Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Gary O’Neil

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Would all those on here who are telling us how crap GON is let me know how many points we would have now if JLO was still in charge . Try to be honest please
Nobody knows of course. The best guess is that we've played 5 games and 4 of those were the same as under Lopetegui. From those we got 6 points last season. We really could have got something at Palace (the one he didn't manage last season). So 7 isn't silly.

None of this really matters though. The massive concern is how we've fallen apart 3 times out of 5 games at half time.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we can get 6 points from our next 5 Premier League matches and beat Ipswich he should IMO be safe until December .
Anything less and the process of replacement must be in full swing.

Antonline1987

Groupie
Reaction score
6 points without doubt JL is a better manager than O’Neil his in game subs won us many points
his subs also lost us points going 3 at the back when we had momentum like Newcastle away ..... not saying he's not a better manager because he obviously has had some elite jobs at Spain Madrid Saville ect but he made a fair few tactical mistakes aswell

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nobody knows of course. The best guess is that we've played 5 games and 4 of those were the same as under Lopetegui. From those we got 6 points last season. We really could have got something at Palace (the one he didn't manage last season). So 7 isn't silly.

None of this really matters though. The massive concern is how we've fallen apart 3 times out of 5 games at half time.

I really don’t understand why some are denying this trend with poor second half performances. I mean, it’s even in the objective stats of games so far this season (see below). The defence falls apart second half, and we have conceded 10 of our 11 goals after HT.

Defensively, we’re disorganised and prone to errors when we defend deep, which is how we seem to come out every second half until we’re chasing the game from a losing position. If he really wants to play deeper second half, perhaps because we don’t have the legs to press high for 90 mins, then he needs to set us up for it - move to three at the back, and bring on Toti or Santi to provide a bit more protection, and use the WB’s to counter on the break. What we’re doing instead is just playing the same formation as first half, but everyone is further back, and the back line have no space to reset and play the ball out and retain possession. So it becomes hurried clearances direct to the opposing team, who just keep pressing forward.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would all those on here who are telling us how crap GON is let me know how many points we would have now if JLO was still in charge . Try to be honest please

I personally don't think Mr O'Neil is "crap" as you put it, but trying to answer your question, I'm not sure how anyone could accurately say how many points we'd have if JL, Pep or any other was in charge. Trying not to sit on the fence, the answer would have to be somewhere between 0 and 15.

Will Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
14th instead of 15th for example. Not worth getting too worried about, really.

Genuine question for those touting, Edwards or Potter. Can you just remind me what they have won as a manager and what particularly stands out on their CV?

That’s right, the Potter who looked way out of his depth, at Chelsea and Edwards, who’s team is currently sitting rock bottom of the PL.

Be careful what you wish for.

Potter wouldn’t come to us. Edwards is too inexperienced for this level IMO.

However, there are many more quality coaches from other leagues who may want to manage in the PL.

If Villa can get Unai Emery then we can do much better than GON if it doesn’t work out

O.W.E.I

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we can get 6 points from our next 5 Premier League matches and beat Ipswich he should IMO be safe until December .
Anything less and the process of replacement must be in full swing.
6 points from 5 games?
Mate, give up now, your career in stand-up is a non-starter.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This second half issue isn't going away - is he still in that Bournemouth mentality of defend whatever we have to try and get something?

Our weak mentality is showing - whenever we concede that we look like conceding another straight away. Almost like our players know the game is gone as the momentum has turned upside down.

They know we are very unlikely to score another. Inevitable given that we've been averaging less than a goal a game for over 2 seasons now. It means concede one goal, and we won't win.

I think what happens is that we get desperate for that next goal and leave ourselves wide open. Liverpools second goal evidence of that. It's not just Sa's hurried throw out, it's the rest of the team also all over the place. Like they can't transition of going forward to going backwards without a couple of minutes to work it out. Teams like Liverpool have punished you in a couple of seconds, though, as will Brighton, Arsenal, Man City.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
May 2024: "Sure it sucks to be relegated but at least Neto played on the left!"
And playing on the right of a 442 is completely different to playing on the right of a 433.
I really don’t understand why some are denying this trend with poor second half performances. I mean, it’s even in the objective stats of games so far this season (see below). The defence falls apart second half, and we have conceded 10 of our 11 goals after HT.

Defensively, we’re disorganised and prone to errors when we defend deep, which is how we seem to come out every second half until we’re chasing the game from a losing position. If he really wants to play deeper second half, perhaps because we don’t have the legs to press high for 90 mins, then he needs to set us up for it - move to three at the back, and bring on Toti or Santi to provide a bit more protection, and use the WB’s to counter on the break. What we’re doing instead is just playing the same formation as first half, but everyone is further back, and the back line have no space to reset and play the ball out and retain possession. So it becomes hurried clearances direct to the opposing team, who just keep pressing forward.

Maybe, although against Brighton we came out and tried to play way too high, also against Palace coming out of the defensive line to press. Not picking up runners when the midfield tires also an issue. No striker who can hold the ball up and relieve pressure. Lots of problems!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok, I’m going to try and be a bit more positive, despite my concerns about GO.

Yesterday, first half, we looked very good. We played on the front foot, pressed Liverpool, moved the ball around nicely, and but for more clinical finishing, would have been 2-3 up at HT. GO can therefore clearly coach, select, and organise the team. Yes it all went to pot second half, again, but the situation is not without hope.

So, if GO feels we must be less positive in the second half, and defend with more numbers, then surely he can better prepare a plan b for this? Whether it’s moving to three at the back, or putting an extra player in midfield to protect the back line, or whatever, just make us solid, able to retain possession and control the game. If we can do this, then we should be able to start to get something out of even hard games like those yesterday.

Of course, it would be even better if we can improve fitness and use subs to sustain our positive first half performances deep into the second half.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In your opinion. In mine he’d still be here if he’d had backing.

Sir Bobby Robson only had 14 signings in his 13 years at Ipswich. He brought some brilliant players up through the youth system. He won the League twice with PSV Eindhoven, won the league twice with Porto, without a record spend. Won the Copa del Rey, Sopacopa with Barca and made Ipswich Town in to one of the best teams in England.

He won the EUFA CUP with Ipswich and Barca.

Can you imagine Bobby Robson using his media buddy to orchestrate his own exit, because he couldn't get the money he wanted? Or do you think he would have got on with the job and got the best out of the players he had?

To me Bobby Robson was everything in a manager. A winner, A club man, a man who got the best out of what he was given an elite manager and a gentleman.

Last edited:

martin120863

Reaction score
Hobbs needs to acknowledge his mistake and end this debacle early. O'Neil and his ragtag bunch of coaching misfits are nowhere near the level they need to be to manage Wolves. Fosun need to realise that putting their grand investment in the hands of a novice manager is folly and a succession plan needs to be agreed starting right now. Hobbs - give your head a wobble and realise what you've done!!!

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sir Bobby Robson only had 14 signings in his 13 years at Ipswich. He brought some brilliant players up through the youth system. He won the League twice with PSV Eindhoven, won the league twice with Porto, without a record spend. Won the Copa del Rey, Sopacopa with Barca and made Ipswich Town in to one of the best teams in England.

Can you imagine Bobby Robson using his media buddy to orchestrate his own exit, because he couldn't get the money he wanted? Or do you think he would have got on with the job and got the best out of the players he had?

To me Bobby Robson was everything in a manager. A winner, A club man, a man who got the best out of what he was given an elite manager and a gentleman.
What the **** has Bobby Robson got to do with Fosun not backing Julen despite telling him they would?

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What the **** has Bobby Robson got to do with Fosun not backing Julen despite telling him they would?

You are saying he was justified leaving, because he couldn't get the money for transfers he wanted. I am saying could you imagine Sir Bobby Robson doing that and saying an Elite manager and someone who puts the club before his own ego, does well with what he has and doesn't orchestrate his own removal.

Read this and then tell me what an elite manager and a gentleman is.

Corporate Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we believe the various reporters and pundits, then Hobbs had a huge say in GONs appointment (in Shi’s absence). Hobbs will know that GONs failure will also reflect badly on himself. That’s why I think he will get 10 games. Sadly and to coin an overused cliche - it’s a results driven business. We’re in danger of being perceived as another Watford the rate Shi is hiring/firing head coaches - a laughing stock who no half decent manager will want to come to.

I see a lot comments on here about his negativity and/or acceptance of inferiority in his comments to the media. IMVHO I think this is just him doing exactly what he was brought in to do - survival. Be grateful for the opportunity Gary, do as you’re told and work within the constraints you’re given.

The last point I’d like to make is that he has gone up against Klopp, De Zerbi and Hodgson and been “schooled” tactically by all 3 of them who quickly and cleverly adopted tactics to undermine GONs game plan. The only tactical nouse I have seen from GON was yesterday by replacing Hwang with Doherty to counter that Liverpool were overloading on Semedo.

Last edited:

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You are saying he was justified leaving, because he couldn't get the money for transfers he wanted. I am saying could you imagine Sir Bobby Robson doing that and saying an Elite manager and someone who puts the club before his own ego, does well with what he has and doesn't orchestrate his own removal.

Read this and then tell me what an elite manager and a gentleman is.

Bobby Robson has **** all to do with Wolves. You’re really scraping the barrel to justify your dislike of Lopetegui now.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
“We conceded an absolutely crazy second goals which is a lot of the stuff I have been trying to get out of the players really since I got here.
“They play quite loosely and go off and do their own things. That is just the way they have been playing for an awful long time. So, trying to take that unpredictability out as much as we can until we get to the final third.

Back
Top Bottom