Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

January 2024 transfer window thread.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Maybe give them the benefit of the doubt…..

They’ve absolutely earned that.

I slated the club on here for the O’Neil appointment and our Summer transfer activity. Turns out Hobbs and his support staff have made the best out of a very tough situation (on both the JL and financial issues). Virtually all of our signings from last January and the Summer look good value now, and O’Neil is proving to be a fantastic fit and ambassador for the club.

Kudos to all. And my apologies for jumping to premature conclusions about thoroughly decent, hard-working people who have forgotten more about football than I will ever know.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They’ve absolutely earned that.

I slated the club on here for the O’Neil appointment and our Summer transfer activity. Turns out Hobbs and his support staff have made the best out of a very tough situation (on both the JL and financial issues). Virtually all of our signings from last January and the Summer look good value now, and O’Neil is proving to be a fantastic fit and ambassador for the club.

Kudos to all. And my apologies for jumping to premature conclusions about thoroughly decent, hard-working people who have forgotten more about football than I will ever know.
You and me both mate.

dnf14

Reaction score

NothingButNeto

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe give them the benefit of the doubt…..

Eh. Hobbs has certainly done some great work in the past year and he deserves all of the praise he’s been getting.

But this is a stupid move that does nothing for the club - it’s no different then sending Adama out on loan to the club of his dreams only for him to reward us by leaving on a free.

Sure, it’s better for Sasa to go out and get some game time so he can make the Austrian euro squad this summer. But if we don’t land a striker this January for whatever reason (clubs being difficult, competition with other clubs who don’t have the same FFP issues, etc.) then our already small squad becomes even smaller.

I hope this is all for show and we actually do have something lined up, but it wouldn’t surprise me (based on the club’s past performance in this space) if we didn’t and we end up getting screwed for being too nice.

nomadwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
People assume we will only let Sasa go if we get a replacement in, but I dont think thats the case. GON has shown on multiple occasions now that he doesnt fancy him in his formation, even choosing midfielders like Sarabia and Bellegarde ahead of him.
....in the Express and Star Youtube FA Cup match review, Liam Keen says...

"Wolves now happy let Sasa go next few days, before get someone in (and Wolves insisted no option to buy), but apart from football reasons, his wife is about to give birth in a few weeks, and club happy with situ"

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Claims we still need to sell star players in January, despite the new contracts protecting them.
Percy has said otherwise

Johnny Phillips also doesn't make it sound like we're in a rush to find a replacement, even with the rumoured Saudi interest a while back.

Sounds like clickbait nonsense... silly season is truly upon us boys and girls.
Laughable article about Sa. Why on earth would he want to go to Forest. And if you’re gonna link him to somewhere due to Wolves’ FFP position, probably don’t link him to a club who are on the brink of FFP breaches themselves.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t understand why our stance on Sasa has changed. GON said let week there’s no way he’s going anywhere until we have a replacement.

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Che Adams a viable option at £10m max, possibly less.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I don’t understand why our stance on Sasa has changed. GON said let week there’s no way he’s going anywhere until we have a replacement.
Maybe we have a replacement?

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People were moaning at me on another thread because I was at pains to point out I thought we hadn't got the squad for a cup run.....down to the bare bones yesterday....I'm not a pant wetter by any stretch of the imagination but although the team and O'Neil are doing excellently .....it's pretty obvious we need some bodies ...we probably need more than a striker in all honesty....we need a couple at least.....and probably need to keep Yerson at the back ....as all the hard work could be undone.....

It's not rocket science, we will get injuries, niggles , suspension, personal problems......

I wasn't being a surrender monkey , a hater of the cup.....was just pointing out the blatant obvious...that we need bodies....

We seem on the verge of getting something special again but we could easily destroy momentum with lack of bodies etc....Dare is say it , but it was all going well in a way for Bruno Lage until his first January transfer window....whilst we all get FFP currently what O'Neil is doing deserves a bit more.....

Last edited:

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe we have a replacement?
Sorry, I was supposed to reply to nomadwolf’s post that said we were happy to let him go before a replacement is secured now.
....in the Express and Star Youtube FA Cup match review, Liam Keen says...

"Wolves now happy let Sasa go next few days, before get someone in (and Wolves insisted no option to buy), but apart from football reasons, his wife is about to give birth in a few weeks, and club happy with situ"
Hopefully we do though, otherwise it leaves us very light.

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand people are concerned about the lack of depth with Silva and Kalajdzic being allowed to leave but the reality is even with both sat on the bench for the past few months they haven’t had a look in so does letting them leave really make much difference?

The only discernible difference right now is one less seat is being kept warm on the bench.

Obviously I’d like more depth but it’s been stated by several journalists that we want a wide forward and a striker so clearly the club agrees. If we get those in in place of Silva and Kalajdzic then we’ll be equal on numbers but stronger overall given they’ll actually get played.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Neto now linked with Man Utd
They are close to FFP, especially this season

Much inflated figure to go there. Neto wouldn’t want the move to utd it would ruin his career. Bellingham made the right choice.

Suppose if Man Utd offered us 60m and McTominay we could shake hands.

Neto is worth a lot more than people think. Look at his assists. How much did arsenal buy ozil for? 42m back in 2013 you can double that figure…..

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I understand people are concerned about the lack of depth with Silva and Kalajdzic being allowed to leave but the reality is even with both sat on the bench for the past few months they haven’t had a look in so does letting them leave really make much difference?

The only discernible difference right now is one less seat is being kept warm on the bench.

Obviously I’d like more depth but it’s been stated by several journalists that we want a wide forward and a striker so clearly the club agrees. If we get those in in place of Silva and Kalajdzic then we’ll be equal on numbers but stronger overall given they’ll actually get played.
Although I'd like the club to sign a proper 9 this month, I wouldn't be too upset if Fraser and Chirewa replace Sasa and Silva on the bench. They were barely used anyway. Plus the likes of Lemina Jr and Enso starting to come good. Not ideal but not a disaster given ongoing FFP stuff.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

We all get Silva and Saza situation but some of the players on the bench yesterday are not up to u21 level at the minute....we are going to get injuries, suspension, illness etc.....

We haven't got the squad to compete in the cup and do well in the league, it's creaking....

We will probably bring some in but it seems like we are after loans or loan option so obviously we may have to be patient....But currently anybody leaving is going to get people worried...Even Gary O'Neil said the other day Saza wasn't leaving till we got a replacement...but that seems to have changed....

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although I'd like the club to sign a proper 9 this month, I wouldn't be too upset if Fraser and Chirewa replace Sasa and Silva on the bench. They were barely used anyway. Plus the likes of Lemina Jr and Enso starting to come good. Not ideal but not a disaster given ongoing FFP stuff.
That's fine for them to sit on the bench but what happens if we get an injury to say Cunha ...

AndyWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With Sasa wanting a move back to Germany because he has a little one on the way, you just hope there aren't any complications

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could be Sasa putting pressure on for the move. He's obviously going to be keen and possibly forcing him to stay, though hardly playing, may not work out well.
As for Sa there is no chance Forest will have the money to tempt us, barring major sales.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tonight’s game shows why we should keep/ recall Cundle until we have someone better. Our squad is paper thin and he may not be the next Paul Scholes but I would still like him on the bench given the current state of play.
WHEN we have better available, we can sell him.
We will have better shortly in Lemina and possibly Traore as he’s only in the preliminary squad for Mali so could be released

Ironfistedmonk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But...not better than Lemina , Gomes, Traore and Doyle currently, and unlikely to be in a season, so should be moved on imo.

He's not the same type of player as any of those, Hodge is competing with those, Cundle is more of a Bellegarde type player

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why, apart from £££s, any player would currently think about going to that **** show is a complete mystery.
Really can’t see it myself. Easy to put a name to a club and boring media talk. Man City have intermediaries asking if he would go there so expect them to make a summer move. Saying that Arsenal have also asked the same question the past 3 years and not made an official offer. They was hoping to get him for 25m few years back after the injury. Knocked back thankfully. Then they signed Trossard…

Apparently us selling MGW to forest stopped us selling Neto on the cheap… I didn’t know that. Although reported by the sun… Arsenal only wanted to pay 35m Wolves wanted 50m back then. Wonder what we want now….

Last edited:

Chris H

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all get Silva and Saza situation but some of the players on the bench yesterday are not up to u21 level at the minute....we are going to get injuries, suspension, illness etc.....

We haven't got the squad to compete in the cup and do well in the league, it's creaking....

We will probably bring some in but it seems like we are after loans or loan option so obviously we may have to be patient....But currently anybody leaving is going to get people worried...Even Gary O'Neil said the other day Saza wasn't leaving till we got a replacement...but that seems to have changed....
That’s true, but that’s the same for most mid level clubs, the reality is we’ll have squad numbers where by when everyone is fit one or two will miss out on the matchday squad, and with injuries and suspensions we’ll end up one or two short.

People look at a bench of 9 and see kids on there and think it looks weak, it only used to be 7 and a little longer ago 5 so last night we’d have had all 5 slots filled by players who have played for the first team before. That’s without Dawson, RAN, Bueno, Traore, Lemina and Hwang.

Obviously we now have up to 5 subs per game so you do want the squad a little deeper and I’m hoping by the end of the window we’ll have the two forwards we need for that but there’s only 2 games between now and then and even if we’d kept Kalajdzic he wouldn’t have featured based on the last few months.

Back
Top Bottom