Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

The all new reverse-reverse Gary O’Neil humble pie safe space thread

SuperGran

Off with her head!
Reaction score
I've seen posts regarding previous managers, where the poster has wanted us to lose so the manager would get the sack, haven't seen that in terms of GON, but it does happen.

What we have seen in terms of GON is some really unnecessary and OTT reactions to defeats, and some elements of criticism which beggars belief, tbh.
The pre Man City thread there was a few posts on there wanting us to lose badly to get GoN sacked

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That goes directly against what I was told from a water tight source
It was reported at the time.....or shortly afterwards...it was common knowledge......

Hobbs sorted and brokered the deal for Lemina....it was a watershed moment as such for the club...cause it was done all away from Mendes.....Mendes has another midfielder lined up...

Last edited:

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be clear, the view that there are Wolves fans who would prefer Wolves to be relegated just to be proven right, is completely cynical, contrarian, edgy boy nonsence.
There was one poster who said, several months ago, something to the effect that he’d prefer relegation just to get rid of Gary.
However, at that time there were many on here who were very emotional about Gary…(not in a good way:)).

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is telling that such a utopia may only be achieved by the obfuscation and removal of negative, critical, dissenting or otherwise non-mainstream views.
Such a place is not remotely representative of a wider range of opinions, i.e. it is a fantasy driven by a particular bias.
But do you think the Mix is overly negative compared to the Wolves fans who are not on any social media?
In any group of fans in Wolverhampton at weddings, work, pubs, family gatherings, barbers, etc, would the talk be so negative?
Sometimes I think the negative reactions are incredibly ott.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But do you think the Mix is overly negative compared to the Wolves fans who are not on any social media?
In any group of fans in Wolverhampton at weddings, work, pubs, family gatherings, barbers, etc, would the talk be so negative?
I've been posting on here for over 20 years - sad I know. The mix has never represented the majority of Wolves fans in my experience

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
it’s certainly more negative on here for sure.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are all having to revise our earlier thoughts on GON. Looking back to the negative reactions on here to his appt, mine included, they can be boiled down, I believe, to his inexperience for the job. At the time it seemed to me, and others, like we needed a manager urgently and he was available (and cheap) after the expense of JL and his entourage. Not great credentials for managing a Prem side who had recently been in Europe. Most of us thought he'd be gone by now but credit to the guy he's proved us all wrong. I suppose there is still a nagging doubt in my mind that we could go on a bad run and get dragged into the relegation scrap but in all honesty I now feel quite relaxed about this season. That I can say that already is testament to the job he has done here in very short order. I now hope he can take Wolves forward and that he gets backing from Fosun both in January and in the summer.
I doubt that we hired Gary because he was cheap. I read that before on here but how did that rumour ever get started? Probably has no merit.
Wolves were prepared to spend big on JL and all his assistants…….why would that approach change after he slithered away?

Plus we don’t know how many expensive coaches were approached before Gary was contacted?

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I doubt that we hired Gary because he was cheap. I read that before on here but how did that rumour ever get started? Probably has no merit.
Wolves were prepared to spend big on JL and all his assistants…….why would that approach change after he slithered away?

Plus we don’t know how many expensive coaches were approached before Gary was contacted?
Strong rumours we interviewed Dean Smith, Frank Lampard and Gary.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There was an interview by Hobbs, a few were interviewed but GON was the one that impressed and based on everything we've seen, in the round, over the last 5 months you can see why.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can't believe that? Why would any footballer supporter want their manager to fail? I accept you may not like or rate a particular manager but by them failing it means the team fails, which no supporter wants. Like most on here I didn't want GON in August but I wanted him to get Wolves winning.
I agree with your logic but, as a few others have said, being able to "tell you so" seems to be more important to a vocal minority. It's bizarre I agree.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's no removal of any ideas. Just prioritization of the ideas that readers agree with. Democracy of ideas. For someone like you whose ideas receive a lot of criticism, I can see why you would find that threatening.
No need to get personal. Not least because (considering I have far more positive responses to my posts than actual posts), you appear to be talking cobblers.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are all having to revise our earlier thoughts on GON. Looking back to the negative reactions on here to his appt, mine included, they can be boiled down, I believe, to his inexperience for the job. At the time it seemed to me, and others, like we needed a manager urgently and he was available (and cheap) after the expense of JL and his entourage. Not great credentials for managing a Prem side who had recently been in Europe. Most of us thought he'd be gone by now but credit to the guy he's proved us all wrong. I suppose there is still a nagging doubt in my mind that we could go on a bad run and get dragged into the relegation scrap but in all honesty I now feel quite relaxed about this season. That I can say that already is testament to the job he has done here in very short order. I now hope he can take Wolves forward and that he gets backing from Fosun both in January and in the summer.

Agreed NNW, he is doing an excellent job. Not everyone revising early opinions though. Even the first polls on here had a minority supporting GON's appointment. I too feel very optimistic about Wolves going forward.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Strong rumours we interviewed Dean Smith, Frank Lampard and Gary.
Never saw any reliable sources for those. A week or two ago there were strong rumours that Nuno to Stoke was a done deal.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was one poster who said, several months ago, something to the effect that he’d prefer relegation just to get rid of Gary.
However, at that time there were many on here who were very emotional about Gary…(not in a good way:)).
Question is: do we believe that poster? Were they were speaking with a clear head, and can it be said they really stand by that opinion even to this day? I expect this comment came circa Liverpool - Luton - Ipswich in which sentiment was heavily, heavily against Gary. Wasn't it something like 90% of a several-hundred person vote that wanted him gone at that point?
But do you think the Mix is overly negative compared to the Wolves fans who are not on any social media? In any group of fans in Wolverhampton at weddings, work, pubs, family gatherings, barbers, etc, would the talk be so negative? Sometimes I think the negative reactions are incredibly ott.
Not the right guy to ask. I left Wolvo when I was young, The only Wolves fans I know now are my two brothers! I also suspect face-to-face talk is not the same as internet talk. Nobody likes to bring down the mood when on a night out or a wedding, so they are probably a little more guarded about the full depth of their views should they be likely to court controversy or negativity, similar to politics.

Online and anonymous, it becomes a perfect ground to vent one's frustrations. I think SYHO said something similar on another thread: when all is well there is little to say other than "good job, keep it up." When things aren't going well, there are a million and one ways in which it didn't to be dissected! I would advise disentangling, "negative" from "critical".

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I must’ve missed iPad gate - can someone please enlighten me?

I need a good laugh today.
Ok…..a thread was started on Dec. 12th.

read at your own risk and please remember that you asked for this ;)

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Question is: do we believe that poster? Were they were speaking with a clear head, and can it be said they really stand by that opinion even to this day? I expect this comment came circa Liverpool - Luton - Ipswich in which sentiment was heavily, heavily against Gary. Wasn't it something like 90% of a several-hundred person vote that wanted him gone at that point?

Not the right guy to ask. I left Wolvo when I was young, The only Wolves fans I know now are my two brothers! I also suspect face-to-face talk is not the same as internet talk. Nobody likes to bring down the mood when on a night out or a wedding, so they are probably a little more guarded about the full depth of their views should they be likely to court controversy or negativity, similar to politics.

Online and anonymous, it becomes a perfect ground to vent one's frustrations. I think SYHO said something similar on another thread: when all is well there is little to say other than "good job, keep it up." When things aren't going well, there are a million and one ways in which it didn't to be dissected! I would advise disentangling, "negative" from "critical".
Re your first paragraph.
” was he speaking with a clear head”? Hahaha…..I dunno, you’ll have to ask him yourself.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm intrigued who that poster was? Who was it?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm intrigued who that poster was? Who was it?
I genuinely can’t remember…..as you know there was quite a bit of hatred towards Gary at that time…( after some thought, I considered ‘hatred’ to be accurate).

However, even if I knew, I wouldn’t reveal his identity. Would we all like our posts to come back to haunt us?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Being cheap was one of the (many) accusations thrown at him and the Club at the time. I expect it got started because, whatever you think, it was most probably true. GON has to be one of the most inexperienced managers to get a premiership gig and logically that will affect what he's valued at. Compared to JL it looks as if he has a much smaller squad of assistants. JL left and GON was appointed a few days later so I doubt Hobbs had much chance to look at other managers.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being cheap was one of the (many) accusations thrown at him and the Club at the time. I expect it got started because, whatever you think, it was most probably true. GON has to be one of the most inexperienced managers to get a premiership gig and logically that will affect what he's valued at.
Even Gary himself admitted he was surprised that Wolves approached him.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've seen posts regarding previous managers, where the poster has wanted us to lose so the manager would get the sack, haven't seen that in terms of GON, but it does happen.

What we have seen in terms of GON is some really unnecessary and OTT reactions to defeats, and some elements of criticism which beggars belief, tbh.

I might be more on the negative side (lol) but I would never want a manager to get to the point of being sacked in a league season. As for that to happen wolves have to be losing and in danger of the drop and I never ever ever want that to happen!!!

Would rather be massively wrong and look like a total **** for a while, and see wolves do well.

Nothing means more to anyone here, no matter where you sit on a fence in regards to any topic or subject than wolves being the best they can be and do well.

We all see the world differently and speak that way also, but we all want the same outcome regardless of the side of the argument….

That is wolves to smash it and be the club we know we should be for the legacy and history we have.

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I might be more on the negative side (lol) but I would never want a manager to get to the point of being sacked in a league season. As for that to happen wolves have to be losing and in danger of the drop and I never ever ever want that to happen!!!

Would rather be massively wrong and look like a total **** for a while, and see wolves do well.

Nothing means more to anyone here, no matter where you sit on a fence in regards to any topic or subject than wolves being the best they can be and do well.

We all see the world differently and speak that way also, but we all want the same outcome regardless of the side of the argument….

That is wolves to smash it and be the club we know we should be for the legacy and history we have.
If we got relegated and sacked O Neil we’d probably have ended up with Lampard!o_O

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Being cheap was one of the (many) accusations thrown at him and the Club at the time. I expect it got started because, whatever you think, it was most probably true. GON has to be one of the most inexperienced managers to get a premiership gig and logically that will affect what he's valued at. Compared to JL it looks as if he has a much smaller squad of assistants. JL left and GON was appointed a few days later so I doubt Hobbs had much chance to look at other managers.
I do see your point but I very much doubt that Gary was hired because he was ‘cheap’.
Actually, let me be very clear about this, ( and yes, it’s just an opinion), but to bring in a coach to run a PL club because he was cheap would be daft……bonkers.

Just use the money that Wolves didn’t pay JL and use it to keep the club up. What fool would jeopardize tv money from the PL by relegation just to save a paltry couple of millions for a decent coach.?

If Wolves wanted cheap, then get somebody from League 1, right?

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do see your point but I very much doubt that Gary was hired because he was ‘cheap’.
Actually, let me be very clear about this, ( and yes, it’s just an opinion), but to bring in a coach to run a PL club because he was cheap would be daft……bonkers.

Just use the money that Wolves didn’t pay JL and use it to keep the club up. What fool would jeopardize tv money from the PL by relegation just to save a paltry couple of millions for a decent coach.?

If Wolves wanted cheap, then get somebody from League 1, right?
He’d just kept Bournemouth doing a great job with that team and that’s what Fosun wanted someone to keep us up that came at a low price. The JL savings would have gone to help with FFP.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was reported at the time.....or shortly afterwards...it was common knowledge......

Hobbs sorted and brokered the deal for Lemina....it was a watershed moment as such for the club...cause it was done all away from Mendes.....Mendes has another midfielder lined up...
As I say that wasn’t what I was told from my ITK at the club. Mendes had another lined up but he moved another player on ro

As I say that wasn’t what I was told from my ITK at the club. Mendes had another lined up but he moved another player on to Nice to allow them to release Lemina to us

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I say that wasn’t what I was told from my ITK at the club. Mendes had another lined up but he moved another player on ro

As I say that wasn’t what I was told from my ITK at the club. Mendes had another lined up but he moved another player on to Nice to allow them to release Lemina to us
You can believe what you want.....I'm a mendes fan and not against him in any way but that was not what reported at the time and has since been reported....Lemina and Dawson were all down to Hobbs...nowt to with Mendes....there must be a lot of ITK reporters Percy, keen etc who have got the wrong end of the stick then...lemina should be seen as a feather in the cap for Hobbs and rightly so...

The deal went from 1m to 3m to 5m to 8m......Mendes doesn't deal like that with his clubs...every Mendes deal we have had the price has normally been straightforward and fixed from the get go......whether it was cheap or dear....

Mendes fingers were all the Cunha, Sarabia and no doubt there were some advisory dealings with Joao Gomes....but not Lemina and Dawson... lopetugui himself said he was impressed with Hobbs during the January window....

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You can believe what you want.....I'm a mendes fan and not against him in any way but that was not what reported at the time and has since been reported....Lemina and Dawson were all down to Hobbs...nowt to with Mendes....there must be a lot of ITK reporters Percy, keen etc who have got the wrong end of the stick then...lemina should be seen as a feather in the cap for Hobbs and rightly so...

The deal went from 1m to 3m to 5m to 8m......Mendes doesn't deal like that with his clubs...every Mendes deal we have had the price has normally been straightforward and fixed from the get go......whether it was cheap or dear....

Mendes fingers were all the Cunha, Sarabia and no doubt there were some advisory dealings with Joao Gomes....but not Lemina and Dawson... lopetugui himself said he was impressed with Hobbs during the January window....

While I have my moments with stevebullsknee, there is one thing I will always accept, that is agent talk about signings as he is well linked to a person who represents academy players.

So this is one thing he is more than likely bang on the money with.

Just because Hobbs headed up the process doesn’t mean Mendes didn’t get the wheels in motion or manoeuvre things to get lemina into the position for us to be able to sign him.

The way the fee went up and the fact we paid more than we would have the first time he was offered to Lage, is the fault of Lage as that was the way sale fees were built into Mario’s contract . A practice that is far more common than you think.

Beowulf

Reaction score
I don't know what TWF is? If this is so then put their names up on here.
The Wolves Forum. I won't post any names as they're not to my knowledge on here to be able to defend or justify their opinion. Many did not and still do not want GON as is the case here, and far more wanted Lage to fail fora sustained amount of time. Many insults hurled at both managers (players not exempt either) Clowns, ****s, PE teachers, and various other labels systematically and repeatedly smeared. Anyone who had an opposing stance was quickly shot down, and insulted by the cabal. Have a read of some of their threads.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
While I have my moments with stevebullsknee, there is one thing I will always accept, that is agent talk about signings as he is well linked to a person who represents academy players.

So this is one thing he is more than likely bang on the money with.

Just because Hobbs headed up the process doesn’t mean Mendes didn’t get the wheels in motion or manoeuvre things to get lemina into the position for us to be able to sign him.

The way the fee went up and the fact we paid more than we would have the first time he was offered to Lage, is the fault of Lage as that was the way sale fees were built into Mario’s contract . A practice that is far more common than you think.
We can all spout ITK stuff ... I've been quite open about my direct family links with wolves....and they wouldn't know nowt about transfers deals......it was widely reported in the media at the time that lemina n Dawson were down to Hobbs.....mendes does a lot of dealings or has his prints over a lot of signings for wolves no doubt, I'm glad he does....but he don't do every one.....just like he would have had nowt to do with Collins for instance...

There is no reason to not trust Hobbs and what was said at the time ...

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We can all spout ITK stuff ... I've been quite open about my direct family links with wolves....they wouldn't know nowt about transfers deals......it was widely reported in the media at the time that lemina n Dawson were down to Hobbs.....mendes does a lot of dealings or has his prints over a lot of signings for wolves no doubt, I'm glad he does....but he don't do every one.....just like he would have had nowt to do with Collins for instance...

But didn’t mendes put the replacement at his old club first to allow us to be in the position to sign him?

That is still being involved in brokering the deal as many clubs tell potential buyers they can’t have the player they want till a replacement is signed or as near as dammit holding the shirt for the press.

We were first introduced to Mario as a signing before Hobbs weren’t we? I am not sure on that bit.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
No need to get personal. Not least because (considering I have far more positive responses to my posts than actual posts), you appear to be talking cobblers.
XenForo forum software doesn't assign negative scores to negative reactions. You could have 7,887 Likes and 30,000 Angry and your reaction score would still be 7,887.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But didn’t mendes put the replacement at his old club first to allow us to be in the position to sign him?

That is still being involved in brokering the deal as many clubs tell potential buyers they can’t have the player they want till a replacement is signed or as near as dammit holding the shirt for the press.

We were first introduced to Mario as a signing before Hobbs weren’t we? I am not sure on that bit.
It was widely reported at the time that Mendes had a midfielder lined up for wolves as lopetugui wanted one ....but the club were adamant about getting lemina as they had wanted him before.... lopetugui was ok about it as he had tried to sign lemina before for Seville......the deal rangled on a bit and I think lopetugui, like all of us were getting bit irate if you remember...we kept saying for god sake get it done.....the price kept going up.....

Had it been mendes midfielder, no doubt he may have cost more or less but he would have been through the door very early like Cunha and Sarabia was...with the fee previously agreed and done....

It was all reported by several journalists...I've no reason to not believe them and go against the opposite of what was said.....when lemina got done to love affair between Hobbs and lopetugui started ...and they were both complimentary of each other....

I've no doubt mendes wanted wolves to sign the centre back Felipe from ath Madrid in that January but we ignored him on that as well and got Dawson....it's exactly the same.....Felipe went to forest late on.... again would have been mendes...

Back
Top Bottom