Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bournemouth Verdict Thread - Up the Gary !

Himleywolf

Reaction score
Traveling today so followed on phone, so happy with the win.
How did Scott look for them, does he look worth all the hype?

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Early days....but no, he didn't look special at all to me.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This was a massive result.
It will nullify Bournemouth as a threat for a relegation spot until January and probably all season.
It means we have shown we can beat Man City and then beat a bottom three club within weeks , that's a rarity .
And it takes the pressure of us until at least Christmas ,allowing front foot football.
Beat Sheffield and we are looking fairly good for another season in this league

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First half was poor from us IMO, most of the poor display came from our left. RAN, Traore and Toti gave up possession too often, low percentage passes dropping each other in the ****.
Second half, the team out early and different mindset completely, highlighted by the excellent passing from Doyle. He seems to see a pass very early, sometimes to the right, and sometimes through the middle.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don’t want to overdo the Doyle love-in.. but I’ve felt our biggest problem this year was giving the ball away too much in the middle of the park.. having him alongside the likes of Lemina/Traore.. will give us a nice balance.

I do love that Gomes is more box-to-box.. but I expect to see more of Doyle from here on.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Massive result and 7 points out of 3 away games against teams likely to be involved in the relegation battle is huge.

As the OP says, thought we were marginally the better side in the first half, without many of our players actually playing well. Completely controlled the second half and thoroughly deserved the win.

Full credit to O’Neil. Agreed completely with the starting XI (thought some of the players let him down a little in the first half) and his substitutions effectively won us the game.

Dawson, Neto and Doyle the pick of the bunch for me. Lovely finish from Cunha for the first and a delightful ball from Hwang for Sasa’s winner (he can definitely finish).

Sa 6
Kilman 7
Dawson 8
Toti 6
Doherty 5
Traore 5
Gomes 5
RAN 6
Hwang 7
Cunha 6
Neto 8

Doyle 7
Sarabia 5
Sasa 7

Been a very tough couple of weeks personally for me and my family so very grateful to Gary and the boys for providing something to lift the gloom.

Out of darkness cometh light.
Hope you're OK Tring? Did I see you were in hospital? If so hope things are progressing well and that you get home soon. 3 points will help the recovery!

WolvesAndCows

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't see Cunha in the team if Sasa could get fit. If Cunha played in the position where he scored from then fair enough but today, as usual, he was at LB, left wing, running from mf, anywhere bar where a CF needs to be. I still think we could develop him into a decent attacking mf and leave the striking to someone else. Decent strike though!
I agree. It was a tongue in cheek comment

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Don’t want to overdo the Doyle love-in.. but I’ve felt our biggest problem this year was giving the ball away too much in the middle of the park.. having him alongside the likes of Lemina/Traore.. will give us a nice balance.

I do love that Gomes is more box-to-box.. but I expect to see more of Doyle from here on.
The good thing now is that after years of only having Neves, Moutinho and Dendoncker, we now have plenty of midfield options.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Doyle looked the part today. You could see all his City training coming to the fore. He saw and executed some lovely passes through the lines. Who was the last Wolves player to do that?

JR WAS KING

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We are inconsistent but some of our play was exceptional. It has been in other games too. That move that ended with Neto putting it over the bar was as good as anything I've seen from the top sides. If that had gone in I would have been on the pitch, and I was watching it in Newcastle.
Screenshot_20231021_181140_BBC Sport.jpg
From the BBC website

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it was a poor performance but you'll take the result all day long. I think it was like Southampton last season. Bournemouth lost it more then we won it.

Doherty looks finished at this level. 3 year contract too!!

Gomes and Traore together lack discipline. Both want to be the one running out to press and not hold the shape. Need Lemina or Doyle to be one of them.

Doyle has good vision. He'll lose the ball but he'll get us into positions to create chances. Got something their.

I thought Hwang had a poor game. I think the crowd got to him.

Cunha was poor in the first half but much better in the 2nd.

Neto is incredible.
I think Doyle has vision and is very dogged.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were pony though and poor was an understatement

Why, though? From 20 mins onwards we were awful.

It's possible for Wolves to have an awful half of football, and not be an awful team of awful players with an awful manager though - something which seems to escape a lot of people.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He did ok to be fair. They lost their rhythm when he went off…

Totally unfit but he’s a good player you could see that. Played some nice forward passes

If Cunha didn’t score that goal he would of got 2/10 thankfully he came up with the goods

StaffordWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He did ok to be fair. They lost their rhythm when he went off…

Totally unfit but he’s a good player you could see that. Played some nice forward passes

If Cunha didn’t score that goal he would of got 2/10 thankfully he came up with the goods
Cunha wasn't great today, especially first half. However you've got to give it to him, the lad is an absolute workhorse which I think allows Neto and Hwang to thrive a bit more.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cunha wasn't great today, especially first half. However you've got to give it to him, the lad is an absolute workhorse which I think allows Neto and Hwang to thrive a bit more.
Il lay off him but really frustrating player for me. Just glad he scored hopefully a confidence booster for him to get some more. Our forwards really do need to shoot more instead of walking it into the goal

brianm

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Il lay off him but really frustrating player for me. Just glad he scored hopefully a confidence booster for him to get some more. Our forwards really do need to shoot more instead of walking it into the goal
O'Neil has to feel like getting Cunha into the right positions more often is a priority...there is so much potential there and the player wants it.

Oldvic161

Groupie
Reaction score
Can only go off the 2nd half as missed 1st half. Great start and goal to the half, thought Neto and Doyle did well, but I sat there at 75 mins thinking get the big man on they are sitting back winning headers every time, I also thought we were very slow once they went down to 10, couldn’t see a goal coming despite the “Brazil 70” chance, good job their Neto played a hospital ball and you have to give praise to Hwang for the pass and Sasa for a great finish. Let’s get him fitter so he can start. 3 valuable points, another 9 wins then we can maybe, relax and play the football mr Oneill wants to, if he keeps getting results he’ll make a few eat their words.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Hope you're OK Tring? Did I see you were in hospital? If so hope things are progressing well and that you get home soon. 3 points will help the recovery!

Thanks NNW (and others). Been a tough couple of weeks.

My Nan passed away 2 weeks ago (had a fantastic innings at 93). My Mum has cancer and was told last week they would have to stop her chemo as it has damaged her heart. Then last weekend, my Dad’s gall bladder exploded so was taken into A&E for emergency surgery. He developed sepsis so was touch and go for a couple of days but has rallied to the extent that I was able to watch the game with him today.

So have been in various hospitals across the country for the last couple of weeks (God Bless the NHS and those who work within it).

The win brought a much needed smile to our faces.

Perton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Doyle has vision and is very dogged.
Made a big difference when he came on, was positive and forward thinking with the ball. Love João Gomes but our midfield balance was much better second half. Boubacar is very underrated.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Doyle looked the part today. You could see all his City training coming to the fore. He saw and executed some lovely passes through the lines. Who was the last Wolves player to do that?
Did he rhyme with Buben Cheves?

Ruben and Moutinho could both do it.. but they kind of needed an athlete beside them, which they never had.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Massive result and 7 points out of 3 away games against teams likely to be involved in the relegation battle is huge.

As the OP says, thought we were marginally the better side in the first half, without many of our players actually playing well. Completely controlled the second half and thoroughly deserved the win.

Full credit to O’Neil. Agreed completely with the starting XI (thought some of the players let him down a little in the first half) and his substitutions effectively won us the game.

Dawson, Neto and Doyle the pick of the bunch for me. Lovely finish from Cunha for the first and a delightful ball from Hwang for Sasa’s winner (he can definitely finish).

Sa 6
Kilman 7
Dawson 8
Toti 6
Doherty 5
Traore 5
Gomes 5
RAN 6
Hwang 7
Cunha 6
Neto 8

Doyle 7
Sarabia 5
Sasa 7

Been a very tough couple of weeks personally for me and my family so very grateful to Gary and the boys for providing something to lift the gloom.

Very sorry to hear that … hope things get better/easier for yo.

Poztin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did he rhyme with Buben Cheves?

Ruben and Moutinho could both do it.. but they kind of needed an athlete beside them, which they never had.
Doyle looks a very tidy footballer, but like those mentioned, definitely needs an athlete alongside him. He’s very lightweight and not the quickest.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's possible for Wolves to have an awful half of football, and not be an awful team of awful players with an awful manager though - something which seems to escape a lot of people.
Fair enough!!! I assumed you were talking about the comments specifically how crap we were playing. Agree with your assessment then, mate!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said prime Barca but 1970 Brazil will also do! Can't believe that didn't make the sky highlights.

Yes! It's doing my head in a bit. Because I want to be saying that O'Neill is succeeding by getting us playing pragmatic football, in contrast to the likes of Bournemouth trying to play football they just aren't good enough to play. And then we go and do a move like that! That move reminded me of something we haven't seen since the days of Jota, Raul and Cav dancing round defenders. We've done similar a few times, too, recently. So O'Neill isn't totally putting the handbrake on.

It's so weird that I didn't see him as the type of manager who can get the best out of flair players... but after a creaky start, he's now doing just that. At this rate, we will lose our crown as "Most boring team in the division". :D

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't see Cunha in the team if Sasa could get fit. If Cunha played in the position where he scored from then fair enough but today, as usual, he was at LB, left wing, running from mf, anywhere bar where a CF needs to be. I still think we could develop him into a decent attacking mf and leave the striking to someone else. Decent strike though!
Cunha gives you running, sasa gives you a target. I'd say it depends who we're playing.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m not having these comments we went into some sort of panic once we went 2-1 up. They hardly entered the final third! Was as comfortable a seeing out of the game than I think I have known us have in this league, with a one goal lead.

Great win. Elements of good fortune perhaps tipped it in our balance, but outside the top 4-5, most sides victories in this league require elements of good fortune. That’s why players and managers get paid millions, cos sometimes they can make the difference.

Sasa’s finish not getting anywhere near enough recognition too, absolute cool as a cucumber.

Don’t see us under GON having the same feeling as the Nuno era, but a bit of mid table obscurity with a sprinkling of individual magic is probably just about the best we can realistically hope for at present.

All in all, a magnificent few weeks since that Ipswich debacle. Fair play.

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
We shouldn't under estimate wins like this. How often have we dropped points after the international break? How often do we gift poorer sides points? How often do we fail to put 10 men to the sword? How often do we fail to turn dominance into goals?

Too often, but not today..

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

My Nan passed away 2 weeks ago (had a fantastic innings at 93). My Mum has cancer and was told last week they would have to stop her chemo as it has damaged her heart. Then last weekend, my Dad’s gall bladder exploded so was taken into A&E for emergency surgery. He developed sepsis so was touch and go for a couple of days but has rallied to the extent that I was able to watch the game with him today.

So have been in various hospitals across the country for the last couple of weeks (God Bless the NHS and those who work within it).

Really sorry to read this news, Tring. Sad events are never evenly spaced throughout our lives, but all this coming in the same time period must be extremely hard for you.

Stay strong, and UTW.

Cookyssweetleftfoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sa 6
Kilman 7
Dawson 8
Toti 6
Doherty 5
Traore 5
Gomes 5
RAN 6
Hwang 7
Cunha 6
Neto 8

Doyle 7
Sarabia 5
Sasa 7

Sorry to hear that Tring. Best wishes to you and your family.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Really sorry to hear this mate. Hope that your dad fully recovers and things go as well as possible for your mum. Hope that your nan RIP too.

Back
Top Bottom