Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Best Non Wolves Player You've Seen Play Live

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It has to be George Best. At times it seemed like the ball was tied to his boots. He was a magician and it was a pleasure to watch him play.

Bobby Moore would be up there as well. He hadn’t great pace, but read the game brilliantly. He seemed to know where the ball would be, and in his elegant style would clear the danger.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bergkamp. What a player.
I remember when we got promoted to the Premier League with Dave Jones.

There were rumours that we were going to make a statement new signing and Denis Bergkamp was the player.

A press conference was arranged and we annnounced the signing Isaac Okoronkwo from some Russian club. Never heard of him!

Bergkamp was a great player and seemed to glide with the ball at his feet. That World Cup goal against Argentina (I think) was simply sensational.

Have to agree with other Mixers though: G Best was The Best.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I remember when we got promoted to the Premier League with Dave Jones.

There were rumours that we were going to make a statement new signing and Denis Bergkamp was the player.

A press conference was arranged and we annnounced the signing Isaac Okoronkwo from some Russian club. Never heard of him!

Bergkamp was a great player and seemed to glide with the ball at his feet. That World Cup goal against Argentina (I think) was simply sensational.

Have to agree with other Mixers though: G Best was The Best.

I saw Bergkamp when Leicester City were playing Arsenal. I think he scored either two or three goals in the game. Matty Elliott, the Leicester centre half has said Bergkamp was the best player he played against.

Wolvesfcneil

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I played at the milk cup along with the Man Utd class of 92, unfortunately I never played against them but watched them a couple of times and spoke to a few of them and they seemed decent lads.

Redhillwolf

Reaction score
Saw Pavel Nedved for Lazio in last ever cup winners cup final at Villa Park and he was incredible. Bergkamp for Arsenal goes without saying too but the one player who used to terrify me whenever he played against us was Stan Collymore! Always destroyed us on his own….crazy talent but terrible temperament.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Messi .....popped over Barcelona a few times to watch them.....twice he scored 3 and once 4....

Seen El classico as well but Ronaldo edged him ...

Last edited:

Clifton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve seen Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho amongst others but the player who strangely sticks in my mind is John Terry. I think it was under McCarthy and Chelsea came to us and I couldn’t believe how good he looked. So much time on the ball, touch was impeccable and very two footed knocking beautiful passes out wide and up front.

I’m not saying he is the best but I came away from that game shocked by how class he looked.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gk - Buffon

Def - maldini, Cafu,

Mid - Ronaldinho, Figo, Zidane, pirlo, iniesta, scholes

Fwd - R9 ronaldo, messi, cr7 ronaldo, del pierro, zlatan and drogba

Wombat

Groupie
Reaction score
George Best - Danced through the Wolves players and still had plenty to spare
Didier Drogba - Excellent work rate and devastating finishing

Oliwolf44

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Tevez for man city when they beat us 4-3 at the Etihad. He was absolutely unplayable that game and scored a goal for the ages.

Wellington Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Zidane and Ronaldinho stand out. Been to Barcelona a few times to see Messi and the only time he wasn't injured he dislocated his shoulder after 15 mins! He had scored though.

Versus Wokves I always remember Bale coming on for Spurs and his pace took my breath away

Or Steve Claridge who was better than all the above puy together against us until we signed the cart horse

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bentley looking every bit a Bristol City reserve keeper

Wolves in Limerick

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As an Irish fan, I tend to travel/watch live games against more mid table clubs as tickets against more successful clubs are more difficult to purchase. I did spend some years in West London where among the grounds I visited regularly were Plough Land and Loftus Road: -

Goalkeeper - Ryan (Brighton) & David Seaman (QPR)

Defenders - Paul McGrath, Keith Curle (Wimbledon, pre Wolves days), John Scales (Wimbledon) and Paul Parker (QPR)

Midfield - Andy Townsend, Liam Brady and Ronnie Whelan

Forwards - Les Ferdinand (QPR), Andy Sinton (QPR, not as a Wolves player), John Fashanu (Wimbledon) and Denis Wise (Wimbledon)

Last edited:

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's hard to argue against George Best (and it was a close call), but the best I've seen is " Pele".

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm a (relatively) modern era football follower, so anything pre 1989 is off the table!

I remember getting some tickets to a United game through work once and being amazed at how good Paul Scholes was in the flesh. Unreal player and probably the best I've seen live.

One name that won't crop up much, but worth a mention, I remember thinking how incredibly technically gifted Willian was when seeing hm play for Chelsea at Molineux. An absolute Rolls-Royce of a player on his day.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pretty leftfield one to pick, but I will never forget David Johnson way back in 1997 when he was playing for Bury (and we won ??4.2).

His performance was so good he was given a standing ovation by Wolves fans.

For years I was arguing that we needed him in a Wolves shirt!

Great footballer, but didn't do a great job teaching his son not to lie.

Wildman

Reaction score
Gullit for me as best player in the flesh.

Strangely though the best single player performance against Wolves, for me, was Scott Parker when Charlton battered us. I've never seen a more complete midfield performance by anyone he was literally everywhere that day.

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Messi. Scored a hat-trick that game too in a 5-0 win over Espanyol and when you watch him run with the ball it's like watching a video game! He carried it so quickly, it was glued to his foot and he could just change direction as if he was a character on Sensible Soccer!

(But I thought the best player on the pitch that night was actually Sergio Busquets. Never seen a midfielder control a game so much while barely moving!)

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gullit for me as best player in the flesh.

Strangely though the best single player performance against Wolves, for me, was Scott Parker when Charlton battered us. I've never seen a more complete midfield performance by anyone he was literally everywhere that day.
He left the centre circle. I don't believe it.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Done a fair bit of travelling to watch football over the years. Pep era Barcelona with Messi, Xavi Etc were all great. Saw fat Ronaldo when at Milan and CR7 at United and Madrid but head and shoulders above (for me) was Zidane. For the size of him he glided across the pitch like he was in slippers. For me he’s the total footballer, he could play any outfield position and be utterly amazing.

Whenever anyone asks the immortal “Ronaldo or Messi” my answer is always Zidane!!

johnnybetchas

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Pretty leftfield one to pick, but I will never forget David Johnson way back in 1997 when he was playing for Bury (and we won ??4.2).

His performance was so good he was given a standing ovation by Wolves fans.

For years I was arguing that we needed him in a Wolves shirt!
Never forget his performance that day - he was incredible. Think everone there was willing us to sign him.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Kenny Dalglish was a a fabulous player. Had everything, skill, strength, tenacity, a will to win.

The player that most surprised me was Robin van Persie - never realised how good he was until I saw him live.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Zidane.

And Nigel Martyn for Bristol Rovers against us…

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jay Jay Okocha had a great game against us for Notlob, even got an ovation from Wolves fans when he went off.

As for goalkeepers, I’d say Shilton at his peak, mid to late 70’s, just looked so difficult to beat.
Probaly Ronaldo, honarable mention to Okocha, think it was his final season before retirement, but totally bossed the midfield that night at Molineux looked head and shoulders above the rest. Underrated player, so good they named him twice.

wolveslegend

Groupie
Reaction score
Wayne Rooney, his running off the ball and whole game when not having the ball was phenomenal.

djmikeydickens

Reaction score
Fabregas when at Arsenal. Didn't miss a pace all night and just had the freedom of the pitch. Always found himself in space, sign of a class player

Back
Top Bottom