Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Do you, did you, see yourself as a football player ?

Did you, or do you see yourself as a football player ?

• Yes

Votes: 59 59.6%
  • No really

Votes: 40 40.4%

• Total voters

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fair to say I was rubbish at football. I could goal hang with the best of them and was lethal from 2 yards. I was OK at hockey until I got hit in the face with a stick and spent a week in the eye infirmary after. Strangely that put me off playing team sports....

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Offered trials at 16 but considered too short for a gk at 5 ft 8 . Then had a growth spurt leaving me 6ft 1. Semi pro contract offered at 22?. Declined as I lived two hours away and not compatible with the Job at the time. I already had one son and another on the way.

Truthfully, I was a good shot stopper and very happy to finish my 11 a side career at 53 playing at molineux!

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I played against Bully when he was at Tipton Town Youth. The strikers we had in our team at the time were better than him . Beat them 4-2.... we were 16 ish, I hit the bar with a volley.
Ocker Hill Juniors 4 -2 Tipton Town Youth.

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Respect. Couple of good stops in there.
Thanks mate. A bit older and fatter than my prime!
Incredibly I was also a qualified ref for a number of years ! Dreary me

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I played W’ton Amateur League football up to Premier League and W’ton Sunday League football up to League 1. Good level and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Played into my mid thirties, then kids came along.

Reaction score
Peaked briefly at isthmian league or whatever it is called now. Mostly played Essex senior league which actually is a lot better than it sounds. Don’t know what the local equivalent would be, Wulfrunians maybe. Back then you could still kick people which was good because that’s mostly what I did.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely loved playing … from being a young kid until my knees and back could take no more.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I played for the school team, the youth club and the district team, but played rugby to a much higher level. Had some success coaching school team's at both football and rugby. Geoff Palmer one of my old boys.

Coached several athletes to International level and one to two Olympics.

You do not have to have been a superstar to be a good coach.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I voted Yes, even though I’m proper **** at footy.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I used to collect panini stickers and I have an extensive back catalogue of Rothmans annual yearbooks. Does that count?
Compared to me mate, that makes you a Ballon D’or winner

Bryce

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Enjoyed that but because it’s the mix, someone will be along in a minute to say Bryce is s*** and should be dropped! :D
Fair point well made lol
I still reckon that’s the furthest I have ever seen a keeper punch at molineux . Probably 25 metres . Bully was the oppo manager and Andy Thompson our manager. Thompson happy enough with me lol

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just read a post where the poster states so many football fans know little about the game.
Although Professional Football has its complexities on and off the pitch, I thought it would be interesting to see how many posters played regular football after they left school.
Be it socially, Sunday league , even professional.
I played Sunday league until I was 25. Then life got in the way.
I played for a few years at High School then I discovered punk rock and drugs

waveney wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yip
Played in the top division of local Sunday league until 41 ....marked an ex England number 9 ...scored the winning goal in a tournament and collected the trophy off Martin Peters ,,and played for the same team as Zico ( sadly a year after he played )

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No one taught me as a kid. **** of an older brother hated my very existence, dad not interested in football. Didn’t start until someone (non family) took me to the Molineux in 88 and I saw a certain skinhead striker score again and again and again. Trouble was I was 12 and too far behind. In respect to myself I was playing for the school by 15 and doing very well but I always thought as a kid I just lacked talent. Never occurred to me I was like 8 years of practice behind. Really beat myself up too,

Luckily my kids are great. My daughter lobbed the keeper on Saturday direct from a free kick from miles out. Makes me think the genetics were there lol.

Severnup

Groupie
Reaction score
No one taught me as a kid. **** of an older brother hated my very existence, dad not interested in football. Didn’t start until someone (non family) took me to the Molineux in 88 and I saw a certain skinhead striker score again and again and again. Trouble was I was 12 and too far behind. In respect to myself I was playing for the school by 15 and doing very well but I always thought as a kid I just lacked talent. Never occurred to me I was like 8 years of practice behind. Really beat myself up too,

Luckily my kids are great. My daughter lobbed the keeper on Saturday direct from a free kick from miles out. Makes me think the genetics were there lol.
Happy for you Kebab Warrior . Long may the goals continue. You are obviously a great Father and Mentor.

GoldenHorseshoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I trained with a village team to keep fit, but only played as a sub, usually on the wing because I was pretty quick. My main sport was squash and played in an inter club league, as No.2 or 3 in a 5 man team. On moving to Montreal was trained by Mahmood (MAK) Karim, who was British Open Champion 4 consecutive years, considered in those days to be World Championship. He was in his 60's then but still played a tremendous game.
(Sorry not a lot of football stuff, I weren't all that good).

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Played adult football from 17 to 37. Peak was playing in the Kiddy Prem against a lot of Semi-Pros who turned out for the likes of Stourbridge and Halesowen at the time. Would like to think of myself as a Kevin Foley type full back, limited ability but got through it by reading the game (reasonably) well. That was probably until 30 when my fitness went to dirt, slipped through the divisions and probably turned into a bit of a kicker to make up for my total lack of pace at that point.

No delusions of grandeur with my ability. A coach once asked me why my second touch was always a slide tackle
Don’t worry ,Ron Saunders once told Bully his second touch was usually a header and he did ok for himself :)

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Peaked briefly at isthmian league or whatever it is called now. Mostly played Essex senior league which actually is a lot better than it sounds. Don’t know what the local equivalent would be, Wulfrunians maybe. Back then you could still kick people which was good because that’s mostly what I did.
Bloody high standard the Essex senior league.

Lots of prem clubs send kids to that league now as it is a good proving ground and has been for decades

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Love it mate!!!!

The first one, that was a great strong save as it looks like the ball moved a bit in the air!!

But the one at the feet……. Mate!!! LOVE IT!!!! such a good strong bat away!! Love it when a keeper does that, shows you clearly had a good control over yourself when charging the striker back in the day

Here you go from 2016 . Me in goal . Not bad for me age. A couple of decent saves. We win 5 3

Dubwolf71

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Danishwolfs story about Hojberg playing "secret games" reminded me of this documentary about Kevin Moran aired recently on RTE. Well worth a look if you have the time and can access.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Played Sunday League as a keeper until early 20's, then life took over.

My mind was prime Manuel Neuer, but my body had neither the strength, speed or agility to keep up.
It is a sad day when the last paragraph happens……

Been told by people I worked with that it happens almost over night and out of nowhere sometimes….

So cruel…..

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Danishwolfs story about Hojberg playing "secret games" reminded me of this documentary about Kevin Moran aired recently on RTE. Well worth a look if you have the time and can access.

When David Davis was in the first team with us I used to see him every Thursday night playing in a 6 a side league with his mates.

old jacks thumb

Groupie
Reaction score
It is a sad day when the last paragraph happens……

Been told by people I worked with that it happens almost over night and out of nowhere sometimes….

So cruel…..
This is what happened to me. My legs just couldn’t keep up with my head. The game had also evolved from simple pass,move,pass,shoot and a more physical sport to what it is now with all the flicks and stepovers and street skills and falling over at the slightest of contacts.

gullykular

Reaction score
Currently playing at West Midlands Regional League Div 2, having had a couple of stints at Prem level, usually derailed but my season ticket taking precedence. Had a trial at Wolves when I was 14, up against the likes of Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Jamie Reckord, Sam Morsy, who were basically built like men at that age and ran all over me frankly.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Currently playing at West Midlands Regional League Div 2, having had a couple of stints at Prem level, usually derailed but my season ticket taking precedence. Had a trial at Wolves when I was 14, up against the likes of Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Jamie Reckord, Sam Morsy, who were basically built like men at that age and ran all over me frankly.
That is the sad reality of a lot of English academies now mate.

Being physically big or powerful from a young age is always a massive criteria people look for and so often I saw when supporting academy players in my early career, these lads had the biggest problems adjusting to the jump in level from club/school football.

I bet you could pick a pass, dribble and do more technical bits better than them…….

Some lads I went to school with were better than lads in my academy…. I didn’t understand why and how they weren’t picked up at the time…..

So much lost talent in British football because They are Late bloomers physically even though they are little magicians or striking dynamos.

Brizzlewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will be strutting my stuff tonight in a defensive midfield role in an 8 a side........born in the season that Wolves were last top flight champions

Back
Top Bottom