Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Bentley

JamesWolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t believe we didn’t sign a new number one in the summer. Bentley in the Tom King role rather than number 2 seems about right to me? Rudiculous from Fosun

Didn't we also give Sa a brand new deal ?

DJLWolf

Reaction score
That could be said about a few others . That's what happens when you have no plan and sell your so called better players and replace them with bang average Billy .

Exactly this.

This is the situation you end up in when you solely focus on the balance sheet, rather than on the quality of player you're bringing in.

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't we also give Sa a brand new deal ?
Honestly you could put Sa and Bentley in net together at the same time and I still wouldn’t feel overly confident of not conceding some calamity

Linked in the summer with Kelleher and Ariola, whilst Henderson and possibly even Bounou were available lol. Stuck with these two clowns instead. How bad must Tom King be?

SmiffyWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Honestly you could put Sa and Bentley in net together at the same time and I still wouldn’t feel overly confident of not conceding some calamity
They would jump into each other and leave a open goal. It's just a complete shambles at the moment and that lies with Fosun

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can’t believe we didn’t sign a new number one in the summer. Bentley in the Tom King role rather than at number 2 would prob be ok. Ridiculous from Fosun
The Tom King one for me is baffling! He is a technically atrocious keeper! Honestly he is sooooo bad for a professional.

I put here a week or two back, I had to review video on him and write a report on him, after a scout put his name forward as a signing to be our clubs new number 2 who could challenge for the starting jersey.

Oooffff……. I watched his game tape and said in my report he was a waste of transfer budget and we would be better of promoting a highly rated academy keeper (he went to play in the championship) than him as he has slow reactions and terrible foot placement and speed meaning he gets casuhht out by “routine shots” needing to make a more impressive looking save or get beaten making an average shot look like a banger as it went in…..

He should have been no where near our prem club, even as third choice! He isn’t championship or league 1 starting keeper standard if you are club thinking of pushing for league honours.

Now hear me out on this one, as even though he was awful last night…….

Bentley is a decent back up keeper, but he looked rusty as all heck last night, the first and second goals were the movement and reactions of a keeper who hasn’t seen active match play in some time. It is more exposing for a keeper, as if they are a second out in reactions or sloppy with footwork as not match sharp like an outfielder can be and some were last night, they concede a goal but the midfielder gets away unpunished on the score board.

Jose Sa, is a relegation quality keeper in terms of technique and GK IQ, he had one good season. Then Video people got to review him to give a sheet on him to their strikers and ball players and he is exposed most weeks, if he doesn’t expose himself with his terribly erratic thinking. He should have been upgraded in the summer as priority one! As a team fighting relegation need a good striker every bit as much as a striker. for a relegation side a quality keeper is worth their weight in goldz

wolfgar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Tom King one for me is baffling! He is a technically atrocious keeper! Honestly he is sooooo bad for a professional.

I put here a week or two back, I had to review video on him and write a report on him, after a scout put his name forward as a signing to be our clubs new number 2 who could challenge for the starting jersey.

Oooffff……. I watched his game tape and said in my report he was a waste of transfer budget and we would be better of promoting a highly rated academy keeper (he went to play in the championship) than him as he has slow reactions and terrible foot placement and speed meaning he gets casuhht out by “routine shots” needing to make a more impressive looking save or get beaten making an average shot look like a banger as it went in…..

He should have been no where near our prem club, even as third choice! He isn’t championship or league 1 starting keeper standard if you are club thinking of pushing for league honours.

Bentley is a decent back up keeper, but he looked rusty as all heck last night, the first and second goals were the movement and reactions of a keeper who hasn’t seen active match play in some time. It is more exposing for a keeper, as if they are a second out in reactions or sloppy with footwork as not match sharp like an outfielder can be and some were last night, they concede a goal but the midfielder gets away unpunished on the score board.

Jose Sa, is a relegation quality keeper in terms of technique and GK IQ, he had one good season. Then Video people got to review him to give a sheet on him to their strikers and ball players and he is exposed most weeks, if he doesn’t expose himself with his terribly erratic thinking. He should have been upgraded in the summer as priority one! As a team fighting relegation need a good striker every bit as much as a striker. for a relegation side a quality keeper is worth their weight in goldz
A quality keeper can literally be the difference, and we've got a choice between two who look to me like they could gift the opposition a goal at any moment. Doesn't help matters much really. Like you, replacing Sa would have been priority number one for me in the summer. At most other clubs I'm certain it would have been. We had bigger priorities though obvs.

Wolowolf6

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can’t believe we didn’t sign a new number one in the summer. Bentley in the Tom King role rather than at number 2 would prob be ok. Ridiculous from Fosun

I feel this last part could be copied, pasted, and tagged on to rather a lot of sentences that describe the club’s recent actions.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score

I should probably bow to your obviously superior knowledge on keepers. But I do have a few questions on this.

Is this a problem with the modern world of no reserve football, 10 years ago I imagine Bentley would have had a game every week so he wouldn't look so rusty.

How many goals would you say we have we actually conceded this season due to Sa's actual 'goalkeeping' as opposed to his distribution? I'm sure an expert could find fault with lots of things, but to the untrained eye only the Estupinan one sticks out, and even there he's not made an awful mistake.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Linked in the summer with Kelleher and Ariola, whilst Henderson and possibly even Bounou were available lol. Stuck with these two clowns instead. How bad must Tom King be?
Having seen King for 10 mins against Rennes the answer is truly atrocious. Think 6' fridge going down in stages.....

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Bentley was poor last night. Sa would have save at least 2 of the goals...

Not very good.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I should probably bow to your obviously superior knowledge on keepers. But I do have a few questions on this.

Is this a problem with the modern world of no reserve football, 10 years ago I imagine Bentley would have had a game every week so he wouldn't look so rusty.

How many goals would you say we have we actually conceded this season due to Sa's actual 'goalkeeping' as opposed to his distribution? I'm sure an expert could find fault with lots of things, but to the untrained eye only the Estupinan one sticks out, and even there he's not made an awful mistake.
Yeah, you are bang on with Bentley, reserve games were a good standard for players to get fitness back but in a far less demanding environment. I actually think the development of young talent after 21 is stunted because of the move away, but it has helped others so it is swings and roundabouts lol.

Without re-watching the goals mate, I can’t say off hand and to throw a number out would be really disingenuous. But you do have to factor in the “distribution” error goals
sadly. GK’s from a young age are drilled into multiple throw types, kick types and ground passing to help them pick the right one at the right time. This glaring whole in his game is more than just his ground work, he can only kick well using the running volley type swiping kick, you will have noticed after the first season where it was a good weapon, teams rush to put blockers in his path or bump him when he claims a cross. This then clearly rattles him or panics him as the kicks are then more wayward and look how often he reacts and shoves/barges the attacker……

Look at his penalty record and how it is the same style of pen everytime! He rushes, cannot get there and smashes the striker. Look at how many times the striker wasn’t going to score even if he collects the ball. Or how many times he rushes, slides and misses the ball. It is why the drilled pass forward behind defenders towards him as a through ball is used so often, his decision making is very very poor and because he has slow and sloppy footwork, he cannot control his body weight and change direction well. Hence all the missed claims and pens and why it is a much used tactic against us. The vardy pen last season was the perfect and clear example of the massive weakness he has in decision making, control of movement and footwork.

The hole in his game is too happily excused here as “the curse of the modern keeper” needing to pay from the back. The issue with Sa, is that all of his distribution from throws or hand started kicks is quite weak.

Sam any mock meslier on here, but Sa is actually technically a weaker keeper than him.

The lad is 29, been around the portugal squad for many many years and never got a cap!

Others have in that time, Rui got dropped for the keeper who got to the champions league final with Marcal, so that is another excuse that doesn’t wash that Rui has held the shirt and no one else has had a chance.

surreywolf

Reaction score
That could be said about a few others . That's what happens when you have no plan and sell your so called better players and replace them with bang average Billy .

Yes but some others eg S Bueno should improve - Bentley’s positioning for the first goal was nothing short of scandalous

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score
Yeah, you are bang on with Bentley, reserve games were a good standard for players to get fitness back but in a far less demanding environment. I actually think the development of young talent after 21 is stunted because of the move away, but it has helped others so it is swings and roundabouts lol.

Without re-watching the goals mate, I can’t say off hand and to throw a number out would be really disingenuous. But you do have to factor in the “distribution” error goals
sadly. GK’s from a young age are drilled into multiple throw types, kick types and ground passing to help them pick the right one at the right time. This glaring whole in his game is more than just his ground work, he can only kick well using the running volley type swiping kick, you will have noticed after the first season where it was a good weapon, teams rush to put blockers in his path or bump him when he claims a cross. This then clearly rattles him or panics him as the kicks are then more wayward and look how often he reacts and shoves/barges the attacker……

Look at his penalty record and how it is the same style of pen everytime! He rushes, cannot get there and smashes the striker. Look at how many times the striker wasn’t going to score even if he collects the ball. Or how many times he rushes, slides and misses the ball. It is why the drilled pass forward behind defenders towards him as a through ball is used so often, his decision making is very very poor and because he has slow and sloppy footwork, he cannot control his body weight and change direction well. Hence all the missed claims and pens and why it is a much used tactic against us. The vardy pen last season was the perfect and clear example of the massive weakness he has in decision making, control of movement and footwork.

The hole in his game is too happily excused here as “the curse of the modern keeper” needing to pay from the back. The issue with Sa, is that all of his distribution from throws or hand started kicks is quite weak.

Sam any mock meslier on here, but Sa is actually technically a weaker keeper than him.

The lad is 29, been around the portugal squad for many many years and never got a cap!

Others have in that time, Rui got dropped for the keeper who got to the champions league final with Marcal, so that is another excuse that doesn’t wash that Rui has held the shirt and no one else has had a chance.
Cheers.

The rushing out to strikers in 1 on 1s has certainly been a weakness, I'm really hoping the new coach is going to improve him there. I think he did get a bit better, but he was certainly vulnerable to 'clever' strikers like Vardy, who would make the contact whether he was truly reckless or not.

For my money every team blocks keepers trying to counter attack from corners, it's a bit ironic that his worst distribution error of the season (Robertson's goal) was exactly that sort of kick and I don't think he got impeded, he either realised what a bad idea it was before he actually kicked it, or just messed it up.

Of all the problems we have currently I don't think Sa is a major one, judging by last night Sa getting injured would be a massive one (but maybe that's harsh and Bentley isn't as bad as it looked - I was probably harsh on him for the 3rd, from behind the goal it did look quite a wicked strike).

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cheers.

The rushing out to strikers in 1 on 1s has certainly been a weakness, I'm really hoping the new coach is going to improve him there. I think he did get a bit better, but he was certainly vulnerable to 'clever' strikers like Vardy, who would make the contact whether he was truly reckless or not.

For my money every team blocks keepers trying to counter attack from corners, it's a bit ironic that his worst distribution error of the season (Robertson's goal) was exactly that sort of kick and I don't think he got impeded, he either realised what a bad idea it was before he actually kicked it, or just messed it up.

Of all the problems we have currently I don't think Sa is a major one, judging by last night Sa getting injured would be a massive one (but maybe that's harsh and Bentley isn't as bad as it looked - I was probably harsh on him for the 3rd, from behind the goal it did look quite a wicked strike).
To be fair, Bentley is a solid number 2 for most prem clubs. But you can just see he has not match sharpness.

The third one for me, was one hell of a hit and he would have scored that against a high number of keepers in the championship.

But he wouldn’t score that against most decent prem keepers, he would 100% have made them earn that save as the ball was motoring and flew bloody well though hahaha

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How bad must Sarkic have been theen then to not be kept ahead of Bentley and King

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having seen King for 10 mins against Rennes the answer is truly atrocious. Think 6' fridge going down in stages.....
I laughed in my seat at that one where he flopped down and only just got to a tame daisy cutter……

the guy next to me was baffled so I talked him through it and he just went “oh Jesus he ain’t good is he?”

Hahaha

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest, you knew after Everton Bentley was nowhere near it.

It's why I have always backed Sa and found the calls for Bentley baffling.

The Everton game was his chance to impress and he cost us a win in the last minute. That showed he can't deal with the pressure, as well as showing he has mistakes in him. It was his big opportunity, and he blew it.

Last night, under new management, he has the next big opportunity, and he blew it.

It's character as much as technical - and this guy was captain and is part of the leadership group!!!

SingYourHeartsOut

Reaction score

The Everton game was his chance to impress and he cost us a win in the last minute. That showed he can't deal with the pressure, as well as showing he has mistakes in him. It was his big opportunity, and he blew it.

Last night, under new management, he has the next big opportunity, and he blew it.

It's character as much as technical - and this guy was captain and is part of the leadership group!!!
He did well at Old Trafford though, made a bad mistake on about 95 minutes v Everton, by Arsenal everyone had knocked off! So I'm not sure there's enough to hang him on yet. (Trying to be optimistic unless @berwickwolf starts worrying for my well-being! ;) )

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sa is crap with the ball at his feet but is levels above the other keepers we have. The simple thing that GON needs to do is to adapt the style so he’s not having to play with the ball. It’s not rocket science.

Vtrpres

Groupie
Reaction score
I just wonder if Mary Earps would come to Molineux.
Couldn’t be worse than the clowns we have now in goal.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wyatt Earp couldn't do worse than Bentley or King....

Wyatt Earp's cohort Doc Holliday died of TB and could barely breathe come the end............... so he would fit right in with the ever decreasing fitness levels.

One more thing on this theme. Fosun would do well to watch Tombstone because in it Kurt Russell as Wyatt bellows out the words " You tell them I'm coming and hells coming with me ! " well that will be a good description of the Molineux crowd if the PE Teacher is not sacked very soon !

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sa is crap with the ball at his feet but is levels above the other keepers we have. The simple thing that GON needs to do is to adapt the style so he’s not having to play with the ball. It’s not rocket science.
To GO it is though…..

Reactions: Ned

KnowNuttin

Reaction score
Lonergan'esque last night.. To be fair he wasn't disastrously bad in the handful of games he had at the end of last season. Maybe just another symptom of a squad whose morale is on the floor?

Back
Top Bottom