists and goals
I agree his attacking prowess leaves a bit to be desired but that statement is just silly

Lobo de Ouro

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If you put his record and who is commonly taken as the best RWB in the country,Kyle Walker,theres not much in it as far as assists and goals
I agree his attacking prowess leaves a bit to be desired but that statement is just silly

Semedo has better crossing accuracy, better passing accuracy, better successful tackle %, exactly the same number of goal contributions (goals and assists) since he arrived in the league (in a team scoring much fewer goals and attacking much less often than Man City).

Must be absolute garbage, that Walker...

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, Semedo has 5 goal contributions in 114 Premier League games (or one every 23 games). Walker has 41 in 382 games, one every 9. So Walker has historically produced goals or assists at 2.5x the rate. In any case, we shouldn't really compare those two, given Walker is levels above him as an overall player, and is playing for a much better team which distorts comparisons. As Lobo has done above, you can make the stats do any song and dance you want.

For example, Walker's more recent dearth of goals / assists is likely a result of a) age (he's 33 now) and b) him being asked to operate in a more unique defensive role in recent years, where he sweeps across the line to snuff out counter attacks and give his more adventurous teammates a stable platform. Semedo doesn't play that sort of role for Wolves. He is a more conventional up-and-down the line WB.

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He was solid if unspectacular under Nuno after the first few months where he looked completely unfit for the league. He had a very solid and consistent season under Lage until he got injured. His occasional howler (and they’re really not that common) seems to disproportionally cloud some peoples views.

wv3wulf

Reaction score
I said previously that when Semedo leaves us you will realise how good he is, some of the comments on here are ridiculous and anyone that knows football can see that their are not many better RB or RWB in the league, luckily GON agrees with me so that's all that matters. Keep it up Nelson the majority of us appreciate what you do.

Mancwolf56

Groupie
Reaction score
I said previously that when Semedo leaves us you will realise how good he is, some of the comments on here are ridiculous and anyone that knows football can see that their are not many better RB or RWB in the league, luckily GON agrees with me so that's all that matters. Keep it up Nelson the majority of us appreciate what you do.
Excellent again. Must be 5 weeks in a row now!

groundhogwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s hope he never needs a reference from you, seriously grudging almost praise.

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t recall him ever having his name sung, not even the **** generic chants.

Time to fix that.

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the NFL they have a term ‘shut-down corner’ that means a defender on the wing that the opposition don’t bother targeting because they know they’ll get no joy there. Semedo is becoming a shut-down RWB

Gold Umbro

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hands up - I was one of his critics and thought he needed replacing. He often looked like he was going through the motions without full conviction.

I’m delighted to say he looks a different player this season.
Long may it continue.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the NFL they have a term ‘shut-down corner’ that means a defender on the wing that the opposition don’t bother targeting because they know they’ll get no joy there. Semedo is becoming a shut-down RWB
Quite late in the game, Joao Pedro had a chance to take him on, and didn’t. Probably because he’d received so little change out of Semedo all night.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even did a cheeky through ball to Neto last night, and a match saving tackle - as well as marking 2-3 men all night

Haters are waiting for a mistake

I’ve criticised him and I stand by those criticisms for the way he kept getting caught out but never a hater.

As the game got near to the end and he had played so well, I was willing him to not get caught out.

brilliant game.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves fans always need a bad guy even when things go well. There is a long history of this through edwards, coady etc semedo falls into that category. My only real beef with him is his goalscoring is low. Kilman will end up the same, slagged off on here

Back
Top Bottom